Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

My motivation has completely lapsed again :(. I know that it's because I had a very slack week last week and only did 18 of the 24 miles I was supposed to. I can't imagine at this stage being able to complete a 15-miler in five days time...

I missed my third midweek run on Friday morning and almost postponed my 10-mile LSR on Saturday morning but thankfully my husband talked me into it (and that wasn't easy :o).

It was very windy (well, breezy really :rolleyes:) on Saturday morning and I was so reluctant going out the door. I didn't make it past the shed though... I figured that if I did the run on the treadmill at least I could just hop off anytime I wanted.

It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be and I got through 4 or 5 episodes of The Offfice USA which took my focus off the tedium of running on the spot. I was glad to feel my legs getting tired toward the end of the 2 hours (at least I felt that I had done something).

I've just bought a whole pile of running books online to hopefully remotivate me. I know already that Friday is going to be hell as I am going to be so anxious about my LSR on Saturday... Hopefully the books will arrive before then ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I know already that Friday is going to be hell as I am going to be so anxious about my LSR on Saturday... Hopefully the books will arrive before then ;).

I use a few ideas for motivation for my long runs: a nice route with views (not very difficult for you in Conamara!), and a roast chicken waiting for me when I come home. I think my main motivation is the feeling of satisfaction of having completed something. Motivation will come and go but stick to the plan as much as you can and the motivation will come back.

Go n-éirí leat!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

+1 on that here as well, have to say that variety in runs really helps, plus living in Conamara makes for a great set of views to run, even when the weather is bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

I use a few ideas for motivation for my long runs: a nice route with views (not very difficult for you in Conamara!), and a roast chicken waiting for me when I come home. I think my main motivation is the feeling of satisfaction of having completed something. Motivation will come and go but stick to the plan as much as you can and the motivation will come back.

Go n-éirí leat!

I like the idea of MarySamsonite coming in from her run and sitting down to a roast chicken dinner at 7:30am! She better turn on the oven before she goes to bed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

ronanmac wrote: »
    She better turn on the oven before she goes to bed!

When I was doing long runs last year my husband took over cooking duties on long run day. Just sayin' :pac:

• Advertisement

ronanmac wrote: »
    I like the idea of MarySamsonite coming in from her run and sitting down to a roast chicken dinner at 7:30am! She better turn on the oven before she goes to bed!

Some coffee and warm croissants will do thanks! (No, I'm not joking :p)

Thanks for the motivational messages everyone :). They really are a help.

Things just got worse yesterday when I slept through my alarm and missed my first run of Week 10 :(. I knew that I was going to be heading to bed in foul humour last night unless I got it done though so I headed out on to the treadmill when I got home from work at 7.30.

My runs this week are 3, 7, 4, 15. So, I had 3 miles to do yesterday according to the plan but as punishment for sleeping in :D I pushed myself to do the 7 miler (plus, I couldn't face the thought of getting up to do it this morning and I knew that if I slept in and missed it it would just be a downward spiral for me...). I definitely found it harder to push myself after a long day when all I wanted was to sit down, but I was so happy when I got it done. It really kick-started everything for me again. I am also so grateful to be injury-free at this stage of the training plan.

I had planned on getting up this morning to do my 3 or 4 miler but having been woken up by a screaming, cranky toddler :mad: at 2am and again at 4.30am I couldn't face my run this morning. I don't feel so bad about missing it though as I know that I will definitely do it this evening.

Motivation will come and go but stick to the plan as much as you can and the motivation will come back.QUOTE]

You're right, Micilín, that motivation will come and go and sticking with the plan even when feeling s**t will help to remotivate. I realised that last night after doing the run. I was in a bit of a 'what's the point?' mood for the past few days but taking action and actually doing the planned run really turned things around. Must remember to look back on this post when going through the next slump of feeling sorry for myself :D.

backspacer wrote: »
    living in Conamara makes for a great set of views to run, even when the weather is bad :)

That's true, backspacer. I drove the route of my 15-miler on Monday evening (to start the psychological preparation :D) and it involves going up Muiceanach. I realised how lucky I am to have such a lovely route close to home. There's even tiny percent of me (about 0.0005% :p) that's really looking forward to the run because it's on such a nice route.

littlebug wrote: »
    When I was doing long runs last year my husband took over cooking duties on long run day. Just sayin' :pac:

I really hope he's getting the message, Littlebug ;)!!

• Advertisement

Got my 4-miler in yesterday evening on the treadmill after work. It wasn't too bad at all. I keep expecting my knee to go on the treadmill but thankfully all is well so far. Increasing the incline has worked a treat.

After another interrupted night's sleep (I hope my 3-year old grows out of this phase quickly), I slept through my alarm and had to rush out the door to work so I missed this morning's planned 3-miler. I was quite stiff from yesterday evening's workout so not sure if running so soon again would have been a good idea anyway.

I will be late getting home this evening but will have to do my run anyway. I want tomorrow to be a day of complete rest before Saturday's big one :eek:.

That's true, backspacer. I drove the route of my 15-miler on Monday evening (to start the psychological preparation :D) and it involves going up Muiceanach. I realised how lucky I am to have such a lovely route close to home. There's even tiny percent of me (about 0.0005% :p) that's really looking forward to the run because it's on such a nice route.

I hear you on that, haven't been up Muiceanach yet myself, usually switch routes between Spiddal, Carraroe, Inverin and Salthill just for sake of variety. But you can't beat the countryside for running, just a shame the amount of street lighting is so limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

littlebug wrote: »

This is precisely the sort of reckless training advice that gives running forums a bad name :D

I got home late again last night but I think that I'm so scared of what's ahead of me on Saturday that I had no hesitation in heading to the shed to do my midweek 3-miler.

I upped the incline just a notch more and really felt it in the first 10 minutes. It was tough going but I kept at it knowing that it would add to my confidence in being able to complete my 15-miler tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Delighted to see you training away injury-free Mary. A missed run here and there will make no difference in the end. Best of luck for the 15 miler- you will do it no problem, you are strong, fit and have followed the plan- it works! I remembered training for Dublin in 09 and was terrified each time the milage went up, nearly every LSR was a new distance record for me. The thing to remember is that instead of fearing them you should try to enjoy the feeling of satisfaction of reachig those milestones as you will never have that feeling again...your first time going over 15 miles, 18 miles etc.

I had a really hectic weekend and a cold/flu all this week so I'm just posting my LSR from last week now (with much of it forgotten :rolleyes:).

I was lucky to have a fabulous morning last Saturday for my longest LSR to date - 15 miles. I had been lying awake on Friday night listening to the relentless, lashing rain and wondering how the hell I was going to go out in that in the morning. I was delighted when I woke up to silence and couldn't believe how warm it was when I went out at 6:45 am.

I took it really handy for the first mile. The second mile was much, much slower as I got a phonecall (meant for my husband, as I take his phone on runs with me as it's smaller) and spent over 2 minutes talking and walking.

I picked up the pace very slightly for mile 4 when I started to feel more comfortable. After that is a bit of a blur though... I know that mile 6 was done on a road with an awful camber and I noticed during mile 7 that the bend at the top of my foot/bottom of my left leg was aching from having been trying to keep a balance on the slope at the edge of the road for a lot of mile 6. I stretched it briefly and it eased up after that.

Miles 6-9 brought me onto a new route and it was lovely. It's a peaceful bog road and because of the very light breeze and blue sky it was very pleasant to run on. I had driven the route by car during the week and had calculated that I could turn around when I reached the graveyard.

On Saturday morning, I calculated that I should be at about 11 miles at the graveyard before my turnaround, but I was just coming up to 9 miles by the time I got sight of the graveyard and I couldn't believe that I would have to run another 2 miles past there before my turnaround (my route from home wasn't a simple out-and-back so not as easy to calculate turnaround :)). I did the calculations in my head again and was delighted to discover that I had miscalculated earliler and that, yes, indeed I could turn around at the graveyard - yippee! That was a nice boost.

Not long after turning around I came to a long drag of a hill and I decided to walk it to save energy for the rest of the run home. I walked for just under a minute and a half. It really is very hard in the later miles to start running again after a walking break. I think my muscles relax thinking that the hard work is done once I start walking and do not take too kindly to being forced to run again...

I was anxious about this run because in my head it was a jump from 12 miles to 15 instead of 13 to 15 because my 13-miler had been broken into a 3-miler and a 10-miler because of the Frank Duffy race. So, once I passed mile 13 I was delighted and that gave me another boost. I found the last two miles tough enough but certainly not the agony I had expected. I finished the 15 miles about a half a mile from home so that half mile walk was a bit of a pain. It was a good cool-down though and I definitely think it benefitted me as I felt fine for the rest of the day - no pain, niggles etc. I also had that 'high' that I have missed after my recent LSRs.

I carbo-loaded on Friday before the run (and haven't stopped since :o) and I think that it worked as I felt that I had enough energy throughout the run to bring me home. I couldn't face eating on Saturday morning before going out though so I ran on an empty stomach. I think I had stocked up well enough on Friday though ;).

From a high to a low... I have yet to run this week (and today is Thursday :(). I have had a cold and just had no energy to do anything. I was off work yesterday but I am feeling much better this morning so I hope to do some kind of a run this evening. I know this doesn't bode well for Saturday's 16-miler, but it's too late to do anything about it now...

Saturday, 02/09/2011

Distance: 15 miles
    Time: 3:03:25
    Average Pace: 12:13
    Breakdown: M1-12:12; M2-14:29 (I'm blaming the phonecall for this!); M3-12:05; M4-11:47; M5-11:54; M6-11:25; M7-11:41; M8-12:38; M9-12:14; M10-12:20; M11-12:00; M12-12:54; M13 - 11:44; M14 - 12:01; M15 - 11:54
    Weather: Bright, warm, light breeze - perfect running weather
    Analysis: M1–M15 - relaxed, pleasant and enjoyable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Not long after turning around I came to a long drag of a hill and I decided to walk it to save energy for the rest of the run home. I walked for just under a minute and a half. It really is very hard in the later miles to start running again after a walking break. I think my muscles relax thinking that the hard work is done once I start walking and do not take too kindly to being forced to run again...

Hi Mary,

This is a very important lesson for you and you are quite right in what you say. Those slow couple of early miles and the walk break up the hill after turnaround will have served you well towards the end of your run. Don't be disillusioned if any future runs which are completed without such walking breaks result in you feeling much more tired by the end of the run!

Also, the difficulty in running once again after a walking break will be even more miserable over longer runs/marathon race. Hopefully, you understand that now so the aim should be to avoid this feeling by pacing yourself correctly. This could actually mean more walking breaks earlier on rather than later in the run. If everything is left until mile 18 onwards it will be very difficult to get going again, whereas if you have a positive psychological association with walking when still fairly energetic (earlier in the race) it should diminish the negative feelings usually reserved for later in the race.

Of course, ideally you won't have to walk at all but if you do you can reflect on your training where you managed to keep going until you achieved your target distance.

Best of luck with it anyways!

belcarra wrote: »
    Of course, ideally you won't have to walk at all but if you do you can reflect on your training where you managed to keep going until you achieved your target distance.QUOTE]

Thanks Belcarra. I'm hoping to figure out a strategy with regard to walking breaks (if any) in my upcoming LSRs. Would love not to have to walk at all during the marathon, but you're right, if I am going to walk, it's best to pace myself properly and not start walking breaks in the last few miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Would love not to have to walk at all during the marathon, but you're right, if I am going to walk, it's best to pace myself properly and not start walking breaks in the last few miles.

During my last half-marathon race, I ran through the first nutrition station. The Gatorade went everywhere and I had sticky hands for the rest of the race :( I walked fast through the other stations and could have my drink properly. I reckon it slowed me down by about 10 seconds in total.

You might have a fuel belt or a bottle in your hand during your LSRs now, but what are you going to do on the day of the marathon? I'm going to rely on the stations plus some well-positioned family members along the course!

Fair play, 15 miles is a fantastic distance to cover. Don't be overly worried about little walking breaks, they're great to give the legs some recovery time to finish the run out. Sure had to do it myself the last day going up Taylor's Hill so that my legs wouldn't give out :D You're well on course anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Mary keep up the good work, you are doing great and you are getting the mileage into the legs so don't worry about the walking breaks but best get your strategy sorted and practice it on teh LSR.

While i was doing the marathon last year, i noticed a girl beside who was running and then fast power walking so she would run and then walk and she seemed to be doing great, she was along side me at the RDS so think thats at about 22m and i finished in 4.41 so it was working for her...but your really have to practice your strategy and be comfortable with it and know what you are doing.

During my last half-marathon race, I ran through the first nutrition station. The Gatorade went everywhere and I had sticky hands for the rest of the race :( I walked fast through the other stations and could have my drink properly. I reckon it slowed me down by about 10 seconds in total.

You might have a fuel belt or a bottle in your hand during your LSRs now, but what are you going to do on the day of the marathon? I'm going to rely on the stations plus some well-positioned family members along the course!

Hi Micilín, I carry a bottle with me on my LSRs and have noticed that it leads to shoulder pain :(. Will definitely have to try a bottle belt from now on.

I am doing the Race Series half-marathon next Saturday (17th) and will rely on the water stations. Will be doing the same for the full marathon.

Hi Micilín, I carry a bottle with me on my LSRs and have noticed that it leads to shoulder pain :(. Will definitely have to try a bottle belt from now on.

I am doing the Race Series half-marathon next Saturday (17th) and will rely on the water stations. Will be doing the same for the full marathon.

I had the same problem carrying a bottle over longer distances, i noticed i'd unintentionally tense up the shoulder when carrying a bottle, not good at all.

I got a water belt in Lifestyle sports for €20, its cheap and cheerful, holds about 520ml of water in three reasonably small bottles if thats any help to you.

This in the one i bought in Lifestyle http://www.jjbsports.com/adidas%20run%20multi%20bottle%20belt/popular-sports/shop/fcp-product/24241

I got up at 6am on Saturday morning to do my 16 mile LSR. My plan was to get dressed, hydrate and head out the minute it got bright (probably around 6:45). I had my running gear on and was about to put on my runners when I realised that what I was feeling wasn't the usual dread of a long run (which comes from a physical/mental laziness) but a knowledge that my body just couldn't cope with this today.

I felt very dehydrated and stuffed up from the cold and I had absolutely no energy. I stood (in a half-daze), for what seemed like an age, wondering what my options were. I knew that heading miles from home was not a good idea because it was very likely that I would have to stop and phone for a lift home. I thought about doing half the run on the treadmill and then doing the second 8 miles outside which would mean not having to go so far from home that I couldn't walk back if I felt the need to. Then I thought about doing the whole thing on the treadmill :eek:. At about 6:30 I headed back to bed...

I spent all of Saturday morning wondering if I was going to get any run done at all in Week 11 and, because I hadn't been running, I was feeling very pessimistic about the marathon seeing as my next run of increased mileage in two weeks time (this is a step-back week) would mean a jump from 15 to 18 miles :(.

On hearing on Saturday afternoon that the weather was due to get much worse on Sunday I googled 'long runs on the treadmill' and couldn't believe that so many people do their LSRs on the treadmill (mostly Americans who have no choice because of extreme heat or extreme cold outside). Most, of course, hated it. But, there were one or two who loved it because it meant that they didn't have to worry about carrying water with them and they could take toilet breaks whenever they needed to. I was delighted to read that people have indeed done 16 miles on the treadmill and haven't died of boredom. To me, it meant that I was going to get my run done (whatever about the weather or my flu). Even if I still felt under the weather on Sunday morning, I could try the run and stop if I really needed to (without having to face a long walk home :)).

I still didn't feel great when I got up on Sunday morning so I took two Nurofen Cold & Flu. It was great to be able to fill a large water bottle instead of the smaller one I take out on the road with me (as I could put two sports drink tablets instead of one in it - I was going to need all the energy I could get).

It was pitch black when I got on the treadmill at 6:00 am. Thankfully there's a tv in front of the treadmill connected to a hard-drive loaded with tv series and films. I watched four episodes of The Office USA (my treadmill staple!) which brought me over the half-way mark. I was sick of tv by then but knew that I needed the distraction to get me through the rest of the run. I decided to try a film and started to watch The Notebook. I managed about 15 minutes of it (not my kind of film :rolleyes:) and it was probably the most painful part of the run :D. It was definitely tedious running on the spot but I felt no niggles or over-tiredness.

I watched two episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm to bring me to the end of the run. I had planned on doing 3 hours 12 minutes (which is a 16-miler at 12 minute pace). As the second episode of Curb hadn't finished at 3:12 I continued on to 3:15.

I felt absolutely fine after the run (which really worried me as I felt that I had cheated somehow :confused:). I had no aches or pains or exhaustion. I realised later in the day that the ibuprofen I had taken for my cold was most likely the reason for this.

Knowing that all my midweek runs from now on will be done on the treadmill I had been wondering how the hell I was going to manage my longest mideweek run (a 10-miler - or 2 hours for me) on the treadmill. Now I know that it will be a luxury to stop at 2 hours :D. Having spent over 3 hours running on the spot yesterday, I am definitely not dreading this week's midweek runs as much (48 mins/1:36/48 mins) and running outside for my LSR on Saturday (the Race Series Half-Marathon) will be nice (I hope :o).

Saturday, 11/09/2011

Distance: 16 (and a tiny bit :p) miles
    Time: 3:15:00
    Average Pace: N/A
    Breakdown: N/A
    Weather: Gale, rain, dark
    Analysis: Good - definitely not as bad as anticipated!

Fair play to you Mary that's fantastic to be able to run 16 m on the treadmill. I cant do anything over 5 but then if i got a tv i might manage a bit more.

I haven't run all week due to a viral infection with is headaches, body aches and constant dizzy head, so mind yourself, if you are not feeling physically well then don't run...you were right to leave the run from Sat to Sun. You will have no bother in the half on Saturday.. i hope to be fit enough to do it.

Well done!

I honestly considered doing the same thing this weekend, but between the flu and everything else, the idea of 11 miles on a treadmill filled me with dread. Ever since i took to the road, the idea of a treadmill doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, so well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Well done getting the 16 miles done Mary AND recovering from the flu. You are a true athlete!

Good luck this week preparing for Half. I'm taking it easy with the running and eating everything around me as preparation and loving it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Holy moly 16 miles on the treadmill:eek: I think I might have done 10 miles once... but 16! That's dedication!

I feel really badly about how little I have run in the past two weeks :(. I still have my cold and blamed this for not getting up for my 4-miler on Tuesday morning. I blamed it again for not getting up for my 8-miler yesterday morning... and on it goes.

I have also had a return of the pain below my left knee which had me limping a couple of weeks ago. It didn't worry me too much as I know that I was in pain with it then but managed to get rid of it with compression/ice and still do my LSR the following day.

I was limping badly with it yesterday morning after getting up, despite the fact that I had compression on it on Tuesday night in bed. Still, I was feeling a bit panicky yesterday about missing so many midweek runs and so I started to kit out for my 8-miler yesterday evening after work. My knee actually felt fine but then I turned on it somehow and knew that going on the treadmill wasn't such a good idea after all.

I decided to keep a knee brace on it and rest it until morning. I used the foam roller on my ITB (as I presumed this was just more of my ITB problem) and it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be (it was definitely more stressful on my upper arms than on my leg :o). I later did some massaging on the painful area and realised that the muscle stretching down from the pain to my ankle was actually very tender. I then realised (a real eureka moment :)) that it had nothing to do with my ITB and was actually a shin splint (so obvious now :rolleyes:). I stretched the muscle and was glad to be able to isolate it as it really felt like this was helping.

This morning I was determined to try to run on it no matter what. I found it really hard to get up but I knew that I needed to do some kind of a run before Saturday's race. My knee felt ok but was a bit iffy once I started the run. For some reason the treadmill felt very flat and so I upped the incline another notch (to 2.5) and the pain disappeared immediately :confused:. I really struggled for the first 3 miles. I had planned on doing the 5-miler I was due to do today anyway but try for the 8 I was supposed to do yesterday if I could. I couldn't believe how unfit I felt though and felt stupid for being so blasé about Saturday. I stopped at 5 (telling myself that I shouldn't put too much pressure on my knee/that I was running out of time/that I should rest for Saturday, and so on...).

My plan now is to get some kind of bandage for the area that's bothering me below my knee (the knee brace isn't giving me enough support/compression as the area of pain is quite small). Also, I plan on taking some ibuprofen before the half-marathon on Saturday (and I may wear the bandage - not sure if this would be of any benefit?).

My biggest worry at the moment though is not how my knee is going to bear up during the 13 mile run on Saturday but how the hell it's going to bear up during an entire day of high heels tomorrow :eek:. I have avoided high heels for the past few months for fear of injury (I don't have great balance :o) but there's no way I'm going to a wedding in flats :cool:.

Glad I got today's run done but feel a little out of shape having missed so many runs. Once again (how many times is this now :rolleyes:) I am declaring that I will not miss any more midweek runs (come hell or high heel injuries)...

• Advertisement

Mary, enjoy the wedding but kick off the high heels after the first few dances and save your legs for Sat.....

your running on the treadmill gave me inspiration to go on mine, I haven't been on it for nearly a year....but I have sinus infection and I'm on antibiotics, and hadn't run since a 5m on Tue 6th, so after reading your post about your 16m on the treadmill I set myself up on Monday evening, the laptop on wireless so I could watch something on the player, and the knowledge that I could stop any-time if I wasn't feeling up to it....but i managed to do my 5m.... i felt like i was running much faster than i do outside even thought i was set at my 11 pm pace and the time just flew by. i gave tues a miss as the base of my back was very sore, which I think was from having the incline on at 2% for the full 5m and then last night i did a 3m at PMP. i ventured out today for my 5 and felt really good to be back outside....but thank you for the inspiration and i have no excuse for missing any runs now....

Enjoy Saturdays half, i hope the wind and the rain stay away....i don't mind running in the rain, once its not raining while we are standing waiting for the start and get cold!!!!

Advertisement