Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bargain Alert: New Ferguson HD DTT/Sat Combo Box - €63 before postage

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

STB wrote: »
    The Sligo Sat guys never crack under pressure. Serious 007 counter espionage stuff.

STB your a master in the art of google foo. Kudos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

hey hey hey, what is going on here??

are the mods on holiday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭saorviewseeker

recyclebin wrote: »

are the mods on holiday?

Maybe I can explain........it seems everytime that someone seems to have a commercial interest, STB blows his top. Example:- Read this thread,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056366189&page=3

He slates me here because he thinks I am TVTrade, another well established trader in this business. Tony also stands in judgement and asks JohnnyForeigner to declare himself. It seems that Satalite.ie have the monopoly here and are allowed to fly their Company Logo while snarling at anybody else that wants to get a look in. Look at STB's profile; he has one friend, and yes you have probably guessed, it's Satalite.ie.

Is this a coincidence I wonder? Why would he want he get so irate whe he sences that someone is touting for business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

In fairness to Tony, I have often seen him promote other suppliers and sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

This thread was originally about getting the Ariva 120 for the best price.

I don't mind people saying you can buy it from X for €Y. The problem is that if you have a vested interest you should declare it. You also shouldn't bash the competition without just cause.

Anyway I bought my box from satsklep for about €83 euro delivered.

I have also bought stuff from satellite.ie , freesat.ie, ebay, alsat etc. The only one I had a problem with was Alsat and his faulty darkbox that gave up after a year.

In fairness to Tony, I have often seen him promote other suppliers and sites.

Yes, I grant you that. However, when it comes to TVTrade, he is not very complimentary. Read post number 34 here,

and look at what he says about that trader. Comments like this might make potential buyers look elswhere.

So, it's about time the Mods got to grips with Commercial Interests here.

I don't mind people saying you can buy it from X for €Y. The problem is that if you have a vested interest you should declare it. You also shouldn't bash the competition without just cause.

Here, here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

maybe there should be a link in the first post to where to get the ariva 120 from REPUTABLE suppliers in ireland?

eg.

Satworld.ie €95 with HDMI Cable
    http://satworld.ie/product-info.php?Ferguson_Ariva_HD_120_Combo_Combi_Receiver-pid171.html

Satellite.ie €98
    http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/HD_Ariva_120_Combo_Box.html

Freesat.ie €129 with HDMI Cable
    http://www.freesat.ie/index.php?cat=HD_receivers1&ActinicSID=d9483a6a49a02fbf4abc37330379b9fa

TvTrade.ie €98.62
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/ferguson-ariva-120-hd-combo.html

Megavision.ie €98
    http://www.megavision.ie/ferguson-ariva-hd-120-combo.html

These are the only reputable Irish suppliers I know of, if you have more please add :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

shblob,
    Thanks for that post.

Do those prices include delivery? ...... or do the delivery charges vary amongst suppliers?

Only reason I ask is that users would be considering a delivered price when making decisions, I would think.

No, I don't have that info .... but if available it might be added?

regards

• Advertisement

Hi Johnboy, no delivery is not included, I can't imagine it being more than 10 euro from any of those suppliers, I will compile a more detailed list if the mods agree.. including a few forgein suppliers such as satsklep etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Show me one post in ths history of this forum where I have said something untrue about Tv Trade and I'll happily withdraw it and apologise to Michael.

Perhaps his earlier post on his own site when guys here were having problems with the ferguson might have something to do with my references .

facts are not always complimentary.

I have always declared the fact that I own satellite.ie and been open about my interest, can you say the same for every poster ?

Yes, I grant you that. However, when it comes to TVTrade, he is not very complimentary. Read post number 34 here,

On another thread when someone posted
    Tango One wrote: »
    Try Tony's all in one firmware and channel lineup update might fix the problem for you.

You came right back with
    You could also try tvtrade. They have a comprensive number of video tutorials on how to set up the box, tune in satalites, adding firmware etc.

You also said Re: Tv Trade
    Another video is due which may answer your questions.

How did you know another video was due ?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

shblob wrote: »
    These are the only reputable Irish suppliers I know of, if you have more please add :)

Megavision.ie in Waterford I think ?

never heard of them, but added. seem reputable with a walk-in store in waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Tony,

In this case the 'Off Topic' posts are extremely informative.
    I suggest they should be left alone. :)
    Tony wrote: »
    You should, its obviously untrue.

I've pm'ed a mod to get all the off topic posts removed.
    Tony ,for you - I dont retract my statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Maybe I can explain........it seems everytime that someone seems to have a commercial interest, STB blows his top. Example:- Read this thread,

He slates me here because he thinks I am TVTrade, another well established trader in this business. Tony also stands in judgement and asks JohnnyForeigner to declare himself. It seems that Satalite.ie have the monopoly here and are allowed to fly their Company Logo while snarling at anybody else that wants to get a look in. Look at STB's profile; he has one friend, and yes you have probably guessed, it's Satalite.ie.

Is this a coincidence I wonder? Why would he want he get so irate whe he sences that someone is touting for business?

Look I only continued this as someone just wouldnt admit what they were doing (I wasnt back seat modding either). We are not all stupid though.

I dont sell boxes and I dont even know Tony from Satellite.ie (spelt correctly) outside his posts here. At least he contibutes to the board and does declare himself a trader. More than can be said for some of the widespread shilling that goes on here. Should the regular posters and technical heads just leave for those who post here for financial gain ?

Infact if you look at the first few pages in this thread (I am the OP btw) you will notice that my links were to Polish online shops not any particular Irish site. I did know that Tony was a Ferguson reseller and would be the likely candidate to sell them affordably through his links with Ferguson Poland.

Regarding TVtrade from whom you will find plenty of links from me by the way in many threads (including their very helpful videos), had regulars here annoyed by very childish told you so commentsmade on the trade site blog. But the guy now sells the very boxes he dissed at the time, due to customer demand.......

Please send on the friends requests as you can see I am Billy no mates !

btw. I have also seen the Ferguson 120 in Wexford in Joyces but unfortunately they are €120.

• Advertisement

never heard of them, but added. seem reputable with a walk-in store in waterford

Might also be worth mentioning whether channel list pre programming is available/included on the supplier list.

I reckon they should still go on the list though as some people would rather pay the extra for a walk in purchase.

btw. I have also seen the Ferguson 120 in Wexford in Joyces but unfortunately they are €120.

I dont sell boxes and I dont even know Tony from Satellite.ie (spelt correctly) outside his posts here. At least he contibutes to the board and does declare himself a trader. More than can be said for some of the widespread shilling that goes on here. Should the regular posters and technical heads just leave for those who post here for financial gain ?

Regarding TVtrade from whom you will find plenty of links from me by the way in many threads (including their very helpful videos), had regulars here annoyed by very childish told you so commentsmade on the trade site blog. But the guy now sells the very boxes he dissed at the time, due to customer demand.......

Practice what you preach, STB. You accuse TVTrade of being childish, yet you make a pointess issue out of a simple spelling mistake on my part. What a waste of forum space.

Lets get back to what this forum is all about.........helping each other out.
    I was doing just that when I learned of TVTrades video tutorials. I posted same for the benifit of others and I offer no apology for doing so. The man has to be highly commended for putting these tutorials together. This must have taken him hours to do so, taking into consideration that he had to spent hours getting to grips with the box himself before putting these videos together. I know of no other seller offering this service, do you? If I had the benifit of these when I bought my box (from Satellite.ie, incidently) I would have been very pleased and would have saved me many hours of frustration trying to get to grips with the box.

So, let's put all this silly stuff to bed and get back to the real business of educating each other, even if it means mentioning other Commercial Interests, in the process. We will be the real winners as a result.

Live and let live, AMEN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I have been reading the posts here for a few days with great interest and I have learned a lot - thank you all.

My mother is going to invest in "something that she won't have to make payments on in the future" and I was charged with the task of sorting it out.
    She has an aerial on her roof with a very limited number of FTA channels available. She used to have 9 or 10 but now this figure has decreased to 3 or 4 channels.

I don't live there myself so I only have limited second hand info at best.
    I can only assume that the loss of other FTA channels is beyond her control (moving aerial etc) and the channels are now switched off/different frequency or something. :confused:

Anyway, regardless she will have to invest and from what I am reading on these pages it seems that the Ferguson Arivia 120 combo seems to be the way to go.

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject, I am new to this area.

With the cost of the box being ~ €100, what are the other associated costs?
    Dish, cable and installation?
    I am still unclear if a dish is required, although I assume that it will be needed for the UK FTA channels? Or, if the current existing aerial will work or not.

Can someone please clear this up for me please?
    Apologies for all the questions.
    Thanks in advance.

The ferguson is a good box but bear in mind it does not auto update so if a broadcaster changes a transmission which they do from time to time you would need to re scan for the missing channels or re load the channel list using a USB key . This does not happen that often but it is something to consider. May I ask does your Mother use teletext a lot ?

You will need a working satellite dish and an aerial , a general rule of thumb is that if you can receive tv 3 on the existing aerial theres a good chance it will pickup Saorview channels also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

cadaliac wrote: »
    I have been reading the posts here for a few days with great interest and I have learned a lot - thank you all.

My mother is going to invest in "something that she won't have to make payments on in the future" and I was charged with the task of sorting it out.
    She has an aerial on her roof with a very limited number of FTA channels available. She used to have 9 or 10 but now this figure has decreased to 3 or 4 channels.

I don't live there myself so I only have limited second hand info at best.
    I can only assume that the loss of other FTA channels is beyond her control (moving aerial etc) and the channels are now switched off/different frequency or something. :confused:

Anyway, regardless she will have to invest and from what I am reading on these pages it seems that the Ferguson Arivia 120 combo seems to be the way to go.

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject, I am new to this area.

With the cost of the box being ~ €100, what are the other associated costs?
    Dish, cable and installation?
    I am still unclear if a dish is required, although I assume that it will be needed for the UK FTA channels? Or, if the current existing aerial will work or not.

Can someone please clear this up for me please?
    Apologies for all the questions.
    Thanks in advance.

The aerial should get you the Irish DTT channels as listed on the saorview site http://www.saorview.ie/channels-services/ . If you get a satellite you should be able to pick up a lot more channels such as BBC/ITV listed on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_Freesat , the only extra cost being the dish/LNB/cables/installation

The ferguson is a good box but bear in mind it does not auto update so if a broadcaster changes a transmission which they do from time to time you would need to re scan for the missing channels or re load the channel list using a USB key . This does not happen that often but it is something to consider. May I ask does your Mother use teletext a lot ?

You will need a working satellite dish and an aerial , a general rule of thumb is that if you can receive tv 3 on the existing aerial theres a good chance it will pickup Saorview channels also.
    Yes she actually does use it from time to time but she is fairly web wise so she cal look up info/channels on the web if she needs to.
    I can go through that with her.
    On the subject of channel updates - well I think I will have to do the updates for her alright.
    She is about 30 miles from where I live so it's not too bad, (I hope it won't be too often :))
    Is the re-scanning difficult? As in will it mix up an already existing channel list?
    I can see this being an issue alright. She is in her 60's and constantly changing channel lists (or missing channels) will be frustrating for her.
    Cheers.

Its not difficult it just adds the channels on to the end of the list so you have do some some moving around and deleting old entries. Usually I or someone else here will have a modified channel list made up pretty quickly that you can put on to a usb key and update that way.

The channel changes are not constant, so far only two this year if memory serves. (i'm open to correction on that)

The other alternative is to go with separate freesat and saorview boxes which will auto update, down side is you have to change inputs on the tv to change from one to the other.

cadaliac wrote: »
    Is the re-scanning difficult? As in will it mix up an already existing channel list?
    I can see this being an issue alright. She is in her 60's and constantly changing channel lists (or missing channels) will be frustrating for her.
    Cheers.

Thanks Tony and Zab.
    Very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Practice what you preach, STB. You accuse TVTrade of being childish, yet you make a pointess issue out of a simple spelling mistake on my part. What a waste of forum space.

Lets get back to what this forum is all about.........helping each other out.
    I was doing just that when I learned of TVTrades video tutorials. I posted same for the benifit of others and I offer no apology for doing so. The man has to be highly commended for putting these tutorials together. This must have taken him hours to do so, taking into consideration that he had to spent hours getting to grips with the box himself before putting these videos together. I know of no other seller offering this service, do you? If I had the benifit of these when I bought my box (from Satellite.ie, incidently) I would have been very pleased and would have saved me many hours of frustration trying to get to grips with the box.

So, let's put all this silly stuff to bed and get back to the real business of educating each other, even if it means mentioning other Commercial Interests, in the process. We will be the real winners as a result.

Live and let live, AMEN.

When you have something to bring to the party please do let us all know. Other than your defensive and illiterate posts about TVtrade and pot shots at genuine contributors I really dont see anything in the form of expertise being offered. Thats 3 people with low post counts <20 stirring it in the last few days here and their only form of contribution is links to businesses.

Must try harder. :) I'm taking Watty's past advice on this about feeding trolls, so no more on this from me.

Lots of Love.

When you have something to bring to the party please do let us all know. Other than your defensive and illiterate posts about TVtrade and pot shots at genuine contributors I really dont see anything in the form of expertise being offered. Thats 3 people with low post counts <20 stirring it in the last few days here and their only form of contribution is links to businesses.

Must try harder. :) I'm taking Watty's past advice on this about feeding trolls, so no more on this from me.

Lots of Love.

Indeed I do.........Dignity, Courtesy and Good Manners.

Indeed I do.........Dignity, Courtesy and Good Manners.

Perhaps then you could do me the courtesy of answering my earlier question put directly to you.

Might also be worth mentioning whether channel list pre programming is available/included on the supplier list.
    Will do, I'm working on a more comprehensive list, should have it for monday. if a mod wants to let me know if this is ok?

Will do, I'm working on a more comprehensive list, should have it for monday. if a mod wants to let me know if this is ok?

Perhaps a PM to marclt might help?

if you could that would be great

• Advertisement

if you could that would be great

No problem done

Ok, here's what I've come up with so far:

Reputable Irish Sellers of the Ferguson Ariva 120 HD Combo Receiver.
    Watch Satellite & Terrestrial Television on One Receiver with 2 tuners and USB PVR Function.
    The cheapest solution to saving money on TV bills in Ireland, once off payment :)

List of Retailers:

Site: www.satworld.ie
    Price: €94.99
    Shipping: €8.50 for any size of order, orders over €250 free shipping
    Pre-Programmed: Yes
    HDMI Cable: Yes, 1.8m
    Walk-in Store: Yes, €99.99 instore.

Link: http://satworld.ie/product-info.php?...er-pid171.html

Site: www.satellite.ie
    Price: €96.99
    Shipping: €6.49 for any size order
    HDMI Cable: No
    Walk-in Store: No

Link: http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/HD_...Combo_Box.html

Site: www.freesat.ie
    Price: €129.00
    Shipping: €7.99
    HDMI Cable: Yes, 2m
    Walk-in Store: Yes

Link: http://www.freesat.ie/index.php?cat=...bc37330379b9fa

Site: www.tvtrade.ie
    Price: €98.62
    Shipping: Orders Below €250 are around €9 inc VAT
    Walk-in Store: No

Link: http://www.tvtrade.ie/ferguson-ariva-120-hd-combo.html

Site: www.megavision.ie
    Price: €98.00
    Shipping: €10.00
    Walk-in Store: Yes

Link: http://www.megavision.ie/ferguson-ar...120-combo.html

Foreign Sellers of the Ferguson Ariva 120 HD Combo Receiver:

Manufacturer Website:

www.ferguson-digital.eu
    Latest Software available here:
    http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/download/HD-Satellite-Receivers/ariva-120-combo/
    Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056403172

Good work but just to mention that satworld charge 99.99 for walk ins. Still a great price and very understandable given the overhead of running a bricks and mortar store.

Edit: @ shblob, I've updated my price would you mind editing my entry ?

done :)

wonder why satsklep dont have it on the site anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

are the mods on holiday?

Last seen at the launch of Network 2.

done :)

Thanks :) could you take a look at my post edit please, sorry for the hassle

Done Tony, no worries at all. If anybody has anybody to add, need ammendments to the list feel free to PM me or post here, we want everybody to be happy here, at the end of the day its the lowest cost receiver in Ireland and is a great alternative to pay-tv. Hope everybody saves money on tv bills with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Good work but just to mention that satworld charge 99.99 for walk ins. Still a great price and very understandable given the overhead of running a bricks and mortar store.

Edit: @ shblob, I've updated my price would you mind editing my entry ?

Also, no free HDMI cable with walk in sales according to their site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Thats 3 people with low post counts <20 stirring it in the last few days here and their only form of contribution is links to businesses.

Personally, I think that they are doing the firms they are recommending no favours. It simply begs the question why they feel the need to resort to such tactics. (Hence my earlier comment re some posts being informative.)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

wonder why satsklep dont have it on the site anymore?

Strange as I bought one from there just last week.
    maybe I got the last one

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

Not sure what thread this should be in (seeing as how there's several to do with the Ferguson Combo boxes :confused: ).

Thanks to shblob's list and someone who owed me a few quid giving it back I popped up to Megavideo in Dungarvan and bought a 220 Combo. It's a great little box, about half the size of the original combo I had before (bought from Tony at a great price and speedy delivery :cool: ).

I paid €125 for the 220 HD Combo, got it home and it was up and running in...hours. :eek:

I went into the menu and chose to update the firmware over the LAN connection - bad move - it downloaded some freaky firmware from the Polish server. :o

After much panic I found a great site with all kinds of firmware here:

http://plff.wodzislaw.org.pl/full/

Once I put the proper firmware onto the 220 it took all of ten minutes to scan for Freesat and Saorview. Picture quality is fantastic and the user interface is much better and user-friendly than the HD Combo. It has RSS feeds, games and the weather. Apparently it has web radio but I haven't got around to that yet. With over 400 TV channels and over 200 radio channels it's taking me some time to sort them all.

:)

edit: Checked the web radio function, works, basic but works.

the 220 is bigger than the 120 not half the size of it ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

Ooops - the other one - the original one - the HD Combo without a number.

:)

The model before these was the 200? is it a ferguson ariva?

• Advertisement

When it originally came out it was just called the combo with no number . Was a lot bigger alright

was that before the 200? If so I never even knew one existed before that!

yep sure was

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Shannon_Gaels

Hi Tony

Maybe you could kindly advise how i can resolve this issue.

This issue occurs on all firmware updates post V2.14B4 .

The issue is a as follows

If i re-tune / re-scan all Saorview channels at say 11am ,all channels will display including rte jnr but when RTE 1 +1 starts transmitting at 7pm then i will get only Sound and no picture.

Then if i re-tune the channels at 9pm then rte 1 + 1 is fine but when rte jnr broadcasts i will have sound and no picture.

I have 3 of these boxes in the house and all have the same issue, if i reload v2.14B4 then this problem goes away , but this firmware has the issue with the locking up on hd channels.

Do you think this is a firmware issue . or ami doing something wrong

i have seen some other posts on this forum flagging the same issue.

should i email feguson about it ?

thanks
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I need to get something that will work in Spain. I have a dish with a cheap box pointing at 28 degrees and would like to pick up their dtt. Would this work there?

• Advertisement
Advertisement