Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bargain Alert: New Ferguson HD DTT/Sat Combo Box - €63 before postage

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Can some-one kindly give me a link to the latest firmware and channels please. Have searched this forum but getting confused with all the references to different versions. Thanks.

The latest firmware can be found here (2.15b8) and my channel list here I'm in Dublin so depending where you are you might have to re-scan for the irish channels but everything else is organised.

To upload the channel list just copy over the file to a memory stick and

(1) Insert USB stick
    (2) Go to Menu->Tools->Upgrade By USB
    (3) As upgrade mode please choose: userdb
    (4) Upgrade file - toggle left or right to chose the file with your channel list
    (5) Start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

link to channel list not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

shblob wrote: »
    link to channel list not working.
    Link is fixed now.
    Zab wrote: »
    Thats it thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭b318isp

Picked up the Ariva 220 recently and gave it a work out over the weekend. Here's some thoughts which should also apply to the 120. Note, comments related to HDMI connection at 1080i into a Pioneer 42" plasma and optical audio into a HT processor, and compared to a Lidl HDD sat receiver connected via RGB Scart:

+ POSTIVES
    1 HD pictures very good, as expected.
    2 Very easy to set up for both FTA and DTT.
    3 Surprisingly easier than expected to edit channel list on the box.
    4 Good positive connections for hdmi and optical.
    5 OSD is good, with lots of relevant info.
    6 Integrated EPG.
    7 Easy to add transponders and to (re)scan.

- NEGATIVES
    1 SD program pictures very, very soft (and slightly worse again on DTT). I'd go so far as saying they were unacceptable. However, this was significantly addressed by dropping back to 576i. Conclusion is that the upscaling is not very good.
    2 Slight delay on channel switching on DTT, but not as bad as a Sky box.
    3 Although the display shows Dolby Digital, I haven't yet come across a transmission that the HT amp picks up as DD. There are no details in the manual on audio.
    4 Audio quality just so, so. There is a hardness in the midband, possibly a bias for voice.
    5 EPG slow to update and turns off the picture for a while as it loads.
    6 The remote is poorly made.
    7 The 220 remote allows control of 4 devices - however two of these (Amp & DVD) are for Ferguson devices only. A real disappointment for me - and something I didn't know beforehand.
    8 The 220 remote has a learning function - but only for the TV settings - and something I didn't know beforehand.
    9 Resolution of dark areas is not great. Contrast settings seem to be too high out of the box. I brought this down a little and increased brightness which helped.
    10 MPEG artefacts and blocks on high speed transitions on SD.

As Tony has said before, the 220 is NOT worth the extra few Euro over the 120 IMO. Great value though for what you're getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    The latest firmware can be found here (2.15b8) and my channel list here I'm in Dublin so depending where you are you might have to re-scan for the irish channels but everything else is organised.

To upload the channel list just copy over the file to a memory stick and

(1) Insert USB stick
    (2) Go to Menu->Tools->Upgrade By USB
    (3) As upgrade mode please choose: userdb
    (4) Upgrade file - toggle left or right to chose the file with your channel list
    (5) Start

Cheers but I ended up getting your recording schedule as well when I installed that! Is there an easy way to blow away whatever programs you might have set up to record on a weekly basis.

comet wrote: »
    Cheers but I ended up getting your recording schedule as well when I installed that! Is there an easy way to blow away whatever programs you might have set up to record on a weekly basis.
    Sorry about that! Didn't know they'd be included. Doesn't look like you can delete all at once but if you just go into each one and switch timer mode to off they'll disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Brian P

b318isp wrote: »
    1 SD program pictures very, very soft (and slightly worse again on DTT). I'd go so far as saying they were unacceptable. However, this was significantly addressed by dropping back to 576i. Conclusion is that the upscaling is not very good.
    I found the excellent 576i picture to be far superior for SD with the Ariva120

• Advertisement

Last night I plugged in an external HDD (with its own power supply). Was recognised instantly and I was recording away within seconds. Playback was fine too. Happy days.

However, a while later I was very surprised when the box crashed when changing channels. So, I started recording again - and once more it would work fine, but eventually crash on channel change.

I recorded DTT and stayed watching FTA, but crashing still occurred from time to time.

I noted that it seemed to regularly crash when changing back to the channel being recorded.

Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Tried a quick search but avi a bit too short. Has anyone a list of the compatible file types that will play on the 120? Tried an mp4 that I recorded off my Elgato at the weekend and that worked fine. Was just wondering would AVIs or any other formats play?

Tried a quick search but avi a bit too short. Has anyone a list of the compatible file types that will play on the 120? Tried an mp4 that I recorded off my Elgato at the weekend and that worked fine. Was just wondering would AVIs or any other formats play?

Check the manual, they are listed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

Hi b318isp - I'm not looking to 'start' something just wondering how you've got the 220 configured.
    Picked up the Ariva 220 recently and gave it a work out over the weekend. Here's some thoughts which should also apply to the 120. Note, comments related to HDMI connection at 1080i into a Pioneer 42" plasma and optical audio into a HT processor, and compared to a Lidl HDD sat receiver connected via RGB Scart:
    I'm using a Philips 32" LCD and an Onkyo surround system with a HDMI throughput and optical for audio.
    - NEGATIVES
    Are you using YUV output as opposed to RGB? Saorview is 'soft' compared to HDTV but I'm still viewing at 1080i-50 and it looks pretty good to me especially compared to analog but compared to SD satellite looks the same.
    2 Slight delay on channel switching on DTT, but not as bad as a Sky box.
    Lightning fast compared to Chorus LOL
    3 Although the display shows Dolby Digital, I haven't yet come across a transmission that the HT amp picks up as DD. There are no details in the manual on audio.
    Try using BS (Bitstream) instead of PCM on the 220 menu - that's what I'm using and my Onkyo shows me both DD and DTS for the HD channels.
    4 Audio quality just so, so. There is a hardness in the midband, possibly a bias for voice.
    Can't comment on that cos my system has built in EQ/Audyssey.
    5 EPG slow to update and turns off the picture for a while as it loads.
    Mine takes a second and gives me a PIP while viewing the EPG.
    6 The remote is poorly made.
    Yep.
    7 The 220 remote allows control of 4 devices - however two of these (Amp & DVD) are for Ferguson devices only. A real disappointment for me - and something I didn't know beforehand.
    8 The 220 remote has a learning function - but only for the TV settings - and something I didn't know beforehand.
    I'm too lazy to fiddle around with remotes, I have 4 at hand :o
    9 Resolution of dark areas is not great. Contrast settings seem to be too high out of the box. I brought this down a little and increased brightness which helped.
    Would this not be TV dependent? Regardless, I always customise my contrast/brightness/noise etc. settings.
    10 MPEG artefacts and blocks on high speed transitions on SD.
    Haven't experienced that :confused:

As Tony has said before, the 220 is NOT worth the extra few Euro over the 120 IMO. Great value though for what you're getting.
    Disagree, I use the RSS news feed every day and I have a list of radio stations that I listen to while reading world and tech news :D
    I'm wondering what firmware you're running on your 220?
    I'm on V2.15B8* 20110927 172231
    I think it might be a custom firmware from the website I gave a link to earlier. Perhaps that has made the difference?

Last night I plugged in an external HDD (with its own power supply). Was recognised instantly and I was recording away within seconds. Playback was fine too. Happy days.

However, a while later I was very surprised when the box crashed when changing channels. So, I started recording again - and once more it would work fine, but eventually crash on channel change.

I recorded DTT and stayed watching FTA, but crashing still occurred from time to time.

I noted that it seemed to regularly crash when changing back to the channel being recorded.

Anyone any ideas?
    Firmware?
    I'm recording RTE Prime Time right now and I'm surfing from BBC HD to Channel 5 to ITV1 HD with no problems - when I press the info button it shows me the status of my recording which I suppose is a 'feature' but it annoyed me.

Here's the link to the firmware I'm using:

http://plff.wodzislaw.org.pl/full/index.php?&direction=0&order=mod&directory=ARIVA%20220%20COMBO/SOFTY

I installed the official one first: A220Combo_20110927_2.15B8.zip
    and then the patched one: A220Combo_20110927_2.15B8_patch.zip

:cool:

edit: I'm using a 320gb IDE HDD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Sorry about that! Didn't know they'd be included. Doesn't look like you can delete all at once but if you just go into each one and switch timer mode to off they'll disappear.

Ah ok, thanks, didn't know how to get to that menu, sorted now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

It will play any H264 file no matter what the wrapper is (MKV/AVI/MP4) etc.

It will not play an XVID encoded file. You will have to reencode those files to MPEG4 H264 for them to play. Use format factory. Its free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dislanger

nodolan wrote: »
    Firmware?
    I'm recording RTE Prime Time right now and I'm surfing from BBC HD to Channel 5 to ITV1 HD with no problems - when I press the info button it shows me the status of my recording which I suppose is a 'feature' but it annoyed me.

Here's the link to the firmware I'm using:

http://plff.wodzislaw.org.pl/full/index.php?&direction=0&order=mod&directory=ARIVA%20220%20COMBO/SOFTY

I installed the official one first: A220Combo_20110927_2.15B8.zip
    and then the patched one: A220Combo_20110927_2.15B8_patch.zip

:cool:

edit: I'm using a 320gb IDE HDD.
    I was wondering if you found the patched file stable; lip sync on HD etc. I had to downgrade back to the previous firmware; just wondering how you got on?

Dislanger wrote: »
    I was wondering if you found the patched file stable; lip sync on HD etc. I had to downgrade back to the previous firmware; just wondering how you got on?
    No problems as far as I can see with lip sync.
    Wasn't there a problem with the transponder people were using?
    I seem to remember something about using Granada for one of the HD channels - I downloaded and imported my list from one of the 28.2 websites.

Patched firmware undoes some of the functionality of the official firmware.

There is also a process for flashing returning to default seetings, flashing and then turning box on and off.

There is a danger here that people will apply these patched versions to their boxes thinking it is patching something else. The patched versions are for cccam purposes ONLY. They do nothing else. I have already seen a patched version that knocks out the terrestrial tuner altogether. Some of these patches arent even stable.

Something for people to be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jay5296

Tony, have you received anymore Ariva 120 stbs!
    Sorry, justed checked the website, see you have 10 in stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Anyone know a useful way of recovering data from a flash drive, or to how reset your drive in the Ferguson.

As I'm in a spot of bother after a freezing incident the other day.
    I had some archived recordings on my flash drive but wanted to record something else so just threw it back into my Fergie the same day of the freezing.

The recording went fine; however, when I opened up the flash drive on my PC, my archived recordings were gone?
    Tried the error checking thing and still nothing.
    Okay, truth be told, they may not be gone but are definitely now hidden or not accessible for some reason.
    If I check the space of my flash drive in windows, it says 12 GB used which sounds about right. 3 GB for the most recent new recording and 9 GB for my archived work.

Surely there must be some way of getting at it, if it's actually still there?

I wouldn't see why they'd be hidden, but you can opt to see hidden files in folder options in windows.

If they've been deleted then look on the internet for tools that can "undelete" files, there's loads of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

norbert64 wrote: »
    Anyone know a useful way of recovering data from a flash drive, or to how reset your drive in the Ferguson.

As I'm in a spot of bother after a freezing incident the other day.
    I had some archived recordings on my flash drive but wanted to record something else so just threw it back into my Fergie the same day of the freezing.

The recording went fine; however, when I opened up the flash drive on my PC, my archived recordings were gone?
    Tried the error checking thing and still nothing.
    Okay, truth be told, they may not be gone but are definitely now hidden or not accessible for some reason.
    If I check the space of my flash drive in windows, it says 12 GB used which sounds about right. 3 GB for the most recent new recording and 9 GB for my archived work.

Surely there must be some way of getting at it, if it's actually still there?

There are tools to recover files that have been deleted .... different tools for different operating systems ..... so I suggest you look into those before recording anything else on that stick.
    Even as it is you may have overwritten some of the older stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

I wouldn't see why they'd be hidden, but you can opt to see hidden files in folder options in windows.
    Have show hidden files enabled on most of my computers permanently. :cool:
    There are tools to recover files that have been deleted .... different tools for different operating systems ..... so I suggest you look into those before recording anything else on that stick.
    Even as it is you may have overwritten some of the older stuff.
    I know there are lots of tools out there, lol.
    I was hoping you guys and gals might have some first hand knowledge of a particular recommended program/app/tool.

It's OK though. Have some good news. Tried recuva
    http://www.piriform.com/download
    I've managed to grab most of my archived material now. :cool:

STB wrote: »
    Patched firmware undoes some of the functionality of the official firmware.

There is also a process for flashing returning to default seetings, flashing and then turning box on and off.

There is a danger here that people will apply these patched versions to their boxes thinking it is patching something else. The patched versions are for cccam purposes ONLY. They do nothing else. I have already seen a patched version that knocks out the terrestrial tuner altogether. Some of these patches arent even stable.

Something for people to be aware of.

You are quite right STB to highlight the dangers of downloading and installing the patched firmware, although it will do very little harm to the box; it may confuse and mystify.

The reason why some of the patched firmware was seemingly unstable or knocked out options was that it was intended for a different Ferguson box; as the firmware that NODOLAN gave us links for; this is quite clearly for the 220 and not the 120; and should be avoided.

It would be an idea for NODOLAN to clarify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Could anyone confirm to me that if you record a program off Saorview that you can turn on subtitles during playback?

I've gotten conflicting answers about this.

Satellite.ie told me that it couldn't be done but here on boards I have been told you can

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056465714

Just looking for confirmation really as I'm sure the poster in the thread above has tested it and has pointed me in the right direction.

It's the most important aspect of the receiver for me is the ability to playback programs with subtitles due to a hearing problem.

Also (but not as importantly) can you play back with subtitles on the FTA channels (BBC, ITV, etc)

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Just to clarify, it may well work right now but we cannot sell the box on the basis of it working 100% as RTE may change the current subtitling system to a standard that the box does not support.

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Tony wrote: »
    Just to clarify, it may well work right now but we cannot sell the box on the basis of it working 100% as RTE may change the current subtitling system to a standard that the box does not support.

Ah I see... I wasn't making an accusation against your company or anything with my post but I was confused by the conflicting comments.

Given that Saorview has just been released it is surely unlikely that they will change their subtitling system in the near future? Obviously not looking for a definitive answer on this but just an opinion on it

Its fine I did not take it that way at all

Only they can answer that and unfortunately they will most likely tell you to buy a Saorview approved box , so far there is no approved combo box.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Razr3D

Anybody to advise me on where to start correcting this problem?
    I can't get men & motors, CBS Reality plus a few others, I have all the other CBS' even CBS Reality+1. I left Men & Motors on the other evening with (no signal) being displayed, while I was searching through Boards for an answer and a very poor picture came on for a few seconds after a while but couldn't watch it, it was so poor. I found the transponder details etc deleted the existing and added the details, but got 'no programs'. Is this a dish alignment problem or a fine tuning problem or a bad connection?:confused:

• Advertisement

Razr3D wrote: »
    Is this a dish alignment problem or a bad connection?:confused:

Probably either of these two

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Razr3D

Thanks Tony

Dislanger wrote: »
    You are quite right STB to highlight the dangers of downloading and installing the patched firmware, although it will do very little harm to the box; it may confuse and mystify.

The reason why some of the patched firmware was seemingly unstable or knocked out options was that it was intended for a different Ferguson box; as the firmware that NODOLAN gave us links for; this is quite clearly for the 220 and not the 120; and should be avoided.

It would be an idea for NODOLAN to clarify.
    nodolan said from the outset that he had a 220 and mentioned 220 several times. Drama Queen much?

edit:
    First mentioned here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75201827&postcount=2343
    Mentioned SEVEN TIMES here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75736869&postcount=2464
    Plus the firmware begins with the letters A220Combo unlike the 120 which begins with...A120Combo.
    :rolleyes:

Touchy are we?............or not?

Last time I looked this was a 120 thread; and my point and STB's being that for the uniniated and uncertain it could cause a difficulty when assumptions are made; as people very often do. That's all.

Ok, can we clear this up. I've just purchased my Ariva 120 combo
    and i'd like to know which version does what before i brick the box, can somebody come up with a list of the firmwares/versions and give there opinion on on each and which they would recommend to someone that has just bought a box.:) cheers

Just get the latest stock version if you don't need cardsharing and get the latest patch version if you do. Search for Tony's firmware if you want stock firmware with the channel list included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Just to let new readers know, I've been using my receiver in it's out of the box configuration from Satellite.ie for a few months now. Some slight freezing on ITV 4 aside it works perfectly from recording to arranging channels etc.

I've had no call to install any new firmware, but would have no issue doing so if required, but it simply worked from day one.

Just get the latest stock version if you don't need cardsharing and get the latest patch version if you do. Search for Tony's firmware if you want stock firmware with the channel list included.

1000 posts Zap:) Sorry, maybe i should know this but whats the difference between the stock and patch version

jay5296 wrote: »
    1000 posts Zap:) Sorry, maybe i should know this but whats the difference between the stock and patch version

1000 posts, and at least 20 times being called Zap :)

The patch version is an unofficial release that has the cardsharing parts enabled. You'll have to do some googling if you don't know what that is. The stock version is the official version that Ferguson release. If you aren't doing cardsharing you should use the official version.

• Advertisement

Heres the latest 2.15B8 firmware with a freesat type channel list embedded. This has CH4HD frequency update and also has LNB 2 powered off as this seemed to send 5v out the aerial socket for some unknown reason.

http://www.mediafire.com/?x7p4g8so50y0du8

You must be familiar with the "how to guide" http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ji0kdvqodn3v07i just ignore the part about "unzipping the firmware file"

Hope this helps

nodolan wrote: »
    Hi b318isp - I'm not looking to 'start' something just wondering how you've got the 220 configured.

I'm wondering what firmware you're running on your 220?
    I'm on 2.15B8* 20110927 172231
    I think it might be a custom firmware from the website I gave a link to earlier. Perhaps that has made the difference?

Sorry for delay on getting back. On 2.15B8 Fault traced to the setting for switching between channels. I was set to Black, but setting to Freeze sorted the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

From the Saorview spec:
    RTENL wrote:
    The IRD shall be capable of decoding both EBU Subtitles and DVB Subtitling and display these employing the OSD or EPG functionality within the IRD whilst decoding the full television service (Video and Audio) to which it is associated (as specified in NorDig Unified specification section 7).

So there shouldn't be any problems with the Ferguson as it supports both EBU and DVB subtitles currently??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

Hi Tony, what kind of file is thr below ?

For some reason my PC is seeing it as an MPEG so winrar can not unzip it. What am I doing wrong ?
    Thanks
    Dave

Apogee wrote: »
    From the Saorview spec:

So there shouldn't be any problems with the Ferguson as it supports both EBU and DVB subtitles currently??

No problems. DVB and EBU are the platforms for delivery.

New Channels today
    For people who have this box and don't surf the satellite forum, this will be of interest.
    reaper180 wrote: »
    5* and 5 US channels now free to air now
    freq 10965
    s/r 22000
    polarity h

Go into Satellite installation. And add that under the TP option and scan. After it goes onto the next transponder, press exit and then add it to your favorites. 4 new stations (inclusive of the +1s for each)

daphil wrote: »
    . What am I doing wrong ?

Not reading my post :)
    just ignore the part about "unzipping the firmware file"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

Heres the latest 2.15B8 firmware with a freesat type channel list embedded. This has CH4HD frequency update and also has LNB 2 powered off as this seemed to send 5v out the aerial socket for some unknown reason.

You must be familiar with the "how to guide" http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ji0kdvqodn3v07i just ignore the part about "unzipping the firmware file"

Hope this helps

Tony, I'm curious how you did the Freesat type channel list. Did you just arrange the channels in the sequence they appear on the freesat EPG or were you also able to make the channel numbers correspond to the Freesat EPG numbers?

I did the latter but could only manage it with a cumbersome workaround.

In case anyone is wondering why on earth you would want to use Freesat channel numbers on an FTA box, it can come in handy when extra channels are added. Otherwise you need to either add new channels to the bottom of your channel list, or stick them somewhere in the middle (which changes the channel numbers for channels further down the list).

When I say freesat style I mean the list contains only freesat channels with the most popular at the start, nothing more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Just in case anyone is thinking of getting one of these from Satworld as a present for someone I'd try and avoid it.

Ordered last friday with their next day delivery and only received it today. Also the box was battered to hell, so much so that I'm actually going to have to unpack it and try and use it this evening to make sure it isn't borked.

Or you could have contacted them directly to get the unit replaced...

Perhaps the courier messed it up but I'm sure the guys there will do their utmost to put this right,they are a very reputable company. What did they say when you contacted them ?

Just in case anyone is thinking of getting one of these from Satworld as a present for someone I'd try and avoid it.

Ordered last friday with their next day delivery and only received it today. Also the box was battered to hell, so much so that I'm actually going to have to unpack it and try and use it this evening to make sure it isn't borked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement