Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bargain Alert: New Ferguson HD DTT/Sat Combo Box - €63 before postage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

LordSutch wrote: »

Is there a list of mains powered drives that work successfully with Ariva 120?

Here you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,

Ive just received my Ariva and would appreciate some simple set up advice/an idiots guide to - and before somebody says that I should read through the thread I would like to say that I have read numerous pages but not all.

Anyway the set up I have is a Sat Dish with 4 LNBs pulling in Astra 28, Badr 26, Astra 19 & Hotbird 13 feeding into a 4/1 Diseq Switch. The out lead from this Diseq switch will be finding its home in the back of the Ariva. But before doing that, should I do anything else? and after doing that what should the 1st steps that I take be?

Thank you

Iba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭RobMozza

Well I've only recently discovered this fantastic little box on eBay, order and it arrived yesterday (sorry Tony, I've only just found this thread) anyway I read somewhere on Page 20 about moving the USB socket to the rear of the unit. Therefore today I did just that. I've attached four pictures if anybody else is interested?

Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4

I'm now going to look into a small 500GB self powered external hard drive as I doubt my 4GB memory stick will be sufficient? Is this likely to cause a power issue in the short term of using this? I read somewhere about not running a non powered hard drive? I'm hoping the USB key wont' cause any issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

RobMozza wrote: »
    (sorry Tony, I've only just found this thread)

No need to apologise at all :)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Well I've only recently discovered this fantastic little box on eBay, order and it arrived yesterday (sorry Tony, I've only just found this thread) anyway I read somewhere on Page 20 about moving the USB socket to the rear of the unit. Therefore today I did just that. I've attached four pictures if anybody else is interested?

Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4

I'm now going to look into a small 500GB self powered external hard drive as I doubt my 4GB memory stick will be sufficient? Is this likely to cause a power issue in the short term of using this? I read somewhere about not running a non powered hard drive? I'm hoping the USB key wont' cause any issues?

Nice use of spacers ;)

The Ariva manual advises against using a USB powered HDD, so no one is going to advise you to do so. Your choice ;)

I've put a channel list up on the users thread if anyone needs

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056403172

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dislanger

Thanks Tony, brilliant as ever.

iba wrote: »
    Hi,

Ive just received my Ariva and would appreciate some simple set up advice/an idiots guide to - and before somebody says that I should read through the thread I would like to say that I have read numerous pages but not all.

Anyway the set up I have is a Sat Dish with 4 LNBs pulling in Astra 28, Badr 26, Astra 19 & Hotbird 13 feeding into a 4/1 Diseq Switch. The out lead from this Diseq switch will be finding its home in the back of the Ariva. But before doing that, should I do anything else? and after doing that what should the 1st steps that I take be?

Thank you

Hi,

Just to update. Having read numerous pages in this thread, I was worried that I would find this box very hard to use but thankful it was a breeze.

First I downloaded the English Manual from Satskelp website. Then I just connected it up to my Sat cable and TV. Turned the box on and changed the language to English. Chcked what version of Fimware was on it and it was the latest one. Clicked on the 4 Sats that I have including both on 26, the K band and the C band (because I dont know what the difference is, perhaps someone could advise) and then also clicked on Eurobird just in case I could pull in some extra channels although the LNB is aimd at Astra 28. I then set each sat to its port on Diseq 1.0 (I noticed that there is also a possibility of using Diseq 1.1 but again I wasnt sure which one to use so I just left it on 1.0). Did a multi blind scan, went off and had my dinner, came back ad all the channels were there (I thnk).

So all in all I found everything to be easy enough and all ran smooothly - unless Im missing something. In addition I have to say that I like the set up menu immensly, nice and clear and easy to use (compared to a Humax that I have).

So I guess the only 3 questions that I have is:

1) should i be using diseq 1.0 or 1.1 and;
    2) what is the difference bewteen badr 26 K band and C band?
    3) the box is connected to TV via HDMI, in this regard should I be using the YUV or RGB option?

Thank you

Iba

Iba

Hi,

Just to update. Having read numerous pages in this thread, I was worried that I would find this box very hard to use but thankful it was a breeze.

First I downloaded the English Manual from Satskelp website. Then I just connected it up to my Sat cable and TV. Turned the box on and changed the language to English. Chcked what version of Fimware was on it and it was the latest one. Clicked on the 4 Sats that I have including both on 26, the K band and the C band (because I dont know what the difference is, perhaps someone could advise) and then also clicked on Eurobird just in case I could pull in some extra channels although the LNB is aimd at Astra 28. I then set each sat to its port on Diseq 1.0 (I noticed that there is also a possibility of using Diseq 1.1 but again I wasnt sure which one to use so I just left it on 1.0). Did a multi blind scan, went off and had my dinner, came back ad all the channels were there (I thnk).

