Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bargain Alert: New Ferguson HD DTT/Sat Combo Box - €63 before postage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dislanger

Is there anyway to recover the box?

Well a25c you have my deepest sympathies. I have been there with no success, with the exact same problem as you described, which happened in nearly the exact same manner. I see STB answered you posting, he was very helpful to me offered a lot of advice, which was honest and practical, you can listen to him and not worry about the quality of the advice. Some time I think you just get a dud box, and thats what I have decided is the problem with mine and it's being shipped back tomorrow. I'm not being the pessimist here, others in this thread have had the same problem and have recovered their boxes, I sadly wasn't one of them.:mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

willyb007 wrote: »
    Yes i have tried scan these from hotbird, No signal on them, However im almost sure I have Canale 5 and Italia 1 on my channel list somewhere. Might have Rete 4 also but not sure, When you are doing a scan on Hotbird, Select a "Blind Scan" instead of the other options, maybe you could pick it up this way as thats the way I did it.

Aha, that blind scan did it! :D Thanks for that. Now I just have to delete the 550-odd channels that I don't need on Hotbird! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

The clark tech editor that STB mentioned earlier might be helpful with that.

taung wrote: »
    Aha, that blind scan did it! :D Thanks for that. Now I just have to delete the 550-odd channels that I don't need on Hotbird! :eek:

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shazer0

Mighty, cheers
    Tony wrote: »
    It comes (at least from me can't speak for other suppliers) with the latest firmware which has the lip sync issue fixed as well as a satellite channel list built into the firmware . All you need do is scan in the terrestrial channels , reason for this is the frequencies are different around the country. You can then edit the channels if you wish into whetever order you wish using either the remote or the ariva editor.

shazer0 wrote: »
    Well looking through this thread everyone seems to have had to do firmware updates, channel list downloads, etc. If I buy the box from you now, will this have all been done already? lip sync problems, and all sorted out?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭willyb007

taung wrote: »

Yes its a pain! Glad it worked for you tho! :)
    The clark tech editor that STB mentioned earlier might be helpful with that.

I downloaded that editor yesterday, By God is it very complicated! Sorry STB, But i think ill stick to the Ariva editor, Even tho its as slow as hell but at least its simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I wonder would Ferguson consider a 7 day satellite guide for a future firmware upgrade.
    I know its difficult to do for 28e but there are versions working on other non enigma based boxes,tm6900 ,blade 7000.
    It would be the icing on the cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Just found the 'Ferguson Ariva 120 Combo' on this Polish site http://www.dipolnet.com/combo_hd_receiver_ferguson_ariva_120_combo_dvb-s-s2_dvb-t__A99383.htm for €64.61 which is fantastic, wonder is there a massive shipping charge, or any other hidden charges :cool:

Do those boxes use the "over the air " feed or the internet do you know ?

Zardoz wrote: »
    I wonder would Ferguson consider a 7 day satellite guide for a future firmware upgrade.
    I know its difficult to do for 28e but there are versions working on other non enigma based boxes,tm6900 ,blade 7000.
    It would be the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭John mac

LordSutch wrote: »
    Just found the 'Ferguson Ariva 120 Combo' on this Polish site http://www.dipolnet.com/combo_hd_receiver_ferguson_ariva_120_combo_dvb-s-s2_dvb-t__A99383.htm for €64.61 which is fantastic, wonder is there a massive shipping charge, or any other hidden charges :cool:

have you read the first post on this thread. :rolleyes:
    or the title?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I've updated the Combo box with the latest firmware. I have searched for Sat FTA channels and also the terrestrial channels and all are now loaded. I have the Clark Tech channel editor program installed.

Does anyone know where in the Menu I can copy the channel list onto USB so I can use the Editor to edit the listing???

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

John mac wrote: »
    have you read the first post on this thread. :rolleyes: or the title?

Yes I have read the thread, but I didn't realise that the Polish site I came across was the same one mentioned in the opening post - (different price too) and I am still none the wiser as to how much shipping I might pay . . .

Thanks so much for the help :cool:

How would anyone here know how much the shipping is ?

Why not just add the product to cart on the site and find out ?

LordSutch wrote: »
    I am still none the wiser as to how much shipping I might pay . . .

If you go into tools and upgrade you create a dumpfile.abs which can then be loaded onto the ferguson editor ( or the clarktech if you find that works ) and you can then change the channel order etc.

I only use the clarktech if i want to load a list from the internet and then load it into a box.

Hope this helps

astrofluff wrote: »
    I've updated the Combo box with the latest firmware. I have searched for Sat FTA channels and also the terrestrial channels and all are now loaded. I have the Clark Tech channel editor program installed.

Does anyone know where in the Menu I can copy the channel list onto USB so I can use the Editor to edit the listing???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Do those boxes use the "over the air " feed or the internet do you know ?
    Over the air ,no internet required.
    It grabs the epg data from a specific frequency.
    On the Technomate 6000+7000 super series +5402
    Scan trp. 11.777 v 27.500 .
    Any tv channel on this transponder,will load the 7-epg on your stb ,go into epg mode on one of those channels and within a minute the epg will populate on almost all channels.(leave for a few minutes to get full)

For a fast 12 hr epg .scan. trp.11.469 h 27.500
    Select any channel on this transponder, go into epg mode and within 20 seconds you will have 12 hrs epg on almost all channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Thanks Tony - do you have a link for the Ferguson Editor? I know it was put on this thread by someone, but cannot for the life of me find the post. :(

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    Thanks Tony - do you have a link for the Ferguson Editor? I know it was put on this thread by someone, but cannot for the life of me find the post. :(

Nope not a chance :)http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/download/HD-Satellite-Receivers/ariva-100e/ArivaEditor.zip/

Over the air ,no internet required.
    It grabs the epg data from a specific frequency.

Thats interesting thanks, I shall certainly mention it to them .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

mossym wrote: »
    can anyone with the box confirm if you can have the sd channels output at native resolutions(or even better pass 576i out), or do you have to let the box scale everything if you want to get 1080i out for the HD channels??

borrowed one of these today, and to answer my own question for anyone into picture quality and interested in using a proper external video processor, if you want to be able to watch rte2 the output must be set at 1080i, and all other channels are also scaled.

not a surprise at a box of this price. but it would have been superb if it had the ability to output everything at the native resolution of the channel. alas not to be, but still considering getting one of my own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Tony or anyone else,
    is there a web based gui that one can access to change the settings, similar to that of a router, printer, etc?

Not that I'm aware of

trebor28 wrote: »
    Tony or anyone else,
    is there a web based gui that one can access to change the settings, similar to that of a router, printer, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 a25c

STB wrote: »
    What firmware did you use ?
    And where did you get the firmware ?
    Where did you buy the box ?
    Did you unplug the box OR the USB whilst it was flashing.

Answer these questions honestly. :)

What firmware did you use ? Ariva_120_SAT_20110627_V2.14B4
    And where did you get the firmware ? http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/
    Where did you buy the box ? http://www.satsklep.pl/
    Did you unplug the box OR the USB whilst it was flashing.... most definitely not.

I saved file to usb stick then inserted into combo box went to upgrade by usb, Ariva_120_SAT_20110627_V2.14B4 was highlighted so I then started the update,the percentage bar rose in stages and at 100% the screen went blank and 3 or 4 dots came up on the box display also the standby light was on,the remote was unresponsive so I tried switching it off at the back and also tried unplugging it.All these attempts failed to restart the box,did I use the correct procedure or am I missing something?

Not that I'm aware of

it might be easier to edit the channels etc if you could do it.

trebor28 wrote: »
    it might be easier to edit the channels etc if you could do it.

How so ? I think the editor is about as good as we are going to get and not everyone would have a network connection to their computer. I know this can be done with a VU box etc but then look at the price difference and even these up market boxes use stand alone editor programs.

I notice that filename does not match with the version on fergusons site which is A120Combo_20110629_V2.14B4.abs I dont see any file on their server which was put up on 27/6 ? Is it possible for you to try the rs.232 firmware upload with a null modem lead ?

a25c wrote: »
    What firmware did you use ? Ariva_120_SAT_20110627_V2.14B4

I notice that filename does not match with the version on fergusons site which is A120Combo_20110629_V2.14B4.abs I dont see any file on their server which was put up on 27/6 ? Is it possible for you to try the rs.232 firmware upload with a null modem lead ?

Ah Sh*t:eek:....I think I got it from a link in somebody's post in this thread,I was fully sure I got it from the ferguson site but with reading all the posts and looking for links I have gone astray and ended up with this http://www.mediafire.com/?b32d64urdahdh04,thanks for pointing this out to me.As for the rs.232 cable I have one on order from ebay and awaiting delivery.....

Ok that explains the difference in names . If the link was on the thread then I'm sure it was ok, it could even have been put up by me so I would not necessaraily assume that it was the cause of the problem . Please let us know how it goes with the rs.232 , I've done this myself so if you post up here any problems you have I'll do my best to help.

a25c wrote: »
    Ah Sh*t:eek:....I think I got it from a link in somebody's post in this thread,I was fully sure I got it from the ferguson site but with reading all the posts and looking for links I have gone astray and ended up with this http://www.mediafire.com/?b32d64urdahdh04,thanks for pointing this out to me.As for the rs.232 cable I have one on order from ebay and awaiting delivery.....

much appreciated....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Maybe but probably not. 2 reasons, memory related on STB and a lack of coders.

The Technomates/Blades/Ctechs, same box basically, very very similar software. They only implemented on the Technomates when they brought out the Supers a few years back, the others were too slow.

The guy who implemented this latest version on that group of non-linux boxes is called "Phant0m" - easy enough to track down. Thats the guy you need to talk to. The way he has it working is over that transponder alright the data is actually broadcast with the radio channels, so you have to stick on the radio channel/transponder and press epg for it to d/l to the box. And the only box it downloads the epg event data in its entirety is a Technomate HD 7102. The other models require you to have a USB inserted as there is not enough flash memory to store it otherwise.

Of course you cant use the Technomate patches on a Ferguson for anyone who is thinking of doing so..... please.

How so ? I think the editor is about as good as we are going to get and not everyone would have a network connection to their computer. I know this can be done with a VU box etc but then look at the price difference and even these up market boxes use stand alone editor programs.

well i dont like the 'move channels' part of the ariva's editor.

i am used to the technomate one where you just select the channel and move it up or down.
    small bit of overkill on these ariva boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stwome01

STB wrote: »
    Its that version with an emulator/ccam.

Any benefit in this third party code other then the emu?

Also notice in the menu->Installation->Aerial Adjustment an option for tuner power. What is this used for. Could it power an ampilifer on the RF signal. The signal on the 2nd mux is breaking up at the moment and just wondering if this could be a possible solution for the future.

Thanks,

• Advertisement

stwome01 wrote: »
    Any benefit in this third party code other then the emu?

Also notice in the menu->Installation->Aerial Adjustment an option for tuner power. What is this used for. Could it power an ampilifer on the RF signal. The signal on the 2nd mux is breaking up at the moment and just wondering if this could be a possible solution for the future.

Thanks,

No the emulator is just added to the original f/w - CCCaM for other things.

The Tuner Power is a 5v boost to a non powered aerial. In other words if you have an indoor aerial that is non powered - the 5v will stabilise the signal by sending 5v boost to it. Do not attempt to turn this on with already preamped aerials or from an outdoor amped aerial. The aerial adjustment itself is just that for gaining max strength through viewing it in near real time with the meter whilst adjusting your aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 james1966

hi lads could ye help me i was updating the firmware that tony put up
    on my ariva 120 but all that is happening is the word ash showing now and wont turn on
    can any one tell me what to do thanks

james1966 wrote: »
    hi lads could ye help me i was updating the firmware that tony put up
    on my ariva 120 but all that is happening is the word ash showing now and wont turn on
    can any one tell me what to do thanks

Ash = bad flash. Did you use the right firmware - what firmware did you use ? You will have to recover it with a null modem cable.

