Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did/do you hate secondry school?

Options
  • 31-05-2011 5:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

Often feel I'm the minority on this one but I completely despised going to secondry school. It was a so called decent school but each day killed me a little.
    Info just being rammed down your throat with no interaction other than 'process without will and redigest upon exam day', being shifted around one bell after another, 45 mins break, didnt get along with much of my class mates, exams, etc. I found it kinda insane and I strongly sympathize with those who were disruptive and unable to 'fit in' the structure of it.
    I know people who enjoyed it but mostly cuz they got a long with the class mates and had a bit of craic.

Did you hate secondary school? 13 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 yit

I actually really enjoyed secondary school, especially the two exam years. I suppose I did get on well with everyone in my year and the teachers liked me so I really liked going in. I agree completely with you though in terms of stuff having to be learned off by heart or not really learned at all. But unfortunately you simpley just don't have the time to digest everything because you're doing 7 exam subjects. People either adapt to that or they fight it, and it's nearly always the people who adapt that seem to do better imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Hated school
    Hated being bossed around all day
    Loved playing sports, but this was almost frowned upon.
    Couldn't wait to leave

Enjoyed university though
    Encouraged to play sports
    Study when you like
    Treated like an adult - even when I acted like a teenager ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 netaddict

Wasn't that I hated school, just didn't really self actualise in that environment. The only experiment I think we did was litmus paper with a lemon and we had to watch a teacher do it, so pretty poor overall quality of teaching. Also didn't have an honours maths teacher in our final year, although out of those that did it the lowest score was B1, goes to show what students can do when motivated and left to their own devices.

Left that school and graduated top of my class in science degree and top five for medicine so have to say once I got out of secondary school I did a lot better and that was all with holding part time jobs and paying my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Loved playing sports, but this was almost frowned upon.
    Wow, seriously? We got sport (mostly rugby, but there was a good range of others) morning, noon and night where I went. It was great!

I was a bit of a social retard until Transition Year and didn't like the school much. I got over myself that year and absolutely loved the place afterwards. OK the LC isn't the best exam in the world, but with enthusiastic teachers I still think I learned more than how to regurgitate.

What I hated was the uniform, single sex, single religion. I didn't have that in primary school so it never seemed normal, and college was a welcome return to the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I didn't like it at the time, but in hindsight it doesn't seem so bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭not_so_civil

I quite enjoyed secondary school. I was basically a ghost until transition year when i really started getting involved in everything.
    Our teachers were amazing, really down to earth, funny and fantastic at their jobs. There was always a great atmosphere in the classrooms, and we were encouraged to to plenty of sports and extra curricular stuff like charity events and trips abroad (even in the exam years)
    The only downside to our school was that the majority of people came from backgrounds where education wasn't really valued so they acted like complete plebs in class and generally got on my nerves.
    Other than that I loved it, but I would never in a million years go back!

Advertisement