Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copyright & Trademark

• 31-05-2011 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hey, I was just wondering if anybody could tell how/if I can copyright or trademark a band name and songs that I have. I was looking on the web for ages, but didn't get a proper answer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭boogeyman

When I registered a band name before I used www.bandname.com Its an online register of band names etc. I also registered the name of the band as a company name with the Company Registration Office www.cro.ie

I'm not sure how legally binding both of these are, but there not too expensive and offer good proof of when you registered the name.

For songs/albums your best bet is to sign up to IMRO www.imro.ie For this you'll have to fill out a form and send proof of a release, like the artwork to a CD etc. You send them details of the songs and they collect and distribute royalties to you a few times a year (if they're played on the radio, used for t.v. or something) As far as I know thats how you copyright a song.

I'm sure there's more on this but thats my 2 cents:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MaidenSlayer

Cheers man that looks like a big help. I found loads of info on how to do it in America but none here. I'll have a look into it thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Hendrixfan

Hey, I was just wondering if anybody could tell how/if I can copyright or trademark a band name and songs that I have. I was looking on the web for ages, but didn't get a proper answer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

The old way to copyright was to pop your song / songs into an envelope with a page from the days newspaper then reg post it to yourself, hold onto it without opening. If someone ripped off your song you could catch them out by proving you wrote it 1st with song and date in the envelope.

IMRO I think are more to do with collecting royalties, before you can sign up with them you've to prove you played 12 shows in a year with some of your own tunes. Anytime you play an event have an event rep sign off that you've played some of your songs, 12 shows and your in. You then keep sending IMRO details of any shows you've played and they'll send you your royalties, thats how it used to be anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Copyright is yours as soon as you create the piece, either music artwork, or song - however to prove it, you could register it online (Can't remember what agencies) but also as posted above (What I do) is print it, and reg post it to myself.

Advertisement