Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to fishing

Options
  • 31-05-2011 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi guys, I just have a few questions.

Do you need a license or permit to sea fish? For eg. in Howth or Wicklow?

Can you use a carp rod to Fly fish? I'm not sure if Rod weight and size is acoounted when flyfishing.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

No you dont need a license to fish in the sea or for brown trout in fresh water but if you target sea trout or salmon then you need a license. A Carp rod will not work as a fly rod but you could use flies with a bubble float though not very successfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tdohee

No licence required for most sea angling as DoneDL states, however Bass cannot be taken from mid May to mid June (and should not be targeted) and a 2 bass limit (40cm minimum) per angler is in place the rest of the year. If you're a conscientious angler then you practice a catch and return policy, with the occasional exception. That includes handling the fish properly.

Can't see fly fishing being too productive in Howth or Wicklow, floats or not..a moving lure or fresh bait will produce more fish. Some people do fly fish in salt water but I'd imagine it's a bit of an art.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

Cant use a carp rod to fly fish.
    Also where i live in Galway to fish for any trout, pike, etc or 99% of the rivers a fishing permit is required.
    Not so for the sea.......
    The permit i get is the Shannon regional fishery permit. (39 euro annually)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

New to fishing: feel free to join my group (free). I organize diverse fishing experiences.

http://www.meetup.com/Fishing-enthusiasts-of-Dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Spectreon666

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I know now about the licenses and permits that you need so to start off I'm just going to try my hand at sea fishing preferably from the beach to start off with. Is there any good places in Sutton for it? It's the handiest for me to get there.
    Don't fancy going up to howth. Went there last week to Balscadden road to fish off the rocks and got the air let out of my tyres by some kids :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement