Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verify email address privacy for boards deals please

Options
  • 31-05-2011 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I've started getting a couple of bits of spam since signing up to boards deals, and I had not gotten any to this email before. Both are 411 scams. I have only used this email for boards and personal mail. I did a quick search and my email address is not listed in any results.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Your e-mail address doesn't need to show in google to get spam, I have lots of random e-mail address some of which have never ever been used but they still get spam.

Generally its a case of spamming "everything"@domain.com and eventually they'll get some hits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

I've asked for verification and will get back to you as soon as I can with where and how they're stored.

It's worth pointing out that in the last six months of Boards Deals, yours is the first complaint we've had, so I don't think the problem is on our end, you'll be glad to hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

Darragh wrote: »
    I've asked for verification and will get back to you as soon as I can with where and how they're stored.

It's worth pointing out that in the last six months of Boards Deals, yours is the first complaint we've had, so I don't think the problem is on our end, you'll be glad to hear!
    Well most people wouldn't notice if an odd bit of spam was generated, because most addresses get loads of it already. I only noticed because it was a new address that had previously been completely spam-free.

I know that you dont need to have your email displayed online to get spammed. It is one way that spammers get email addresses though. I was just demonstrating that I was investigating any alternative explantations I could think of.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Hmmm, very interesting

i got a 411 this morning to work email address, the only thing that comes here is the boards deals (which i asked to be changed a few months ago...still wating)
    My Dear Beloved,

My name is Rev.Fr.Collins Martins. I am 74 years old now. I have been suffering in the sick bed for the past 7 years at Queen Elizabeth Hospital , Woolworth. Now I believe that my time has come to join my ancestors in heaven. I got your email address from the Internet, as the spirit of Almighty God directed me to contact you for this charity work. I have US$11.1M deposited in a safe location in Europe , which I want you to claim on my behalf for an important charitable project.

Can you honestly do this for me?

Remain bless in the Lord.

Rev.Fr.Collins Martins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

irishbird wrote: »
    Hmmm, very interesting

i got a 411 this morning to work email address, the only thing that comes here is the boards deals (which i asked to be changed a few months ago...still wating)

When you say you asked it to be "changed", where and to what, please?

I've been talking to our tech team and they've assured me that BoardsDeals stores newsletter subscriber email addresses on a secure server, and we never share email addresses with any third parties.
    Therefore they're happy that anything getting into your inbox is not getting there from/via/because of BoardsDeals...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Darragh wrote: »
    When you say you asked it to be "changed", where and to what, please?

I've been talking to our tech team and they've assured me that BoardsDeals stores newsletter subscriber email addresses on a secure server, and we never share email addresses with any third parties.
    Therefore they're happy that anything getting into your inbox is not getting there from/via/because of BoardsDeals...

Hi Darragh,
    I mail Niamh on the 08.03.2011 at 11.17am and again,04.05.2011 at 11.57am.

I can forward you on the PM's?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

irishbird wrote: »
    Hi Darragh,
    I mail Niamh on the 08.03.2011 at 11.17am and again,04.05.2011 at 11.57am.

I can forward you on the PM's?

Why not use the unsubscribe link for the work address and then re-subscribe via the website with the other address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I have a specific address for boardsdeals and haven't received any spam at all to that address.

Advertisement