Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bargain Alert: New Ferguson HD DTT/Sat Combo Box - €63 before postage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭installer

Has anyone noticed high amounts of freezing on this receiver when using cccam? I tried one just for the hell of it in a second room connected to my lan but I seem to get a lot of drop outs, also lip syn is terrible on some channels discovery hd for 1, now admittedly I am only using a scart lead and not a hdmi lead so this could be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tcjimmy

Is it possible to record to dvd recorder via scart lead with Ariva 120 hd or indeed any of the FTA boxes ? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

tcjimmy wrote: »
    Is it possible to record to dvd recorder via scart lead with Ariva 120 hd or indeed any of the FTA boxes ? Thanks

Yes a scart socket will output to a video,tv or dvd recorder

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tcjimmy

Thanks Tony. Will order one now so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

dmm1000 wrote: »
    It only plays HD Avi files it DOES NOT play the more commonly used SD avi / divx codec used to encode the vast majority of downloadable movies found through pirate / torrent sites etc

It would seem to be a simple enhancement through a firmware upgrade which would make quite an attractive reciever into an extremely attractive one

Cannot understand why Ferguson don't add this ability through firmware

It does play the various container Files I posted, including MKV, MPEG, MPG, VOB etc.

It supports

Video Containers: AVI, MKV, MPEG, MPG, VOB, TS, TRP, MP4, DVR

and in those containers, the following

Video Codecs: mpeg2, H.264
    Audio Codecs: MP3, AAC, AC3

Yes it would be nice if it supported more codecs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

Yes it would be nice if it supported more codecs.

DLNA support would be nice too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Can I have the discount code via pm too please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

dubber wrote: »
    DLNA support would be nice too :)

It would indeed ;)

Has anyone succeeded in getting it to pick up streams from the LAN ...... in a similar way it locks onto Internet Radio?

I recall trying when I got the device initially, and got some results but not fully working, but now am not allowed sufficient access to play with it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

b318isp wrote: »
    If you can pick up TV3/TG4 now, then you will almost certainly be able to pick up the DTT channels. A sky dish will pick up the Free-To-Air stations.

Will I be able to use my Sky dish for both? (Sky subscription and a freeview box) I want to be able to keep Sky in one room and have the freeview in another.

• Advertisement

IsMiseJoe wrote: »
    Will I be able to use my Sky dish for both? (Sky subscription and a freeview box) I want to be able to keep Sky in one room and have the freeview in another.

If I'm not mistaken you mean freesat as freeview is a Uk terrestrial service . You can feed two (or more) satellite boxes from your sky dish if you have the correct LNB (the thing on the end of the dish that the cable connects to)

Sorry for the off topic reply as this is a general question and not strictly related to the ferguson box.
    If you have any further questions not related to the ferguson perhaps you could start another thread.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

Tony wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken you mean freesat as freeview is a Uk terrestrial service . You can feed two (or more) satellite boxes from your sky dish if you have the correct LNB (the thing on the end of the dish that the cable connects to)

Sorry for the off topic reply as this is a general question and not strictly related to the ferguson box.
    If you have any further questions not related to the ferguson perhaps you could start another thread.:)

Sorry, I do mean the Ferguson box.
    I'm just wondering if I'll be able to run my sky box & the ferguson box of the same dish?

I'm just wondering if I'll be able to run my sky box & the ferguson box of the same dish?

Yes you can

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Tony wrote: »

Yes but you'll need a dual or quad output LNB on your Dish and a separate cable run from here to this box and your Sky box

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Hi all,

This post seems to describe Tony's discount code for boardsies. Hope this is OK with the mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

STB wrote: »
    It doesnt have MHEG5 for text/interactive features nor is it certified by Saorview.

Will it work.... Yes, I dont see why not.

Is not having MHEG5 a major disadvantage? By not having it you won't be able to receive RTE's replacement/ upgrade for teletext?

I seem to be missing something here because this box is proving hugely popular......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Because there is no 'decent' alternative. And the Ariva is cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

just do it wrote: »
    Is not having MHEG5 a major disadvantage? By not having it you won't be able to receive RTE's replacement/ upgrade for teletext?

I seem to be missing something here because this box is proving hugely popular......

MHEG5 will and is being used for text. EBU (traditional Aertel) text is also currently being broadcast.

RTENL havent as yet confirmed that they will be switching off EBU text. It is likely In my opinion.

So potential disadvantages would be no text come 2012/13.

It picks up EBU text fine at present. It wont do MHEG5.

EBU Text
    0000e9a4-314.jpg

MHEG5 Text
    4840603005_3381da6170.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JRH

and cause lots of us haven't used teletext since the eighties , and don't intend to start . :rolleyes:

shblob wrote: »
    Because there is no 'decent' alternative. And the Ariva is cheap.

That answers that. I was reckoning due to its popularity there wasn't a similar product with it.

MHEG5 will and is being used for text. EBU (traditional Aertel) text is also currently being broadcast.

RTENL havent as yet confirmed that they will be switching off EBU text. It is likely In my opinion.

So potential disadvantages would be no text come 2012/13.

It picks up EBU text fine at present. It wont do MHEG5.

Yeah I was thinking just as much. I still use teletext quite a bit and with the improved version probably will continue to.

As a TV upgrade is on the agenda for me in a few year's time, could that provide the solution - a saorview approved TV? i.e. get this and when my current SD TV gives up the new TV will make up for the absence of MHEG5 on the ferguson box?

• Advertisement

JRH wrote: »
    and cause lots of us haven't used teletext since the eighties , and don't intend to start . :rolleyes:

Jeez I think it's very handy - what do you use as an alternative? Da d'internet?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JRH

just do it wrote: »
    Jeez I think it's very handy - what do you use as an alternative? Da d'internet?;)

yes ! this new flanged internet gets me by ... im not into the GAA or whatever folk use it for ... and i can type met Eireann quicker than what ever code used to bring that up back then .:)

I've go to agree, I NEVER use teletext and it really is a thing of the past, although I can understand why it is popular for older users.

I've go to agree, I NEVER use teletext and it really is a thing of the past, although I can understand why it is popular for older users.

....but I'm young, I don't turn 40 till next year:D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭liamtech

Speaking as someone
    • who doesn't own a combi-Box at present but has used several
    • Has experienced the NIGHTMARE of the only MHEG5 Combi (Triax st-hd537) on the market
    • Has used several Fairly Decent combi's (Triax st-hd527, Edison) in mates houses
    • Has also used the Ariva 120 for a week on loan from a friend who bought it when it first came out

I would say im MASSIVELY IMPRESSED the ARIVA 120
    1. Its cheap
    2. Its relatively user friendly
    3. It has decent functionality
    4. What issues existed in the beginning with Sync problems were resolved in a Very short period - Highly professional

However the lack of MHEG5 is still a drawback folks - While i acknowledge that many users of this box have no interest in MHEG5 Aertel Teletext in its current form - that may change!

Its likely that as Saorview evolves more interesting and useful MHEG5 features will be added... these may include:
    • MHEG5 EPG which may include Series link functions
    • Interactive streams similar to BBC interactive sports streams on freesat

Its easy to speculate that the streams will be Manually tunable on the ARIVA 120 but that is genuinely not certain -

BUT! An MHEG5 EPG will obviously not work AT ALL on this and all other non MHEG equipment.

