Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bargain Alert: New Ferguson HD DTT/Sat Combo Box - €63 before postage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dislanger

Wonder if anyone is aware of a patched version of the new firmware or even if it worth doing the upgrade. Has there been any significant changes made to functionality.
    Tony wrote: »
    dulpit wrote: »
    Do we know what improvements it contains?

AFAIK it has some you tube functionality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Dislanger wrote: »
    Wonder if anyone is aware of a patched version of the new firmware or even if it worth doing the upgrade. Has there been any significant changes made to functionality.

Well seeing as this has only just been released, a patched version will be a while off! And it more than likely won't be worth the upgrade if your current one is stable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Guys here is the 2.17 B3 firmware with built in channel list including the New Ch5's and BBC 3/4 as separate entries . As always read the upgrade guide carefully (ignore the part about unzipping the file) as you may damage the box otherwise . Carry this out at your own risk

Firmware http://www.mediafire.com/?wytvbjo36pfr062

How to guide is http://www.mediafire.com/?ji0kdvqodn3v07i

Hope this helps

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Nice one Tony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

anyone do the upgrade?
    notice any difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Not a bloody thing. I'm wondering if it was worth installing at all:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 alphonsus

Buying one from tony today, is there still a discount available for Boards users?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

alphonsus wrote: »
    Buying one from tony today, is there still a discount available for Boards users?

WOW - 11 ( EDIT 7 :o )years since your first post - that must be a record:eek:

Not sure if tony does a discount but satworld.ie
    http://satworld.ie/product-info.php?Ferguson_Ariva_HD_120_Combo_Combi_Receiver-pid171.html

have a discount, the code is boards.ie or Boards.ie not sure if the caps makes a difference.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    WOW - 11 years since your first post - that must be a record:eek:

7 years...;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

NUTZZ wrote: »
    7 years...;)

:D 11-4=11 :o

:D 11-4=11 :o

Do you work at the Dept of Finance by any chance :)

Sorry for OT

WOW - 11 ( EDIT 7 :o )years since your first post - that must be a record:eek:

Long-time lurker, 2nd time poster!

shblob wrote: »
    Not sure if tony does a discount but satworld.ie
    http://satworld.ie/product-info.php?Ferguson_Ariva_HD_120_Combo_Combi_Receiver-pid171.html

have a discount, the code is boards.ie or Boards.ie not sure if the caps makes a difference.

Thanks, ended up using them, it's all lower case.

Sorry I could not answer you directly but commercial interaction is not allowed on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭martin12

Having problems tuning 11740 to 12460 Symbol Rate 29500 no signal anyone found a solution

Did you try that range in the different satellites?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Hi nolnoc and co any idea what I can do when I am inserting an external hard drive or usb as oftentimes my ability to record/play onto same is tempermental,a message is appearing "device speed too slow to play".I know there are issues re the compatability of certain external hard drives with this box,my 16 GB integral usb is of the usb disk 2.0 usb device,the external hard drive is a 500GB medion drive-n-go,usb 3.0,compatible with usb 2.0.Is a usb 3.0 required/best for this box?Is there anything to can do to improve the box's performance?

No you need a USB 2.0 drive or stick but it must be quite fast, this usually means using not the cheapest drives...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

shblob wrote: »
    No you need a USB 2.0 drive or stick but it must be quite fast, this usually means using not the cheapest drives...

Any recommendations re sticks that are sufficiently quick?

• Advertisement

Something like this should work

http://www.memoryc.com/usbproducts/usbflashdrives/16gblexarjumpdrivev10orange.html

Although a hard drive would be much better, sticks are too small if you record a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

Originally Posted by alphonsus
    Sorry I could not answer you directly but commercial interaction is not allowed on this forum.

Hi Tony, could you PM me regarding same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

hi Tony would appreciate a PM too re discount for boards users.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

I rarely use the EPG feature of this box (which has been doing stellar duty here BTW), but over the last few days have recorded a few things via the EPG. Something I've noticed, perhaps someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

So I go to the EPG, and highlight the programme I want to record, hit the green button and go through the timer setup (mainly just click enter). All works OK and the programme records. However, say there is another programme later on that night, long after the first one finished recording, when I try to select that in the same way through the EPG, I get a message at the timer box saying "Invalid input, do you still want to proceed?"

Can I really only set up one to record via the EPG at a time? Note that the times/channels etc don't overlap etc etc.

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭monkeycork

i can't record on a external hard drive. ariva 120 combo using WD Elements usb 2.0 NTFS file system with external power. plug the USB into my desktop it works perfect. plug it into the usb slot in the ariva, nothing happens. in the REC menu the only option is time setting. :confused:

monkeycork wrote: »
    i can't record on a external hard drive. ariva 120 combo using WD Elements usb 2.0 NTFS file system with external power. plug the USB into my desktop it works perfect. plug it into the usb slot in the ariva, nothing happens. in the REC menu the only option is time setting. :confused:

Hey, you've posted this in 3 threads:confused::confused::confused::D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Hey, you've posted this in 3 threads:confused::confused::confused::D:D:D

answered here, hopefully

STB wrote: »

Not really, STB. He has an externally-powered hdd, but should fomat it to FAT for it to work with the Ariva 120 Combo. I answered him on another thread to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

He has it formatted in NTFS. The Ferguson is fine in NTFS. Infact it is the suggested format.

That WD drive he has has an optional dc input if there isnt enough power from the USB port. My guess is he isnt using anything to power the drive other than the USB port. Either that or isnt waiting long enough for drive to load especially if it is fullish of 500g+.

• Advertisement

Apologies, STB, my bad:o And apologies to OP if I mis-directed him in the other thread. By the way, OP could look at the FAQ re the 120 et al on the Ferguson website. There is a specific question re the WD drives. It may be of some help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

Tony
    Looking for a pm re 120 combo please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Guys here is the 2.17 B3 firmware with built in channel list including the New Ch5's and BBC 3/4 as separate entries . As always read the upgrade guide carefully (ignore the part about unzipping the file) as you may damage the box otherwise . Carry this out at your own risk

Firmware http://www.mediafire.com/?wytvbjo36pfr062

How to guide is http://www.mediafire.com/?ji0kdvqodn3v07i

Hope this helps

Thanks for the channel list Tony, just updated a box I was given for Christmas. Just an interesting observation on my experience - I initially used my Macbook to download the firmware to USB but whatever went on the file was not recognised by the Ariva (and appended with .mp3 - removing this made no difference) - I had to download on a windows PC for the firmware file to work correctly.

I've also noticed the terrestrial receiver is not as sensitive as others - I have a freeviewHD tv that picks up the saorview channels perfectly from an amplified internal antennae but the Ariva cannot get a signal... looks like I'll have to go up on the roof!

Thanks again.

z.

Thanks for the feedback. If you download the .abs file straight to the key without opening or doing anything else to the file this should not happen

zinzan wrote: »
    Thanks for the channel list Tony, just updated a box I was given for Christmas. Just an interesting observation on my experience - I initially used my Macbook to download the firmware to USB but whatever went on the file was not recognised by the Ariva (and appended with .mp3 - removing this made no difference) - I had to download on a windows PC for the firmware file to work correctly.

Thanks again.

z.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Ok is it just me or does the box fail to wake up from standby to record scheduled programs?

The naming of scheduled programs is also an issue. It seems to either name the recording as the channel name or the name of the programme it started recording on (so normally I would begin recording 5 minutes before start, so the name of the recording would be the previous programme).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

My box has never failed to come out of standby to record a program.

The names are pretty ****ed, yeah. There's a lot about that in the thread. I believe that it can also come up with the name of the program on the channel you were last watching rather than the one that you were trying to record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

im trying to set a friends box up have every thing in place dish mounted etc meter in line by the lnb when i power up the stb the meter makes noise as normal but when the stb is booted up the meter fall s silent so i cant find my satellite also the stb shows 35% strength and 10% quality whitout being locked on to satellite any help would be great thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

It there any way I can save my channel list so I wont lose them after the firmware upgrade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

Does the Ferguson Ariva HD 120 box have the Channel 5 +1 and Five USA channels?
    Can anyone recommend hard drives to record with?
    Trying to get this switch to digital sorted, finding it very confusing.
    I currently have a Sky subscription but I want to keep that separate if possible.

IsMiseJoe wrote: »
    Does the Ferguson Ariva HD 120 box have the Channel 5 +1 and Five USA channels?
    Can anyone recommend hard drives to record with?

Yes you can receive Channel 5 +1 and the FIVE USA (5* etc.) channels on it as they are FTA channels. Mains powered USB external hard drives are recommended with the Ariva 120

K3v wrote: »
    It there any way I can save my channel list so I wont lose them after the firmware upgrade?

Yes you can.

(1) Insert USB stick or hard drive
    (2) Go to Menu-> Tools-> Upgrade By USB
    (3) As upgrade mode choose: dump
    (4) Press 'Start'
    (5) You will then have a file called "Dumpfile.abs" on the memory stick that contains your channel list.

• Advertisement

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Yes you can receive Channel 5 +1 and the FIVE USA (5* etc.) channels on it as they are FTA channels. Mains powered USB external hard drives are recommended with the Ariva 120

Cheers,
    How will I know if this box is compatible with my aerial?
    And can my Sky dish be used for the freesat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭b318isp

If you can pick up TV3/TG4 now, then you will almost certainly be able to pick up the DTT channels. A sky dish will pick up the Free-To-Air stations.

b318isp wrote: »
    If you can pick up TV3/TG4 now, then you will almost certainly be able to pick up the DTT channels. A sky dish will pick up the Free-To-Air stations.

I've no problem with TV3 & TG4 with my current aerial. I also pick up the English channels through the aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Razr3D

Probably either of these two

It was dish alignment issue, I didn't fine tune the dish on installation! probably due to giddiness! (joyfully elated type):)

Tony

1) Is it true that you are giving a 10% discount to Boards.ie members for the Ferguson HD 120 combo ? if so how do i avail of this. ?
    2)Will the box be able to play AVI's now or on future firmware upgrades ?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Tony

1) Is it true that you are giving a 10% discount to Boards.ie members for the Ferguson HD 120 combo ? if so how do i avail of this. ?
    2)Will the box be able to play AVI's now or on future firmware upgrades ?

Thanks

It does play AVI files, and MKV, MPEG, VOB, TS, TRP, MP4 as well as DVR.

Check the manual ..... Page 32 of 45

Tony
    Is it true that you are giving a 10% discount to Boards.ie members

As I've said repeatedly I cannot answer such questions as commercial interaction is not allowed here on this forum. I was allowed post up some information earlier in the thread with permission from a moderator but this was many months ago.

Edit: This includes PM's.

As I've said repeatedly I cannot answer such questions as commercial interaction is not allowed here on this forum. I was allowed post up some information earlier in the thread with permission from a moderator but this was many months ago.

Hi Tony,
    Could you PM me or send me a link to that post ?
    THanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

It does play AVI files, and MKV, MPEG, VOB, TS, TRP, MP4 as well as DVR.

Check the manual ..... Page 32 of 45

It only plays HD Avi files it DOES NOT play the more commonly used SD avi / divx codec used to encode the vast majority of downloadable movies found through pirate / torrent sites etc

It would seem to be a simple enhancement through a firmware upgrade which would make quite an attractive reciever into an extremely attractive one

Cannot understand why Ferguson don't add this ability through firmware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

dmm1000 wrote: »
    It only plays HD Avi files it DOES NOT play the more commonly used SD avi / divx codec used to encode the vast majority of downloadable movies found through pirate / torrent sites etc

It would seem to be a simple enhancement through a firmware upgrade which would make quite an attractive reciever into an extremely attractive one

Cannot understand why Ferguson don't add this ability through firmware

I agree, a firmware update to support more codecs would make the box much more versatile. None of my AVI wrapped films work on the Ferguson.

• Advertisement
Advertisement