Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bargain Alert: New Ferguson HD DTT/Sat Combo Box - €63 before postage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

lensman wrote: »
    I did open a channel list I created using the remote on the ariva ahile back,..It opened fine with SetEditHD100 & I moved channels around & did some FAV menus, I did'nt get around to uploading to the ariva 120 as yet.
    Yes ,that method works fine .
    Editing a channel list created on the box is fine ,works well.
    Its trying to import a channel list from my one of my Dreamboxes that is not working properly.

From elsewhere
    1-download Setedit 100HD & install
    2-download the dreambox Setedit (not registered) plugin from setedit de & install
    5-download hannibal or other settings for dreambox
    6-open an SW abs file for Ferguson 120
    7-on menu, new file, choose dream & a new window appear
    8-open the dreambox settings, choose your channels-favorite
    9-paste into abs file settings, when finish, save & send the new SW abs file with USB
    The Dreambox settings look correct when imported,the frequencies,Pids are all correct but most of them just say "no signal".
    I've spent hours tinkering around with it but it doesnt seem to work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭firemansam1

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how exactly to take the channel list from one of these receivers, onto memory stick and transfer to another.

Which menus do I go into and what is the sequence to get this right.

I have my channel list created on the first box.

Also, what size memory stick am I likely to need. will 2GB suffice.

Thanks

If there's a link to guide me through this, that'll be fine.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭reaper180

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how exactly to take the channel list from one of these receivers, onto memory stick and transfer to another.

Which menus do I go into and what is the sequence to get this right.

I have my channel list created on the first box.

Also, what size memory stick am I likely to need. will 2GB suffice.

Thanks

If there's a link to guide me through this, that'll be fine.

Thanks
    plug in USB Stick and go to "Tools" - "Upgrade by USB" scroll over to "Dump File" and Dump your list to USB. This can be used to reload your list to the other reciever when you put the usb into that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭rjmf

Whats the best combo the Ferguson 120 or 200 or is it much the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

rjmf wrote: »
    Whats the best combo the Ferguson 120 or 200 or is it much the same?

In our market theres no advantage in the more expensive box.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

The 120 is a poorly built box and a lot of them get the ash and a lot of them just stop working after a month, I'd recommend getting the amiko combo far better box
    http://satworld.ie/product-info.php?Amiko_8820_CI-CX__FULL_HD__-_Combo_Receiver-pid402.html

@Tony: What youre saying is the same as there is no point getting a better car that the hyundai atos because the speed limit is only 120km/h

Firstly (and not for the first time I mention this to you) this thread is about the ferguson 120, if you want to push the merits of another box then start another thread.

Secondly I'd b happy to answer your question if you come clean and tell us why you never miss an opportunity to push the amiko box since you have been linking to the ferguson 120 on satworld since it was launched , has it always been badly built and if so why have you been recommending it all this time ?

shblob wrote: »
    @Tony: What youre saying is the same as there is no point getting a better car that the hyundai atos because the speed limit is only 120km/h

because I had one, foolishly thinking it was a good box due to the reports on this thread and praises from yourself and others, after the third faulty box, I think that says enough about this box.. and that is different boxes. Not the same 120 being repaired..

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭firemansam1

reaper180 wrote: »
    plug in USB Stick and go to "Tools" - "Upgrade by USB" scroll over to "Dump File" and Dump your list to USB. This can be used to reload your list to the other reciever when you put the usb into that

Right,

Just did that, it seemed to work. What size file should it be?

Is it possible to open it on the PC or anything to verify that it has worked

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

because I had one, foolishly thinking it was a good box due to the reports on this thread and praises from yourself and others, after the third faulty box, I think that says enough about this box.. and that is different boxes. Not the same 120 being repaired..

Which you bought, from the same supplier no doubt. Satworld ???? Yes they had a dodgy batch around Christmas, didnt they ?

I have one. Many of my mates have them. Outside of that the boxes are very popular. Why ? They do what the do and cheaply. Outside of the dodgy batch that satsklep and satworld had, any killing of boxes is down to people who are flashing them with the wrong or unoffcial firmware. Even then these issues can be recovered from as the chip has a built in rom to protect from such bad flashes.

Your posts dissing the Ferguson and pushing satworld is getting a little monotonous.

If you have nothing to contribute to the Ferguson threads, I suggest you simply don't. Given you dont have one, I wonder what your interest is, other to push a satworld link and the expensive but much the same amiko's.

I don't sell boxes.

I don't sell boxes either, I am recommending a decent box to people so they dont waste their money on arivas which break.

STB wrote: »
    Which you bought, from the same supplier no doubt. Satworld ???? Yes they had a dodgy batch around Christmas, didnt they ?

I have one. Many of my mates have them. Outside of that the boxes are very popular. Why ? They do what the do and cheaply. Outside of the dodgy batch that satsklep and satworld had, any killing of boxes is down to people who are flashing them with the wrong or unoffcial firmware. Even then these issues can be recovered from as the chip has a built in rom to protect from such bad flashes.

Your posts dissing the Ferguson and pushing satworld is getting a little monotonous.

If you have nothing to contribute to the Ferguson threads, I suggest you simply don't. Given you dont have one, I wonder what your interest is, other to push a satworld link and the expensive but much the same amiko's.

I don't sell boxes.
    Yes I did buy it from satworld.. and how does a supplier have anything to do with the boxes being poorly built that they go faulty and give no power after a month of use..

Yes I did buy it from satworld.. and how does a supplier have anything to do with the boxes being poorly built that they go faulty and give no power after a month of use..

They were the source of a dodgy batch. The ones they do doubt got from Satsklep!

That a lot of people who didnt buy from that source at that very time, not tell you something.
    I don't sell boxes either, I am recommending a decent box to people so they dont waste their money on arivas which break.

Don't generalise. Tens of thousands of these boxes have been sold and are working fine. I have taken mine apart and messed with more than the average joe would (its what I do). Still works.

I have plenty of more expensive sat boxes that i have paid much for but none that gave me as much functionality for such little money as the little 120 combo.

They were the source of a dodgy batch. The ones they do doubt got from Satsklep!

That a lot of people who didnt buy from that source at that very time, not tell you something.

Don't generalise. Tens of thousands of these boxes have been sold and are working fine. I have taken mine apart and messed with more than the average joe would (its what I do). Still works.

I have plenty of more expensive sat boxes that i have paid much for but none that gave me as much functionality for such little money as the little 120 combo.
    Again where are you getting these figures that 'tens of thousands' of them are being sold? why not millions?

Much of the same functionality is true, but still not 'all' of the functionality, features and spec..

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. There was a production issue before Xmas when faulty flash memeory was installed by ferguson but apart from that I've found it to be as reliable as any other box in this price range.

Why not start another thread about your positive experience with the amiko ? I'm sure others here would be interested in an alternative to the ferguson.

• Advertisement

Again where are you getting these figures that 'tens of thousands' of them are being sold? why not millions?

Much of the same functionality is true, but still not 'all' of the functionality, features and spec..

Knowledge.

It requires a little understanding of the stb market. Would you know anything of that ?

TBH I am not interacting with you any further after what you posted in the other thread. I don't post here for the purposes of a name calling competition.

Knowledge.

It requires a little understanding of the stb market. Would you know anything of that ?

TBH I am not interacting with you any further after what you posted in the other thread. I don't post here for the purposes of a name calling competition.
    So you know fergusons sales figures? where did you get them?

So you know fergusons sales figures? where did you get them?

Read the bottom of my previous post. Got it ?

Read the bottom of my previous post. Got it ?
    Who do you think you are to tell me what to do on a public forum?

I asked you a question which you havent answered, you seem to know fergusons sales figures you must be a dealer of these boxes so..

Who do you think you are to tell me what to do on a public forum?

I asked you a question which you havent answered, you seem to know fergusons sales figures you must be a dealer of these boxes so..

Again

Thanks for playing. Have you got it now ? Perhaps your mates in satworld might know the answer ?

• Advertisement

Again

Again you haven't answered my question.. you must work with Tony seeing how you push these boxes so much

Thats a serious allegation you are making which I would ask you to withdraw as its completely untrue . If you do not I'll have no choice but to report the post to a moderator.

you must work with Tony seeing how you push these boxes so much

Tens of thousands of these boxes have been sold and are working fine. I have taken mine apart and messed with more than the average joe would (its what I do). Still works.
    With so many boxes sold you'd expect better software support .
    The firmware on these boxes is fairly limited ,buggy and unuser friendly.

For instance ,the Opticum X403 ,a similar enough type box bar having no Terrestrial option has a huge user support and the firmware leaves the Ferguson by the side of the road.

Dont get me wrong ,its a good box,very well priced but the software on it is poor .

Zardoz wrote: »
    With so many boxes sold you'd expect better software support .
    The firmware on these boxes is fairly limited ,buggy and unuser friendly.

For instance ,the Opticum X403 ,a similar enough type box bar having no Terrestrial option has a huge user support and the firmware leaves the Ferguson by the side of the road.

Dont get me wrong ,its a good box,very well priced but the software on it is poor .
    Not only the software.. the hardware doesnt seem too great either!

Since you have not replied to my request I'll have to take this up with a moderator. Thanks for messing up the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Guys, let's get the toys back in their respective prams.

Zab wrote: »
    Guys, let's get the toys back in their respective prams.

Thats hardly helpful but lets let the moderator sort it out.

Tony wrote: »
    Since you have not replied to my request I'll have to take this up with a moderator. Thanks for messing up the thread.
    I am sorry master Tony, I have just checked STBs friends list and you sir are numero uno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Again you haven't answered my question.. you must work with Tony seeing how you push these boxes so much
    Please don't make unfounded allegations towards other users. Please let's not make this thread personal.
    I am sorry master Tony, I have just checked STBs friends list and you sir are numero uno.
    Which proves nothing.

STB does not work for me and I'll ask you again to withdraw your accusation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Tony wrote: »
    I'll have to take this up with a moderator. Thanks for messing up the thread.

Let's see if they take any notice this time, it's not the 1st time (s)he's been reported.

Edit: Oh, they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Can people please discuss the topic and the topic only?
    I can't believe the amount of bickering and sly comments that seems to occur on these threads.
    No more acquisitions, no more name calling.

Well maybe if we had more people like STB we'd have better software.
    He is a mind of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭installer

As my username might suggest, I am an installer in the west and have bought and sold quite a few of these ariva 120's all still working with the exception of 1 which has the bad memory inside, ( oh and 1 in the van which may or may not turn out to be from same batch, not tested yet) oh and just a point to note, of no malicious nature towards anyone whatsoever. The box that went faulty wasnt bought from satsklep or satworld.ie it was bought from another supplier so the faulty boxes could literally turn up anywhere.
    If I had any gripe about these boxes it would be that the channel selection options are a little confusing for some customers, ie if you press ok and then scroll left or right it brings you to either terrestrial only, all channels, or satellite only, i have had to call back to a few customers to explain this and make sure it stays on all channels. is there a way to only have the all channels option on it.?
    Poorly explained sorry but i think ye might get my point.

installer wrote: »
    A

I understand exactly what you mean and agree it causes confusion no end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭hibble

Just my few bob's worth:-
    I bought one of these boxes last June after doing a bit of research on this forum and other places. The price was good and it does what it says on the tin. My wife and mother in law can use the one remote to select whatever they want from their favourites group without difficulty.
    I bought mine from Tony because it was cheap, quick delivery, Irish business and I thought it looked like there would be customer back - up if needed.
    There have been software updates - read the thread and you'll see that Tony was on to Ferguson quite a bit to sort out some of the early teething problems. Lip synch was resolved very quickly. 7 day EPG for terrestrial arrived not too long after that. I have to say that this unit was probably the best value for money item that I purchased last year.
    I can't understand why certain posters have a problem - no doubt they are the same ones that will tell you your Skoda Octavia is a pile of cr4p because it is not a Volkswagen Golf?

In short, I bought the box to watch telly. It does that. It didn't cost me an arm and a leg. Where there were problems - they've been sorted. If your box has gone bang, then I would suggest that your time would be better spent contacting your supplier than telling us we have wasted our money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

hibble wrote: »
    In short, I bought the box to watch telly. It does that. It didn't cost me an arm and a leg. Where there were problems - they've been sorted. If your box has gone bang, then I would suggest that your time would be better spent contacting your supplier than telling us we have wasted our money.

+1. I have now bought two of these. One of for me and one for my parents. Early s/w upgrade fixed some minor issues I was having. Otherwise its been a great purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Wonder if there is even any need for this thread anymore. There is the 120 user thread where people can discuss the merits or otherwise of their 120 units.

€63 is a red herring of a price and the thread has become divisive. If people then wish to post about other boxes, theres several threads on which combo box to choose etc.

A SEARCH OF BOARDS shows just how many threads there are on the same box, few of which have as much argument as this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭installer

I havent searched other threads but I'l wager they dont have as much help, tips, channel lists/firmware available for download as this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The proliferation of threads on one box is ridiculous though. Not saying this thread doesn't offer some good advice, because it does, but it could easily be merged into the 120 User thread, a thread set up to give you all the expertise and advice of other users. If you wiped/merged half the 120 threads on here, it would be much easier to find the threads that have useful information in them.

The Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread

Edit: Anyway, sorry for going Off Topic, at least I think I have, struggling to know what the topic is now. Won't derail again.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

I hope I'm not jumping the gun but I think I did my penance by reading the first 88 pages and i just have some additional questions.

Thanks for the info Tony and others. I started reading the last couple of pages and it's starting to get very vindictive. Surely the merits of other boxes could be discussed elsewhere.

Questions are:
    1. Can you record a DTT channel and watch one at the same time if you have only an analogue television?
    2. Has anyone networked this so you can stream videos or would I need extra hardware for this?
    3. There's a dish in the apartment left by the last occupants but the the coax looks dodgy. Will I be able to just take off this old coax and hook up a new one or am I looking at replacing the dish?

Questions are:
    1. Can you record a DTT channel and watch one at the same time if you have only an analogue television?
    2. Has anyone networked this so you can stream videos or would I need extra hardware for this?
    3. There's a dish in the apartment left by the last occupants but the the coax looks dodgy. Will I be able to just take off this old coax and hook up a new one or am I looking at replacing the dish?

Hi Daithi

1. Yes at present you can as DTT is all on one mux

2.I've not tried this myself sorry

3. If the dish is working ok and pointing at astra 2 it should be ok with new coax

Thanks Tony.

One final one and then I think I have my mind made up.

I'm interested in watching Spanish football and that's probably the main reason I'd get this rather than just having saorview.

Can the satelite point at astra 2 (which I suppose RTE,TV3, TG4 is on) and the following at the same time:
    Macedonian Sitel on Eutelsat W2 16E
    TV Sport RO Mpeg Sirius 2 5º E 12.697 V 14685 - 3/4 - 1907 1911
    hotbird

I suppose what I need to find out what channels are on what satellite. Is there anywhere that is available?

Then I suppose I need to find if they are on different satellites are they both in the same direction or does it sound like I am looking more down the lines of a motored dish?

Appreciate the inputs. Thanks.

Might be a little off topic and if so can move to a seperate thread.

Daithi it can handle diseq so you can use either a motor or a diseq switch, the type of dish set up you go for will determine what satellites can be received. If you check out lyngsat or kingof sat you can get listings there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Is anyone having issues with the picture skipping/jerking on TG4? Anytime Rugby or GAA is on TG4 it becomes very noticeable. The other terrestrials seems fine.

Signal Intensity is 78%
    Signal Quality is 90%
    Frequency is 738. I think it's from Mount Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

738 mHz is channel 54, used by Kippure & Three Rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Yes you are right its from Kippure.

The rugby six nations was fine today on RTE 2. It only seems to be TG4 that I am having problems with.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Shannon_Gaels

recyclebin wrote: »
    Yes you are right its from Kippure.

The rugby six nations was fine today on RTE 2. It only seems to be TG4 that I am having problems with.

Hi
    Might be worth checking are you picking up TG4 from a different transmitter, that might be further away.
    Press (i) button to confirm the freq is the same , just a thought

It was just that i had this issue with the parents unit, it would pick up 2 transmitters and i deleted the stronger signal on one of the channels by accident.

BTW

Hi Tony

I got the units (2) back from ferguson (via satklep) ,UPS delievered .
    All working fine now. There(feguson) pretty good with their warranty support.which is good to know.
    (considering i put more petrol into my car each week than what one of these units costs)

Not bad ,impressed

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

installer wrote: »
    If I had any gripe about these boxes it would be that the channel selection options are a little confusing for some customers, ie if you press ok and then scroll left or right it brings you to either terrestrial only, all channels, or satellite only, i have had to call back to a few customers to explain this and make sure it stays on all channels. is there a way to only have the all channels option on it.?

Oh, you're dead right, it's a bit frustrating, it works "properly" on Techomates. On the Ariva, you have to use the two buttons near bottom of remote with double up and down arrows to scroll "pages" of channels.

Just ordering now and don't see where the boards discount is.

Getting conflicting information about Saorview. Am I right in saying I need another aerial for saorview for picking up RTE etc. and that's all I need if using an Analogue TV?

Also what guarantee comes with these boxes?

• Advertisement
Advertisement