Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop suitable for WoW ?

Options
  • 31-05-2011 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

I'm going to get World of Warcraft for the summer but my current laptop's pretty **** so I'll be getting a new one. I need one that'll run WoW well and also perform well in general. I don't know much about computers, so speak to me like you would your grandmother! My budget is around €700/€800.

So can you recommend a good laptop to me? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

Have a look at the system requirments and you might be able have a better guess yourself.

System Requirments

Of course these are still pretty low for todays laptops so see if you can find a laptop with better hardware mentioned in the link.

Cheers,
    Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

tom_ass19 wrote: »
    Have a look at the system requirments and you might be able have a better guess yourself.

System Requirments

Of course these are still pretty low for todays laptops so see if you can find a laptop with better hardware mentioned in the link.

Cheers,
    Tom

Do you think a Dell Inspiron 17R would be good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Whats specs it got??
    If it matches or betters the specs linked above I'd guess so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

I'm not a great tech head but as Berns said it seems okay, if you purchase it make sure to pick the best processor and upgrade the RAM to at least 4gigs.

Cheers,
    Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

MOD-EDIT: *SNIP*

Warning - We're not permitted to allow sales on the open/public forums, that is where Adverts.ie comes in.

RopeDrink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Do you think a Dell Inspiron 17R would be good?

I actually have this laptop for travelling and what not, occasionally use it play WoW on.

It's playable, but you'd be best to keep it at the lowest graphic settings, and you may need to avoid end-game raiding and pvp.

Personally, I'd always advise an actual PC for playing games on, its much more comfortable in all ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/xps-l502x/pd?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

thats a pretty nice laptop. The one for €679 is pretty nice.

Core i3
    3GB DDR3
    320GB 7200RPM HDD
    1GB nVidia GPU

should whip WoW ass :L

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Don't buy a laptop for starters, they are SHÍT for games, seriously buy a desktop.

The system requirements are lies ignore them.

A dual core amd will run wow on ultra just fine.

Im_EoinD wrote: »
    http://www.dell.com/ie/p/xps-l502x/pd?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

thats a pretty nice laptop. The one for €679 is pretty nice.

Core i3
    3GB DDR3
    320GB 7200RPM HDD
    1GB nVidia GPU

should whip WoW ass :L

Will only be able to run wow on good/fair setting with about 20 fps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

Laisurg wrote: »

No it would not. These kick the crap outta the specs that wow requires.....:confused:

• Advertisement

Nah you'd run at about 40fps or so on this laptop going by it's spec's.

My only real issue with laptops is that they are quite uncomfortable for PvP and Raiding (imo), and prefer a PC anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Ha! i can run WoW at 25-30 FPS on a C2D 2.0 GHz 4GB RAM and a Geforce 8400M 512MB, that spec would kick WoWs ass

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Don't buy a laptop for starters, they are SHÍT for games, seriously buy a desktop.

The system requirements are lies ignore them.

A dual core amd will run wow on ultra just fine.

Playing wow on high settings on an Studio17 with 60FPS in raids, so not sure what you are talking about.

I actually picked the laptop up off a guy on Adverts just after Christmas.

I know the Studio 17 is more a desktop replacement, but i just wanted to get something quick, that i could use for working from Cork when i was down there, and something i could just hook up to monitors when i was back in dublin.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Yeah i used to play wow on my laptop at 40ish fps... 3 year old £500 sony vaio.

So yeah... that lappy will be pretty good for it i'd imagine.

The graphics are more demanding these days, i've got a laptop an i5 2.6gz processor, ati 5800 graphics card and 4gb ram, much higher than the minimum specs on the box yet outside of raids i run at 30 fps on good settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

The graphics are more demanding these days, i've got a laptop an i5 2.6gz processor, ati 5800 graphics card and 4gb ram, much higher than the minimum specs on the box yet outside of raids i run at 30 fps on good settings.

Lower settings maybe?

Most likely reason for this is because WoW runs mostly from the CPU, and not from the GPU like most games should do now.

Advertisement