Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Hedge

Options
  • 31-05-2011 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭

Hi All I'm looking at planting a hedge want it to grow between 4 -9 ft about 25 ft long, year round foliage.

Not conifer or laurel any recommendations was thinking of privet but are there different types?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

You don't want Laurel or conifer hedging - presumably this rules out grisilinia (Chinese laurel) too.
    I saw many privet hedges succumb to the harsh winters of the past two years, so depending on where you are, this is worth considering. Have a look around your neighbourhood - are there privet hedges which were affected by the winter?
    Privet makes a nice hedge though.
    Box is the Rolls Royce of hedging, but could be expensive. Another option is 'Poor man's box' or lonicera nitida - an underrated hedging plant which is available in green or gold (Baggeson's gold I think). It's tough as hell, fairly fast growing (when established) and can be cut back hard any time of year.
    Beech can make a regal looking hedge too - but it's high maintenance and at 9', might lose its leaves in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mr Kite

Hi Pavb2,

Have you considered Escallonia ? They are evergreen, glossy green leaves, accommpanied by red / pink / or white flowers. A good nursery would have a ready supply with maybe a discount for a bulk buy. Great by the seaside too with salty winds.

Advertisement