Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help to Restore Broken Phone/Broadband Socket Connection

• 31-05-2011 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Can anyone help with what I think is probably a simple telephone wiring problem:
    My desktop computer is connected to one of four telephone sockets in the house. In moving a bookshelf yesterday I damaged the socket and the wires have become disconnected. [ see attached photograph of loose wires and socket ]
    As the attached photograph shows, there are six attachment slots numbered on the left 4 5 3 and on the right of the photo 1 2 6.
    There are also six thin wires coming from the end of the cable as follows:
    Blue - attached to slot No 1
    Red - loose but wire is stripped ( must have been attached to something
    Green - loose but wire not stripped.
    White 3 wires neither of which is stripped but one of which is cut short.
    There is also an uncovered this piece of wire attached to the slot No6 but this probably was also looped and attached to another slot?
    All of these hopefully should be visible on the attached photograph.
    Can anyone advise what wires I need to re-connect to what slots so I can restore my broadband and telephone connection to this room.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

I attach a better photograph of the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Ernest wrote: »
    My desktop computer is connected to one of four telephone sockets in the house.

You have three undamaged connections?

Can you not remove the faceplate on one of the working sockets and get the correct wiring from that?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Thanks but, yes I tried that but the other three sockets are different as follows:
    1 has an alarm connection and was changed about a year ago to a different type of socket
    2 has a loop in and out to another extension and
    3 is similar but has wires on the other claws nos 4 and 3 instead of 1 ( and 6?) on the other side - SEE ATTACHED PHOTO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

:eek:

I don't know if the orange wire was used as the wires for those terminals don't need to be bared, the claw "bites" the wire and makes contact through any insulation. If it was used, the white loop of wire is in the "claw" that the orange wire is supposed to be in!

So, plug a phone into the socket and listen to it. It will be dead of course. Touch the bare orange wire off "claw" 6 while listening to the phone and see if that gets a dialtone when you do that.

IF it works, then just connect the wire to the claw 6 terminal somehow by wrapping it around or else bare the white wire stub and twist the two wires together. Or else take the white bit out of the claw and insert the orange wire into the claw with pliers and perhaps a small flatblade screwdriver.

If it doesn't work, come back to us and we'll advise futher!

Advertisement