Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to Marathon

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck Mary. You have worked so hard over the last few weeks and months, you deserve a great day. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

All the best tomorrow Mary, just go out and enjoy it and knock it out of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Congratulations, Marathoner!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I hope it went well for you today Mary, i didn't get a chance to wish you well over the weekend....im happy bunny got my target (4.28 ish)

Looking forward to your report, they are alway so detail, i can't remember what mile was what;)

But most of all i hope you enjoyed the experience!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bubblypinky

I hope yesterday went well for you Mary? I found the course ok up until mile 21, then twas a mental battle to keep going!!! Was delighted with my time (4.22) Couldn't believe the amount of support along the way, it defo kept me going!!! Dying to see your race report, here's to next year!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Hi Mary
    I hope Monday DCM went well for you, I am looking forward to reading your report!!

Where are you Mary? Im dying to hear how you got on. Hope all is ok.

Likewise Mary, Hope everything is ok and you are still on a high and can't type!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I've blocked off about 3 hours on Wednesday morning so I can read this really really epically long marathon report!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

I have many excuses for my silence on boards over the past week since the marathon – the lingering chest infection (finally got antibiotics today…), a weekend away from home (again last weekend…), a toddler with a nasty virus, no internet access, etc. (and yes, there are etcs.!!). But, finally, here is my race report, which I started to write last week (thankfully, as I’ve forgotten lots of details since…).

Well, I did it! I finished the marathon and I’m both elated and deflated after it! I am delighted at having achieved my goal, but I also feel a sort of vacuum now that it’s all over…

I wasn’t nervous during the couple days before the marathon, as I had expected to be. I was always anxious for days before a long run and I kept expecting the nerves to kick in but they didn’t. I did get a little anxious for a few minutes when leaving work on Friday evening, knowing that the next time I saw my marathon plan on the wall it would all be over :eek: That only lasted briefly, however, and I had a great night’s sleep on Friday and Saturday night.

I headed to Dublin with my OH on Sunday and collected my number at the expo. It was strange being there as a competitor, as opposed to being there for the past two years as a spectator. I spent the day drinking a carbohydrate drink (it was easier than drinking gallons of water, as I’m not great with drinking H2O).

I still had my chest infection and it kept me awake for about an hour on Sunday night as I was constantly coughing. I eventually took some cough medicine and slept really well.

I got up at about 7 on Monday morning and had some toast for breakfast. I got dressed, watched some tv, took some ibuprofen and headed down to the race. My OH came with me and it was only on the way down that I got really nervous. Once I got there though, I relaxed again. I went to the toilet (no queues!) and took two gels – one at 9.45 and one at 9.50. I had one last dramatic cough (and got some very concerned looks :o) and felt an awful pain in my chest :eek: It disappeared again straight away and I ruled out a heart attack :p

I couldn’t believe that the race started on time (seeing as there were so many runners) and I started to walk up to the start line. I then remembered that I hadn’t turned my Garmin on. It was still trying to locate a satellite as I crossed the line – dam! I decided then to just start it at the mile mark. I was very conscious of starting off really slowly and didn’t make the mistake of getting carried off with the crowds this time as I did in the HM.

I found the first three miles quite tough as I was feeling very light-headed for some reason. I started to feel a bit better in mile 4 but I didn’t really settle into the run until mile 7 in the Phoenix Park. I couldn’t believe how quiet it was, even with so many runners around. At about that point also I felt a pull in the back of my right leg (hamstring, glutes area) which was unfamiliar to me. I was sure that this was going to be an issue later in the race.

The pain disappeared as I left the Park and I was looking forward to heading on to unfamiliar routes. I don’t know Dublin at all so most of the time I had no idea where I was, but it was great to do some sightseeing (at this stage of the run anyway :)). I had decided to walk through water-stations and any steep hill (not many of them luckily!) and to take a gel every half an hour after the first hour. The next few miles felt fine and it was great to see my OH at various places en route. He had his bike with him and it was such a boost to see him so often (5 times in total, even when it started to bucket down!).

I felt pretty ok passing the HM mark and the gels definitely gave me the energy boost I needed to continue on. To be honest, I can’t really give a breakdown of miles, but I did find it tough. I do have a memory of mile 20 though and thinking how good I was feeling. I kept expecting the wall, but luckily I didn’t hit it. I knew what it was like from the HM in September but thankfully (probably because of the gels) I didn’t hit it this time (not quite anyway…).

Once I got to mile 23 I had had enough. It wasn’t the wall I’d been expecting, but I did want to just stop and walk – and I did. It was at about that stage that I realised that I wasn’t going to make a sub 5:30. This was really what made me just want to walk. I was disappointed but at that point I knew that I just had to concentrate on the finish line. I walked for a few minutes and then pushed myself to run again for a few more minutes and then I stopped and walked again for a few minutes more… And on that went until about the 24.5 mark. I realised at that stage that what I was doing was excruciating and that my muscles threatened to seize each time I stopped to walk.

I then decided that, no matter what, I would just have to run the last mile and a half. I had absolutely no niggles, no blisters, no pain at all, and therefore no excuse not to push myself for the last stretch. I put my head down and just concentrated on putting one foot in front of the other for the last bit. I knew that if I stopped I wouldn’t start again. It was hell.

The crowds were great for that last mile and a half as I was back in the city centre, but it made absolutely no difference to me as I had my head down and was just concentrating on the road and on putting one foot in front of the other. I was so exhausted crossing the line that I didn’t care what my finish photo looked like (I had planned on smiling and making it look like I could do the whole thing again straight away :p).

I was elated when I crossed the line though. I couldn't believe that it was over - not just the race, but the whole 18 weeks. It was a fantastic feeling. I kept walking after that for the 20 minutes it took me to pick up my medal and t-shirt and head back to the hotel. I really did feel that my legs could give in at any minute, but I didn't care - I was on such a high :D. I had a warm bath, recovery drink and recovery bar prepared by my wonderful OH.

I had thought that I would love some celebratory drinks that night but all I wanted was my bed. I did have a Bailey’s coffee in the hotel bar after dinner but that was all I could manage. I was glad of that the following morning – I couldn’t deal with a hangover on top of my extremely stiff legs.

The stiff legs lasted all day Tuesday but thanks to lots of ibuprofen and recovery tights I was back to normal again on Wednesday. My chest infection just got worse though and this has been an annoying presence all week. I had to go to the doctor with my toddler today so I got some antibiotics for myself to get rid of this for once and for all.

I have to say that I have felt like I’ve been in a vacuum for the past week. It feels strange not training and not having the marathon ahead of me. I’m delighted that I did it but I feel that I have unfinished business with DCM ;). I haven't been in the right frame of mind since last Monday (dam chest infection :mad:) to think about the next 26.2 but I did vow as I crossed the line that there would be a next one ;). I will have a clear-cut strategy next time out, with a definite finish time in mind, and hopefully I'll beat my 5:41 pb!

Highs:
    Seeing Dublin (running in the middle of the road felt great, especially on O’Connell Bridge!)
    Feeling good at 20 miles
    The local people who came out to pick up water bottles for participants when the water stations had packed up
    Seeing my OH on route
    Not having any aches, pains, niggles or blisters :)
    The really cool medal and running top
    The feeling immediately after the race (despite the wobbly legs)

Lows:
    The closed water-stations
    The deep puddles around the 21 mile mark
    The last three miles

Monday, 31/10/2011
    Distance: 26.2 miles
    Time: 5:41:28
    Average Pace: 13.01
    Breakdown: M1-?; M2-12.01; M3-12.05; M4-12.37; M5-11.42; M6-13.01; M7-11.48; M8-11.42; M9-12.26; M10-12.45; M11-11.49; M12-12.39; M13-13.12; M14-12.47; M15-12.39; M16-13.49; M17-12.26; M18-13.51; M19-13.05; M20-12.42; M21-13.54; M22-12.53; M23-13.39; M24-13.39; M25-14.26; M26-14.16; M27(0.59)-8.01
    Analysis: M1-3 – ok, feeling a little light-headed; M4-6 – ok; M7-M13 – good (as far as I can remember); M14-19 – ok; M20 – good; M21-23 – tough; M23-M26.2 – hell!

Finally (this should bring reading time to 3 hours littlebug ;)), I would like to thank absolutely everyone who has posted here and helped me so much during this adventure. Your support has been fantastic and has made this a much more pleasant journey for me than it would have been without you. I am planning on going Marathon to Couch for a few weeks now while I figure out my next goal and I will be back with a new log before the end of the month. Meanwhile, I look forward to catching up on all of your race reports and logs. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

mary very well done. :) Great report. I am sure you are still bursting with pride, i know i am :) hope you are feeling better.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Congrats Mary, its done now. Look forward to see now whats your next challenge!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Medimum1

Congratulations Mary Just found your post today and coincidently am sick with chest infection too and disgusted it has stopped my running so far this week. Was looking for inspiration to run next years DCM and you have just given it to me. Spent about an hour reading your blog from start to finish. I am dying to hear your next challenge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Great report MaryS and really well done.

I do know that feeling of "unfinished business" though... I kinda feel the same :o we'll get there again someday.

In the meantime.... how about Fields of Athenry on St Stephen's day? :D
    I was going to ask if you were interested in an easy trot around Dangan on saturday if you happened to be around Galway but doesn't sound like you'll be back in action yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Congratulations Mary. Great to see your report. Was wondering about you. Think we are all a bit aimless after DCM. Check out the thread on this page - DCM Withdrawls - 5 mile challenge for a focus - don't know how to link !

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Congrats Mary, was delighted to see your thread up near the top tonight- had been keeping an eye out for it!

Mary congratulations on achieving your goal of "couch to Marathon" and as alway a great report...you should print them all off and put somewhere for you to discover in a few years ...you'll probably have another few under your belt by then.:D

As kit3 has said join us on the thread which is like the next step for all us novices to keep going at the running and to keep enjoying it:D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056440724

I have enjoyed following your log and look forward to Part 2. Mind yourself now and get over your chest infection and then next week try a little jog one of the days and see how you feel

Best wishes
    Anne

Well done Mary. Brilliant result and report. You should be so proud of yourself. I was checking in every day since waiting to hear from you. Cant believe it's all over, I've really enjoyed reading your log over the months and weeks leading up to the marathon. Really spoil yourself and take your time with the recovery. Hope you feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Was dying to find out how you got on. Well done wonder woman. You showed great courage not only on marathon day but on the tough and time consuming 18 weeks leading up to it!

Hope you're feeling better soon. Looking forward to hearing what your next plan is :)

Nules10 wrote: »
    mary very well done. :) Great report. I am sure you are still bursting with pride, i know i am :) hope you are feeling better.

Thanks Nules. Have just sat down to read all the logs now (hoping my 1+ year old stays glued to Peppa Pig long enough for me to get through them) and I'm dying to read your race report :).

• Advertisement

backspacer wrote: »
    Congrats Mary, its done now. Look forward to see now whats your next challenge!!

You too backspacer! Hope to see you doing DCM next year ;).

Medimum1 wrote: »
    Congratulations Mary Just found your post today and coincidently am sick with chest infection too and disgusted it has stopped my running so far this week. Was looking for inspiration to run next years DCM and you have just given it to me. Spent about an hour reading your blog from start to finish. I am dying to hear your next challenge

Hi Medimum. Glad to hear you're going to do DCM next year. I will look forward to your log and to being there on the start line with you (one year fitter and one year wiser than this year hopefully :)).

littlebug wrote: »
    Great report MaryS and really well done.

I do know that feeling of "unfinished business" though... I kinda feel the same :o we'll get there again someday.

In the meantime.... how about Fields of Athenry on St Stephen's day? :D
    I was going to ask if you were interested in an easy trot around Dangan on saturday if you happened to be around Galway but doesn't sound like you'll be back in action yet?
    `

Athenry is on the list alright, littlebug! I deferred last year as I couldn't do it in January. I'm really looking forward to it.

I am heading to Montreal to visit my brother for a week on Friday but when you mentioned the run I realised how much I'd love to go for a run now. I haven't noticed any improvement in my chest infection yet but hopefully the antibiotics will kick in before Friday and I might get a run in while on holiday :).

kit3 wrote: »
    Congratulations Mary. Great to see your report. Was wondering about you. Think we are all a bit aimless after DCM. Check out the thread on this page - DCM Withdrawls - 5 mile challenge for a focus - don't know how to link !

Thanks Kit, I will definitely check that out. I feel that I'm actually coming out from the doldrums a bit just from reading boards! :)

madon wrote: »
    Congrats Mary, was delighted to see your thread up near the top tonight- had been keeping an eye out for it!

Thanks madon :)

Younganne wrote: »
    Mary congratulations on achieving your goal of "couch to Marathon" and as alway a great report...you should print them all off and put somewhere for you to discover in a few years ...you'll probably have another few under your belt by then.:D

As kit3 has said join us on the thread which is like the next step for all us novices to keep going at the running and to keep enjoying it:D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056440724

I have enjoyed following your log and look forward to Part 2. Mind yourself now and get over your chest infection and then next week try a little jog one of the days and see how you feel

Best wishes
    Anne

Thanks Anne. I haven't had a chance yet to check out any race reports. Have you one on the DCM thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congratulations Mary, onwards and upwards :)

Bally8 wrote: »
    Well done Mary. Brilliant result and report. You should be so proud of yourself. I was checking in every day since waiting to hear from you. Cant believe it's all over, I've really enjoyed reading your log over the months and weeks leading up to the marathon. Really spoil yourself and take your time with the recovery. Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks Bally8! I will be looking forward to your triathlon race reports next season ;):D

dolliemix wrote: »
    Was dying to find out how you got on. Well done wonder woman. You showed great courage not only on marathon day but on the tough and time consuming 18 weeks leading up to it!

Hope you're feeling better soon. Looking forward to hearing what your next plan is :)

Thanks dollie! I hope you will be joining me next year ;):)

• Advertisement

Congratulations Mary, onwards and upwards :)

Thanks rainbow :)

Advertisement