I used to give out about MHEG5 myself, i saw it as limiting in that it potentially disqualified many decent STB's from being used with 100% compatibility. But the way we must look at it (in my humble opionion) is as follows: Saorview can do what they like to the current signal, as long as they maintain compatibility with SAORVIEW CERTIFIED EQUIPMENT -

They can and probably will stop the classic Teletext. the streams may only be accessible in an MHEG5 Portal etc - EPG data may be limited without MHEG5 compatibility - Do we know that standard EPG Data will continue to be broadcast if an MHEG5 EPG starts - a MHEG-EPG was tested about two years ago - didnt look amazing but theoretically it could return

Bottom line is the Ariva 120 is a Superb box - Price is right. Functionality at present is Excellent and if you accept the drawbacks of no MHEG5 features then you cant go wrong - But anyone who reckons there will be an MHEG FIX for this box will.. in my opinion.. be left waiting - HIGHLY UNLIKELY! Naturally il be TRUELY DELIGHTED to be proven wrong in this case!:D

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

hearny wrote: »
    Can I have the discount code via pm too please.

id also like a discount voucher if possible, thanks.

Not sure what tonys vouch is I tried boardscombo but it doesnt work

www.satworld.ie have one its Boards.ie

5% off

Not sure what tonys vouch is I tried boardscombo but it doesnt work

Have you got cookies enabled, I just tested it there and it works fine

Just tried it again there and now it worked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Hi Tony,
    Could you PM me or send me a link to that post ?
    THanks

If you go to tonys website there is a telephone number and a link to contact him. Please use this so as to not break any rules on Boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

discount code not working for me either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

My current sky box acts as an rf modulator so I can watch that channel on other TVs around the house, does this box do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,

My STB is not responding to the remote control - anyone got any ideas.

BTW the batteries are charged.

Thanks

Iba

Only suggestion I have is if you use a camera or phone set to video mode and record the bulb at the top of the remote as you press buttons on it.

If the remote is sending the signal you will see the sensor light up on the camera

Hearny,

Thanks 4 ur reply.

The blue light on the top of the remote blinks when I press a button on the remote, so it is sending a signal and is powered up.

Im wondering if Ive pressed some button combination somewhere/somehow that has that has disabled functionality - Im totally baffled :(

Regards

Iba

Are the buttons on the front of the unit responsive.

Are the buttons on the front of the unit responsive.

Yes

What I would do is

1) Look for someone with a remote to test, or see if you can find a univeral remote that will work with it.
    2) Restore to factory settings or reflash the box (have you updated the firmware before).

I actually never used one of these boxes but I am expecting delivery of one tomorrow so I can play around with it then to see if I can find settings for the remote.

What I would do is

1) Look for someone with a remote to test, or see if you can find a univeral remote that will work with it.
    2) Restore to factory settings or reflash the box (have you updated the firmware before).

I actually never used one of these boxes but I am expecting delivery of one tomorrow so I can play around with it then to see if I can find settings for the remote.

Thanks 4 ur help Hearny,

Yeah my bro has one too so might try his remote.

Actually just updated to the latest Firmware now 2 c if that would help, but didnt fix the problem.

Yes, back 2 Factory Settings sounds like a good idea - will give that a go.

Thanks

Iba

• Advertisement

Update:

Returning to factory setting didnt fix the problem.

Will try bros remote as soon as I can.

iba wrote: »
    Update:

Returning to factory setting didnt fix the problem.

Will try bros remote as soon as I can.
    Its extremely likely to be the IR sensor in the faceplate. 95% sure.

Its extremely likely to be the IR sensor in the faceplate. 95% sure.

Thanks Shlob,

Excuse my ignorance, but do u mean the faceplate on the STB?

If so, how can I fix it? Is it fixable?

Thanks

Iba

Yes, on the STB, as far as Im aware you need a new one installed.

Thanks Shlob

I'm lost here. Are we talking about a Triax here ? They are meant to have the requisite hardware installed when you buy them.

If the remote has become unresponsive then it is defective. I had one of these boxes and gave it back after 2 weeks. There are without doubt hardware and software issues with this box. This thread should tell anyone that.

Give it back and demand your money back. Do not take a replacement box. There are too many other combos that do actually work, out of the box.

• Advertisement

I'm lost here. Are we talking about a Triax here ? They are meant to have the requisite hardware installed when you buy them.

If the remote has become unresponsive then it is defective. I had one of these boxes and gave it back after 2 weeks. There are without doubt hardware and software issues with this box. This thread should tell anyone that.

Give it back and demand your money back. Do not take a replacement box. There are too many other combos that do actually work, out of the box.

STB,

No we r not talking about any Triax thing here.

We r talking about the remote control o the Ariva 120 and the Ariva 120 itself.

Ive had the box 4 a while and everything has worked grand; just today, all of a sudden and 4 no reason at all, the STB has become unresponsive to signals/commands from the remote. And Ive been trying to figure out has the STB malfunctioned or is it a problem with the remote.

Previous posters have suggested that it may b the IR on the STB but I cannot determine 100% at this stage if this is the actual problem.

My brother has the same STB so I will try my control with his STB and his control with mine. When I do this, then I will know 4 sure where the problem is, i.e. is it with the STB or with the remote.

Regards

Iba

Its the Ariva 120 thread so presumed it was about the ariva? :confused:

iba wrote: »
    STB,

No we r not talking about any Triax thing here.

We r talking about the remote control o the Ariva 120 and the Ariva 120 itself.

Ive had the box 4 a while and everything has worked grand; just today, all of a sudden and 4 no reason at all, the STB has become unresponsive to signals/commands from the remote. And Ive been trying to figure out has the STB malfunctioned or is it a problem with the remote.

Previous posters have suggested that it may b the IR on the STB but I cannot determine 100% at this stage if this is the actual problem.

My brother has the same STB so I will try my control with his STB and his control with mine. When I do this, then I will know 4 sure where the problem is, i.e. is it with the STB or with the remote.

Regards

Iba

I really will have to check which thread I am in the next time ! (I was sure I was in the Triax problems thread! :o)

I am with ya (now).

For what it is worth, I have seen the Ferguson Box have moments of unresponsiveness from the remote, only to catch up minutes, later! Software I would guess. The box itself also has very strange problems with Channel 4 HD and lockup, whilst it has no problems with any other HD Channel. I would have thought that this was an overheating issue but for the other HD channels working.

Are you using legit software ? The Unofficial patched software for CCCAM is causing problems, so dont install it.

I am presuming you have switched it off at the back and turned it back on again. Then tried using the remote directly up in front on the box.

I really will have to check which thread I am in the next time ! (I was sure I was in the Triax problems thread! :o)

I am with ya (now).

For what it is worth, I have seen the Ferguson Box have moments of unresponsiveness from the remote, only to catch up minutes, later! Software I would guess. The box itself also has very strange problems with Channel 4 HD and lockup, whilst it has no problems with any other HD Channel. I would have thought that this was an overheating issue but for the other HD channels working.

Are you using legit software ? The Unofficial patched software for CCCAM is causing problems, so dont install it.

ming you have switched it off at the back and turned it back on again. Then tried using the remote directly up in front on the box.

STB

Yes all is legit - hadnt even updated firmware until after the problem arose.

Yes turned on and off and used the remote right next to it.

Regards

Iba

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭applewoodgo

Just notice that Ferguson have added a firmware upgrade for the Ariva Editor on September 1st. http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/download/HD-Satellite-Receivers/ariva-120-combo/.

I know there were was issues with saving favourite titles and transferring them to the STB. Another issue was being unable to drag and drop files.

The description for this is in Polish and Google is unable to translate. It seems to suggest that RS232 is involved in the upgrade. I don't have a cable and as such can't upgrade myself.

Has anyone been able to upgrade and if so, what changes have taken place with the application???

I can't understand for the life of me, why Ferguson refuse to advise what their firmware is intended to do, and am perplexed why Dealerships here in this Country can't get this information either. This box is selling very well here and we deserve respect for our faith and support for this product by way of tech support answers to our many emails about firmware info and many other issues mentioned in this very long thread:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement