Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamer of the year (Arcade Edition)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Not sure it qualifies, as they're bound to be lapped up.

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=26044917

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,214 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hah, look at this madness!

VGA graded Earthbound review cart...I'd say it's 1:1 with the retail release as he hasn't mentioned any differences.

$15,000? If someone pays that, I weep for humanity.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141008475254&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Hah, look at this madness!

VGA graded Earthbound review cart...I'd say it's 1:1 with the retail release as he hasn't mentioned any differences.

$15,000? If someone pays that, I weep for humanity.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141008475254&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

No refund either, so you've no recourse when you discover it's a reskinned Fifa '96.

Master of the Universe

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    No refund either, so you've no recourse when you discover it's a reskinned Fifa '96.

Hah! Yeah, gotta love the way he keeps saying not to remove it from the VGA box in case it 'damages the cart'.

I think he means 'in case you see an EA sports boot logo' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Wonder how many rare carts have been flashed like the mother 2 copies here

With a little bit of trial and error and testing the labels car be reproduced very easily. Makes me wonder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/game-boy-color/3342068

It's been reduced from €250 initially...!

Master of the Universe

Wonder how many rare carts have been flashed like the mother 2 copies here

With a little bit of trial and error and testing the labels car be reproduced very easily. Makes me wonder

The big tell is if the game runs the retail code. If it ran some funky ass code nobody has ever seen before then it's chances of being real are obviously a lot higher.

There really is no other way to check other than to test the cart/open it up and have a peek inside. The idea of leaving it in the VGA graded box and trusting the seller over 15k is laughable.

Even at that, because many prototype boards use socketed eeproms, they could still be fabricated if someone had the knowledge.

You'd need to be at a fairly high level to authenticate something like this. That's another area where I think the VGA are a load of pants - I seriously doubt those guys authenticate one off carts like this properly and just wing it.

Regarding forgeries, think of it this way - what's more risky, to rob a bank or to spend a few weeks gathering an original Nintendo empty prototype board, burning some eeproms, making up a case and sending it off to the VGA...

Not saying it's not legit, maybe it is...damn VGA box sets off alarm bells though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

VGA wouldnt even touch it, hence the NG (no grade)

Master of the Universe

VGA wouldnt even touch it, hence the NG (no grade)

They still put it in a perspex box and labeled it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

They still put it in a perspex box and labeled it though!

They'd put a dog**** in a perspex box with the amount they get away with charging for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/game-boy-color/3342068

It's been reduced from €250 initially...!

How much is that worth? Out of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

€30 to €40 without games.

Master of the Universe

€30 to €40 without games.

Even thats a bit of a stretch. I'd drop it to €25-30. You really can get them dirt cheap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Even thats a bit of a stretch. I'd drop it to €25-30. You really can get them dirt cheap.

I seen one last week at a market for a fiver! Granted theres a risk of it not working, but still its a long way from 200 quid. Crazy i tells yeh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Proco Jr. wrote: »

I saw that alright. The gas thing is they're about 10dollars on dealextreme.com or is it DX.com, same thing anyway.

I bought a multitap off there a week ago still waiting on delivery in fairness but have bought off there before and it just takes a while but eventually gets there.

Also got a couple of PS2 extension leads and a magnifyer yolk for the Kinect out of curiosity more than anything to be honest.

Definately a handy site for old PS2 stuff on the cheap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

keithgeo wrote: »
    I seen one last week at a market for a fiver! Granted theres a risk of it not working, but still its a long way from 200 quid. Crazy i tells yeh!

I've had an interesting exchange with the individual selling the outlandishly priced Gameboy Color.
    I am advised that the consoles price is based on it's new condition and that new the console was $250, hence the carefully considered price.
    So that's me told.
    It could be further argued that he is, in fact, full of crap, he went on to politely state that he had no intention of further discussing pricing as I obviously have no intention of buying his.

I only wish I had a Gameboy Color to sell at a reasonable price so I could show up his efforts as being a load of cobblers.

Or, alternatively, I could find a stockpile of then somewhere and sell them all for €200 each and party of my mortgage early!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    and that new the console was $250, hence the carefully considered price

Wow, anyone with a Phat PS3 is sitting on the guts of €700 so :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My 3DO is worth a fortune, being in a similar new condition, though unboxed!

That guy is a complete tool in his replys, it's so hard not to tell these guys how ridiculous they are

Master of the Universe

Argh, I can't help but comment on these ads, it's a sickness.

• Advertisement

keithgeo wrote: »
    That guy is a complete tool in his replys, it's so hard not to tell these guys how ridiculous they are

Now, however we might privately feel about this kind of seller we can't call them tools.
    Tis in the rules

cloud493 wrote: »

Seems a tad steep alright, how much do they typically go for?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Seems a tad steep alright, how much do they typically go for?

Less than that :p

Wiser people than I,
    Don't this guys GBA carts all look like knock offs?
    Or is it the photography?
    http://www.adverts.ie/search/user-735837
    MTI5MTdjMmMxNTI0MjZkMzkzMDM0OWJhODEyYzRmYzZb9R-rkL-eYFTkZj7dRr6BaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vYTAyNjAzMmNiYWM3YTViM2U3ZWM4OTk1MDUyNmVhNGUxNjQ5ZmIwYzk4ODk2Y2Y0MWY0MDI4NDZjZDg2NjM3ZS5qcGd8fDI5NHx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hZHZlcnRzLmllL3N0YXRpYy9pL3dhdGVybWFyay5wbmd8fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS9ub25lLWltYWdlLmpwZ3w=.jpg
    NmNhY2UxYTIzMTQ5M2VhOTBhODMyNGI1MDQzMTczNWIcmb6D_BdjxUMUShLc9kw8aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMDc2NzQ4YzE0YTMyMjE3ZDlmYjliMzE0NGE2ZTQzZGI1NjA1ODllOWRlZTQyNGRlMzNlNjRhMGRmZWNkYmY3ZC5qcGd8fDI5NHx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hZHZlcnRzLmllL3N0YXRpYy9pL3dhdGVybWFyay5wbmd8fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS9ub25lLWltYWdlLmpwZ3w=.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

They're fake.

The stretching on the first one is awful.

And the main giveaway, Pokemon Crystal was a GBC release.

somebody tell him,
    he might not know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

the Pokemon cart is not correct and the Mario sticker appears badly printed, possibly incorrect.

Repro GBA carts are everywhere, no way to be sure they are genuine without holding them in your hands.

EDIT: apparently the pokémon cart is even the wrong format.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

One good test is the check the circuit board above the cart connectors. Unless it's an extremely good repro it won't have the nintendo logo printed in white above them. You don't even have to open the cart to check.

• Advertisement

Advertisement