Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to build ???

Options
  • 31-05-2011 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

hi ,

we are looking to get an extension built at the moment. have spoken to one architect so far and he reckons 130 to 150 per sq foot is the going rate around Dublin. Its approx 700 sq foot extension.

I think this is very high and wanted to explore using a project manager / engineering firm to manage a build ...

how would you do it at the moment;

architect and tender process ?
    project manager and direct labour ?

tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

The price comes down to specification irrespective of who manages the project for you. For that size project most builders are currently pricing around cost price to keep their business going and there are some very good prices to be achieved.

Get a detailed set of tender drawings/qs schedule done and send out to builders so you can compare like with like. Make sure they complete the schedule as otherwise you cant compare like with like

• Registered Users Posts: 46,041 ✭✭✭✭muffler

kkelliher wrote: »
    The price comes down to specification irrespective of who manages the project for you. For that size project most builders are currently pricing around cost price to keep their business going and there are some very good prices to be achieved.

Get a detailed set of tender drawings/qs schedule done and send out to builders so you can compare like with like. Make sure they complete the schedule as otherwise you cant compare like with like
    +1 to this.

I cant really comment much on the price as its in Dublin but it does look a bit on the high side. Again its down to the spec. you require.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 hornblower

dec7golf wrote: »
    hi ,

we are looking to get an extension built at the moment. have spoken to one architect so far and he reckons 130 to 150 per sq foot is the going rate around Dublin. Its approx 700 sq foot extension.

I think this is very high and wanted to explore using a project manager / engineering firm to manage a build ...

how would you do it at the moment;

architect and tender process ?
    project manager and direct labour ?

tks

I'm just finishing a project of 1000 square feet (95 sq mtrs) and I expect to come under 65000 euro. The cheapest quote for the job 12 months ago was 85000 and the average was 120000 but this does not take into account all of the extensive changes that we made along the way, for example:

new roof design
    double Ethernet to each room
    supporting steel beam
    wiring for cameras
    re-sizing windows
    underfloor heating
    etc, etc

I managed the project myself and used direct labour. I had previously re-furbished 4 houses. Going down this route, you must consider the following very seriously:

Are you competent enough (have enough knowledge) to understand all aspects of the build?).
    can you make decisions on the fly?
    do you have access to a trustworthy source of direct labour?
    Can you manage the missus?? (sounds flippant but believe me, you need to be able to answer yes to this!
    Do you have the time and energy to oversee the project?

In my case, I used an architect to do the initial drawings and then adapted them extensively using a cheap architectural program (100 euros) as the job progressed. I ordered all of the materials from my supplier, researched every aspect of the job and was lucky enough to find good quality labour at a good price (80 - 100 euros a day).

But this is not a job for the feint-hearted, believe me. That said, significant savings can be made if you take it on with the right team - 65 euro a square foot building cost!.

The job has taken about twice as long as it would have with a building contractor and there were some sleepless nights - mostly because I'm not a builder!. But I'm smiling as I will have a dream home and will come in just about on budget.

Expect to add 20% if you hire a project manager.

PM me for more if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Actually, 65Euro, per Sqm contribution from you........plus contribution by tax-payer in Social Welfare payments to your Polish labour.....so whats the real cost, per SqM.

Anyone on the cheap Architectural Programme???

martinn123 wrote: »
    Actually, 65Euro, per Sqm contribution from you........plus contribution by tax-payer in Social Welfare payments to your Polish labour.....so whats the real cost, per SqM.

Anyone on the cheap Architectural Programme???

That's very unfair. You jump to the conclusion that my workers don't pay taxes - why would you do that? Do you know them? I have my reasons for paying cash but it doesn't mean that there is anything dis-honest going on. So, the real cost per square metre is as I quoted it. It doesn't matter in the least whether the workers are Polish or Irish.

The program, as you ask, is Chief Architect Suite V. 10 and it does a very good job thank you very much!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

hornblower wrote: »
    That's very unfair. You jump to the conclusion that my workers don't pay taxes - why would you do that? Do you know them? I have my reasons for paying cash but it doesn't mean that there is anything dis-honest going on. So, the real cost per square metre is as I quoted it. It doesn't matter in the least whether the workers are Polish or Irish.

The program, as you ask, is Chief Architect Suite V. 10 and it does a very good job thank you very much!

'cash' payments??? of course we'd jump to conclusions.. :D how can that be the real cost per sqm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

If you pay cash you cannot for a second think that tax is been paid 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

In my case, I used an architect to do the initial drawings and then adapted them extensively using a cheap architectural program (100 euros) as the job progressed. I ordered all of the materials from my supplier, researched every aspect of the job and was lucky enough to find good quality labour at a good price (80 - 100 euros a day paid in cash - Polish guys with good English).

But this is not a job for the feint-hearted, believe me. That said, significant savings can be made if you take it on with the right team - 65 euro a square foot building cost!.

OP come on, you are fooling yourself if you think or believe that that money is going to be declared!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

OP come on, you are fooling yourself if you think or believe that that money is going to be declared!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I didn't mention the tax issue in the original email as it simply didn't cross my mind. It is not my responsibility to ensure that tax is paid. If I used a cheque book (which I don't) it wouldn't have changed the price. Furthermore, I shouldn't have mentioned nationality at all as it was immaterial to my point (I have now edited the post and deleted some words) - that now is a great time to build at a realistic price and project managing saves a whole lot more. But as I said, it's not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,041 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Alright guys, you have had your say and I agree with you all in that we need to condemn this activity of tax evasion.

2 points. If I see anyone posting here again about paying cash which suggests tax avoidance then their posting privileges will be removed.

Finally can we leave it at that now and get back on topic again please.

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    how can that be the real cost per sqm?

Sorry, that should have been per square foot - I've been working in metres and changed to feet just to respond to the original post.

Advertisement