Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is this called??

• 31-05-2011 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Does anyone know what this screw/bar on the left is called? It's about 2 inches long, .5 cm wide with a flat screw at one end. I need to find more but don't know what they're called or where to look.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Jessie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

What is it used for. This might be a good start :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kennyh

It's for a handbag..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

you might get away with a grub screw.

Hey - thanks Mad M & joey! just googled a 'grub screw'...looks like an option ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

A grub screw will be very short, I've never seen one 2"/50mm long. Your best bet is to bring it to a engineering supply company and see if they have a normal bolt with the correct thread type.

More than likely they won't have an exact copy but they can give you a longer one with the same shaft diameter and thread type which you then have to cut to length and cut a slot across the end of it so a screwdriver can turn it.

What part of the country are you in? If its Cork or Limerick I can direct you to engineering supply shops. If your mechanically challenged :P and in Cork city I can giove you as hand, shouldn't take more than 10 mins.

• Advertisement

Thanks quietsailor - I'm in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

kennyh wrote: »
    Thanks quietsailor - I'm in Dublin.

sorry KennyH, I went back and edited the original post while you posted the one above.

Google"Enginering supplies dublin" and it comes up with a google map and list of suppliers, hopefully one of them would be close to you

Best of luck

Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If that were me doing a repair i would use a very fine drill bit. The thickest the hole could take. Then i would cut the drill bit to size having measured it in the hole and put a small dab of superglue in the holes to keep it in place. You wont notice it once the strap is on. The drill but is hardened steel so it wont bend.

I doubt very much an engineering suppliers will have these parts but you can try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

A grub screw will be very short, I've never seen one 2"/50mm long.

I have on a euro cylinder.

Advertisement