Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you juggle childcare over summer?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DieNonne

galah wrote: »
    Would it make sense to start petitioning the government/education boards to reduce those holidays to a more appropriate 6 - 8 weeks

Seriously, you move to Ireland and expect to have the same laws/regulations as in Germany!

I know the school holidays are a pain for parents but you can't expect things abroad to be the same as in your home country, if you're looking for German rules and regulations, go back to Germany - sorry for sounding harsh, but Ireland isn't Germany (and other EU countries have just as long holidays too)

Also, the school day in Ireland is longer than in Germany, so even if they did shorten the school holidays, they would have to shorten the school day as well, meaning while the childcare issue is still a problem in Summer, albeit a shorter problem, it becomes a daily problem on top of that because the children finish school earlier.

The only real solution would be to make childcare more affordable, shortening the length of Summer holiday won't change a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

DieNonne wrote: »
    Seriously, you move to Ireland and expect to have the same laws/regulations as in Germany!

I know the school holidays are a pain for parents but you can't expect things abroad to be the same as in your home country, if you're looking for German rules and regulations, go back to Germany - sorry for sounding harsh, but Ireland isn't Germany (and other EU countries have just as long holidays too)

Also, the school day in Ireland is longer than in Germany, so even if they did shorten the school holidays, they would have to shorten the school day as well, meaning while the childcare issue is still a problem in Summer, albeit a shorter problem, it becomes a daily problem on top of that because the children finish school earlier.

The only real solution would be to make childcare more affordable, shortening the length of Summer holiday won't change a thing

I am not expecting anything, and certainly would not want the same rules than Germany, I am wondering if it would help since I don't see the point in such long holidays - I know a lot of people for whom 3 months holidays are a problem because their employers aren't flexible, because it is really expensive to have full-time care for kids and so on, and sometimes it does help to look across the borders to see how other countries do it.
    The Germans (used to) have 13 years of school, which is also too long - however, if you could take the best bits from both systems, you may get close to a system that works for everyone.

Bringing down childcare cost would be vey high on my agenda, too.

Telling me to move back to Germany, however, is completely uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I like the holidays as they are and wouldn't like to see them shortened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DieNonne

I am not expecting anything,

No?

You want to petition the government to reduce the holidays so they are the same as in Germany or other EU countries, that's what I call expecting something.
    The Germans (used to) have 13 years of school

They still do, only the Abitur cycle has been reduced to 12 years for "Gymnasien" only
    Telling me to move back to Germany, however, is completely uncalled for.

Not when you always go on about how bad Ireland is / how great Germany is - Germany is far from being paradise too

But that's not the topic here, the government need to make childcare more affordable - simple as.

where do I *always* go on about how great Germany is? Did I ever say that Germany was a paradise? Don't think so. If Germany were so great, I certainly wouldn't be here anymore...Don't bash the foreigners ( I assume you're one yourself though) just because they dare to question the status quo (after having lived here and paid taxes here long enough).

And what ARE the arguments for 3 months holidays, pray tell?

That childcare is extremely expensive here is no secret, and would need to be changed - but how would you do that? Lower the minimum wage? -> the whole country up in arms. Lower insurance premiums -> feasible, certainly, but not in this litigious society where a lot of people see suing others as a way to get rich quick. Lower standards of care? wouldn't like to see that for my children.

something needs to be done, might as well look at all the options and angles...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I don't see the problem with someone saying they'd prefer shorter holidays. I find by the end of the 8 weeks my daughter is bored and missing school. She loves school though. 6 weeks would be more than enough for her. But every child is different.

The 3 months and childcare thing isn't really an issue as the 3 months is only when they are in second level so they'd be 12 or 13 upwards at that stage so it would only be for a couple of years that childcare would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

I have to say I used to love the long summer holidays but now I am trying to get back to work its a worry. I have older kids but then they are working so cant help with their little brother. My 13yo has been off a month and is bored already, its his 1st year in 2ndry. My 6yo breaks for the summer next week and even this evening he complained he was bored.... IF I get work I will work it round OH work, my older kids work and occasionally the 13yo will have to take up the slack with support from my mother who lives next door but wont help out.
    Next summer I will be in full-time work (internship) but minimal pay. I am dreading it as I simply wont be able to afford it.

I have to say, 13 weeks summer hols is difficult for working parents AND the kids. Its also hard if money is tight. I will be sat indoors (dependant on weather) playing games/watching tv this year. I experienced 6 week summer breaks in the UK and it was awful, the minute they started we were uniform shopping; no real break. SO I see it from many perspectives.

I cant remember who said school days would need to be shortened to contend with shorter summer hols but I dont see this argument. For instance in the UK they are in school from Sept-July and get more or lees the same other hols as us here. They are in school (even primary) from 8.50-15.30 (ish).

Like I say, its hard to make a decision whats 'best' either way, all I know is another 3 weeks and my 13yo will be desperate to go back to school!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Galah, you seem to be choosing to ignore the fact that others have explained that it is 2 months and not 3 months for summer holidays in primary school. The 3 months holidays are in secondary school and by then most kids should be able to look after themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

namurt wrote: »
    Galah, you seem to be choosing to ignore the fact that others have explained that it is 2 months and not 3 months for summer holidays in primary school. The 3 months holidays are in secondary school and by then most kids should be able to look after themselves.

I have to say, I wouldn't be happy about leaving a first or second year student home alone all day for 3 months. The thoughts of my child being in 2nd level fills me with dread because at 12,13 or 14 I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving her here on her own from 8 to 6, 5 days a week while I work but she'd be a bit old for childcare too so not sure what we'll do.

Fittle did you get anything sorted for summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

it's not going to affect us for a long while yet, but are the school holidays still going on for 3 months? Would it make sense to start petitioning the government/education boards to reduce those holidays to a more appropriate 6 - 8 weeks, as in the rest of the EU?
    reducing the holidays by a month would make a difference to a lot of families I am sure. And I think kids will be resting enough during say 8 weeks, you don't need 12...(we only had 6 weeks off for summer holidays, and survived...).
    I know a lot of people for whom 3 months holidays are a problem

Why are you persisting with this line of argument? You've already been told that the summer holidays are 2 months, not 3.
    Same as in most other EU countries.

Seeing as you're interested in the comparison with Germany, Irish primary schoolchildren have about 100 extra hours of teaching time than German children. That's about 20 schooldays. I wouldn't keep pushing the comparisons with Germany, otherwise we'll have to lobby the govt to knock off 100 hours from the Irish school calendar.;)

Germany is a great country btw, I'm not criticising it. :cool:

• Advertisement

ok, I was under the impression that secondary school started at 10, not 12. so apologies for persisting...Fair enough - although, as someone here said, that would still leave you with a few years of leaving your young teenagers home alone for the entire summer...:eek:

don't get me wrong though - I like the Irish system - you start much earlier, have longer school days, and finish school much earlier than the Germans - there's a lot to be said for that! (I was the youngest student in my university course in Germany, however, when I came to Ireland for my erasmus year, I was one of the oldest in most of my classes...)

let's move on to discussing the cost of childcare then...how can we get the government to change all this so people (women, mainly, I guess) can actually 'afford' to go out to work (especially if you have more than 1 child under the age of 4)?

Advertisement