Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamer of the year (Arcade Edition)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Didn't it suck in '03 as well?
    Telling that there hasn't been a current generation GAA game, no market I suppose.
    Although the football one was a rejig of the Aussie Rules game, would have been relatively easy to do the same again to a current gen antipodean football game.
    But, happily, we have been spared!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Didn't it suck in '03 as well?
    Telling that there hasn't been a current generation GAA game, no market I suppose.
    Although the football one was a rejig of the Aussie Rules game, would have been relatively easy to do the same again to a current gen antipodean football game.
    But, happily, we have been spared!
    Wasnt the aussie one made based on the GAA engine? Im not much of a fan of the oul boggerball, but at least its on game where the irish characters have proper acccents and not some rubbish US actor going all Beggorah on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Wasnt the aussie one made based on the GAA engine? Im not much of a fan of the oul boggerball, but at least its on game where the irish characters have proper acccents and not some rubbish US actor going all Beggorah on it!

Nop, it was the game developer IR Gurus from Australia who used their Ausie Rules football game engine to produce it. It was a shockingly bad game, don't think I've played anything worse on the PS2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,782 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They managed to really mess up with the GAA games. The first one sold like crazy but is absolutely atrocious. It's a pity because the second game and hurling games were massive improvements, not brilliant but they are at least playable and some fun could be gleaned from them. However nobody was prepared to get stung again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They managed to really mess up with the GAA games. The first one sold like crazy but is absolutely atrocious. It's a pity because the second game and hurling games were massive improvements, not brilliant but they are at least playable and some fun could be gleaned from them. However nobody was prepared to get stung again.

I used to own those games but I lent them to a cross dresser and never saw them again...

• Advertisement

Hes asking 70 for them now
    ha ha ha
    I pmed him he said he'd take 3.50 a game!

So, it'd more of a "don't know how to make a decimal point" kinda thing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/nes/2036114
    "this is a super rare game"

The most popular NES game of all time is now super rare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

urbanledge wrote: »
    Hes asking 70 for them now
    ha ha ha
    I pmed him he said he'd take 3.50 a game!

seen it in Dealz today for €1.49

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,782 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/nes/2036114
    "this is a super rare game"

The most popular NES game of all time is now super rare?

Well it is. There's only 35 million other copies of the game in existance. However you'll never get that exact copy :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

NES Tengen Tetris Prototype - Licensed by Nintendo

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251158721996

This is going up for sale again:
    go.ign.com/104UFJv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

eddhorse wrote: »
    NES Tengen Tetris Prototype - Licensed by Nintendo

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251158721996

This is going up for sale again:
    go.ign.com/104UFJv
    The EPROMs are protected with a thick tape and the cartridge
    is glued together to prevent piracy and or duplication.

What I'd be thinking before dropping 45k:
    The EPROMs are protected with a thick tape to prevent you seeing that they are standard eproms I bought in Radioshack and the cartridge
    is glued together to prevent you seeing this is actually a hack job repro I made myself

Also, why does it have a Duck Hunt cover, if this was an actual proto wouldn't it be a blank shell with the Tengen sticker on it, rather than a Duck Hunt one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

EnterNow wrote: »

What I'd be thinking before dropping 45k:

Also, why does it have a Duck Hunt cover, if this was an actual proto wouldn't it be a blank shell with the Tengen sticker on it, rather than a Duck Hunt one?

Good point, well presented.

Doubt it's the actual photo, quite pricey.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Doubt it's the actual photo

Here you go, could be perfectly normal I've just never seen a proto that used tobe a real shell. Unless a shell was never made for it & they pillaged a Duck Hunt one, hard to believe it was licensed by Ninty though & they still couldn't get their hands on a blank shell

2qwioia.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,214 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's a bit strange alright.

Sometimes you do see them in shells, but the developers at least peeled the old label off.

Then again, maybe the fact that the label isn't peeled off means it's not a con job, as surely removing the label would be an obvious step if you were making a reproduction?

Or, maybe it's a double bluff, and the con artist left the label on to make us think the above.

Argh, now my head is in a spin :D

The board itself may have socketed eeproms. Being glued shut could have been a way for the devs to stop their code being ripped off.

Or as you said, it might be just a way of disguising a hack job.

Far too questionable to spend that much money on!

o1s1n wrote: »
    The board itself may have socketed eeproms. Being glued shut could have been a way for the devs to stop their code being ripped off.

But if someone wants whats on those eeproms, they only have to list the sticker off covering them. Gluing the shell shut seems a bit weird to me, it isn't gonna stop anyone from dumping the contents, but it does stop you seeing whats inside

Master of the Universe

But if someone wants whats on those eeproms, they only have to list the sticker off covering them. Gluing the shell shut seems a bit weird to me, it isn't gonna stop anyone from dumping the contents, but it does stop you seeing whats inside

The stickers covering the eeproms would be to protect them from UV rays. All protos have eeproms and therefore should have stickers. Some don't have stickers. You'd imagine this is because the developers didn't want that particular code to last forever.

Back then if you wanted to dump the contents, you'd need to remove the eeproms from their sockets. Dumping tools were something only devs had.

To do that, you need to open the shell. So gluing it might have been a protection from that.

If you are a developer and you get a cart like this back with the glue tampered with, you could pretty quickly tell what the person you gave it to was up to.

So you could, if you wanted to, explain all the abnormalities. The label itself does also have an aged look to it which also lends itself to being real.

If I bought it, the first thing I would do is to crack it open and check. You'd be mad not to!

o1s1n wrote: »
    The stickers covering the eeproms would be to protect them from UV rays. All protos have eeproms and therefore should have stickers. Some don't have stickers. You'd imagine this is because the developers didn't want that particular code to last forever.

Back then if you wanted to dump the contents, you'd need to remove the eeproms from their sockets. Dumping tools were something only devs had.

To do that, you need to open the shell. So gluing it might have been a protection from that.

If you are a developer and you get a cart like this back with the glue tampered with, you could pretty quickly tell what the person you gave it to was up to.

So you could, if you wanted to, explain all the abnormalities. The label itself does also have an aged look to it which also lends itself to being real.

If I bought it, the first thing I would do is to crack it open and check. You'd be mad not to!

No what I mean is, the only thing stopping you taking out the eproms in the above pic is the large sticker covering them...you can see them protruding from underneath. It'd be easy enough to remove the large sticker & remove the socketed eproms. The should have their own individual sticker on the uv window though as you mention, this large sticker is odd though...why would a proto be so well hidden like that?

The gluing of the case shut is really why I'm asking questions of it though, if you can remove the socketed eproms from where they protrude from the case...why bother gluing the shell shut?

Master of the Universe

No what I mean is, the only thing stopping you taking out the eproms in the above pic is the large sticker covering them...you can see them protruding from underneath. It'd be easy enough to remove the large sticker & remove the socketed eproms. The should have their own individual sticker on the uv window though as you mention, this large sticker is odd though...why would a proto be so well hidden like that?

The gluing of the case shut is really why I'm asking questions of it though, if you can remove the socketed eproms from where they protrude from the case...why bother gluing the shell shut?

If you remove the large sticker, then the developer knows it's been tampered with. Some of those security stickers are impossible to peel without destroying them.

If the shell wasn't glued closed, you could get around peeling off the sticker. Just unscrew the bottom shell and you're into the cart.

The eeprom surface area stuck to the sticker is very small, it may in fact be possible to unstick them once you're inside the cart if you're very careful. Leaving the big white sticker intact.

You could then dump, reassemble and return to the developer without them knowing anything had been tampered with.

One of my snes protos has something similar to this, two eeproms sticking out of a hole cut in the cart shell. However they don't have a big white sticker over them, just standard small eeprom window stickers. That's the first time I've seen that. So you're right, it might just be for dodgy 'I have an eeprom programmer at home and wanted to try it out' reasons.

Interesting to hypothesize over anyway! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

lol @ this woman trying to score a free copy of BLOPS 2

http://www.adverts.ie/games/blacks-ops-2-box/2516398

Sounds like peterxxxxxx has something in his pants up his sleeve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭mondeo

Adverts begger lol

Master of the Universe

New winner for most out of proportion control panel ever

3k23Na3H75Y65Ee5P3ccg0fd8ea3fc095183b.jpg

3Gb3I73la5V15H35Meccgac1bdbda6cb11f66.jpg

That's disgusting, and the guy who built it dumb as a bag of hammers.
    Whose the person with the extra long arms who just has to play Missile Command?
    Is there a link to this gamers page, the one where he inevitably tries to justify his role of Frankenstein in the creation of his Monster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I think this is what happens when you've no friends and try to make something suitable for more than one player. Says I, as though I could do any better.

Master of the Universe

You could almost fit a football field on that CP yet player 1 and player 2's controls are almost falling off the edge??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Tetris for only €25!
    http://www.adverts.ie/2595834

• Advertisement

Advertisement