Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

Five miles this morning and I felt totally deflated afterwards. All I could think of during the run was 'How the hell am I going to manage to run 6 miles this day next week when 5 feels like this today?!' :(

I had planned an out-and-back route of 2.5 miles each way, but instead headed to my more familiar route which is a one mile long road (0.3 miles away from my house). I figured if I ran down and up this road twice (and then down a bit at the end to make up the last mile) it wouldn't feel so bad...

On my way up after the first mile I wondered where I was going to get the energy or motivation to go back down... I thought about swapping today's 5-miler with tomorrow's 3-miler (and not having to go back down that road) but I knew that that was just prolonging the pain and that I would spend the rest of the day today dreading tomorrow morning's run. So, when I got to the top of the road I turned around and headed back down :mad:. I started to feel ok at about 3.5 miles but I still just wanted to stop and head home... Once I got back to the top of the road at about 4.3 miles I didn't feel so bad about having to turn back down again as I knew that I wouldn't have to go all the way down. I finished with an 11-something average so I was happy enough. I'm wondering where my post-run elation and sense of achievement has gone though. I haven't felt that in ages. I seem to be finishing all my runs feeling disappointed and disheartened these days :(.

Thursday, 04/08/2011

Distance: 5 miles
    Time: 58:19
    Average Pace: 11:40
    Breakdown: M1-11:17; M2-11:32; M3-11:51; M4-11:42; M5-11:54
    Weather: Dull, dreary, misty - good for running
    Analysis: M1-M3.5 - tough but bearable; M3.5-5 - ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I seem to be finishing all my runs feeling disappointed and disheartened these days :(.

The good runs will come too. Some days/weeks are not good. Sometimes you won't feel like running. But it will come full circle. Sure if it was enjoyable all the time, everyone would be running!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Five miles this morning and I felt totally deflated afterwards. All I could think of during the run was 'How the hell am I going to manage to run 6 miles this day next week when 5 feels like this today?!' :(

I had planned an out-and-back route of 2.5 miles each way, but instead headed to my more familiar route which is a one mile long road (0.3 miles away from my house). I figured if I ran down and up this road twice (and then down a bit at the end to make up the last mile) it wouldn't feel so bad...

Mary I'm wondering if the lack of nutrition is one of the reasons you are lacking in energy...even if you were to have a banana or a yogurt when you get up and before your get dressed and then there is something to kick start you system....

another thought for you as its always works for me it to go half your distance out the road, turn and come back and that way you don't have the mental agony of having to turn and go back down the road...maybe try it for one of your runs and see how you get on...

Keep up the good work...you'll get there and the runs actually get easier as you get the miles into the legs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

+ 1 on youngannes point and also are you getting enough rest/sleep? With young kids and getting up so early that can't be easy.

Last year when I was DCM training I made my in between easy recovery runs really easy.... left the watch at home, and moved so slow it almost didn't feel like running, sometimes my easy runs would be a walk:p. If I met a neighbour I would stop and talk.....rest and recovery are as important as the long/ medium runs. Mind you my DCM time was pretty dire :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

Thanks so much, Mr Abbey. I had given up on the treadmill after last week's disastrous run and it never even dawned on me to go by time instead of miles (all this running is obviously affecting the common sense side of my brain :rolleyes:). I have been getting worried about how I will fit in midweek runs before work once it starts getting too dark in the mornings. I had totally ruled out the treadmill after last week's run so thanks a million for your post :).

No probs, glad to a little help. Good luck with the training, will enjoy keeping up with your progress as my training hopefully progresses as well!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I am going to have to start looking into nutrition more and definitely getting more sleep :).

My left outer shin and left knee were very tight yesterday and got progressively worse during the day. My left knee has actually been a little swollen since my LSR last Sunday. I know that it's my ITB and that I really do need to stretch it more.

I wasn't sure when going to bed last night if I should go out for my 3-miler this morning or not but decided that I should try it anyway and stop if I needed to. It was really aching as I lay in bed though and it was very uncomfortable so I decided to rest it instead of running on it. I set my alarm clock for an hour later as I didn't have to get up and run - yippee!! :D - but when I did get up this morning it felt fine and I was annoyed that I had missed my run :mad:.

It wasn't long kicking in again though and I know from walking on it now that I need to do something about it as an LSR on Sunday could do some damage. I will try to make an appointment for this evening to sort it out...

I went to my chiropractor to get my leg sorted out on Friday evening and, as I suspected, it's a problem with my ITB. The large muscles in my lower back, upper backside are very tender though. These are the main muscles that support the upper body and they have been getting some abuse with my increase in mileage in the past few weeks. Although I have no problems with them (they only feel tender to the touch), he said that unless treated they will lead to problems further on in my training. I'm so glad this has been spotted early and that I can prevent an injury that was waiting to happen.

I didn't run on Saturday and decided to do my 7-miler step-back LSR on Sunday instead. When I woke up on Sunday it was lashing rain and I really didn't want to get out of bed :(. I thought about doing the run on Monday morning, later in the day on the treadmill, and even not doing it at all :eek:, but I eventually did get up and headed out at 6.

I started off in a fine drizzle and it was actually quite nice to run in. There was no wind and the morning was quite warm. I felt that I was running faster than usual in my first mile but because I was feeling ok with it I didn't bother slowing down the pace. I figured that maybe I'm meant to run in the rain as it was my easiest mile 1 to date :).

It started bucketing down for mile 2 but it had stopped completely by mile 3. I actually found it enjoyable to run in the rain as it took my focus off the running somehow. At around mile 3 I realised that I hadn't looked at my watch at all yet and that I was very relaxed. I then decided not to look at my watch for as long as possible and use it as a 'treat' when I started to feel tired (I usually pick a point up ahead and say to myself 'ok, once you reach that point you can look at your watch' :p).

I really enjoyed those first few miles and felt that this was some kind of breakthrough morning as I felt strong and easy on my feet. At the point where I reached last week's awful 5-mile mark (when I realised that I was only halfway there :mad:) I heard my watch beep and I looked at it without thinking. I heard the beep again and realised that it was a bird tweeting :rolleyes: and my watch read 4:69. I had thought that I was at the 5-mile mark but I realised that I had added in a run out onto a pier and back last week which I didn't do this week and so I felt the wind taken out of my sails. All of a sudden I felt tired and wanted to go home (damn watch :mad:).

I heard it beep again for the 5-mile mark (not a bird this time) and when I saw that I had done that last mile in under 11 (10:57) it was such a great boost. The final two miles were lovely and I didn't feel completely shattered afterwards. I was delighted too that I felt absolutely no niggles during the run. I resolved to start doing strength training and to visit my chiropractor at the first sign of any problem from now on.

Sunday, 07/08/2011

Distance: 7 miles
    Time: 1:19:02
    Average Pace: 11:17
    Breakdown: M1-10:56; M2-12:00; M3-11:39; M4-10:45; M5-10:57; M6-11:18; M7-11:22
    Weather: Drizzle followed by heavy rain for first 3 miles and then a bright, pleasant morning
    Analysis: M1–M4.69 – good; M4.69-M5 - horrible :D; M6-M7 - good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

I went to my chiropractor to get my leg sorted out on Friday evening and, as I suspected, it's a problem with my ITB. The large muscles in my lower back, upper backside are very tender though. These are the main muscles that support the upper body and they have been getting some abuse with my increase in mileage in the past few weeks.

Did chiropractor say it was ok for you to run? Where you not told to rest?

I think my back is at me coz I increased my speed a bit and havent been stopping for breaks.

Well done you are still doing fantastic! reading your log is making me hold on and not give up on running!

Hi Ilovered,

No, my chiropractor has never told me not to run - yay :D! Anytime I have gone to a physio before, the standard seems to be 'rest for 5 days' or whatever. Chiropractic seems to take more of a whole-body approach and listening to your body more.

My husband got injured a couple of days before a half marathon a couple of years ago and posted on boards how disappointed he was that he couldn't run. A chiropractor came on and told him that he didn't think his injury was reason not to race. As he was based in Galway (as are we) my husband saw him the day before the race and had no problems doing the half-marathon!