I suggest people stop downloading the firmware from this thread until the source of the problem is identified. Flash the wrong firmware/ interrupt it CAN kill your box.

hi can any one help me i was putting the firmware that tony gave the link to for the ariva 120
    but it the letters a s h only appear on the front panel now can any one help me thanks

hi all as i already said the letters a sh is on the display
    and it will not work with the remote
    would the rs.232 bring the receiver back to working order
    if it would i can get a usb to rs.232 adaptor and cable
    please lads will ye help me with this problem as i am pulling the hair out of my head
    at this stage thanks

would the rs.232 bring the receiver back to working order

It may do but theres no guarantee. I think its your only option unless you want to send it back to your supplier.

thank you very much tony for the reply

thanks stb

hi tony what do i need to do with the null modem
    what wes site is needed to re boot the box

• Advertisement

sorry that should read web

hi tony what do i need to do with the null modem
    what wes site is needed to re boot the box

Check 1. That you have the serial port on your laptop/PC (dont confuse it with the video out). 2. Read this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73030163&postcount=800

If you are not comfortable doing this send it back to who you bought it off.

thanks you very much stb i will try it as soon as i get a cable
    can i contact if i have need further help
    thank you

thanks you very much stb i will try it as soon as i get a cable
    can i contact if i have need further help
    thank you

Of course. The cable, before you buy it make sure you have a serial port on your PC (if you dont you will need a USB to serial null modem cable which are slightly dearer).

Here the basic null modem cable is less than a €10 incl postage - the £1.90 one is fine.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=Null%20modem%20cable&_dmpt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&_ds=1&_fcid=99&_localstpos=&_stpos=&gbr=1

thank you so much for taking the trouble to assist me
    i have an older dell pc and there is a 9 pin outlet i think that is is the same as the ariva
    outlet it has the pins the same as the ariva so i must try and get a cable with the holes in the end to take the pins
    again i thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Expecting one of these Ariva 120 to arrive tomorrow from Tony's place. :) I know nowt about STB's. Can anyone give me a Quick Start guide to get me up n running.

Cat-03-june.gif

• Advertisement

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Expecting one of these Ariva 120 to arrive tomorrow from Tony's place. :)

I'm sorry but it will not arrive tomorrow, perhaps you missed the delivery info on the product page ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Since its from tony all you need to do is plug it in. You may need to scan for terrestrial channels but you never know. Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I'm sorry but it will not arrive tomorrow, perhaps you missed the delivery info on the product page ?

Hmmmmm you got me there all right. Shoulda gone to Specksavers :lol: After 12th July it is then, Will someone ring or will I get an email to let me know its on the way so someone will be here.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    will I get an email to let me know its on the way so someone will be here.

Absolutely

Received mine today!

First impressions are as follows; much smaller than I expected, (nice & compact) well put together, looks solid, black finish. All that's in the box is the unit + remote, two batteries and a three pin mains adaptor (the Ariva has a two pin moulded plug), I then connected her up to the Satellite and straight away she came to life, good quality pictures on my basic scart lead (HDMI would be better), the channel list wasn't to my liking so I got to that straight away in the main menu (Orange tab = move) and sorted the top forty stations to my liking (minus the Irish ones). I then hooked up my external aerial and did a Terrestrial scan which pulled in all the Irish digital terrestrial stations, I then slotted them into the channel list & that was that, did the same with the radio stations too. (Admittedly I have experience with programming receivers so it wasn't too hard for me), but I think it should be pretty easy for the 1st time user too . . .

Now for the gripes; I don't like the lay out of the remote, nothing wrong with it, its just that I don't like it - too fiddely & it took me ages to find the FAVE button, the "graphic equaliser" graphics also annoy me when in Radio mode, I also find the screen print too small after pressing the info button, you would nearly need binoculars to see what's on next, the channel number too (top left hand corner of the screen is really tiny), I also think I am right in saying that there is no analogue RF loop out* which means that the two out loops are digital outputs only, which means you can't just loop the signals to another TV (unless its a brand new Mpeg4 TV), and that's a shame, my second TV is only two years old, but I will still need a second box :cool:

I will turn on the Ariva again tomorrow with fresh eyes, and re evaluate, still, not bad though for under €100.

*re rf loop out, I might be wrong, needs more investigation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement