Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C5 connectivity settings

Options
  • 31-05-2011 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi all,

Just got the nokia c7, its my first smartphone and changed vodafone package to the one with 500mb data. Thing is I havent a clue what settings I should have the phone set at for connecting to the inernet. I've read a few threads of people using these phones and getting massive bills on data being used unknowingly by the phone due to having the settings set up wrong. Basically I want the phone to use mainly free wi fi whenever possible and not to use the data package so that theres less risk of going over my 500mb and racking up a big bill but haven't a clue about this stuff! What settings should I have connectivity set to decrease the risk of unknowingly using the data package. Is there a way I can set the phone to notify me each time it connects to the internet? Is there somewhere in the phone that will record my data usage so that I can keep an eye on it other than having to wait till I get landed with a big bill?

At the moment the settings are as follows straight from the box:

Network
    Network mode: gsm
    operator selection: automatic
    cell info display: off

WLAN: scanning off

Settings:
    Switch to WLAN: Manual

Data use in home country: automatic ( does this mean the phone will just connect automatically using my data package as opposed to wifi? and whenever it wants?)

Data use when abroad: always ask

As you can see, I havent a clue when it comes to phones, I only got a new one after 5 years becuase my old one committed suicide over the weekend.

How do I know when the phone is connected to the internet for example if an app is using it in the background as I've read of a couple of incidents of people racking up massive bills unknowingly because an app was using the internet without them knowing.

Any help would be appreciated:

your friendly neighbourhood technophobe!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

can you set that "data in home country" to "always ask" aswel? should be a way to bring up an options list.

Advertisement