Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamer of the year (Arcade Edition)

Options
199100101102103105»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's an issue I've come across with a lot of PAL games. There's a good few that run the correct speed on a modded 60Hz machine but the music is sped up to sound better on a 50 Hz machine. So you have the worst of both worlds, crappy slow gamplay but correct music or correct gameplay but music that sounds all wrong.

Most annoyingly it has been on a few games I got that were far cheaper in PAL format. Super Aleste was one and Little Samson on the NES was another.

Best advice is just not bother with PAL games unless they are very cheap and you can take a chance or are PAL english exclusives. It's not worth the annoyance.

As for the PS1, don't even bother with PAL games unless they are PAL english exclusives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's no real PAL optimised games really. There's one of two. Rare did a bit as they are a UK company and Sega did a few late life PAL optimisations. Super Mario Bros is a strange exception that is well optimised.

Most PAL optimisation is just the sped up music with slow gameplay. As for Extra lines and colour depth, only 16-bit game that I can think of that has extra vertical resolution might be DKC. Pretty much every PAL game has squashed aspect ratio and letterboxing bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Definitely no extra colour depth as that would require new art.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

150 for one of the most sold games of all time. mario 3.

this guy has some gems. 75 quid for Tetris.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

That comment thread is a bit of a trip as well.

• Advertisement

Cross his palm with silver and you’ll save a shite laptop from landfill

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭dav09

https://www.donedeal.ie/games-for-sale/scud-racer-twin-arcade/35144615

Is this the Scud Race that was listed recently in a two part deal with a Sega Rally for around 900 all together? Also screen flashing different colors means PCB issue not monitor issue if it uses the screens I think it does. But yeah I'm sure someone will give 2k.

Also The King of Route 66 in his other ad that no one wanted for 750 is now worth 3k a few weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭dav09

https://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/mario-kart-arcade-gp/31994094

This is a good one, we've heard of Adverts tax but this is some of the best I've seen.

Pretty sure the cards are still being made, 'Extremely Rare 60 euro per card', plus I don't think the machines here even had the reader/writer, I've never seen one.

vs 1 dollar 80 per card here and on Coin-Op Express. Was tempted to make an offer for the craic I can imagine getting a response of 'I know what I got'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Late entry for the actual dreamer of the year award winner?

Over 5 grand for a digital pinball machine, not even full sized.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Smyth's were selling them off for €500, and this chancer has bodged in another €100 of parts, making one pug ugly and impractical... thing.

Better to have modded it with a bigger screen, make it more effective at replicating pinball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

He has that volume mod too 🤣

Absolute pathetic attempt to cash in on pinball. But anyone who'd buy that is more than likely into pinball and will know its an utter rip off

€100 for SMB, hang on there while I get my chequebook

https://www.adverts.ie/33315898

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, someone in Ashbourne is selling an "original Midway arcade cabinet"

It is War Gods, not the most inspiring game or cabinet for that matter.

But, whoever did it, it is selling with the CRT gone and a maggotty LCD monitor just bunged in, with a bit of painted ply for a bezel.

And it's €550

http://www.adverts.ie/32557039

Advertisement