Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Come Dine With Me Ireland (Week 1 - Cork)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

Elmo wrote: »
    Her surname is Costello which is an Irish name. So I assume her father is Irish.

No, she's married so perhaps that's her married name.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

No, she's married so perhaps that's her married name.

Yeah but.... she is a one of these modern vegetarian feminists unlikely she took a married name! <<<< That's my argument and I am sticking by it :) (Though her fear of spiders lets that argument down).

Yeah but.... she is a one of these modern vegetarian feminists unlikely she took a married name! <<<< That's my argument and I am sticking by it :) (Though her fear of spiders lets that argument down).

Yes but Jamie's surname is Knoblauch and he's Irish so a surname ain't nothing but a thang...:cool:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

BTW Vegetarians if your asking non-vegetarians to taste your Tofu then perhaps you would be polite enough to try some non-vegetarian food. For some reason it is quite expectable for Vegetarians to expect to get vegetarian food handed up to them but not for non-vegetarians to demand that they have meat with their main.

I love my meat as much as anyone but that argument is a total straw man. Vegetarians don't eat meat, omnivores do eat things other than meat. It's perfectly acceptable for omnivores to every so often have one meal without meat in it. It's never going to be acceptable to someone who is vegetarian because they consider meat to be murder to prepare meat for others. And if you know you are going to vegetarian's house for dinner you can just have a big meaty lunch and a fridge full of sausages and rashers for breakfast the next day.

iguana wrote: »
    I love my meat as much as anyone but that argument is a total straw man. Vegetarians don't eat meat, omnivores do eat things other than meat. It's perfectly acceptable for omnivores to every so often have one meal without meat in it. It's never going to be acceptable to someone who is vegetarian because they consider meat to be murder to prepare meat for others.

I amn't a huge vegetable eater, and would find it disappointing to have dinner with out meat of some kind, while I do eat vegetables I am fussy, however I usually won't say anything an will leave vegetables on the plate (particularly Mushrooms).

Most vegetarians are so by choice (not because of a physical or medical reason) I see no reason why they have to have a special meal made up for them while the rest of the guest eat another meal, just because they feel some sort of sympathy for an animal, and only makes a mockery of the other non-vegetarians (as in they should feel guilty).

If someone requests that they get meat for a main then the courtesy should be returned.

• Advertisement

I love my meat as much as anyone but that argument is a total straw man. Vegetarians don't eat meat, omnivores do eat things other than meat. It's perfectly acceptable for omnivores to every so often have one meal without meat in it. It's never going to be acceptable to someone who is vegetarian because they consider meat to be murder to prepare meat for others. And if you know you are going to vegetarian's house for dinner you can just have a big meaty lunch and a fridge full of sausages and rashers for breakfast the next day.

Yeah I agree with that, if someone is wheat intolerant or on a low-fat diet or something people have to respect that. Vegetarianism is a bit different in that it's a choice out of a moral point of view as opposed to an intolerance or that, so if cooking meat is reprehensible to them then I'd never expect them to endure that.
    Only thing I dislike that some vegetarians do is trying to 'convert' others. If other people can respect your decision you should respect theirs. Luisa didn't do that last night though.

I have seen it on other episodes of the show where the vegetarians have produced non-meat based food to try to convert, indeed one guy try to convert everyone to Veganism. :mad:

I have seen it on other episodes of the show where the vegetarians have produced non-meat based food to try to convert, indeed one guy try to convert everyone to Veganism. :mad:

But then normally the evenings have themes -e.g., Australian food, African etc. So a vegetarian-themed evening isn't necessarily a conversion.

But then normally the evenings have themes -e.g., Australian food, African etc. So a vegetarian-themed evening isn't necessarily a conversion.

The only reason they were vegetarian/vegan nights was because the host was a vegetarian/vegan. However the vegan was a bit mad, it had nothing to do with a "vegan-themed" evening. Not every evening is themed btw.

While I'd rarely choose to have a meatless dinner I have had the occasional vegetarian meal where I haven't missed meat. My favourite was an aubergine and sweet potato lasagne loaded up with several types of cheese. A decent risotto can be good too, especially asparagus with lots and lots of cheese. Basically the key is nice veg, naturally accompanied by lots and lots of cheese.

Vegan food however leaves me feeling starving as if I'm not eating meat it needs to be heavy on dairy to be satisfying. Unless maybe it's extremely well prepared Indian food.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Just watched it on the tv3 website and I have to say I'm hooked :P. Will definitely be watching them all this week. Typical personality-type casting by the producers, should make for some fun clashes and good tv!

I liked Dave and Jamie and the "horse lady" (can't remember her name!), but the blonde woman and Louisa both made me :rolleyes: a lot: laughed at the pair of them talking about hunting :pac:.

The only reason they were vegetarian/vegan nights was because the host was a vegetarian/vegan. However the vegan was a bit mad, it had nothing to do with a "vegan-themed" evening. Not every evening is themed btw.

But the only reason there would be an Australian theme, or a an African or Swedish theme would be because the host is in some way connected to that theme. I have seen episodes where the veggie is a bit of an evangelist about vegetarianism, but I think its fair enough for a veggie to have a vegetarian evening without having to apologise for a lack of meat.

Also, I know not every evening is themed regarding food etc. However, every evening this week has some sort of theme; if not with the food then with some sort of dress etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

It seems to me that a lot of the vegetarians/vegans that are featured on CDWM over the years are nothing more than attention seekers who are on a personal crusade to convert the rest of us heathens from eating meat. They use CDWM as a personal platform for their proselytising. Most of them are annoying eejits who could do with a nice juicy steak to build them up a bit. :p

But the only reason there would be an Australian theme, or a an African or Swedish theme would be because the host is in some way connected to that theme.

Not always.

BTW I am against hunting for sport, just as bad as vegetarians.

For example if I said I didn't like Mushrooms I would hope that the other hosts would try to avoid Mushrooms, however knowing the limits of Veggie food a stuffed Mushroom would be the starter followed by
    an aubergine and sweet potato lasagne loaded up with several types of cheese. A decent risotto can be good too, especially asparagus with lots and lots of cheese. Basically the key is nice veg, naturally accompanied by lots and lots of cheese.

and more cheese :D

They should have 4 vegitarians and a vegan on at least one show :)

It seems to me that a lot of the vegetarians/vegans that are featured on CDWM over the years are nothing more than attention seekers who are on a personal crusade to convert the rest of us heathens from eating meat. They use CDWM as a personal platform for their proselytising. Most of them are annoying eejits who could do with a nice juicy steak to build them up a bit. :p

CDWM is not kind to veggies! Then, it's not kind to anyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gobo111

Her surname is Costello which is an Irish name. So I assume her father is Irish.
    It's her husbands surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Overall pretty happy with the show, they kept with the overall format and was entertaining. They did a good job picking the contestants the bitchy one, the Mrs Bouquet with the double barrel name. The young blonde, the guy who is obviously straight and the older gentleman. The food looked to be of high caliber by Dave and the night went down well. Of couse people are going to get slagged here about every aspect but if you put yourself in the public eye expect to get commented on.

In honesty they could of made a balls of it, but it came across as good as the UK version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

People like that Louisa twat make me almost embarrassed to be a veggie :(

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

There have been a few incidents, albeit very rare, that a vegetarian has cooked meat dishes for their guests on CDWM and I think it's only fair that they do this, since a lot of the guests will have had to make separate dishes for them during the week!

For example if I said I didn't like Mushrooms I would hope that the other hosts would try to avoid Mushrooms, however knowing the limits of Veggie food a stuffed Mushroom would be the starter followed by

But people do that all of the time anyway. Last week on the English one there was a contestant who liked neither cheese nor fish, which he mentioned on the first night. Yet the next two contestants served cheese/fish. They both commented that they knew he didn't like cheese/fish when they were preparing the meal and then basically said he'd have to suck it up and one of them was privately pissed off when he didn't finish the food she knew he didn't like. That's nothing to do with being a vegetarian it's just bad manners (and really shítty game-planning).

• Advertisement

But people do that all of the time anyway. Last week on the English one there was a contestant who liked neither cheese nor fish, which he mentioned on the first night. Yet the next two contestants served cheese/fish. They both commented that they knew he didn't like cheese/fish when they were preparing the meal and then basically said he'd have to suck it up and one of them was privately pissed off when he didn't finish the food she knew he didn't like. That's nothing to do with being a vegetarian it's just bad manners (and really shítty game-planning).

I think their menus are finalised before they meet the other contestants, and can't change them throughout the week. You get told if you have a coeliac or veggie or something, but everything else is suck it up basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Dymo wrote: »
    In honesty they could of made a balls of it, but it came across as good as the UK version.

As far as I could tell from the credits this is the UK version, hence Dave Lamb providing the voice over. It was an ITV production for TV3 and I did not see any references to an Irish production company in the credits.

I think their menus are finalised before they meet the other contestants, and can't change them throughout the week. You get told if you have a coeliac or veggie or something, but everything else is suck it up basically.

You can alter it somewhat though. I've seen people who are making spicy food make a much less spicy version for someone who has said they don't like spicy food. If you are making starter of goats cheese and aubergine stack for someone who really doesn't like cheese you can choose to put very, very little cheese into their dish and give them extra sauce and bread instead.

As far as I could tell from the credits this is the UK version, hence Dave Lamb providing the voice over. It was an ITV production for TV3 and I did not see any references to an Irish production company in the credits.

Yep its an ITV production, just like the Channel 4 version.

What if someone served up Meat to a vegetarian. I know plenty of veggies who like meat :rolleyes:

In fairness Fish really doesn't go with cheese ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Enjoyable 1st show. As said they don't pick the contestants because they will be all normal average Jo/Joe on camera ;)

The veggie girl was a right so and so lmao

OT: The guys dog was cool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭a.man

I was on the Dublin one and believe me there are no "plants" they don't need them anyway.. they interview you before they pick you to find out what your like and then simply match the people with their opposite to make good tv... and before you ask I was "the working class girl"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

a.man wrote: »
    I was on the Dublin one and believe me there are no "plants" they don't need them anyway.. they interview you before they pick you to find out what your like and then simply match the people with their opposite to make good tv... and before you ask I was "the working class girl"
    If there were plants do you really think you'd know about it?

They plant by the fact that the research the contestants. You were chosen for a specific reason. Don't worry you will soon find out why right here on boards :D We will be the judge of your "working class" credentials :)

Did anyone make coddle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭a.man

I guess not, but why bother with a plant when more than likely they'll find at least 2 people that won't get on.. It's the Irish way after all ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

...So how did the Findus crispy pancakes, chips and beans go down then? :D:D

seriously were you on it...I heard that it took hours and hours to make it and everyone who took part hated it by the end is that true?

I thought last night's was very very boring.

Advertisement