I have been going to the same practice of chiropractors now since I started running and I really like their approach. A huge bonus is that while working on the muscle they believe you should feel discomfort and not pain. Physio to me means pain :eek:.

You should definitely have your back checked out. It has been playing up for a while now and you should have it looked at. You'd never know, it may be something that's easily remedied and you could be back running in no time. I know that my chiropractor believes in keeping exercising to keep the muscles strong. I was lucky that he discovered the tenderness in my lower back in time and can work on it now before it causes problems. He said that I was heading for an injury with it and that that can be prevented now :). You may have the same problem as me. He said that they are the two large muscles that keep the body upright and that they take a pounding while running. You're better off taking action and finding out what's wrong or you'll drive yourself crazy not being able to run. Best of luck with it and hopefully it will all be sorted asap.

Maybe I should see a chiropractor then instead of physio; I will look into it.

I had SPD on both my babies so my pelvis is weak from that and it is causing the pain as far as I know!

Your ITB doesn’t hurt when you run so? I thought ITB was in your leg?:rolleyes:

I don’t think its the same, I went for a run on Friday only done a mile and it hurt too much couldn’t possible go on.

Strange though coz I could dance the night away on Saturday!

Thanks Mary, I will get it looked into!

• Advertisement

I had no pain in my ITB (the thin band of muscle between the knee and hip - chiropractor told me on Friday, that's how I know ;)) but because it was tight it was causing the pain in my lower leg it seems. It was only when he was working on this that he noticed how tender the muscles in my lower back were. I had no idea I had a problem there until he touched my lower back and it was really painful to the touch.
    ILOVERED wrote: »
    Strange though coz I could dance the night away on Saturday!

Glad to see that you're keeping up with your cross-training though :D.

Glad to see that you're keeping up with your cross-training though :D.

I think I just numbed the pain with alot of alchol!!:eek: maybe if i drink loads before my next run! :p

ILOVERED wrote: »
    I think I just numbed the pain with alot of alchol!!:eek: maybe if i drink loads before my next run! :p

Yes, maybe a vodka and redbull wouldn't be such a bad idea before a run - happy, pain-free and lots of energy :D

I had to fit my 3-miler in before 6 this morning as my husband had a long training session to do before I went to work. As it was still quite dark at 5.30 I went on the treadmill in the shed. I did 35 minutes while watching an episode and a half of the American version of The Office. It definitely felt tougher than doing a 3-miler on the road but it's great to have the option of doing this when it's too dark to run outside and it helps to have the distraction of tv. I have a 6-miler tomorrow morning which will be a challenge to fit in as I won't be able to head out until 5.45 when it's bright enough. I think that I will be seeing plenty American sitcoms in the weeks to come :rolleyes:.

I couldn't believe that it was pitch black this morning when my alarm went at 5.10 :(. I had a 6-miler to do and so I headed into the shed and onto the treadmill. I'd much prefer to do such a long run outside but I'm glad to have the option of the treadmill when an outside run is not possible.

I decided to go with the time of my last 6-miler which was 1 hour 11 minutes. I got through two episodes of The Office USA :o and didn't know if I could face a third (or rather, face another 26 minutes on the treadmill) and so I headed out.

It was pouring rain and very windy but it felt great being out after running on the spot for 45 minutes. I felt very light, strong and was moving at a faster pace than usual (well, I felt that I was anyway, maybe it had something to do with the fact that I hadn't been moving anywhere for 3/4 of an hour :p).

I ran 13 minutes out on my usual 3-mile route and 13 minutes back to bring me to 1:11. For some reason I don't feel like I did my 6-miler this morning. I did run for 1 hour 11 minutes so I don't know why I feel like I cheated :(. I did run really slowly on the treadmill but it's not like I sprint when I'm on the road.

A 3-miler tomorrow morning and I will definitely be doing that outside. I just hope that the weather allows me to do my 12-miler outside on Saturday morning :eek:. As usual, I am already getting anxious about my long run...

Wednesday, 10/08/2011

Distance: 6 virtual miles ;)
    Time: 1:11:16
    Average Pace: N/A
    Breakdown: N/A
    Weather: Wet, windy, dark
    Analysis: Relatively pain-free

I didn't get up yesterday morning for my 3-miler and I really paid for it yesterday evening... I put my 1-yr-old to bed and brought my 3-yr-old out to the shed with me to do it on the treadmill after work. I put tv on for him and he was delighted with the novelty of watching tv in the shed and I started with a warmup and felt totally fine.

I then started running and had only put in about 2 mins when my knee gave in. This has happened before on the treadmill (IT band issue again) and I had to stop. I was really p***ed off and decided to try and walk on the treadmill (so I felt that I was doing something at least) but I knew that I would be better off resting it so I headed back into the house to sit and watch tv and sulk :mad:.

I don't feel anything in it while walking or on the stairs which is a good sign. I know that it's not a big issue as I've had it so often now but I'm only hoping that it will be ok for my 12-miler tomorrow. Fingers crossed...

Sorry to hear this Mary but glad you know its not a big issue and it will be ok. I am sure it will be easier outside.

I have children in the same age group as you ( 1 and 4), and these use to be my excuse for not getting much running done or getting out early!!! Will have to find a different excuse now knowing your able to do it!! :D

Good luck with 12 miles tomorrow

Hi Mary,
    I hope you are feeling better now and that you get out for your 12 miler. I'm planning mine for Sunday morning, but I missed 1 run this week(morning after sisters wedding and & no free to mind my 3 ages 8, 5 & 2) so i swapped my 3 mile yesterday for a 5 mile instead and had planned on going for 3 mile today but legs were sore at lunchtime as i do kettle-bells on Thursday nights so I will try get out for 3 mile with the dog this evening when I get home from work.

Do you know the stretches for the IT band,(Google it and they will come up) Sorry I don't know how to attach links etcs. I get problems with IT Band too but not when I'm actually running just when I finish or when I'm lying on it at night!!!

My knee was so sore on Friday night that I knew that running on it could only make it worse. I really wanted to get my LSR out of the way though but my husband convinced me to wait until Sunday to give it a chance to heal a bit more. I reluctantly decided to postpone my run but knew that I didn't have much choice really.

It felt ok when I got up on Saturday morning but as the day progressed it just got worse. By Saturday afternoon I could barely walk on it and I went in to Elvery's and bought a really heavy, strong strap for it and put it on straight away. I felt really sorry for myself limping up the street (as I couldn't bend my knee :p) and was seeing my marathon slipping away :rolleyes:

By Saturday evening I could definitely feel an improvement and when I was going to bed I was much more hopeful as the pain had subsided considerably. I decided to test the waters in the morning and head out as planned.

When I got up this morning my knee felt fine but I was very suspicious of the lack of pain. I did some warm-up exercises and headed out. I felt great as I couldn't even feel the slightest twinge in my knee. I did make a huge mistake however :(. Because I felt so good I headed out much more quickly than I should have.

By the time I had finished my first mile in 10.43 I was out of breath. This left me struggling with mile 2 and suffering very badly in mile 3. I wondered how the hell I was going to run one more mile, never mind 9 :(. I was so disappointed with my times in miles 2 and 3 and had to cop myself on to continue. I made a decision to stop looking at my watch and to take it very easy. Things got a little bit more bearable in mile 4 but I was struggling up hills that I hadn't noticed before. I was very aware in mile 5 that I usually feel pretty good on this part of the road but no so today.

I had planned to do my usual LSR route with a large loop added on to it. I knew from driving it in the car though that it only added 4 miles and that I would have to add a good bit on at the end after reaching my road home. Normally, this wouldn’t bother me, but today all I wanted to do was go home so I couldn’t face reaching home and having to continue running.

So, instead of adding in the 4-mile loop, I decided to continue on to 6 miles and turn back home. Once I got to 5.5 miles though there was a hill ahead of me and I couldn’t face it so I turned around. I immediately felt better. I didn’t think the ‘out and back’ would make any difference to me but knowing that I was on my way home was great :).

At about mile 6 I started to tire again but then it started to rain and it felt really nice. The rain really distracted me and I felt like a real martyr being out there in the downpour:p. It didn't last long but it really got me going again. Mile 7 was fine (I think it was anyway, I don’t really remember it :o) but I had to walk up some hills for mile 8. Mile 9 was awful. My knees really started to hurt (not the pain on the outer knee from my ITB but right in the core of both my knees). I couldn’t imagine being able to do 2 more miles and I had to walk again on a part of the road that has a really rough surface. What got me through those rough miles though was being grateful that I was able to be out there at all, having barely been able to walk yesterday…

Just when I started to run again and feel very sorry for myself the rain came back to help me out. I don’t know why, but it really takes my mind off everything. I forgot about the pain in my knees and before I knew it I was at 11 miles. One more mile to go but I was very close to home. I knew that I would have to run past my road but, seeing as it was only one more mile, I didn’t mind too much.

The first half of that last mile was ok but the second half was very painful on my knees. I felt aerobically fine but my legs couldn’t take anymore. My upper body could have definitely continued on a bit more (minus my head maybe :rolleyes:) but my legs had had enough. 2 hours and 28 minutes was just about breaking point for them :(

I am now going around with two wonky knees but at least I know it’s not an injury just the result of a lot of abuse. I’m glad to have done the 12 miles and thrilled that I got through it injury-free. I am now very apprehensive though of what’s ahead.

Sunday, 14/08/2011

Distance: 12 miles
    Time: 2:28:01
    Average Pace: 12:19
    Breakdown: M1-10:43; M2-11:50; M3-12:37; M4-12:00; M5-11:46; M6-11:52; M7-11:58; M8-12:28; M9-13:13; M10-13:33; M11-12:55; M12-13:04
    Weather: Dull, breezy, two light showers, sunny for last mile
    Analysis: M1–ok; M2-very tough; M3-very, very tough; M4-M6 – tough; M7-ok; M8-tough; M9-M10-hell; M11-tough; M12-very tough

My knee was so sore on Friday night that I knew that running on it could only make it worse. I really wanted to get my LSR out of the way though but my husband convinced me to wait until Sunday to give it a chance to heal a bit more. I reluctantly decided to postpone my run but knew that I didn't have much choice really.

It felt ok when I got up on Saturday morning but as the day progressed it just got worse. By Saturday afternoon I could barely walk on it and I went in to Elvery's and bought a really heavy, strong strap for it and put it on straight away. I felt really sorry for myself limping up the street (as I couldn't bend my knee :p) and was seeing my marathon slipping away :rolleyes:

By Saturday evening I could definitely feel an improvement and when I was going to bed I was much more hopeful as the pain had subsided considerably. I decided to test the waters in the morning and head out as planned.

When I got up this morning my knee felt fine but I was very suspicious of the lack of pain. I did some warm-up exercises and headed out. I felt great as I couldn't even feel the slightest twinge in my knee. I did make a huge mistake however :(. Because I felt so good I headed out much more quickly than I should have.

By the time I had finished my first mile in 10.43 I was out of breath. This left me struggling with mile 2 and suffering very badly in mile 3. I wondered how the hell I was going to run one more mile, never mind 9 :(. I was so disappointed with my times in miles 2 and 3 and had to cop myself on to continue. I made a decision to stop looking at my watch and to take it very easy. Things got a little bit more bearable in mile 4 but I was struggling up hills that I hadn't noticed before. I was very aware in mile 5 that I usually feel pretty good on this part of the road but no so today.

I had planned to do my usual LSR route with a large loop added on to it. I knew from driving it in the car though that it only added 4 miles and that I would have to add a good bit on at the end after reaching my road home. Normally, this wouldn’t bother me, but today all I wanted to do was go home so I couldn’t face reaching home and having to continue running.

So, instead of adding in the 4-mile loop, I decided to continue on to 6 miles and turn back home. Once I got to 5.5 miles though there was a hill ahead of me and I couldn’t face it so I turned around. I immediately felt better. I didn’t think the ‘out and back’ would make any difference to me but knowing that I was on my way home was great :).

At about mile 6 I started to tire again but then it started to rain and it felt really nice. The rain really distracted me and I felt like a real martyr being out there in the downpour:p. It didn't last long but it really got me going again. Mile 7 was fine (I think it was anyway, I don’t really remember it :o) but I had to walk up some hills for mile 8. Mile 9 was awful. My knees really started to hurt (not the pain on the outer knee from my ITB but right in the core of both my knees). I couldn’t imagine being able to do 2 more miles and I had to walk again on a part of the road that has a really rough surface. What got me through those rough miles though was being grateful that I was able to be out there at all, having barely been able to walk yesterday…

Just when I started to run again and feel very sorry for myself the rain came back to help me out. I don’t know why, but it really takes my mind off everything. I forgot about the pain in my knees and before I knew it I was at 11 miles. One more mile to go but I was very close to home. I knew that I would have to run past my road but, seeing as it was only one more mile, I didn’t mind too much.

The first half of that last mile was ok but the second half was very painful on my knees. I felt aerobically fine but my legs couldn’t take anymore. My upper body could have definitely continued on a bit more (minus my head maybe :rolleyes:) but my legs had had enough. 2 hours and 28 minutes was just about breaking point for them :(

I am now going around with two wonky knees but at least I know it’s not an injury just the result of a lot of abuse. I’m glad to have done the 12 miles and thrilled that I got through it injury-free. I am now very apprehensive though of what’s ahead.

Sunday, 14/08/2011

Distance: 12 miles
    Time: 2:28:01
    Average Pace: 12:19
    Breakdown: M1-10:43; M2-11:50; M3-12:37; M4-12:00; M5-11:46; M6-11:52; M7-11:58; M8-12:28; M9-13:13; M10-13:33; M11-12:55; M12-13:04
    Weather: Dull, breezy, two light showers, sunny for last mile
    Analysis: M1–ok; M2-very tough; M3-very, very tough; M4-M6 – tough; M7-ok; M8-tough; M9-M10-hell; M11-tough; M12-very tough

I enjoyed the rain today too coming and going, and you do feel a bit like a proper athlete when your out fighting the elements and others are running for cover! :D

well done on your 12 miler! cant ever see me doing that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Well done Mary. You really are a trooper continuing to the end even when it feels like a struggle from the get go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Well done on the run Mary (and again for remembering it all to post it, it is always a blur to me afterwards!)

I hope your knee is okay, are you going to go get it checked (I hear swimming is supposed to be great for niggles, Ilovered would tell you more...;))

But seriously, well done you are doing great. I enjoyed the rain today too, especially after the heat on Friday. Rain distracts me too although today I had my marathon talk podcast which I find great on long runs, have you listened to them? Probably even better for people who are actually doing marathons!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

How are your knees now MaryS? Hope you're ok? That sounded like one tough run!

Mary, Well done for getting throught the run, you had a grt battle there with yourself so fair play for winning it...i had no rain for my LSR of 12 m Sunday morning but the sun was nice....not too hot and no flies this week!!!
    Having said that i went out after 8 on Friday evening for 4 m and when i turned at 2m to come bac the heavens opened.....it didn't stop..my 8yr was on the bike and was having difficulty and the dog hates the rain so i had to drag her home for 2 mile..needless to say i didn't enjoy that run but usualy don't mind the rain!!

Mary, I hope your knee is improving and you are not too bad after the LSR...
    I'm away for a few days and havn't got my run in yet today so hope to get out later b4 dinner!!

I didn't run yesterday and was apprehensive about going on the treadmill this morning. I upped the incline and this made a huge difference to me. I didn't feel that my feet were slapping so much and therefore didn't feel the same pressure on my knees.

I did a nice steady 50 mins and would have continued but my husband had his training to do aswell before I headed to work. For the moment I'm going to consider this as my 3-miler and do my 6-miler (or 1:11 on the treadmill) tomorrow morning. It's another week of missing a run and I always feel crap on the days I'm supposed to run but don't :mad:.

I'm anxious about the Frank Duffy 10 Mile on Saturday as I have 3 miles to run before it. I hope my knees hold up :(. I know that part of the solution to solving my knee problem is to lose some weight, which I have been planning on doing (since last January :rolleyes:). I suppose I was hoping that the marathon training alone would do it for me and that I could eat as much as I wanted so long as I kept training - looks like it doesn't work that way :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I'm anxious about the Frank Duffy 10 Mile on Saturday as I have 3 miles to run before it. I hope my knees hold up :(. I know that part of the solution to solving my knee problem is to lose some weight, which I have been planning on doing (since last January :rolleyes:). I suppose I was hoping that the marathon training alone would do it for me and that I could eat as much as I wanted so long as I kept training - looks like it doesn't work that way :P.

I'm in the same boat ! I'm still the same size I was at the beginning of the summer! I guess I can't eat what I want just because I'm running. I lost weight last year when I was running and watching my diet and it really helped the knees. It definitely makes running easier when you lose weight. It's my next goal... To only indulge in desserts etc at the weekend. I'm still on my holidays now so but when I go back to work next week, I'm going to try and stick to that routine till Christmas!

Hope you still make it to Frank Duffy. The buzz of running with people really will help you! :)

dolliemix wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat ! I'm still the same size I was at the beginning of the summer! I guess I can't eat what I want just because I'm running. I lost weight last year when I was running and watching my diet and it really helped the knees. It definitely makes running easier when you lose weight. It's my next goal... To only indulge in desserts etc at the weekend. I'm still on my holidays now so but when I go back to work next week, I'm going to try and stick to that routine till Christmas!

Hope you still make it to Frank Duffy. The buzz of running with people really will help you! :)

Thanks Dolliemix. So good to hear that losing weight actually does help the knees. I have no excuse to lay off the chocolate (and bread, and biscuits, and...) now. Had planned on starting my healthy eating on Monday but I've done that every Monday for the past year and it didn't work :rolleyes: so I'm starting today.

I'm really looking forward to the run on Saturday (I'm sure this will probably turn to nerves by tomorrow evening and a panic attack by Saturday morning :o). I read on the DCM Novices Thread that it should do instead of the long run (13 miles) on Saturday but that just doesn't seem right. I'm going to run in to the Phoenix Park from the hotel and then do the race, to make up the 13 miles. Hopefully I won't be too shattered to finish the 10 miles :rolleyes:.

It was back on the treadmill this morning for my 6-miler. I planned on doing 1:11 as this is the average time it takes me to do a 6-miler on the road but I wasn't sure how I would last that long on the treadmill.

But, as it happened, it wasn't so bad at all :). Upping the incline has made such a difference to me. My calves were a bit tired at first yesterday but I didn't feel that today. Watching tv really helps and I didn't feel the time passing.

For some strange reason though I stopped the treadmill at 1:10 instead of 1:11 :confused:. It was only afterwards that I remembered I was supposed to do 1:11. The tv programme had just finished and I wasn't thinking straight so that must be it - is there such a thing as runner's brain or is it just pregnancy brain 17 months postpartum :o?

Happy to have done the run and really happy that the treadmill isn't as painful (literally) as it has been, because most of my midweek runs will be done on it in the weeks to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm going to run in to the Phoenix Park from the hotel and then do the race, to make up the 13 miles. Hopefully I won't be too shattered to finish the 10 miles :rolleyes:.

If you really want to run the 13 miles, race the 10 first and jog back to the hotel afterwards. Running 3 miles before the race will use some of your energy, slow you down in the race.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    If you really want to run the 13 miles, race the 10 first and jog back to the hotel afterwards. Running 3 miles before the race will use some of your energy, slow you down in the race.

I can already see me making every excuse during the last few miles of the race not to do that - 'I've just run a race, I deserve a rest now' :D. If there's any hope of me doing the 13 miles Ray I'll have to run the 3 beforehand (I'll have no excuse not to do the race, having only run 3 miles :)).

Another option would be to do 1 and 1/2 before and after, but I still can't see me running another step after the finish line.

I don't mind being slow in the race as I'm not looking to finish it in any particular time, just to get it done. So long as I'm not last :(, but if I am I will have the excuse of having run 3 miles (or 1 and a half) beforehand ;)

Advertisement