Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now this is what i call looking for a job!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

m.j.w wrote: »
    Cant believe people are giving out about this and saying he is attention seeking. Of course he is, he is trying to get himself a job. Is buying a nice suit to go for an interview attention seeking?

My point is that when you are unemployed, and I'm speaking from experience here, most people are hugely embarrassed at their status and there are all the inherent confidence issues that come with the rank of unemployment.

All I'm asking is, how come this guy is suddenly deemed to be employable after he lands a slot on the 9 O' Clock news??? Is there anything we can look at here, maybe with a view to asking ourselves is it at all possible that there is a major problem in this country with the way UNEMPLOYED people are being connected with JOB OPPORTUNITIES, when a person cannot get any access to a job opportunity, yet within hours of putting himself on the 9 O' Clock News, twitter comes alive with job opportunities and companies wishing to speak to him about giving him work???

He can't be anymore qualified or experienced 2 hours after the news than he was at quarter to nine that same evening???

I genuinely believe that this is hugely indicative of huge problems that are out there that keep people unemployed.

I know we can't all be employers but we can't all be employee's either and I can't see how he took 2K of his money and put it into a bill board advertisement. My impression of him being interviewed was that he was a publicity seeker.

m.j.w wrote: »
    Cant believe people are giving out about this and saying he is attention seeking. Of course he is, he is trying to get himself a job. Is buying a nice suit to go for an interview attention seeking?

No it's not, because the expectation is there for an interview that you make an effort and wear a suit for formalwear of some sort as opposed to a Nike tracksuit.

It just seems to me these days that in order to get anywhere with your career or job creation or where you are having a crisis in your life with some issue, that you have to be prepared to come onto RTE1 and discuss it nationally, I think that's completely wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

As far as I can see he's just doing exactly what everyone who has a profile on LinkedIn/Monster etc is doing.

He's been away and come back again. The guy has actually tried. Fair play to him - though I wonder where he got the money...but feck it, it's a mrketing job he's looking for and he's just proved that he's got smarts and the b*&ls to be quite good at it. The fact that RTE have picked up on it is RTE's problem and just an added bonus for him.

I don't understand the "just because you have a degree you shouldn't think you're "entitled" to a job" thing. Why not? If you've worked your arse off for 4 years to get a qualification that allows you to at least be a contender for higher paying jobs, then yeah, you're entitled to be a bit p*&sed off that you can't find anything at all, let alone exactly what you want.
    You spend your school years being told college is the way to go, to better yourself, improve your chances, give you a shot at a decent standard of living and you come out the other end to the dole?? All manners of wrong. I'd question those who feel that they are entitled to come out of college to a job that pays 50k a year straight off, alright. But you should at least come out of college being able to get something. And that's not possible any more.

Normally I'd agree with you HellFire, but the thing is that not everybody has either the capital or the ability to set up businesses.We're not all entrepreneurs. I don't buy into this thing that entrepreneurship is something that can be taught - you either have it or you don't. To put a different slant on your argument - so if we all can't find a job, do we all just get up in the morning and start setting up businesses of our own to create a job for ourselves? Who would work for us if we are all trying to be entrepreneurs? Not everybody can own a company. Same way as not everybody can go into teaching or IT.

As methods to say "PICK ME" out of 450,000 and given the job he's looking for, I'd have to give him a slap on the back for his idea. Added to the fact that he actually is saying he'll emigrate (and therefore, not just sitting around waiting indefinitely), good luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭KarlDrake

My point exactly! This guy is bringing the very serious issue of unemployment and job opportunity, down to the level of the Big Brother contest I think. As to the poster who reckons I'm jealous because I didn't come up with this idea, you are missing my point, which is that we should not have to publicly prostitute ourselves in order to have a fair crack at a job opportunity. This smacks of style to the complete displacement of all substance in relation to getting the right person for the job. It's the Big Brother solution to unemployment, many people are hugely embarrassed by their unemployment status, and would not be prepared to put themselves and their status out there in this manner, nor should they be expected to.

It's funny how everyone on here posting criticisms of me seems to be in stable employment. I wonder how you might feel about it if had ever experienced medium term unemployed...

I started my own business when out of a job. I understand what it's like to work for someone else and to work for myself. I also understand that some people aren't cut out to work for themselves and vice versa and I am very familiar with short, medium and long term unemployment issues.

Bottom line is: bloke looking for a job uses attention grabbing method to gain employment.
    I think it's a great idea and fair play to him.

Some people think that it's a searing indictment on our society that this has garnered attention. Fair enough too. But what this attitude is is narrowminded, bitter begrudgery focusing on the negative. He's looking for a job in marketing and markets himself onto the front pages and all news channels, creates a social media storm and is all over LinkedIn etc.

As I'm sick of saying he has demonstrated his ability to market himself for a marketing role.

One guy doing this and being successful won't be a game changer, but it's worked for him and may help other people think laterally.
    E.g. a SEO graduate wanted to work for one particular company, so created a website with his CV on it that was optimised to bits for the CEO of that company's name.
    The CEO googled himself and sure enough found this guy's site as the number one hit. Hired.

This is a similar deal. It irritates me slightly that no matter how innovative and intelligent some people are that there will always be some people saying boo hiss etc. Of course the country's banjaxed but that not this guy's fault, he's just playing the game in front of him.
    And winning.

KarlDrake wrote: »
    I started my own business when out of a job. I understand what it's like to work for someone else and to work for myself. I also understand that some people aren't cut out to work for themselves and vice versa and I am very familiar with short, medium and long term unemployment issues.

Bottom line is: bloke looking for a job uses attention grabbing method to gain employment.
    I think it's a great idea and fair play to him.

Some people think that it's a searing indictment on our society that this has garnered attention. Fair enough too. But what this attitude is is narrowminded, bitter begrudgery focusing on the negative. He's looking for a job in marketing and markets himself onto the front pages and all news channels, creates a social media storm and is all over LinkedIn etc.

As I'm sick of saying he has demonstrated his ability to market himself for a marketing role.

One guy doing this and being successful won't be a game changer, but it's worked for him and may help other people think laterally.
    E.g. a SEO graduate wanted to work for one particular company, so created a website with his CV on it that was optimised to bits for the CEO of that company's name.
    The CEO googled himself and sure enough found this guy's site as the number one hit. Hired.

This is a similar deal. It irritates me slightly that no matter how innovative and intelligent some people are that there will always be some people saying boo hiss etc. Of course the country's banjaxed but that not this guy's fault, he's just playing the game in front of him.
    And winning.

And I disagree and think he is an attention seeker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Hellfire - I understand the frustrations of being unemployed but I certainly don't hold the same views that you do regarding this guys position.

It seems to upset you to a great degree that he spent €2K of his own cash on marketing himself, that you didn't have that €2k on setting up your business and your opinion is that he wasted his money.

Some people just aren't cut out to be their own boss, most of your posts allude to you starting your own business and that's great, but it's not for everybody, most people aren't cut out to manage themselves and live by the 9-5 routine and do what the boss says, entreprenuerial skills don't come easy to everybody and it's the wiser person that realises they're not cut out for it.

This guy has done the right thing if his field is sales and marketing, he has become the brand and has it in everybodys face. He's given his CV a face and a headstart that will put him at the top of the pile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

And I disagree and think he is an attention seeker.

Isn't that the point of a CV? To bring attention to yourself?;)

I don't get the sour grapes. I have seen your previous posts on unemployment and starting your own business and I get your frustration at the red tape and lack of funding, but why are you so bitter towards a guy who has an innovative idea that's tied into the field he's trying to get into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

My point exactly! This guy is bringing the very serious issue of unemployment and job opportunity, down to the level of the Big Brother contest I think. As to the poster who reckons I'm jealous because I didn't come up with this idea, you are missing my point, which is that we should not have to publicly prostitute ourselves in order to have a fair crack at a job opportunity.

But you are attacking this fellas idea, an idea to get around the whole unemployment and other economic problems the country has, and confusing it with being annoyed at the state of the country, and the steps you have had to take to get around the same problems. If no one ever came up with new ideas, or new ways of using existing ideas, where would the world be?
    This smacks of style to the complete displacement of all substance in relation to getting the right person for the job.

How does it, he is making the job effort, not a company randomly picking someone off the street. A company would now take him on for their own gains, not for his. And a company may just see his idea as a suggestion he has good marketing ideas.

So his idea may well have put him ahead of the rest with the publicity a company may gain. Its up to the company to sort out who the best candidates are for their needs, while the candidates try to demonstrate that they are the most suitable.
    It's the Big Brother solution to unemployment, many people are hugely embarrassed by their unemployment status, and would not be prepared to put themselves and their status out there in this manner, nor should they be expected to.

Well just becuse some unemployed are or might be too embarassed to let people know about it, does this mean everyone has to be?
    It's funny how everyone on here posting criticisms of me seems to be in stable employment. I wonder how you might feel about it if had ever experienced medium term unemployed...

I have spent many times unemployed, and work is very scarce in my field. Judging by your post here, maybe the embarassment should make me hide in a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

As to the poster who reckons I'm jealous because I didn't come up with this idea, you are missing my point, which is that we should not have to publicly prostitute ourselves in order to have a fair crack at a job opportunity.
    Of course it would be great if we didn't have to "publicly prostitute" ourselves but we are in a very very new unemployment market right now, and may very well be likely to be here for some time. You need to stand out from the crowd, and this guy has (that cannot be denied).Whether or not his methods seem crass to you is irrelevant (and tbh he probably couldn't care less) he is getting noticed (first step to getting to at least the interview stage).
    Been there done that thank you very much. Only recently back in employment after being unemployed since Dec 2009. And for what its worth my post would be exactly the same were I still unemployed or not.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

So it seems the owner of the billboard now has 2 dream job offers!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/feilims-billboard-plea-lands-two-dream-job-offers-2673658.html
    AN unemployed marketing graduate who scraped together €2,000 for a massive billboard to find work has been offered two "dream jobs".
    Skint Feilim Mac An Iomaire parted with the last of his life savings to erect a novel hoarding on Dublin's busy Merrion Road, asking employers not force him to leave Ireland.
    But yesterday the 26-year-old, who came up with the idea after being jobless for eight months following his return from a year in Australia, described it as the best investment he had ever made. He landed 20 interviews and was offered top marketing roles with two companies.
    Mr Mac An Iomaire, whose eyecatching 'Jobless Paddy' billboard was taken down on Sunday, said he would decide by the end of the week which of the two Dublin-based jobs to take.
    "I can't quite believe how my life has turned around. Since I put the billboard up, my phone literally hasn't stopped ringing and I've been to about 20 interviews. But the best news for me is that I've received two job offers in the past couple of days and they are both marketing roles and exactly the types of jobs I wanted.
    "I expect to have something sorted by the end of the week and I can now say for certain that I'll be back working by the end of this month.''
    He added: "It's certainly the best €2,000 I've ever spent in my life, because had I not done that I doubt I would have even have had an interview at this stage, never mind a couple of job offers."
    The NUI Galway graduate, who has been living on Jobseeker's Allowance and was forced to move back in with his parents, said he now felt certain for the first time in months that he would not be forced to emigrate like so many of his peers.
    When he returned from Sydney last August, he landed only two inconclusive job interviews, despite sending out more than 100 job applications.
    But his belief that his billboard advert -- in which he faces a number of famous landmarks in Sydney, London and New York with the desperate message 'Save Me From Emigration' -- would turn his life around, has proved correct.
    "I've been very frustrated at being unemployed and being stuck on the sidelines for so long. And as I've said before, I want to stay in this country and be part of its solution, not its problem,'' said Mr Mac An Iomaire.
    "Finally, I now know that I'm going to be working again very soon and I couldn't be happier. I love this country and if I had to leave it again, it would be with a heavy heart. Thankfully, it looks like I'm here to stay."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Delighted for him well deserved :)

Im off up to the hell fire club to put up my own billboard now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TinyT

caseyann wrote: »
    Delighted for him well deserved :)
    That was my reaction too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Right, let's run with this for a minute so... So tomorrow we have 500,000 billboards with 500,000 faces up on them looking for job opportunities... How do we then distinguish anyone of merit from the 500,000 unemployed people up on billboards???

I genuinely think what he did was ridiculous. However if it gets him a job, he may well be proven to have been right in what he did. I think it's a very sad place we have come to however when you are a holder of a university degree and this is what you feel you have to do to get a fair crack at a job opportunity.

If 500,000 people started their own companies tomorrow they would all fail (or as close to all as makes no difference)

Horses for courses

I see he has some offers ,delighted for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Well he marketed himself in a unique way, which is the whole point of his field.

Fair play to him - makes a change to hear a good story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

dan_d wrote: »
    Well he marketed himself in a unique way, which is the whole point of his field.

Fair play to him - makes a change to hear a good story.

Absolutely. And then next person to pull a stunt like this will have to go beyond billboarding in their efforts. Viral tricks only get widespread media coverage on the first outing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

RATM wrote: »
    Absolutely. And then next person to pull a stunt like this will have to go beyond billboarding in their efforts. Viral tricks only get widespread media coverage on the first outing.

Bus billboards on your car bonnet and boot?:D

Fair play to him, he thought outside the box. #winning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Delighted for him. Why didn't I think of that? although I couldn't afford 2k. It isn't much to start up your own business with. Will 2k even pay for all the red tape they put on people trying to start their own business?

Unfortunately regulations in this country are set up in such a way to protect the incumbent and discourage newcomers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

His attitude to me, is indicitative of all that is wrong with this country. He is demonstrating a mindset that is everywhere in this country, which is that people have misplaced notions of entitlement in their heads in relation to all sorts of things, in this case a misplaced notion of entitlement to a job.

If he cannot find employment, then he should take ownership of the problem and create one for himself or else look abroad for a job. This stupid grinning down a TV camera claiming to be some sort of innovative revolutionary with a finger on the national pulse, it's Brendan Kilkenny style publicity.

Anyone can go out there and generate publicity for themselves, what matters when you are looking for a job are core competiencies, job availability in relation to your core competiencies and other considerations such as your willingness to be flexible, etc. Putting up a billboard of yourself looking pathethic, basically threatening to emigrate unless someone will give you a job is pathethic in my eyes and is an insult to others who actually do have to emmigrate to get on with their lives...

The most ubiquitous cliche that I only hear from pissed off Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Trust Paddy Power to see an angle for free publicity :rolleyes:

Delancey wrote: »
    If they are employing the guy and paying him a salary then it's hardly free publicity, it's paid publicity.

caseyann wrote: »
    Bus billboards on your car bonnet and boot?:D

:D Actually I thought of a unique trick last night for the next Jobless Paddy and I'm willing to give it away to anyone who wants to try it. I reckon its even more genius that Jobless Paddy because it won't cost you €2,000 and is virtually free- the very essence of guerilla marketing. So here goes-

1.Set up a free website with your up to date CV on it and blurb about the type of marketing role you're after
    2. Go to http://qrcode.kaywa.com/ and generate a QR barcode.
    3. Print out tons of copies of the code and below it write 'Scan Me'. The barcode will link to your online CV
    4. Now hand them out a 8.55am on a Monday morning directly outside companies where you want to work- you'll create a buzz in that company by 9.15am and sooner or later your CV will be seen by the marketing manager.
    5. Proifit :D

Of course you could just send in your CV to the company but by using QR codes you'll be showing your potential boss that you're on the cutting edge of new trends in marketing. They'll be picking up the phone for sure after that stunt ;)

Delancey wrote: »

There's rumours going around that the whole thing, from start to finish, was a Paddy Power orchestrated publicity stunt. It makes Paddy Power come across like an employer of choice when faced with a ton of interview offers so I can see their angle. And the TV / Radio footage to boot....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Bluetonic wrote: »
    If they are employing the guy and paying him a salary then it's hardly free publicity, it's paid publicity.

Apparently he only has a 6 month contract so I don't imagine that it's costing PP a whole lot, certainly it's cheaper publicity than the average billboard campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

"Skint Feilim Mac An Iomaire parted with the last of his life savings"

I thought you had to declare any savings to the SW when applying for the dole, and if you have any you are not entitled to the dole until they have run out? It's one of the questions on the form :P

I dont think this guy should be credited for doing this. He was just lucky he could afford a billboard, I dont know how he got the dole and had that kind of money knocking around or even how he could save it up. The dole is only designed to pay basic living costs, not to be able to afford to save 2k up :P. If everyone on the dole could afford to get 2k together I would say a fair % would be off the dole or at least working partime as they could use that to set up something up.

In saying that his idea seemed to work for him, but that would be my main worry... that it did work for him... If I was an employer I would be thinking "he didnt get a job after 100 applications, he surely isnt the best person available for the positions he was looking for, according to 100 other companies, why should I hire him". Also what positions was he applying for? Maybe he was looking for positions that were above what he is capable/qualified for.

Its a free country though so all the best to him, but he is nothing special, im sure there are a lot of people out there on the dole that are more skilled and have better ideas than him, he just had the capital to back it up :)

gline wrote: »
    I thought you had to declare any savings to the SW when applying for the dole, and if you have any you are not entitled to the dole until they have run out? It's one of the questions on the form :P
    No, you're totally and utterly incorrect.

"Skint Feilim Mac An Iomaire parted with the last of his life savings"

I dont think this guy should be credited for doing this. He was just lucky he could afford a billboard, I dont know how he got the dole and had that kind of money knocking around or even how he could save it up. The dole is only designed to pay basic living costs, not to be able to afford to save 2k up :P. If everyone on the dole could afford to get 2k together I would say a fair % would be off the dole or at least working partime as they could use that to set up something up.

Because that amount would not have any bearing on the dole entitlement. And not everyone on the dole actually has any living costs. The vast majority do, but im sure there are some that have little or no living costs. And others may have had jobs before being unemployed in which they saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

I notice that the user "HellFireClub" is very quiet now. He was calling the guy ridiculous and his campaign a waste of time and money.

Where are you now HFC?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Because that amount would not have any bearing on the dole entitlement. And not everyone on the dole actually has any living costs. The vast majority do, but im sure there are some that have little or no living costs. And others may have had jobs before being unemployed in which they saved.

What is the cut-off point for savings I wonder, where you wouldnt be entitled to the dole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I notice that the user "HellFireClub" is very quiet now. He was calling the guy ridiculous and his campaign a waste of time and money.

Where are you now HFC?????

Let's not get too personal thanks, he doesn't have to post here if he doesn't want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Fair play to to the guy but i still cant help felling some begrudgary - I still think it was a lazy attempt at a job hunt - I know a lot of grads struggling away doing internships or unskilled work while this guy just sends away a hundred CVs and sticks up a bilboard -

All in all, the guy showed some balls and it appears to have paid off so well done Usinn or what ever the guys name is!

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I still think it was a lazy attempt at a job hunt - I know a lot of grads struggling away doing internships or unskilled work while this guy just sends away a hundred CVs and sticks up a bilboard -

The easier the job finding process is, the better. Just because others struggle does not mean someone that comes up with a way of making it easier should not use it.

The €2000 euro used, if he did save it would take a fair bit of work to save it up also.

What is the cut-off point for savings I wonder, where you wouldnt be entitled to the dole?

A couple of years ago anyway it was this, it was disregarded for the first €20k, €1 lost for eack 1k up to €30k, then €2 lost for each €1k over €30k, and €4 lost for each €1k over €40k

Are you that lazy you can't search for yourself?

I suppose it's easier to post untruths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

As somebody who has paid tax on their earnings before putting them in to savings. I think its crazy to restrict someone from getting the dole no matter what their net worth is. Esp because they were probably prudent in the good times unlike many others.

As somebody who has paid tax on their earnings before putting them in to savings. I think its crazy to restrict someone from getting the dole no matter what their net worth is. Esp because they were probably prudent in the good times unlike many others.

I`d have to say i think your right there. One person saves 40k over years, savings they have payed taxes on, and another just spends without thinking, and the saver is penalised.

Once they can show they saved it and were not handed the money, it should not count against the saver.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cilldara11

Nothing nuts about my position at all. We all would like a job, how come this guy suddenly has offers abound now coming out of the word work when he pimps himself in the media, do you not stop to wonder what is wrong when all of a sudden after turning himself into a little mini celebrity on the news last night, all of a sudden now he is employable when he wasn't previously??? What is nuts about seeing a wrong in that, that we need to address in this country if we want to sort out our massive unemployment problem here??? I was in the same situation until very recently, why should I have to put myself on the 9 O' Clock news in order for someone to take me seriously??? It's ridiculous...

Obviously in Ireland your core competencies are secondary to whatever optics you can bring to a job, that's the way it looks to me...

This guy has demonstrated himself to be:

Pro-active, innovative, confident and in possession of a strong knowledge of the media/advertising industry. Those qualities are some of the core competencies required in the area of work he wishes to work in.

Shelve some of the negativity and anger, you'll live longer.

• Advertisement

, all of a sudden now he is employable when he wasn't previously???

Well there are many employable in the country that cant get a job. It does not mean a person is unemployable just because they are unemployed. They have to do what they can to get ahead of others, sometimes its by luck, other times its not.

This fella was obviously employable, but like many, was finding getting a job difficult, now he has put himself ahead of everyone else, it does not matter now if he turns out to be useless or not, the fact is he found a way to get ahead of others in the job searching methods.

It seems extraordinarily simple, but confuses you still.
    I was in the same situation until very recently, why should I have to put myself on the 9 O' Clock news in order for someone to take me seriously??? It's ridiculous...

Again, confusion taking over. Where has anyone in the country or here in this thread said you must do the same as this fella did?

Were you unemployable until recently so?

Not surprising on boards to see yet another strange set of ideals based on one persons idea of what others should or should not do, simply becuse they would not or have not done it.

Advertisement