Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice from Pro shooters needed!

• 30-05-2011 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Shot a fashion show recently, thread around here about that somewhere, anyway, turns out one of the models wants a shot of her from it. I'm wondering what the etiquette is around charging, and how much I should charge for a soft copy if it's for portfolio use, or if I should charge anything at all?

I was thinking ballpark a tenner for a fullsize jpeg for printing or online use.

Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

A tenner.....really?

If you've shot the gig and you're not making an income from photography, tell her you'll trade for a half decent bottle of booze.

If you where there as a professional making a living from photography I'd say charge her €15-20 per 8*10 print or €200 for the file.

Honestly, where did you get the idea of charging a tenner? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Haha. I've heard of full res files going for a few grand before (company dependant), but ten quid? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Hi All,

Shot a fashion show recently, thread around here about that somewhere, anyway, turns out one of the models wants a shot of her from it. I'm wondering what the etiquette is around charging, and how much I should charge for a soft copy if it's for portfolio use, or if I should charge anything at all?

I was thinking ballpark a tenner for a fullsize jpeg for printing or online use.

Any advice much appreciated!

Ask her for a 2 hour photoshoot in exchange for the gig photo and some from the 2 hour shoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

It's an awkward one really isnt it. Usually when requested I give a watermarked picture for free and if Im in a good mood I just give the pic. It really depends on why you were there really though. I will give if I was there for fun and just happened to take pics, if its a work thing though all my images are included in my price so they will often get the image from the event organiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I plucked the figure out of the air!

I was there shooting a friends pieces that were in the show. I'm not a professional photographer, but would not say no if someone wanted to hire me or pay for my work. I don't want to 'give it away for free', as I feel that the shot is worth paying for, and also I've read enough threads around here about amateurs and freebies. I'm also bearing in mind the fact that she's not a business and probably not swimming in money.

I guess a small bit of money is still a transaction, which recognises the photo has value.

I'd say she'd just say 'thanks but no thanks' if I ask her for 200 quids.

Do models usually prefer prints or soft copy?

• Advertisement

I'd be inclined to go with the above suggestion, of giving it to her for free, along with a few others, if she poses for you for a while (digital copies only, though, or she can cover the cost of printing, either way, don't actually end up costing yourself money, unless she's absolutely amazingly stunning looking, and you reckon a shot of her will get people giving you/your site a second look).

Heck, if she's a model with a portfolio, she might even be able to teach you a thing of two. Regardless, if she's experienced, unless you're wholly incompetent (which I doubt) chances are you'll get at least one really good image from an hour or two with her, which you can then use if you wish to try your luck down that route in future.

If that's not possible, tell her a printed 8x10" printed and posted will cost her €15(*), or €15 for a digital copy that's 1000pixels(*) on the long side, but untagged, so she can print her own copy of it.

* = this is what i personally would probably do. I'd keep it under €20, though. Much like shop prices always ending in 99c, the 2 will make the price seem inflated. Go to €19, even, but don't scare her off. If she's doing it for a portfolio then she's probably not making much though, and may not want to spend a whole lot. I'd still personally push for the photoshoot with her though.

All just in my own opinion, though. (if you do the shoot = Model release!)

EDIT: What was the shot you have of her from? Was she paid to model at it? Was it a charity thing? If she was paid to be there, have no guilt in bumping the price up. I generally see 8x10s for €25 (printed). If she wants a digital copy, tell her you'll give her a discount on a watermarked version).

EDIT again: I'm no pro! Take my opinion with the grain of salt it deserves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Commercial work goes from €55 for small size upwards

It was a charity fashion show, she's a professional model with the agency that was providing the models, I assume it was paid work, but I couldn't say for sure.

If anyone wants to see the pic in question, pm and I'll send a link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

turns out one of the models wants a shot of her from it

Lots of the advice is good that has been posted. I just want to put one other angle on it which you might wish to consider.

Who is the model? Don't name or link (rhetorical question) - I ask who as i've no other criteria to assess their level of experience or success. If its Vogue Williams or other full time/make a living from modelling, then yes of course a charge of the kind that have been mentioned wouldn't be extraordinary. Actually, if indeed it was Vogue Williams then go more probably as she ultimately could make more from your work in her portfolio.

If the model is an out of school teenager who once a month gets a turn at being a Vogue Williams for an hour, then maybe your initial thought is more appropriate or even FOC with your watermark. If this model was paid for his/her work and if not on the books of an agency then he/she is probably earning €10/hour, maybe €15 if he's/she's good so a tenner to you for the use of an image would possibly be (in their eyes) a big investment out of the night (yes, that could pay them back in spades as a result of all the work they will get from your image thereafter, but just putting it out there). Some of the other figures would potentially leave them broke out of their nights work (accepted that this isn't your problem).

It really depends on your view, you, and how you view the value and your associated costs of the image which you now have.

* I know this opinion won't be a popular one, an immediate response of 'why should' is expected and would be quite reasonable of which there isn't really an answer that couldn't be argued so i'll leave it as a thought for you to consider :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Lots of the advice is good that has been posted. I just want to put one other angle on it which you might wish to consider.

Who is the model? Don't name or link (rhetorical question) - I ask who as i've no other criteria to assess their level of experience or success. If its Vogue Williams or other full time/make a living from modelling, then yes of course a charge of the kind that have been mentioned wouldn't be extraordinary. Actually, if indeed it was Vogue Williams then go more probably as she ultimately could make more from your work in her portfolio.

If the model is an out of school teenager who once a month gets a turn at being a Vogue Williams for an hour, then maybe your initial thought is more appropriate or even FOC with your watermark. If this model was paid for his/her work and if not on the books of an agency then he/she is probably earning €10/hour, maybe €15 if he's/she's good so a tenner to you for the use of an image would possibly be (in their eyes) a big investment out of the night (yes, that could pay them back in spades as a result of all the work they will get from your image thereafter, but just putting it out there). Some of the other figures would potentially leave them broke out of their nights work.

It really depends on your view, you, and how you view the value and your associated costs of the image which you now have.

* I know this opinion won't be a popular one, an immediate response of 'why should' is expected and would be quite reasonable of which there isn't really an answer that couldn't be argued so i'll leave it as a thought for you to consider :)

Who's Vogue Williams ???

• Advertisement

afaik she's a fulltime model, with an agency.

I'm going with the following: €15 for a 8x10/9x6 or €20 for a 640x420 websized image.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

At the end of the day its what your happy with charging, you can get lots of suggestions but only you know your value :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Ok, here's my 2 cents worth...

She's a fulltime model therefore making a living from her profession.

Charge her full commercial rate for a single print but take into account that you didn't specifically travel to shoot her.The suggestion of around 55 Euro sounds like a good starting point (bearing in mind you didn't specifically have to set up to shoot her, so perhaps take off a bit for this.)A tenner is definately too low.

You've had to build up your equipment and experience as has she. You said you'd accept paying work, so does she.

If you need a piece of equipment then you have to pay for it. Your tools are your photography equipment and experience, the model has her portfolio as part of her tools.

Best of luck with your decision :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Things like this are awkward. I always think of the situation from my position, If I ever wanted a full size Jpeg I would no way pay €200, I'd probably laugh at the idea of someone wanting to sell an image of me competing in a sport for that amount.

But then, If It was something like a landscape image that was amazing it would seem more acceptable.

I've given away full-res jpegs for free with people buying prints off me as I was in a good mood. But would probably charge €15 to sell them separately. Selling an image for €200 would mean If I sold 10 of them my gear would be fully paid for, to me that seems crazy especially for something like a fashion show where you're a bit snap happy and not exactly setting up every shot before hand.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Things like this are awkward. I always think of the situation from my position, If I ever wanted a full size Jpeg I would no way pay €200, I'd probably laugh at the idea of someone wanting to sell an image of me competing in a sport for that amount.

But then, If It was something like a landscape image that was amazing it would seem more acceptable.

I've given away full-res jpegs for free with people buying prints off me as I was in a good mood. But would probably charge €15 to sell them separately. Selling an image for €200 would mean If I sold 10 of them my gear would be fully paid for, to me that seems crazy especially for something like a fashion show where you're a bit snap happy and not exactly setting up every shot before hand.

I had an image of a horse rider winning an event with the riders sponsor clearly visible in the image and they got in touch looking for that image, I told them it would be €55 for single use and €150 for multiple usage on it, great action shot would have done a lot for the company and they baulked at the price. They never saw it again, I deleted every internet occourrence of that image just to be sure. They were amateurs (in the business sense) and I was professional, on the opposite side I have sold a lot of single use images to other more professional companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

I've given away shots - coz they were never going to be paid for - but mostly always to clubs, organisations etc. and get a credit for them.
    Papers - if they use them they'll pay (not much) but they will pay!!
    individuals? all depends, as has been stated - their status?
    Who's Vogue Williams ??? exactly!! ;)
    lol
    anyway in this case if you dont give the girl the photo - what do you gain?
    probably nothing more than owning the copyright!
    still - if she's a struggling model, a tenner is not too bad eh? times are hard!
    Best case - cover your printing costs and maybe she'll show it to her friends who will flock to you for similar shots :)

peace :)

Fionn wrote: »
    Best case - cover your printing costs and maybe she'll show it to her friends who will flock to you for similar shots :)

But that's the problem - they will flock for similar shots at the same price i.e. free - what's my gain then!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

But that's the problem - they will flock for similar shots at the same price i.e. free - what's my gain then!?

I don't think Fionn was suggesting that it would be a permanent fixture for you. If someone is coming specifically looking for you to disrupt you from your normal day to day, and take photographs of them, then that is probably a whole different ball game. Have a standard rate card (sitting fee, your studio fee, print fees, digital licence fee, etc.) at the ready of the kind of figures which were quoted on the thread, and provide custom options should they wish for something different, or have your opinions formed on whether you are available on a TF working basis or not.

Advertisement