Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where does the belief come from that gin is a depressant?

• 30-05-2011 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I'm just curious as I've heard this a lot of times. My favourite drink is a gin and tonic and there's been plenty of times I've ordered one and people have said "oooh you must be depressed!".
    I wonder where it came from and if there is actually any truth to it? Personally gin doesn't make me depressed..it makes me very happy actually! :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gin is basically a flavoured vodka, next time ask them their reasoning, and ask if its the same for vodka -if not what is so magical about juniper berries.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

rubadub wrote: »
    what is so magical about juniper berries.
    They're my bloody juniper berries!
    15753328131691064890.jpeg___1_500_1_500_cb94de6a_.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

xoaudhep wrote: »
    I'm just curious as I've heard this a lot of times. My favourite drink is a gin and tonic and there's been plenty of times I've ordered one and people have said "oooh you must be depressed!".
    I wonder where it came from and if there is actually any truth to it? Personally gin doesn't make me depressed..it makes me very happy actually! :D

If gin was a depressant depressed people should be avoding it not indulging in it!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Hogarth's Gin lane is a cartoon depicting the real effects of cheap gin had on London society in the 18th C,

400ginlane02.jpg

Where as beer was seen as a wholesome food, a views shared around Europe and Americas at the time, beer alley

400beeralley.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Possibly due the Tonic part of a Gin and Tonic containing Quinine (basically a sedative).

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

oblivious wrote: »
    Hogarth's Gin lane is a cartoon depicting the real effects of cheap gin had on London society in the 18th C,

400ginlane02.jpg

Where as beer was seen as a wholesome food, a views shared around Europe and Americas at the time, beer alley

400beeralley.jpg

Jesus Those two pictures and the exact Wiki paragraph were the entire contents of a recent article in a trade magazine!! Lazy Jurnolism at its best...

Advertisement