Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bargain Alert: New Ferguson HD DTT/Sat Combo Box - €63 before postage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Afraid I cannot answer that as commercial interaction is against forum rules without a moderators permission.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Hi Techguy, yes, that's a great offer. You'll have to wait til mid-late november for delivery though. Still, excellent from an Irish retailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Tony wrote: »
    Afraid I cannot answer that as commercial interaction is against forum rules without a moderators permission.
    Thats fair enough, I know you do your best for your customers.
    shblob wrote: »
    Hi Techguy, yes, that's a great offer. You'll have to wait til mid-late november for delivery though. Still, excellent from an Irish retailer.
    Yeah its the cheapest I've seen anyway and I think stocks are running low everywhere so may as well get a discount if your going to be waiting.

TheTechGuy wrote: »

Yeah its the cheapest I've seen anyway and I think stocks are running low everywhere so may as well get a discount if your going to be waiting.
    True, not too long to wait either, have had nothing but good experience with the lads in there too ;)

True, not too long to wait either, have had nothing but good experience with the lads in there too ;)

Yep Andre is a good guy

• Advertisement

There is another thread which confirms that Boards.ie works as a code for 5% off on www.satworld.ie this makes the 120 around 80 quid or so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

There is another thread which confirms that Boards.ie works as a code for 5% off on www.satworld.ie this makes the 120 around 80 quid or so

:confused: What's 5% of 120?

The ferguson ariva 120, which is what this thread is about!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Thats a great price isnt it, wish I could afford one! €81.43 before postage.

not bad at all tbh. I already have one though haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 fuzzball

what about having 1 yr olds who will eat the front facing memory stick

what about them?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

fuzzball wrote: »
    what about having 1 yr olds who will eat the front facing memory stick

The 1 year olds are extra (so are the memory sticks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I have been struggling to pick up the five BBC streams since they moved frequency a couple of months ago. I gather they are now on Astra 28.2 / (11954 H 27500) and yet, when I do a transponder search I get nothing! All other stations/ transponders are fine I think, although I notice that I can only pick up BBC Radio2 on Eurobird, which may or may not be odd?

Any ideas, anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

LordSutch wrote: »
    I have been struggling to pick up the five BBC streams since they moved frequency a couple of months ago. I gather they are now on Astra 28.2 / (11954 H 27500) and yet, when I do a transponder search I get nothing! All other stations/ transponders are fine I think, although I notice that I can only pick up BBC Radio2 on Eurobird, which may or may not be odd?

Any ideas, anybody?

That's correct Astra 2 11954 H 27500 2/3
    look for 6711, 6712, 6713, 6714, 6715
    Most BBC radio are here too except radio 5L and 5SX which are on 10803 H 22000 5/6

But how do I do that in practice on this box?

I am familiar with searching transponders, but this transponder 11954 H 27500 is reading No signal ???

Help!

are you using a sky dish? could be a dodgy lnb, this is quite common.

are you using a sky dish? could be a dodgy lnb, this is quite common.

Yes I am using a Sky dish, but would a faulty LNB affect just one transponder? bearing in mind that everything else is working just fine, it really is only (11954 H 27500) that's dead, I'm thinking more along the lines that there might be a glitch in the box, since I upgraded to the new 2.15b5 Firmware?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Try deleting that transponder from the list, and add it on again later. It may be just a temporary software glitch.

Strange things happen with those LNBs for some transponders or polarity.
    I will have a look on my box tomorrow and let you know if it's the software or not.

• Advertisement

There is no glitch in the box that could possibly cause the problem you are describing .

, I'm thinking more along the lines that there might be a glitch in the box, since I upgraded to the new 2.15b5 Firmware?

Oh my God, after weeks of searching I have just found the BBC Red Button streams (by accident)! All along I have been correctly searching on Astra 28.2, but this morning I was listening to BBC Radio 2 on (Eurobird 1), then forgetting that I was on the Eurobird satellite I went into TP search yet again looking for the missing streams, and this time the signal strength & quality were showing a very high output with 6711, 6712, 6713, 6714, 6715 all looking good :))

I'm still baffled as to why I got them on Eurobird 1, instead of Astra 2, so I can only guess its just a labelling issue? For a while there I thought I had buggered the boxes with the firmware upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 peadar99

Something that caught me out for a while after a firmware update was the LNB Frequency under Antenna Setup. I had somehow managed to get the one for Eurobird set correctly but not the Astra 2 one.
    Low frequency transponders were fine, but channels from higher frequency transponders would then come in on the expected transponder from Eurobird, but on either the wrong transponder or not at all from Astra 2.
    Setting the frequency to Universal - 9,750-10,600 fixed it up for me. [I did have to delete and rescan some of the goofy transponders.]

Oh my God, after weeks of searching I have just found the BBC Red Button streams (by accident)! All along I have been correctly searching on Astra 28.2, but this morning I was listening to BBC Radio 2 on (Eurobird 1), then forgetting that I was on the Eurobird satellite I went into TP search yet again looking for the missing streams, and this time the signal strength & quality were showing a very high output with 6711, 6712, 6713, 6714, 6715 all looking good :))

I'm still baffled as to why I got them on Eurobird 1, instead of Astra 2, so I can only guess its just a labelling issue? For a while there I thought I had buggered the boxes with the firmware upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Strange things happen with those LNBs for some transponders or polarity.

:confused: Can you elaborate, on what evidence do you base this statement?

Can we keep this on topic guys please. Discussions about LNB's deserve their own thread.

sometimes 'h' frequencies don't work at all on those lnbs and sometimes 'v' frequencies don't work. due to lnb fault.

sometimes 'h' frequencies don't work at all on those lnbs and sometimes 'v' frequencies don't work. due to lnb fault.

Ok but can we leave it at that and stick to ferguson specific issues please :)

Ok but can we leave it at that and stick to ferguson specific issues please :)

So what do you make of my TP post#2423 Tony? What do you think has caused 11954 to be labled on Eurobird?

So what do you make of my TP post#2423 Tony? What do you think has caused 11954 to be labled on Eurobird?

I've no idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I'm not entirely convinced the device differentiates between satellites in this way, so perhaps if you did a normal search on what you have labelled as "astra" then a blind search on "eurobird" you could get something like you're describing. eg. when you manually add a satellite to the list you can name it whatever so it isn't trying to match it with a particular satellite.

I've no idea

OK Tony, I'll explain in detail.

A month or two ago the BBC announced some Transponder changes which included the then seven Red Button Streams becoming five (due to BBC cut backs). The Five stream channels were now to be found on Astra 28.2 TP 11954 H 27500. And since that time several weeks ago I have been trying to get the streams by selecting the Astra channel list and then going into the main menu & doing a single TP search (Astra heading) on 11954 H 27500, but its always been dead, with no signal whatsoever!

What I have discovered this morning was that if I select the Eurobird channel list & then go into the main Menu (select single TP search) then 11954 H 27500 comes to life and I can press the blue button & capture all stations on that Transponder. My box has this transponder listed under Eurobird 1. Might it be a labelling issue in the box? I've no idea (as you would say) but I'm happy with that issue now, and the five BBC streams are to be found in my box on Eurobird 1, and not on the Astra 28.2 Satellite.

Hope this helps.

So if I understand you correctly you are asking me a question that you already know the answer to ? Have I misunderstood you ?

When I say I've no idea it really means what is says in so far I do not have an answer to your question which was "What do you think has caused 11954 to be labled on Eurobird?"

Hope this helps.

So if I understand you correctly you are asking me a question that you already know the answer to ? Have I misunderstood you ?

Not to worry Tony, I was just trying to highlight an anomoly in my Ariva 120.

Not to worry Tony, I was just trying to highlight an anomoly in my Ariva 120.

No problem, next time I get a chance I'll try to replicate what happened to your box to try to gain an understanding of whats going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

A month or two ago the BBC announced some Transponder changes which included the then seven Red Button Streams becoming five (due to BBC cut backs). The Five stream channels were now to be found on Astra 28.2 TP 11954 H 27500. And since that time several weeks ago I have been trying to get the streams by selecting the Astra channel list and then going into the main menu & doing a single TP search (Astra heading) on 11954 H 27500, but its always been dead, with no signal whatsoever!

What I have discovered this morning was that if I select the Eurobird channel list & then go into the main Menu (select single TP search) then 11954 H 27500 comes to life and I can press the blue button & capture all stations on that Transponder. My box has this transponder listed under Eurobird 1. Might it be a labelling issue in the box? I've no idea (as you would say) but I'm happy with that issue now, and the five BBC streams are to be found in my box on Eurobird 1, and not on the Astra 28.2 Satellite.

Hope this helps.

Well done on resolving this. The lack of signal from the transponder had me really puzzled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Can anyone give a link to a list of pro's and con's in laymans English or a basic list of what this box can and can't do without having to go through 156 pages of info and questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Quick question, when setting the timer to record, on some channels I get the message "invalid input, continue to edit.
    yes-no"
    Tv 3 and rte especially.
    But on other channels there's no problem.
    Any ideas why I'm getting this??
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

kbell wrote: »
    Quick question, when setting the timer to record, on some channels I get the message "invalid input, continue to edit.
    yes-no"
    Tv 3 and rte especially.
    But on other channels there's no problem.
    Any ideas why I'm getting this??
    Cheers.
    The only time I ever saw that was when two timer settings clashed or overlapped.

Doodoo wrote: »
    Can anyone give a link to a list of pro's and con's in laymans English or a basic list of what this box can and can't do without having to go through 156 pages of info and questions.
    Good
    Satellite+Terrestrial in one box, one remote
    USB PVR Function
    Nice looking STB
    HD
    Very cheap

Bad
    No MHEG5
    Can have strange glitches at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Good
    Satellite+Terrestrial in one box, one remote
    USB PVR Function
    Nice looking STB
    HD
    Very cheap
    Media Player functionality (Can play many different video formats, including the increasingly popular h264 format)
    Card Reader (Just pop your sky card in and you may even get some extra channels)
    Has Timeshift/Live pause features like sky+ (In principal anyways, she's nowhere near as good as sky+ of course)

Bad
    No MHEG5
    Can have strange glitches at times
    the box, channels have to be updated manually
    No 7 day satellite EPG
    Temperamental 7 Day dtt/saorview EPG
    Adds /\ :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

I have a white sky card that gives me five usa etc. Will this work in this box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Yes it will work!

You wont need the card as Fiver and Five USA will be free to air next month (6 December) on 28.2.

Hope this helps.

Yes I have replicated this. Its a glitch in the software.

On first install some TPs fail during search. They never come back.

Your solution of using the Eurobird preset satellite is a way around this. I had this problem with the TP that Sky news is on. Adding the TP under Astra did not work.

So good solution.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

STB wrote: »
    You wont need the card as Fiver and Five USA will be free to air next month (6 December) on 28.2.

Didn't know that, excellent news.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Can some-one kindly give me a link to the latest firmware and channels please. Have searched this forum but getting confused with all the references to different versions. Thanks.

Thanks shblob but I need the one with the Irish channels. Thanks.

you can put a channel list in seperate.. and you will have to rescan the irish channels anyway?

Last time I updated the firmware there was a channel list (incl Irish DTT) was in the file.

• Advertisement
Advertisement