Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bargain Alert: New Ferguson HD DTT/Sat Combo Box - €63 before postage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Thanks you are a star - now I can see exactly what it is - that site has extra zero's - your updated frequency now makes it simple for me to see what I need to enter for my area.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Widescreen

I have a Seagate Expansion Portable Drive 320GB which connects by USB to my computer and I use it to back up my valued stuff, documents, photos etc...

Would I be able to use this for recording with this set top box? If not could someone advise what I should get.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yep, the seagate should work ok. But I would'nt use a drive that I have the important stuff saved to, to record to. But thats only me:). If you are looking for a good value drive, have a look at today's offering on www.gruupy.com. Very good value imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Vick7

If you are looking for a good value drive, have a look at today's offering on www.gruupy.com. Very good value imho.

Ah Radio Nova what a great station.;)

Hi

just put on the updated firmware with the channel listing from Willy - thanks for that.

However while the sync issue is resolved I am seeing the following.
    Worst - TV3 - screen freezes, sound continues, happens maybe one a minute at worst, otherwise every few minutes - lag is only around 5 seconds.

Best - RTE1 - in this case viewing is quite normal. Can go nearly 5 minutes before this skipping is seen.

For the moment I am tuned into the local aerial from the DTT website. Might try scanning some alternatives later - just in case there is a simple fix out there.

Anyone else seeing this or could it be just where I am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Have a look at the signal and quality readings on the terrestrial manual scan

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭An.Duine.Eile

Did you cold boot the box after the update. I saw some funnies until I did that.

No - let me power down, switch off at rear and restart - just when the box did it itself - never occurred to me

Cheers

Update - definitely this helped. Frequency and duration of these screen stalls is much reduced. Will keep an eye on it over the next few days.

Thanks again for your help and to all who provided the updates and the channel listing :)
    Would list but with so many pages sure to miss a few key folk :)

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

I'm trying to copy the settings of some Kids channels, in Ariva Editor ,
    from one list to my own new list, but the channels are blank when I check them.
    Anyone come across this?
    The channels I'm having trouble with are RTEjr, Cbeebies, CBBC & CITV

Yep, the seagate should work ok. But I would'nt use a drive that I have the important stuff saved to, to record to. But thats only me:). I you are looking for a good value drive, have a look at today's offering on www.gruupy.com. Very good value imho.

good point, thanks!

• Advertisement

Just another laymans question about this product.

Thinking of buying one initially for the 2nd tv room. The cable going there currently takes all services from the main tv point/amplifier , ie 2 sky boxes and terrestrial signal. I assume I plug this cable into the combos aerial in socket? If so is there an rf out on it to plug into the tv so the magic eye will still work the 2 sky boxes? thanks...

Vick7 wrote: »
    Ah Radio Nova what a great station.;)

Not in the catchment area:D. FYI I was just after getting an email from Gruupy. I have their 1.5tb one and its a cracking good HDD.:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Not in the catchment area:D. FYI I was just after getting an email from Gruupy. I have their 1.5tb one and its a cracking good HDD.:):):)

Whats with all the Nova talk ? Is this an inhouse anorak love in ?

I'm all for it by the way :)

Tony wrote: »
    Have a look at the signal and quality readings on the terrestrial manual scan

You were spot on as usual.

Intensity ranging from 75 to 76 for all the terrestrial - so that is ok.
    But
    Quality - for e3 & TV3 hovering around 78% - but dipping frequently to as low as 54% and as high as 84%
    RTE is similar - but drops are less frequent and so fast that you would miss the readout if you blinked.

Guess I will have to live with this so.
    Tried an automatic scan - now have 2 of each until I do a cleanup - found no variants yet that are any better.
    Since I ran a new cable from the aerial - it is either where I am or maybe the amplifier unit on the aerial or indeed the location of the aerial itself - not much I can do about that though.

Will try out a booster - if it fixes it great - if not :)

Thanks again.
    T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

STB wrote: »
    Format Factory is a video converter. So what you will be doing is converting the TS file to a video format that the Silvercrest can play. You just drag and drop the file into format factory (or open it).

The Silvercrest will play MPEG & AVI formats. So use the all to AVI function of Format Factory when installed. It will take about a half an hour for an 1hr and half recording. You then lash the AVI file onto your USb stick. http://www.formatoz.com/download.html

Yep, that did the job, thanks. Never heard of Format factory before, seems to be a useful piece of kit.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Yep, that did the job, thanks. Never heard of Format factory before, seems to be a useful piece of kit.

It is isnt it. You can chop out the adverts too. It also converts to DVB H264 TS format which is handy for non divx/mkv sat boxes (like Ctech/Technomates combos).

I only use 2 media converters - that and xmedia recode. I got rid of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

Anyone networked the box yet? Is it possible to get it to play a file from a drive on the network?

I put on the latest firmware last night, it was a case of having to. I was one of the luckier ones who didn't have major sync problems with the original firmware, usually on ITV HD . I was prepared to stick with it rather than have the hassle of rescanning and editing channel lists but last night I turned on the TV and every channel was out of sync, not just ITV and not just HD.
    The new firmware has cured that but I hope it's not a sign of things to come.
    Incidentally, when I rescanned DTT I picked up 6 extra test channels and there seemed to be extra radio channels too. I'm also experiencing picture break up and freeze on DTT even with 86% signal and 90% quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Eireplates

Hi,

I purchased one of these during the week. I set it up last night and am getting picture freeze on DTT like the last poster. Its got the latest firmware on there too.

Maybe its my ariel but I am getting a good reading on signal strength?

• Advertisement

Just to add my tuppence worth, I have also noticed that there are occasional momentary glitches and pixillation on DTT, but its only a tiny issue. I've put that down to RTE(NL) rather than the box. I have no doubt but that there are bound to be problems in the roll-out of the DTT service, but of course we're getting so little info from the service provider, you'd swear it was all a big secret:(:(:(

OK, sounds like a few people didn't do the Hard Boot of the box after
    upgrading the firmware.

Make sure to switch the box off using the back on/off switch.
    Leave it off for a few seconds, then turn it on again.
    That should fix the slight sync issues.

Also double-check you have the right firmware, it's Version 2.14B4,
    remember loading an older channel list will over-write the new firmware with an older one.

Moon54 wrote: »
    upgrading the firmware.

remember loading an older channel list will over-write the new firmware with an older one.

Well - that helped with my DTT skips - but it is still there - not as bad.
    In my case though for e3 and TV3 Quality levels fluctuate wildly - so will try a booster.
    In my case this DTT breakup was there pre-firmware. Thought it might address it - but that was before I knew the quality levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭willyb007

Moon54 wrote: »
    upgrading the firmware.

Yes true Moon, On my fathers box yesterday ITV HD froze and box went unresponsive. I shut down from back of box first then unplugged, waited 3 minutes replugged and switched back on and was fine afterwards.

On another note setting up another dish with twin LNB soon and via 2 Diseqc switches, am pointing this extra sat dish at Hotbird, to receive signal from it on my own 2 Ariva 120 boxes. So if any1 has advise on simplifying this procedure for me id be grateful! Have a fair idea of how to do this but any tips to make installation easier will be appreciated:D It prob take me 3-4 hours by myself:(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 poolfandar

ok, got me one of the ferguson 120 boxes and im currently trying to set it up and update the firmware

have downloaded the ferguson uploader and unzipped it.i,ve aslo downloaded the latest firmware (.abs file), have them desktop beside each other to make things eaasier

How to do i get this onto my memory stick now?
    Trying to put onto the loader but keep getting the same windows error message and the loader closes down!!

Shocking lip sync by the way on itv HD and i have to get rid of this ASAP!!!

thanks,

So - plugged in booster just earlier.
    Quality now holding steady at 90% - so all's well that ends well.

Overall I am loving this box.
    Multiple favourites is just excellent
    EPG - not great but does the job - many stations are blank until you select them and then only show out the next hour.

But despite the guide - overall I think I prefer this to SKY in nearly all ways.
    For those addicted to Sky - would suggest getting this as the 2nd box for multiroom and then seeing how you get on.

Next course of action for me is to play with the editor and get the programs set up in the way I want them.

Cheers Tony and all for your help here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

ok i tried downloading it and it says windows does not recognise the file type ABS? what am i doing wrong? do I need to get a file programme to oppen it?

You do not need to use the loader just copy the .abs file onto USB stick

poolfandar wrote: »
    How to do i get this onto my memory stick now?

You only need to use the editor if you want to change the DTT settings - or if you want to quickly change/remove favourites - otherwise you can just rescan terrestrial and edit>delete the stations you do not want using the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭joeyoey

Hi, just wondering about spec description. Is there a difference between 1080i and 1080p or is this just a misprint? Thanks.

PAL upscaling to 720p or 1080i

• Advertisement

Thinking of buying one initially for the 2nd tv room. The cable going there currently takes all services from the main tv point/amplifier , ie 2 sky boxes and terrestrial signal. I assume I plug this cable into the combos aerial in socket? If so is there an rf out on it to plug into the tv so the magic eye will still work the 2 sky boxes? thanks...

With the latest firmware upgrade, the web connection has come to life on my box. I have internet radio through the Reciva portal, will it be possible to access this on the Ariva as the radio stations available are a bit obscure.
    I wonder will future firmware upgrades be accessible via this connection, I see an option to upgrade via web.

There is no Rf out on the ferguson. But there is an RF loopthrough ie the RTE signal will pass through the box .

Widescreen wrote: »

I would not use the upgrade via web yet as it does not seem to be 100% reliable.

bmaxi wrote: »
    I see an option to upgrade via web.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭applewoodgo

Taltos wrote: »
    You only need to use the editor if you want to change the DTT settings - or if you want to quickly change/remove favourites - otherwise you can just rescan terrestrial and edit>delete the stations you do not want using the menu.
    Renamed favorites in editor to News, Kids etc., and editor won't save. Went to file - save and this didn't work. Then I pressed the Disk symbol and this too didn't work. All went back to default name, ie, Favourites 1, 2, etc.

Had not tried renaming favourites until this - but like you it does not seem to hold - luckily though the station selections do.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭applewoodgo

Taltos wrote: »
    Had not tried renaming favourites until this - but like you it does not seem to hold - luckily though the station selections do.
    OK, solved this. Having imported and installed the .abs file to the box, select Menu/TV Channels List/Favourite, select group then rename and save there.

There is no Rf out on the ferguson. But there is an RF loopthrough ie the RTE signal will pass through the box .

thanks Tony. do you think the magic eye will still work after signal has passed through this box and is the rf loop through more or less same as the rf out?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭willyb007

reaper180 wrote: »
    just a note that the aljazeera card works fine

Reaper,

Could you tell me if your Al Jazeera Sports Card is a Viaccess or Irdeto encripted card that works on your Ariva 120? I just thought a card was a card but seemingly not!:( I am hoping to buy this card and the Cyfra+ Card soon and would like your advise on which encrypted card to buy or even if it matters atall, I cannot find any info anywhere on the net of what encryption the Ariva 120 can handle.

Thank You in Advance

Willy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

ok confused now... do i just download the abs file to memory stick without the editor and put the usb stick into the box or do i have do download the editor as well to use the abs file? i am not concerned about channel lists... will do myown.. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭reaper180

willyb007 wrote: »
    Reaper,

Could you tell me if your Al Jazeera Sports Card is a Viaccess or Irdeto encripted card that works on your Ariva 120? I just thought a card was a card but seemingly not!:( I am hoping to buy this card and the Cyfra+ Card soon and would like your advise on which encrypted card to buy or even if it matters atall, I cannot find any info anywhere on the net of what encryption the Ariva 120 can handle.

Thank You in Advance

Willy
    no bother,, the card i have is the viaccess one , have it since october no problems with it at all,, i bought it off a site in the uk through ebay,,pm me if you want the name of site i got it off, i bought the card with channels +1-+8, but when renewing i'll be buying extra channels +9,+10 aswel

thanks Tony. do you think the magic eye will still work after signal has passed through this box

I've no idea but really theres no reason not to connect the eye before the ferguson (is there ?)
    and is the rf loop through more or less same as the rf out?

No, an Rf loop means there is no output of the ferguson picture it simply passes through whatever you connect to RF in . If they were the same there would be no reason for two different names :)

just copy the .abs file onto USB stick

do i have do download the editor as well to use the abs file?

Page 27 of manual http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/download/func-startdown/1189/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Ok I'm confused. Based on "what it says on the tin" this seems like a great product. However reading through the 60 pages on this thread it seems you need a technology doctorate to switch this thing on and a full time IT department to keep up to date with the latest firmware and various channel lists. Even then there are ongoing lip sync issues. Yet there are comments like "better than sky". So far the only thing I can make out is that tony from satellite.ie seems to be leading the efforts to get this working properly which would make me inclined to buy from him in the future just possibly not this box.

So does anyone want to stick their neck out and pass judgement on this box.

I've no idea but really theres no reason not to connect the eye before the ferguson (is there ?)

No, an Rf loop means there is no output of the ferguson picture it simply passes through whatever you connect to RF in . If they were the same there would be no reason for two different names :)

thanks , so if I put the eye before the rf into the Ferguson, would I then connect the Ferguson to the tv ,just by hdmi cable, no standard coax connection? and would you expect the eye to work as before?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭newuser1

touts wrote: »
    Ok I'm confused. Based on "what it says on the tin" this seems like a great product. However reading through the 60 pages on this thread it seems you need a technology doctorate to switch this thing on and a full time IT department to keep up to date with the latest firmware and various channel lists. Even then there are ongoing lip sync issues. Yet there are comments like "better than sky". So far the only thing I can make out is that tony from satellite.ie seems to be leading the efforts to get this working properly which would make me inclined to buy from him in the future just possibly not this box.

Get the box. Its actually easy set up. Tony has the latest firmware and channel list on it. You only need to scan for terrestrial channels. These will populate in your channel menu. You can make fav lists and arrange channels with the remote similar to any fta box. You can also do this with the editor but no need if your uncomfortable doing it.

Well, this is true of all combo boxes. Firmware is released on a regular basis to fix problems, provide more functionality, do unofficial things etc. This is the difference between those who choose to pay Sky and those who buy FTA HD boxes. FTA HD boxes arent geared towrads anyone particular market - there are a variety of satellites that people can use these boxes with, not just 28.2. In this case the Ferguson group in Poland aim their boxes at Eastern/Central Europe. But they of course may be perfectly suited to other markets, like Ireland in this case.

And you have hit the nail on the head, what makes a good box is good "home" support. Its the key to all Sat/Combo boxes. You need a good line into the "manufacturers" and that can be difficult given the language issues that can arise. With the Irish dealing with the Polish in turn dealing with the Chinese/Koreans, stuff does get lost in translation. On top of that you have a situation whereby the Italians, the Czech's have there own firmware requests and it all gets very competitive for attention. So its testament to this that Tony has got any response. Remember these werent manufactured with Ireland in mind.

As regards a technology doctorate I dont agree, this is a tech forum, so people have been requesting different functionality besides normally FTA access - video support, other cards, other encryption systems etc. You have a mixture of people who have experience already with other boxes AND people new to this area who see it as a way to watch television without paying Sky. You dont have to read all that of course and perhaps it would now be good time for a "How to thread/and a latest firmware" combined thread with no hijacking allowed. This thread possibly has went by its readable format. It was a heads up and has now grown unwieldy. You have joined this at an early stage in a tech forum. When all of the issues are ironed out (most of the basics are) then it will become a commercial product for your plug and play community.

The basics you need to know are:

How to load firmware.
    How to load channel lists.

The rest is in the manual and like everything you will get used to the boxes. I see regular questions about Sky vs buying a FTA box as people see Sky sign up as a way of getting a free installation for a year. Of course you pay for it in the long run and may never leave........ Why ? Laziness. There are a few things that you need to get used to but thats it, once its done, its done. Infact when you start with a box like the Ferguson you may then decide that you want even more functionality and progress to more advanced boxes...... its a bug!

Get your head around one or 2 set up musts and you will have free television legally. No Sky demands coming in the door.

thanks , so if I put the eye before the rf into the Ferguson, would I then connect the Ferguson to the tv ,just by hdmi cable, no standard coax connection? and would you expect the eye to work as before?

Connect the eye before the ferguson and then connect the coax to the ferguson and use both coax and hdmi to your tv.

Connect the eye before the ferguson and then connect the coax to the ferguson and use both coax and hdmi to your tv.

thanks Tony

• Advertisement

I bought before it became evident there problems with the box but I'm satisfied that for the most part they have been solved. New models of anything often have teething problems, my sister recently had her new car recalled by the manufacturer.
    All I can say is, we've been fortunate to have such knowledgeable and helpful people on Boards but I would definitely make the purchase again as the box, sans teething problems, is an excellent piece of kit. Picture quality is very good and functionality is better than boxes three times the price. Durability is the only question remaining but the same could be said of any purchase.

Advertisement