Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bent Cross member = NCT failure?

Options
  • 31-05-2011 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Looking for a bit of advice really here, I recently purchased a 06 ford Mondeo apart from a few minor niggles everything is going OK with the car, however there is one thing that has cropped up since I bought the car that has me slightly bothered.

The cross member behind the front bumper is pinched back and is nearly touching the intercooler. I have been on to the garage about this and although they accepted initially to replace this they are now saying that they had it checked (when it was getting other minor items sorted) and that it is structurally sound.

my main concern here is that the car won't pass the NCT in April 2012 as a result of this cross member being bent.

Any advice is greatly appreciated on whether this will be the case
    (NCT Failure) or whether I should continue to push the garage for this to be replaced?

Regards
    Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

If the mechanic said it was mechanically sound, I don't see why they would fail you for it.
    A cross member stops the car from twisting so I don't know how much the NCT centers would examine every cross member on each car, because each car manufacturer would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Ask them to replace the cross member if it fails the NCT and get the agreement in writing.

If the cross member is bent it won't be as strong as it was, I'd want it replaced regardless of what the NCT make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

RoverJames wrote: »
    If the cross member is bent it won't be as strong as it was, I'd want it replaced regardless of what the NCT make of it.
    That was my argument and when I mentioned the safety aspect they came back to say it was structurally sound.
    Sheeps wrote:
    Ask them to replace the cross member if it fails the NCT and get the agreement in writing.
    This is what I am thinking of doing at the moment if they don't agree to replacing it and continue to argue that it is structurally sound.

Thanks for the replies so far.

tommycahir wrote: »
    That was my argument and when I mentioned the safety aspect they came back to say it was structurally sound.

They can't honestly reckon that a bent crossmember is as strong as an undamaged one. Unless they are completely thick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement