Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sherkin Island - Camping

Options
  • 31-05-2011 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Anybody here ever camped on Sherkin Island?

If so is there a designated camping area with the usual facilities or is it more a case of pitching the tent out of sight somewhere?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I am wondering the same. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Zynks wrote: »
    I am wondering the same. Anyone?

I went out there that time.

There is no dedicated/serviced camping area. But a local directed us to an area on the far side of the Island which seems to be the accepted camping area.

It's an area between two beaches, and while we were the only ones camping there that weekend there was plenty of evidence of it regularly being used for camping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Tinytony wrote: »

There is no dedicated/serviced camping area. But a local directed us to an area on the far side of the Island which seems to be the accepted camping area.

It's an area between two beaches, and while we were the only ones camping there that weekend there was plenty of evidence of it regularly being used for camping.

Would you recommend it for a weekend to kill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Tinytony wrote: »

Thanks for that. We are considering it as an option. Did it go well for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

there is another unofficial camping spot just above silver strand on the left hand side(when coming to it). there's no facilities nearby and make sure to bring all your rubbish home. there was some people camping a few weeks back who just lit their tent on rubbish on fire and tried to leave, but were refused entry to the ferry untill they went back ant cleaned it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PadraigL

Never been there. If you drive down where do you park the car?

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cremdelacrem

My birthdays in a few weeks and i am thinkin of goin campin in sherkin for it weather permitting. anybody no of the best spot on the island to pitch?
    there will be about twenty of us so a secluded spot away from people who we might annoy with noise in the early hours would be ideal.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

My birthdays in a few weeks and i am thinkin of goin campin in sherkin for it weather permitting. anybody no of the best spot on the island to pitch?
    there will be about twenty of us so a secluded spot away from people who we might annoy with noise in the early hours would be ideal.....

Having been there, I can say that Sherkin Island is not the place you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cremdelacrem

why is that ? i have read about people who have camped there and with no problems..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

why is that ? i have read about people who have camped there and with no problems..

Camping's fine, but if you want to get locked around a fire with a stereo, then best to find somewhere else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement