Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So my Macro extension tubes arrived today....

• 30-05-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭

And I just got a chance to have a quick snap with them out the back garden. I'm pretty new to photography and only picked up my Canon 550D about 2 weeks ago so I was really pleased with how these came out and how well the macro tubes worked considering they only cost about a tenner. This was using a 50mm 1.8 canon lens and the smallest tube. I'm pretty sure I can get much closer and will try out some more shots at the weekend if I have time

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darrenjkenny/sets/72157626719575937/

Would recommend picking up a set for anyone new to macro photography before handing over the guts of 400 for a dedicated macro lens.

5777495153_35df63beed_z.jpg

5777463305_6b09133a7b_z.jpg

5783011659_1c2fc77a54.jpg
    IMG_6553.jpg by Darren Kenny, on Flickr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

GStormcrow wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I can get much closer and will try out some more shots at the weekend if I have time

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darrenjkenny/sets/72157626719575937/

Would recommend picking up a set for anyone new to macro photography before handing over the guts of 400 for a dedicated macro lens.

Well done! I'm sure you're gonna have much more fun that the brief session in your garden today...and agree with you that extension tubes are great way of venturing into the world of macro photography without spending all the cash (especially when one realises that the tubes can be combined;))..... However, I must admit that I also have a dedicated macro lens and it very rarely comes off the camera. Love it to bits and when you combine the lens and the tubes, a completely new world opens up....it's like a magic. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

It's deffinitely a lot of fun. I couldn't believe what was living on my plants as I didn't realise there were bugs on it until I loaded the pic up on the computer! I'll be going back at that same plant again with the full set of tubes to see what those things are. haha.

I was hoping to pick up a macro lens at some stage but I've just bought the camera and the 50mm 1.8 so need to save again. Will keep an eye out for a used tamron 90mm macro :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Can I be lazy and ask where/how much? Great results!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Prenderb wrote: »
    Can I be lazy and ask where/how much? Great results!

You can pick up a set of rings/tubes for as cheap as a tenner on ebay/amazon and the likes.

I picked the canon ones up from amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MACRO-EXTENSION-TUBES-CANON-Camera/dp/B001CWZE6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306831553&sr=8-1

They have nikon fit as well I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

How do they work? Do you just put the tube on your Camera and put the lens on the tube? O.O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

marko93 wrote: »
    How do they work? Do you just put the tube on your Camera and put the lens on the tube? O.O

Yep. And since there are no optical elements to the tubes you don't have to worry about a loss in image quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

You will lose AF with these though, unless you pick up a set of AF Kenkos( Woah they've hiked in price!) ones off ebay for 50 ish.

Maybe these instead of Kenkos actually: http://cgi.ebay.ie/AF-Macro-Extension-Tube-Set-13-21-31-Rings-Canon-/330569274123?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item4cf776d30b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yep. And since there are no optical elements to the tubes you don't have to worry about a loss in image quality.

You do lose some light getting to the sensor/film, though. So while your aperture stays the same than without the tubes, your image will be darker (assuming all other variables stay the same). But that's usually not that big a deal, and can be compensated for (longer shutter speed, higher ISO, light source, etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Just ordered a set - how do you meter?

• Advertisement

Just ordered a set - how do you meter?

Wondering the same thing (and also just picked up a set).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭linearcutter

I have used a set of these to great effect for a while now....really great fun. A whole new world indeed.
    Not in a rush to go out and buy a "real" macro lens to be honest. Enjoy the new toy folks....I'm predicting a flurry of macro shots around here in 2-3 working days!

work.7191052.1.flat,550x550,075,f.yellow-macro.jpg

work.7190992.1.flat,550x550,075,f.orange-macro-flower.jpg

work.7064176.2.flat,550x550,075,f.soft-focus-macro-flower.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

Love the shots! As I don't have paypal or any of that stuff, anyone know a retailer which stocks them in Dublin?
    I'd like to (someday) get my hands on a macro lens, this seems an astonishingly cheap and easy substitute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I bought some cheap ones from ebay but never got them to work. And every time I put them on they seem to be stuck and it takes me ages to get them off. I get into a mild panic each time, try forcing them off, then panic in case I break the lens/body while forcing, then eventually manage to use a pin to 'release the pin' (or whatever it is) and get them off.

i'll probably give them another go soon and go through the whole above process again and then dump them in my cupboard again.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

This seems awesome! All i need now is a nifty fifthy..

Anyone have experience with metering?

Also are they designed for just 50mm or would my 105 work aswell?

They should work with any lens. With the zoom on the 105 you'll prob get much closer shots.

I'm very new to DSLR photography so not really sure what metering is but I'm sure someone will clear it up when they get their new tubes ;)

not really sure what metering is

How did you determine what shutter speed & aperture to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

dinneenp wrote: »
    I bought some cheap ones from ebay but never got them to work. And every time I put them on they seem to be stuck and it takes me ages to get them off. I get into a mild panic each time, try forcing them off, then panic in case I break the lens/body while forcing, then eventually manage to use a pin to 'release the pin' (or whatever it is) and get them off.

i'll probably give them another go soon and go through the whole above process again and then dump them in my cupboard again.....

If your cheap set are the same as my cheap set then the wee silver release button is not a push button but a slide one. I was almost in tears trying to get the fecking thing off my camera when I first used them. :o
    How did you determine what shutter speed & aperture to use?
    Trial and error. Cheap sets loose all functionallity to the camera. As there is no light loss through the rings you can take a reading before putting the rings on the camera and use that reading as a starting point in M-mode. Bracketing helps.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Ok so I set the aperture with the lens attached to the camera. Then using the DOF button trick I took the 50mm off and attached the tubes. The 50mm stays at the aperture selected previously. Then I used shutter priority mode and adjusted shutter speed and iso using live view until I got a shot I was happy with.

Explained it to a guy in work as below:

"One thing you need to do though is set the aperture you want while the 50mm is attached directly to the camera. Then press the DOF preview button on the front (under the lens release button) and while holding the DOF preview button down, disconnect the lens. This leaves the aperture set on the lens, otherwise it defaults to 0.0 (no electrical connection from lens to body with the tubes attached) and only the very centre of the image is in focus."

• Advertisement

Thanks! Have aperture rings, so that should be grand... trial and error it is so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pikaia

Thanks! Have aperture rings, so that should be grand... trial and error it is so :)

What isn't trial and error :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭garden_snapper

Do these rings work with a Canon 550D? Everytime I hold the button down but as soon as I disconnect the lens the aperture reverts to 0.0! Driving me mad at this stage! I tried using a nifty 50 and 18-55mm but same happening everytime. Please help :confused:

Do these rings work with a Canon 550D? Everytime I hold the button down but as soon as I disconnect the lens the aperture reverts to 0.0! Driving me mad at this stage! I tried using a nifty 50 and 18-55mm but same happening everytime. Please help :confused:

Read the entire thread ;)

Ok so the OP uses a 550D - schoolboy error on my behalf.

Not sure what I am doing wrong then. I attach the nifty in aperture mode. Set to 1.8. Push in and hold down the DOF button but as soon as I take off the lens it reverts to 0.0. I have tired a couple of times. I followed the instructions previously posted (below) but no luck :-(

"Ok so I set the aperture with the lens attached to the camera. Then using the DOF button trick I took the 50mm off and attached the tubes. The 50mm stays at the aperture selected previously. Then I used shutter priority mode and adjusted shutter speed and iso using live view until I got a shot I was happy with."
    Read the entire thread ;)

Ok it will revert back to 0.0 but if you do it right you will see that the lens blades close in on and stay at the aperture you set. So even though it reads 0.0 its actually still at whatever aperture set previously. The reason it always goes back to 0.0 is because there is no electrical connection between the lens itself and the camera body. Also, I had better results with a higher aperture, 1.8 isn't the sharpest anyway on the nifty fifty. Try it at f/8 or f/11

Try this:

Attach the 50mm
    While looking at lens glass, press the DOF button. Notice how the blades close?
    Ok while holding the DOF down, release the lens. If you do it right the blades wont retract and will stay at whatever aperture you set it at. (its a little tricky but you'll get it)
    Now you put on your tubes and then attach the 50mm.
    You need to get really close to the object you're focussing on or else you will just see black.

Let me know if that works :)

Ok it will revert back to 0.0 but if you do it right you will see that the lens blades close in on and stay at the aperture you set. So even though it reads 0.0 its actually still at whatever aperture set previously. The reason it always goes back to 0.0 is because there is no electrical connection between the lens itself and the camera body. Also, I had better results with a higher aperture, 1.8 isn't the sharpest anyway on the nifty fifty. Try it at f/8 or f/11

Try this:

Attach the 50mm
    While looking at lens glass, press the DOF button. Notice how the blades close?
    Ok while holding the DOF down, release the lens. If you do it right the blades wont retract and will stay at whatever aperture you set it at. (its a little tricky but you'll get it)
    Now you put on your tubes and then attach the 50mm.
    You need to get really close to the object you're focussing on or else you will just see black.

Let me know if that works :)

Thanks a mil. Will give this a try tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Advertisement