Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bargain Alert: New Ferguson HD DTT/Sat Combo Box - €63 before postage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Hi Peter, I don't think you are doing anything wrong as I've heard of more than one instance of this happening however the strange thing is that it does not happen to everyone using the b8 firmware. When you re scan does the scan overwrite the existing channels ?

Its certainly worth emailing ferguson as they might be able to identify a difference in the two firmware versions that might relate to this . Unfortunately we cannot ask RTE about their transmission parameters as their solution to every issue so far as been to advise thet we all buy Saorview approved boxes even though no combo has yet been approved.

Edit: Have you tried a manual scan also ?

Do you think this is a firmware issue . or ami doing something wrong

i have seen some other posts on this forum flagging the same issue.

should i email feguson about it ?

thanks
    Peter

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

harney wrote: »
    I need to get something that will work in Spain. I have a dish with a cheap box pointing at 28 degrees and would like to pick up their dtt. Would this work there?
    Hi Harney,

When you say "cheap box" do you mean a combo box?

I lived in Barcelona and their DTT is compatible to ours - I bought a Philips TV there with a built-in DTT decoder and it works perfectly here in Ireland with Saorview.

If you're looking at satellite reception for TV I don't know how that works in Spain but their digital tv signal is everywhere and a basic device over there for picking up DTT can be as cheap as €20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

Hi Tony

Maybe you could kindly advise how i can resolve this issue.

This issue occurs on all firmware updates post V2.14B4 .

The issue is a as follows

If i re-tune / re-scan all Saorview channels at say 11am ,all channels will display including rte jnr but when RTE 1 +1 starts transmitting at 7pm then i will get only Sound and no picture.

Then if i re-tune the channels at 9pm then rte 1 + 1 is fine but when rte jnr broadcasts i will have sound and no picture.

I have 3 of these boxes in the house and all have the same issue, if i reload v2.14B4 then this problem goes away , but this firmware has the issue with the locking up on hd channels.

Do you think this is a firmware issue . or ami doing something wrong

i have seen some other posts on this forum flagging the same issue.

should i email feguson about it ?

thanks
    Peter

Peter. I have had a few issues with the terrestrial channels. But they now seem to be ok.

For what its worth try this.

Delete the terrestrial tv channels AND the terrestrial radio channels.
    Then do an automatic rescan to add these channels.

If it fails to resolve the issue delete these tv and radio channels again and then add them again with an automatic scan a second time. Try it a third time even if does not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Shannon_Gaels

Tony wrote: »
    Hi Peter, I don't think you are doing anything wrong as I've heard of more than one instance of this happening however the strange thing is that it does not happen to everyone using the b8 firmware. When you re scan does the scan overwrite the existing channels ?

Its certainly worth emailing ferguson as they might be able to identify a difference in the two firmware versions that might relate to this . Unfortunately we cannot ask RTE about their transmission parameters as their solution to every issue so far as been to advise thet we all buy Saorview approved boxes even though no combo has yet been approved.

Edit: Have you tried a manual scan also ?

Hi Tony & Trevord

Thanks for reply
    When i do a manual scan for terrestial it scans a 8 channels again, and RTE 1 + 1 will come on if i do it in the evening but then rte jnr will not work in the morning then. How do i manual scan one channel?

I have deleted all the channels and reboot and scan again but it will still be the same, I might try deleting the radio channels as well and re-scan to check again,

Even if i had a brand new unit out of box and upload latest firmware 2.15 B8 it will happen so thats what it looks to be a bug to me ,since with version 2.14 B4 it works fine

I will email ferguson but don't expect a reply.

thanks again
    Peter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

cork45 wrote: »
    No I'm using an English Freesat from Sky card, I don't have a clue if you could get those channels in hd with an Irish card.
    Did you have to tune in Channel 5*/5 USA? Have the UK FTA card and just have channel 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 mongoola

Hi Tony & Trevord

Thanks for reply
    When i do a manual scan for terrestial it scans a 8 channels again, and RTE 1 + 1 will come on if i do it in the evening but then rte jnr will not work in the morning then. How do i manual scan one channel?

I have deleted all the channels and reboot and scan again but it will still be the same, I might try deleting the radio channels as well and re-scan to check again,

Even if i had a brand new unit out of box and upload latest firmware 2.15 B8 it will happen so thats what it looks to be a bug to me ,since with version 2.14 B4 it works fine

I will email ferguson but don't expect a reply.

thanks again
    Peter

Exact same problem here! It's getting on my wick now. Been like that since I bought unit a few weeks ago. I wish you luck e-mailing Ferguson since they never even acknowledged my e-mails!:confused:

mongoola wrote: »
    Exact same problem here! It's getting on my wick now. Been like that since I bought unit a few weeks ago. I wish you luck e-mailing Ferguson since they never even acknowledged my e-mails!:confused:

did you try deleting the radio channels ?
    Trevord wrote: »
    I have had a few issues with the terrestrial channels. But they now seem to be ok.

For what its worth try this.

Delete the terrestrial tv channels AND the terrestrial radio channels.
    Then do an automatic rescan to add these channels.

If it fails to resolve the issue delete these tv and radio channels again and then add them again with an automatic scan a second time. Try it a third time even if does not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 mongoola

did you try deleting the radio channels ?

I did, but going to have another go at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Out of stock from Satworld.ie
    http://satworld.ie/product-info.php?Ferguson_Ariva_HD_120_Combo_Combi_Receiver-pid171.html

available for pre-order for 84.99 but you have to wait around 2-3 weeks, bargain from an Irish supplier.

Satellite.ie is the cheapest with the ariva in stock! although only 10 units so buy quick!
    Any idea when you'll have the next batch tony? they seem to be in demand now !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Did you have to tune in Channel 5*/5 USA? Have the UK FTA card and just have channel 5.

I did a scan and tuned in 5* and 5usa, I have a uk Freesat from sky card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Looking to get one of these, but can anyone tell me - what's the difference between the Ferguson Ariva 120 Combo, the 200 Combo, the 210 Combo and the 220 Combo?

I can't see any difference in any of the specs.

Sorry for posting here, but there are so many Ariva threads, I didn't want to start a new one.

SeamusFX wrote: »

Theres your answer :) as far as the free to air Irish market is concerned there is no difference.

Looking to get one of these, but can anyone tell me - what's the difference between the Ferguson Ariva 120 Combo, the 200 Combo, the 210 Combo and the 220 Combo?

Sorry for posting here, but there are so many Ariva threads, I didn't want to start a new one.
    In general there's not much difference (as Tony said) but AFAIK the 200 models have a better chipset, a Common Interface, extra connectors (CVBS-RCA), and Dolby Digital Plus EAC3 support - oh and they use a Universal Remote Unit (RCU) so it's supposed to be easy to replace and you can control more devices from a single remote. :)

cheapest

+
    Component Output
    Common Interface slot

+
    V2 Multifunctional Remote
    Full Display Screen
    Component Output
    Common Interface slot

nodolan wrote: »
    and Dolby Digital Plus EAC3 support - oh and they use a Universal Remote Unit (RCU) so it's supposed to be easy to replace and you can control more devices from a single remote. :)

The 120 has dolby digital plus but whats the EA3 part, is that another codec ?
    To be honest I'm not a fan of the universal remote seemed to cause more confusion with users than anything else

The 120 has dolby digital plus but whats the EA3 part, is that another codec ?
    To be honest I'm not a fan of the universal remote seemed to cause more confusion with users than anything else
    The Dolby thingy is the 7.1 surround as opposed to the 'old fashioned' 5.1 plus it's a higher bitrate. :)

TBH it wasn't something I was thinking about when I bought mine.

The majority of people (I'm guessing) who are into having 7.1 probably would be looking at much higher spec equipment than the Ariva Combos.

(Must hook up the optical from the 220 to my Onkyo and see what it's like)

Thanks for all the replies.:)

I thought the 120 also had the Common Interface slot, not that I'd use it.

I also wouldn't be too interested in the slightly higher audio specs and the universal remote has it's advantages, but also disadvantageous as Tony points out.

I'm not too sure what Full Display Screen and Component Output are?

If the 210 and 220 have better chipsets, does that mean they'll be less buggy, since I've read the 120 is buggy?

Also would the Channel list editor I've seen posted here on boards work for all of these models?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SteM

I thought the 120 also had the Common Interface slot, not that I'd use it.

I also wouldn't be too interested in the slightly higher audio specs and the universal remote has it's advantages, but also disadvantageous as Tony points out.

If the 210 and 220 have better chipsets, does that mean they'll be less buggy, since I've read the 120 is buggy?

Also would the Channel list editor I've seen posted here on boards work for all of these models?

Full Display Screen is a screen at the front of the box showing the channel name.

Component Output - Output for component video. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

Component is an older video output which has been overtaken by HDMI. I'm also not sure thet there is a different/better chipset, thought they all used the same Ali type chipset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Brian P

I've been playing around with my Ariva 120 for the past week and I'm very pleased with it.I'm particularly impressed with the picture quality especially sd programmes using the 576i resolution which seems to give a sharper image than my Sky box's 576P or higher resolution. I view HD images with 1080i resolution and get a smashing picture. I'm curious as to what resolution other users find the best.

Component is an older video output which has been overtaken by HDMI. I'm also not sure thet there is a different/better chipset, thought they all used the same Ali type chipset.
    Thanks. :)

So if the 210 & 220 have Component Output and the 120 doesn't, does that mean the 210 & 220 have both a HDMI connector and Component Output and the 120 only has the HDMI connector?

Edit - It appears the 120 has a scart connection, so then I'd assume the Component Output is a bit redundant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Thanks. :)

So if the 210 & 220 have Component Output and the 120 doesn't, does that mean the 210 & 220 have both a HDMI connector and Component Output and the 120 only has the HDMI connector?

Edit - It appears the 120 has a scart connection, so then I'd assume the Component Output is a bit redundant.

The differences

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75113220&postcount=2250

Hi STB - Thanks :)

I hadn't seen that pages and those photos, that clears things up perfectly.

Unfortunately there was so much nonsense being posted in this thread, some of the great points are easily missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

First of all I wish to thank everybody here for their input. There has been a lot of great advice and opinions.#

I purchased an Ariva 120 and ariel from TV Trade a couple of weeks ago. I have to say its a great box for the money. Its very easy to program. I'm a hands on user not one to RTFM, so when the Saorview didn't work, I found TV Trades video's excellent to steer me in the right direction quickly :-)

My main disappointment with the box is the placement of the USB port. There should be one at the rear as well as / instead of the one at the front. I've a USB stick at the front for shifting which takes away from the look of the box.

I've seen a number of post on other threads about lip sync being out on the sat channels, so I'm not sure where the fault lies, however I have had difficulties with this.

I suppose if I was to be honest, my one big peeve with this box is the slow processor speed/lack of memory. I've often experienced a 15 - 20 second delay in response of the box to pressing a button on the remote. This mainly occurs when I've had the radio on with the audio visualisation. However I have also experienced this with having made adjustments in the menu. This may well be a memory leak in the software, however it is extremely annoying when it happens.

I'm still on a CRT TV with a SCART input. The clarity from the box is excellent - IMHO better than the $ky box I had. I downloaded a TV clip from you tube the other night and converted to mpg4. It played very well from the USB stick.

Overall I'm very happy with the box and would recommend it to anybody. Thanks to all here for helping me make a good choice.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

I bought one of these USB sticks for the Ariva Combo 120...

555097.jpg

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/LACIE-MosKeyto-USB-Flash-Drive-8GB/307901/134

Although it is tiny, I still can't close the flap fully, but at least the USB stick won't get knocked out accidentally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I've a USB stick at the front for shifting which takes away from the look of the box.

You need to be careful of the settings ...... USB sticks were not designed for constant access, which was what used to happen when the live pause (or whatever it was called) was enabled.

You need to be careful of the settings ...... USB sticks were not designed for constant access, which was what used to happen when the live pause (or whatever it was called) was enabled.

Cheers Johnboy.

I am aware that the constant read/write to the memory of the USB stick can lead to a shortening in the life of the stick. However 2Gb sticks are fairly cheap and look less unsightly than a USB cable sticking out of the front of the box and trailing to an external HDD with more cables and plugs for external power - IMHO ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

The other option (although sure to violate your guarantee) is to switch your usb port to the backof the box by removing the RS232 port - simple to follow pictures on this thread.

I have done it and makes the box somuch neater to look - but at your own risk !!!!

The other option (although sure to violate your guarantee) is to switch your usb port to the backof the box by removing the RS232 port - simple to follow pictures on this thread.

I have done it and makes the box somuch neater to look - but at your own risk !!!!

Just to save a couple of hours of reading through this lonnnng thread for anybody else looking for this easy mod, the instructions can be found at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056284276&page=101

Many thanks to Strawberry Hillbilly for pushing me this and Sproker for making it look very easy. Now to wait till the missus goes to bed so that I can attack the box :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Whatever you do, hang on to the rs232 port that you remove... You never know when you might need to unbrick the stb ;)

• Advertisement

Its a handy little mod alright, pity it voids the warranty :(

Can't see why ferguson have the USB port in such a stupid place ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

For anyone with intermittent picture issues while watching the terrestrial channels it is probably due to reduced signal quality and intensity, try reducing the picture from 1080i to the lowest 576i. Mine has gone from having no picture to perfect when I do this and when I check the signal it improves when lower resolution is chosen but then some days it works perfectly as the signal is great even with 1080i chosen. RTE must still be tweaking the signal in some areas?

shblob wrote: »
    Its a handy little mod alright, pity it voids the warranty :(

Can't see why ferguson have the USB port in such a stupid place ?

Because it is anything but stupid ...... do you think I want to be groping around in the back of the device looking for a socket to plug my flash drive into, every time I decide I want to use it to record something?

Or if you have an external hard drive which is 100 times better for recording you plug in once and don't take it out...

I think the vast majority of users would like the USB socket to be at the back as most people plug in a hard drive and leave it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

2 USBs and we'd all be happy

recyclebin wrote: »
    2 USBs and we'd all be happy

I'm not sure about that if it puts the price up.

I think the vast majority of users would like the USB socket to be at the back as most people plug in a hard drive and leave it there.

The fact that it is at the front would imply that the manufacturer does not agree with your estimate of 'the vast majority of users'.

I would be inclined to think they have a fair grasp of their market and users requirements. Of course they could be wrong .......

what about the fact that the tuners are screwed onto the box at the back and it looks like a normal satellite box with a terrestrial tuner added onto it or something in the first place?

Its not an estimate, its what customers tell me and since I deal with and listen to customers and the manufacturer does not in this case, I believe I (and other retailers) have a much better grasp of the market than ferguson does. If people tell me they prefer the USB on the back I don't argue with them , I tell ferguson.

If you feel that strongly about it though why not run a poll here and see what result you get.

The fact that it is at the front would imply that the manufacturer does not agree with your estimate of 'the vast majority of users'.

I would be inclined to think they have a fair grasp of their market and users requirements. Of course they could be wrong .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

Satsklep semm to have stopped selling them

Is there a reason , are they replacing them with a different model?

They're just out of production for a week or two

waster81 wrote: »
    Satsklep semm to have stopped selling them

Is there a reason , are they replacing them with a different model?

Probably out of stock tbh, there aren't many around at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

They're just out of production for a week or two

thanks

Its not an estimate, its what customers tell me and since I deal with and listen to customers and the manufacturer does not in this case, I believe I (and other retailers) have a much better grasp of the market than ferguson does. If people tell me they prefer the USB on the back I don't argue with them , I tell ferguson.

If you feel that strongly about it though why not run a poll here and see what result you get.

Not an estimate? ....... could hardly be called fact from what you posted .... "I think the vast majority of users would like the USB socket to be at the back"

It may well be that the vast majority of your customers would prefer the socket on the rear of the device .... but that does not in any way imply that the vast majority of Ferguson's Ariva users have a similar preference.
    On the contrary, the fact that it is on the front would imply that Ferguson believes it is the preference for their target market.

I have no need of a poll to know what I prefer ...... but if you feel the need to have one to help you persuade Ferguson to move the socket, I promise I will vote if I see it.

The optimum (IMO), as has already been mentioned, would be to have a socket on back and front ...... but I don't believe there is a second USB header on the board, so that is unlikely, I guess, in the short term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭discobrother1

Im not all that put out by the usb being on the front but i tell you one addition that they could add that would make this the best buy of all time and that would be an RF out. Is it too much to ask to have an RF out these days. These lnb loop throughs are about as useful as an ash tray on a motor bike. :-)

RF out are becoming a thing of the past as it will not carry HD and with the cost of boxes going lower it makes little commercial sense from a manufacturing point of view as it adds significantly to the cost/end use price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭discobrother1

Ya agreed Tony, but it is very handy for anyone wanting to just pipe the channels through to another room without having to use an RF Modulator.

Yes of course I agree with you but its cut throat price wise out there and I know ferguson for one would not add one in as they don't think the cost could be justified in terms of any extra sales it might bring.

Ya agreed Tony, but it is very handy for anyone wanting to just pipe the channels through to another room without having to use an RF Modulator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Hi, just for anyone looking to buy one of these, Satworld.ie are selling them at €84.99 (+€8.50 postage) at the moment. I think it may be the cheapest around. Online only offer.

http://satworld.ie/product-info.php?Ferguson_Ariva_HD_120_Combo_Combi_Receiver-pid171.html

Can Satellite.ie compete with this offer or maybe give us another boards discount?

Advertisement