So all in all I found everything to be easy enough and all ran smooothly - unless Im missing something. In addition I have to say that I like the set up menu immensly, nice and clear and easy to use (compared to a Humax that I have).

So I guess the only 3 questions that I have is:

1) should i be using diseq 1.0 or 1.1 and;
    2) what is the difference bewteen badr 26 K band and C band?
    3) the box is connected to TV via HDMI, in this regard should I be using the YUV or RGB option?

Thank you

Iba

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Eireplates

Any one getting lip sync issues? I upgraded the firmware last week and am getting the problem. Goes away for awhile if I change channel and go back again.

Trevor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,580 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Eireplates wrote: »
    Any one getting lip sync issues? I upgraded the firmware last week and am getting the problem. Goes away for awhile if I change channel and go back again.

Trevor

I used to experience the lip sync problem on ITV1 HD mainly, upgraded the firmware and it seems to have gone away, although I've only watched about 2 hours of ITV since the upgrade, and that was a recording too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I seem to remember somebody in a previous post suggesting 'ITV1 Granada HD', which is presumably free of the lip sync problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Since I flashed with the latest firmware, my box won't record any more. It will play pre-recorded files in the various formats and otherwise it functions normally. I was using a 32gb usb drive and the drive itself checks out OK, I have also tried different drives none of which will record, so it seems to be a problem in the box.
    Anybody else had this problem and how was it solved? Would going back to an earlier firmware help, if so where will I find it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

My box records with the latest firmware. You should be able to find older firmware posted throughout the thread as channel lists. It's certainly worth a try if it was working before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

bmaxi wrote: »
    Since I flashed with the latest firmware, my box won't record any more. It will play pre-recorded files in the various formats and otherwise it functions normally. I was using a 32gb usb drive and the drive itself checks out OK, I have also tried different drives none of which will record, so it seems to be a problem in the box.
    Anybody else had this problem and how was it solved? Would going back to an earlier firmware help, if so where will I find it?

Try reformatting the drive from the menu

Try reformatting the drive from the menu

From which menu? I have formatted the drive on my PC but no difference. I have discovered that I can direct record onto the drive but not from the timer.

• Advertisement

Panic over. I realised that after flashing the firmware and doing a factory reset, I hadn't set the timer to record in the menu, so it was just switching to the selected channel and nothing else. DOH!!! :o:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Media player (DivX,XviD,MKV,MP3,JPEG..), Record one channel while watch another - 36 euro :D
    http://digitelly.vpweb.ie/Digital-Receivers.html
    Ferguson 200 Combo I think........... above for €78 with €10 P + P. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭simonp1

Got the 120 from Tony there Wednesday, Cheers. HD is great both on dish and Saorview.

I never click your discount link though :(

Simon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Tango One

A friend picked up one of these boxes recently. The sat side is working fine(bar a few blank channels I used Tony's channel line) but the DTT is blank. The analogue terrestrial is OK bit hazy though, should you still be able to pick up the DTT signal even at a lower quality?. He has a grid aerial would it be worth upgrading it to something else?.

Thanks

Did he rescan the terrestrial channels? He should do so if he's not on Three Rock or wherever Tony is.

• Advertisement

Zab wrote: »
    Did he rescan the terrestrial channels? He should do so if he's not on Three Rock or wherever Tony is.
    He should be picking the DTT from Three Rock he is in Stamullen. I did try a rescan and still got nothing. Might the DTT side of the box be faulty?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Almost certainly its the aerial.

Almost certainly its the aerial.
    I had no ladder to get near the aerial might be a bad connection?. I did find a butt joint on the cable in the attic fixed that up with proper connection but still no DTT signal. Any recommendations on a new aerial if that's the problem

Have a look at the Saorview site. It will tell you the type of aerial for your area.
    Also have a look at www.tvtrade.ie. Very good help videos on that site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Got one of these boxes last week, I have a hdmi cable connected to the the tv but getting no picture, do I need to connect the box and tv with a scart lead and hdmi together or should be hdmi laed work fine on its own?

Just one lead will work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

i still have a lip sync issue, upgraded the latest firmware. i find it happens when you leave it on the same channel for about an hour or longer.

if you flick around it kinda fixes it.

not a major issue, but a little annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Shannon_Gaels

Tango One wrote: »
    He should be picking the DTT from Three Rock he is in Stamullen. I did try a rescan and still got nothing. Might the DTT side of the box be faulty?.

Tango One

to test your signal and strength ,go to installation menu and select aerial adjustment.

Move channel indicator up to channel 54 and if its three rock you will see the signal bars come on , you will need both intensity and quality above 80 % to have a good /consistent picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

The following query was posted in the satellite forum. Can anybody help this poster?
    Hello All,

I've been trying to re-tune BBC1 HD & BBC HD on a Ferguson Ariva HD combo. I have followed the instructions, i.e 10847, 23000, DVB-S2, 8/9. However every time I do this and then hit search ... the box freezes for all the satellite stations (DTT still works OK). Once I reset the box, the satellite stations come back OK, but obviously still no BBC HD.
    I have tried deleting 10847 and then adding it again. I also tried adding 10846, but every time I search the unit hangs. The firmware is up to date and everything else works perfectly. If anyone has a solution for this, I'd be very grateful.

Regards,
    Jim.

10.847V230008/9
    10.847V230008/9

Link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74848956&postcount=1

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    The following query was posted in the satellite forum. Can anybody help this poster?

Link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74848956&postcount=1
    Try Tony's all in one firmware and channel lineup update might fix the problem for you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74754693&postcount=13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭saorviewseeker

Try Tony's all in one firmware and channel lineup update might fix the problem for you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74754693&postcount=13

You could also try tvtrade. They have a comprensive number of video tutorials on how to set up the box, tune in satalites, adding firmware etc. You can get them here http://www.tvtrade.ie/ferguson-ariva-120-hd-combo.html Click on the video guides tab and scrool down to view tutorials.

Guys,

Since my previous posts I having a bit of trouble and would apprecite some help.

I have 4 LNBS fo Sats Astra 28.2, Badr 26, Astra 19 and Hotbird 13. The cables from these LNBs go into a 4/1 Diseqc Switch with the output going into the Ariva. In the set-up menu of the Ariva I have assigned the Diseqc switch for each sat e.g. Astra 28 to Port 1, Badr 26 to Port 2 Astra 19 to Port 3 and Hotbird to Port 4.

Now what happens next and I cant figure it out is that when I switch between the different Sats, only a signal is coming through for one of them which is Hotbird. And when I do a multi-sat scan all I get is channels for Hotbird and fails for the rest.

Im at my wits end trying to figure out whats going on and by way of trying to find the problem I haved scaned in just one sat at a time eg Astra 28 and the channels come through.

Please can someone help?

Regards

iba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭swoofer

sorry iba!!! its me again, what is the make of the switch you are using, and that box only does 1.0 and 1.1.

g

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    sorry iba!!! its me again, what is the make of the switch you are using, and that box only does 1.0 and 1.1.

g

Hi Again GB,

Its this switch:

http://www.sat-planet.ie/freeview_tv/free_to_air_ireland/diseqc

What does 1.0 and 1.1 mean please?

Regards

Iba

your swtch is diseq 2.0, ie its the latest protocols, when you go in menu of the ferguson if you look closely you will see 2 diseq set ups, 1.0, 1.1. only one can work at the time, I dont know if diseq2.0 is backwards compatible but set the diseq at 1.1 in all 4 and make sure the other box says disable. I used diseq back in 2001 so now ring rusty but have loads of contacts, try it with 1.0 as well and even mix them but as usual be careful.

It may work but on this one I am defenitely ring rusty. why that box??

gbc

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    your swtch is diseq 2.0, ie its the latest protocols, when you go in menu of the ferguson if you look closely you will see 2 diseq set ups, 1.0, 1.1. only one can work at the time, I dont know if diseq2.0 is backwards compatible but set the diseq at 1.1 in all 4 and make sure the other box says disable. I used diseq back in 2001 so now ring rusty but have loads of contacts, try it with 1.0 as well and even mix them but as usual be careful.

It may work but on this one I am defenitely ring rusty. why that box??

gbc

Thanks GB

Yes I was using the 1.0 option. The 1.1 option it talks about/options include cascades and stuff and I thought 1.0 was therefore the right option to use.

Well as u know I have the humax box too which I use downstairs and I have UPC so i get the terrestial channels. But for upstairs I thought Id use this box coz it has the option of adding an aerial to it so I could get the Terrerstial Channels.

So basically what ur saying is that my Diseqc switch is more advanced than the box? This is not a good sign :(

Regards

Iba

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

DiSEqC 2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.0, afaik the newer protocol also allows for communication in the switch-to-receiver direction.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    DiSEqC 2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.0, afaik the newer protocol also allows for communication in the switch-to-receiver direction.

Thanks Peter,

Any idea what the hell im doing wrong?

Cheers

Iba

Can you connect the Humax feed to this switch & see how it handles it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

A friend picked up one of these boxes recently. The sat side is working fine(bar a few blank channels I used Tony's channel line) but the DTT is blank. The analogue terrestrial is OK bit hazy though, should you still be able to pick up the DTT signal even at a lower quality?. He has a grid aerial would it be worth upgrading it to something else?.

Thanks

If the coaxil cable from aerial to the STB is not capable of handling digital signals.....then STB will not be able to tune in to digital transmissions....suggest replacing coaxil cable from aerial...:

Hibrasil wrote: »
    If the coaxil cable from aerial to the STB is not capable of handling digital signals.....then STB will not be able to tune in to digital transmissions....suggest replacing coaxil cable from aerial...:

If the cable can handle UHF analogue, it can handle UHF digital (& grid aerials are UHF).

giving this a bit of thought, you need to say how the cabling is set up, are there any joins, switches, combiners, if the cables are straight to lnbs and set up as described it should all work.

send ferguson an email http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/technical-support.html

gbc-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

My own TV is Saorview approved so is this box worth my while or could i find a similar Satellite only box (HDMI, Viewing card slot) for cheaper?

My box seems to drop the HDMI connection every so often for about a second. Does anybody else's do this? I haven't checked the scart as I don't want SD. I have tried different cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭RobMozza

Nice use of spacers
    The Ariva manual advises against using a USB powered HDD, so no one is going to advise you to do so. Your choice

Sorry Johnboy1951, when I wrote self powered I mean't seperately powered and not powered through USB.

Glad that you liked my rather unusual use of spacers!! :-D It seemed to do the trick!!

Iron Hide wrote: »
    My own TV is Saorview approved so is this box worth my while or could i find a similar Satellite only box (HDMI, Viewing card slot) for cheaper?

You can get cheaper, a quick search on eBay gave these three, although I wouldn't know anything about these in terms of details.

SAGEMCOM ITD81 PICNIC FREEVIEW / SAORVIEW MPEG2 / 4 BOX £22
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAGEMCOM-ITD81-PICNIC-FREEVIEW-SAORVIEW-MPEG2-4-BOX-/230684787464?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item35b5e28308

DVB-T MPEG4 Digital HD €42.75
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DVB-T-MPEG4-Digital-HD-Irish-TV-SAORVIEW-UK-Freeview-HDMI-receiver-USB-Slot-/110756067448?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item19c9937878

GOLDEN MEDIA 8060 €50.98
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOLDEN-MEDIA-8060-DVBT-MPEG4-HD-Receiver-PVR-DTT-Irish-Saorview-/150671419814?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item2314b769a6

Zab wrote: »
    My box seems to drop the HDMI connection every so often for about a second. Does anybody else's do this? I haven't checked the scart as I don't want SD. I have tried different cables.

No this isn't normal Zab, assuming you have you checked your signal quality/strength and have above 80% then I would guess there could be a problem with your box? I had a Bush HD Freesat box which did exactly the same, but using the Scart it was fine, hence I replaced that box with my Ferguson.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

BE CAREFUL. A little knowledge....

The first one in your listing, the Sagecom WILL NOT work for Saorview. They have to be MPEG4 H264 L4 (ie HD ). This is a L3 MPEG4 H264 is Standard definition only and will not display RTE2 HD at all.

Look, the certified Saorview boxes are €50 to €60 now from powercity, Harvey Norman and Argos. All made by Vestel from same chassis. Under names like Digihome, Bush Walker etc.

Finally this thread is about a combo box that combines satellite and Saorview in one box. This is not comparable to what you have posted here which only displays the Saorview stations!
    Hibrasil wrote: »

Wrong. It has nothing to do with cable. It is perhaps the aerial type itself that is the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The picnic is more expensive now when it doesn't work for all channels, than it was before RTE2HD!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The picnic is more expensive now when it doesn't work for all channels, than it was before RTE2HD!

Incorrect. This Sagem box Is mpeg 4 and mheg 5, so should have no problems tuning all available channels.

Incorrect. This Sagem box Is mpeg 4 and mheg 5, so should have no problems tuning all available channels.

What?! The Picnic is probably the most notorious (in this forum anyway) of the non-compatible boxes, as it caught out a lot of people with its lack of level 4 HD support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

HD too? The advert linked doesn't mention RTE2...

• Advertisement
Advertisement