Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bargain Alert: New Ferguson HD DTT/Sat Combo Box - €63 before postage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

That upgrade executable that mentions RS232 will allow you to put firmware on the box over a serial cable. You won't need it unless you've bricked your box.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭applewoodgo

Zab wrote: »
    That upgrade executable that mentions RS232 will allow you to put firmware on the box over a serial cable. You won't need it unless you've bricked your box.

I do know what RS232 enables you to do.

The question I asked was:-

Had anyone upgraded and did it address issues with saving favoutites and dragging and dropping files. This is an Ariva Editor Upgrade, isn't it???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I do know what RS232 enables you to do.

I'm wondering why you mentioned it then ?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    I'm wondering why you mentioned it then ?

For heavens sake Tony, why would you, above all people make a statement like that. This is just a waste of space and has nothing to do with my question. I would have preffered if you addressed the reasons why Fergusons refuse to answer email tech support and maybe offered to
    look into this matter. That answer would have been helpful instead of playing silly buggers with a reply like that.

I happened to discover that there was an upgrade for the Ariva Editor. Bearing in mind that others had issues with this software, I though it helpful to advise those members that this was available and because I couldn't upgrade this myself, and wasn't able to see for myself, what changes, if any, this upgrade achieved, I asked what I thought, was a reasonable question............Did anyone upgrade and did it fix any of the issues I mentioned.

I made, what I thought, was a courteous posting and the least I expected was a courteous reply.

Calm down apple. There are two things you've pointed out on the Ferguson site. One is called ArivaUpdate and it's an application that allows you to put firmware on the Ariva over a serial cable. It's doesn't contain updated firmware itself, it's just a means to put it on the Ariva and you've always been able to use the tools branded for other boxes to do this anyway. If you put the new firmware on via USB key the end result is the same. Note the contents of this zip all date from 2009.

The other thing is the "updated" ArivaEditor. The two have nothing to do with each other. This is version 2.2.0 of the editor, which has been knocking around since the summer at the latest. All they've done is renamed the zip file and put it on the Ariva 120 page. Previously you had to get it from a page for a different device.

Think you need to re consider what a courteous posting is Apple , that last one was anything but nor was the one before it . Chill out and you may find you get more help here, the constant ranting does you no favours .

Calm down apple. There are two things you've pointed out on the Ferguson site. One is called ArivaUpdate and it's an application that allows you to put firmware on the Ariva over a serial cable. It's doesn't contain updated firmware itself, it's just a means to put it on the Ariva and you've always been able to use the tools branded for other boxes to do this anyway. If you put the new firmware on via USB key the end result is the same. Note the contents of this zip all date from 2009.

The other thing is the "updated" ArivaEditor. The two have nothing to do with each other. This is version 2.2.0 of the editor, which has been knocking around since the summer at the latest. All they've done is renamed the zip file and put it on the Ariva 120 page. Previously you had to get it from a page for a different device.

Received and understood. Question answered, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Can anybody explain how I can save my channels list on a usb and reinstall same in case I need to with a firmware update?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

is there any advantage getting the ariva 210 or 220 over the 120?

is there any advantage getting the ariva 210 or 220 over the 120?

Not in our market in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭firemansam1

I'm putting 2 of these receivers in a house.

After I program the first one, is there any easy way to transfer to the second one without having to go through the whole thing again.

Thanks

Yes, using a USB key. Create a dumpfile in the upgrade menu which you load on to the key, you can then use this to "Upgrade" the 2nd receiver . Details in the manual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

I've now been using this box happily for more than a week (thanks, Tony). The satellite channels were already tuned in and I had no difficulty getting the terrestrial ones myself. I have my Favourite channels organised now to suit me and even though I don't have a HD TV (yet!) the reception is great.

I use an old 250Gb Freecom Mobile Drive for the PVR function. It's not mains powered (as recommended) because I couldn't find one that fit the criteria (never mind my budget!) but it seems to work fine.

Now for my question: I have it set up to record via Timer for a programme that's transmitted on weekdays only. My only choice on the Timer function seems to be to record Daily, is that correct?

This means I have not only 2 extra unwanted programmes at the weekend, but I can't use the box while it's recording these - unless I cancel the Timer (and remember to reset it for Monday, which is worse :o Is there any chance this would/could be flagged up for an update in the future? My old DVD recorder had a Weekday function and it was very handy.

All in all, I'm plesed that I bought this. I'm not well versed in some of the technological terms used here (transponders, null modem cables etc :eek:) but I took the time to read up before and after purchase so that I at least know the basics. I THINK I know how to update the software and channels when the need arises, but I'll be back if I can't!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭khumbu

mw3guc wrote: »
    My only choice on the Timer function seems to be to record Daily, is that correct?

This means I have not only 2 extra unwanted programmes at the weekend, but I can't use the box while it's recording these - unless I cancel the Timer (and remember to reset it for Monday, which is worse :o Is there any chance this would/could be flagged up for an update in the future? My old DVD recorder had a Weekday function and it was very handy.

possible workaround:- setup 5 individual (one for each day) weekly recordings.

khumbu wrote: »
    possible workaround:- setup 5 individual (one for each day) weekly recordings.

Wow, that's a great idea! I'll try it out and report back - thanks :) Kudos for thinking outside of the 'box'!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Shannon_Gaels

Yes, using a USB key. Create a dumpfile in the upgrade menu which you load on to the key, you can then use this to "Upgrade" the 2nd receiver . Details in the manual

Hi Tony
    Aquick question for ya
    I got one of these boxes for a friend who is well pleased with it , but has one item that is nagging him

If he sets a timer to record a programme at 7.30 to 8.00 on one channel and then another programme from 8 to 8.30 pm for example.

He states that after the first programmed ends the box states that it will now shut down yes or no , but if he selects either the box shuts down.

is there a setting he is missing here, as i rarely record .

can someone advise please

thanks a mill
    paul

thanks
    Paul

Sorry i've not come across that particular onscreen message

Hi Tony
    Aquick question for ya

paul

thanks
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭khumbu

If he sets a timer to record a programme at 7.30 to 8.00 on one channel and then another programme from 8 to 8.30 pm for example.

He states that after the first programmed ends the box states that it will now shut down yes or no , but if he selects either the box shuts down.

I've also seen this issue.
    Modify the timer to record 29mins of first programme or start the second recording at 8:01.

khumbu wrote: »
    I've also seen this issue.
    Modify the timer to record 29mins of first programme or start the second recording at 8:01.

Thanks Khumbu and Tony

I gave him this advise but he tried this and it still happens but not all the time, he says the box shuts down after the first recording , is there any way to prevent this ?

thanks again

• Advertisement

Thanks Khumbu and Tony

I gave him this advise but he tried this and it still happens but not all the time, he says the box shuts down after the first recording , is there any way to prevent this ?

thanks again

There's a setting I noticed under PVR > DVR with a choice for the Timer to stay on or off after recording - perhaps this would work? The default was set to turn off on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭pat1981

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Yes you can.

(1) Insert USB stick or hard drive
    (2) Go to Menu-> Tools-> Upgrade By USB
    (3) As upgrade mode choose: dump
    (4) Press 'Start'
    (5) You will then have a file called "Dumpfile.abs" on the memory stick that contains your channel list.

Followed your instructions perfect and now have channel list on usb key. I want to insert this on my other box where I have just done the new firmware update but not sure how to do, any advice on this please, looked on the manual online but didn't seem to find instructions on this,
    thanks.

pat1981 wrote: »
    Followed your instructions perfect and now have channel list on usb key. I want to insert this on my other box where I have just done the new firmware update but not sure how to do, any advice on this please, looked on the manual online but didn't seem to find instructions on this,
    thanks.

Take a look at the attached .pdf

Take a look at the attached .pdf
    Tony, i came home from work today and the FERGUSON 120 has ASH shown on the screen. I did not see anything about this message on the display. DO you know how i can fix this ?

DO you know how i can fix this ?

If its showing ASH its a firmware or eeprom failure, it may respond to a re load via null modem cable or failing that may have to be returned to your supplier.

If its showing ASH its a firmware or eeprom failure, it may respond to a re load via null modem cable or failing that may have to be returned to your supplier.

Hi Tony

Another question for ya

Have you heard of any of these boxes failing for power surges.

I have given two boxes to one guy and he has blown both

Will ferguson cover these under warranty ?

thanks
    Paul

• Advertisement

Yeah had one recently where the ESB was off and came back on, blew the poor guys ferguson,laptop and desktop computer . Afraid I can't speak for ferguson on the warranty issue but I'm guessing they would not accept responsibility for something out of their control. Maybe household insurance might be the way to go if you're certain its a power surge that caused this. Was anything else damaged ?

Hi Tony

Another question for ya

Have you heard of any of these boxes failing for power surges.

I have given two boxes to one guy and he has blown both

Will ferguson cover these under warranty ?

thanks
    Paul

Yeah had one recently where the ESB was off and came back on, blew the poor guys ferguson,laptop and desktop computer . Afraid I can't speak for ferguson on the warranty issue but I'm guessing they would not accept responsibility for something out of their control. Maybe household insurance might be the way to go if you're certain its a power surge that caused this. Was anything else damaged ?

No nothing else, but he is living in a convereted out house ( cowbarn) with questionabale wiring.
    The first box just went completly blank no power or nothing
    the second one came up with ASH this morning and now has now gone blank as well. no power light or anything.
    Could a relaod using null cable recover this maybe?

thanks
    Paul

A reload might work but honestly this does not show the symptoms of a power surge.

The first box just went completly blank no power or nothing
    the second one came up with ASH this morning and now has now gone blank as well. no power light or anything.
    Could a relaod using null cable recover this maybe?

thanks
    Paul

A reload might work but honestly this does not show the symptoms of a power surge.

Thanks Tony , I'll send it back

Tony do you have details on how to execute this reload ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Hi Tony,

Looks like you are the man to talk to.

Is there anybody you recommend for to do the installation in County Galway ?

New House, so I would be buying the whole kit of them too ...as long as they were not robbing me with excessive Margin on the hardware .. (otherwise I'd buy the kit myself and just pay the guy to do the monkey business up on the Chimney)

Bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭littlevillage

In fact think I might give the installation of this a bash myself.

Has anyone recently purchased the whole shebang (Dish, Sat Finder, Ferguson Box) from any of the Polish Websites. Which One ? everything go ok with delivery ?

Which Dish did you pick and why ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

shblob wrote: »

Thats an excellent DIY video on the http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Ferguson_Ariva_Diy_Kit.html site.

Hi littlevillage,
    I would also recommend using an Irish supplier as shblob mentioned above. If you run into any trouble (Tony from satellite.ie is great for after sales advice and help) and if any of the equipment turns out to be faulty, you can easily send it back.

Some helpful sites:

http://www.dishpointer.com/

http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/coverage-checker/coverage-map/

And if you do need an Installer:

http://www.isaa.tv/isaamap.htm

Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 viz139

Hi Tony
    Have you a current special price for Board members and when are units back in stock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

viz139 wrote: »
    Hi Tony
    Have you a current special price for Board members and when are units back in stock?

You'll have to ask him on his website I'm afraid, he can't answer that type of question on Boards.

NUTZZ wrote: »
    You'll have to ask him on his website I'm afraid, he can't answer that type of question on Boards.

Thanks Nutzz :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭RobMozza

Hi guys, recently I've been getting "USB device too slow to record correctly" (or words to that effect) flashing up for half a second or so.

Never had this before and assume it could be because I was putting more and more data onto the hard drive and maybe it was fragmentated. Hooked it up to the laptop, fully defragged it and I'm still getting the message.

Actually it ruins a recording as generally the first time you see that message pop up the recording actually ends at that point even though the box is still in record mode (either until the timer stops it or you manually press to stop recording)

So this leads me onto the question is there external hard drives expressly recommended for the Ariva?

The hard drive I'm currently using is a (self powered) Seagate 500GB 9SF2A2-500 external USB hard drive.

I think I remember reading somewhere on this thread about suitable hard drives, but cannot for the life of me find it again! Thanks in advance

Ferguson recommend western digital but if your drive was ok to start with it should be possible to get it back working as it was .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yea, Tony is correct. Got that message after a while with both a 16gb & 32gb usb keys. Stuck on an indepentently powerd HDD and no message in last 2 months.

• Advertisement

Hi Folks

Does anyone know the Pinot for null modem for ferguson box,??

i seem to be getting lots of different pinots when i google it

thanks
    Paul

I used a standard null modem cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭gnolan

Hi,

There's over 2500 posts in this thread so you'll have to forgive the vague question. What is the general consensus with this box? Advantages and disadvantages and that kind of thing.

My dad is looking for a new satellite box and saorview box. This combination seems ideal. Are the satellite and aerial channels separate or are they amalgamated into the one EPG?

I've also noticed it's out of stock on satellite.ie. Any idea when it's back?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭RobMozza

Ferguson recommend western digital but if your drive was ok to start with it should be possible to get it back working as it was .

Any ideas how Tony? I did think that maybe after the defrag then it would of been OK but that wasnt the case.

So I'm looking to buy a new external hard drive, but obviously want to get the right one. What external hard drive are you running on yours please Tony/other users?

gnolan wrote: »
    Hi,

There's over 2500 posts in this thread so you'll have to forgive the vague question. What is the general consensus with this box? Advantages and disadvantages and that kind of thing.

My dad is looking for a new satellite box and saorview box. This combination seems ideal. Are the satellite and aerial channels separate or are they amalgamated into the one EPG?

I've also noticed it's out of stock on satellite.ie. Any idea when it's back?

Thanks

(IMO) Pro's ;

* One box does all, Soarview and Freesat, one remote control
    * USB output for recording programs, recorded programs also viewable from PC
    * Pause live TV, rewind and fastforward (providing timeshifting is enabled)

Con's ;

* EPG is good for Soarview but only whats on now and next, for Freesat (this is usual though I believe for Freesat so not really a con?)
    * Sometimes lip sync goes out of sync on Soarview channels
    * You have to choose between RTE+1 or RTE Junior, you cannot have both (but you can retune to swap between the two channels)
    * Experimentation required to find the right self powered external hard drive
    * Teletext protocol isn't the correct Soarview variety, with possible future compatibility issues? (again not really a con as such)

The satellite and aerial channels are not separated, they are amalgamated into the one EPG. Also you can move them to where-ever you want them.

Hope this helps?

I used a standard null modem cable
    Hi Zab

Any idea what the pinout is ?

thanks
    Paul

Are you looking for the pinout on the serial port or a wiring diagram? Either way, anything I'd give you would just be googled.

Are you looking for the pinout on the serial port or a wiring diagram? Either way, anything I'd give you would just be googled.
    Thanks for the reply

I got a cable made up by a friend ,

Now i tried to flash a box that was dead and it could not connect

I know the cable is good cos i could tramsfer no problem between two good boxes.

Does anyone know if the flashing via PC is any different to doing it from Box to Box.?

Hi Tony
    A quick question, is flashing from PC any different than flashing from Box to Box?

thanks
    Paul

Its the same Paul, did the box transfer over but then say it could not burn flash ?

Hi Tony
    A quick question, is flashing from PC any different than flashing from Box to Box?

thanks
    Paul

• Advertisement

Its the same Paul, did the box transfer over but then say it could not burn flash ?

Hi Tony

On the bad box it could not connect, i know it has power (even though no light) cos it does get warm .

This is actually the 3rd Box from the same batch with the exact same problem.

I'll just post them back to Satsklep , I must have got a dodgy batch

Advertisement