Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamer of the year (Arcade Edition)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

EnterNow wrote: »
    Soft15 doesn't work with Win7, I use XP x64 in my cab with Soft15

I've XP too but its well hidden. I wouldn't be showing the start button and background as a selling point on my candy cab:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've XP too but its well hidden. I wouldn't be showing the start button and background as a selling point on my candy cab:D

Ah right. I dunno, I'm not obsessed about hiding the OS, I have HS set to autostart & that's enough for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

What makes that even funnier is those games have been reduced In gamestop this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

he actually put up seperate ads trying to sell the games seperately for €29 & €32

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

GameStop are selling them for 8.88 each :P you can tell that's where he bought them in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

• Registered Users Posts: 10 econmara

keithgeo wrote: »
    Guess whos back.. back again..

http://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/custom-built-mame-bartop-cabinet/3433906

Price drop of about 175.. :pac:

Wow.

So that is my cab there and it sold eventually for €1200. I broke down the cost of it completely for him, the parts came to about €700 and I got about €500 for building and configuring which took me about 60 hours spread over a few months. The reason for the high price on adverts.ie was because i thought people would try and barter and i was looking for around 1200.

I'm not sure what all the hate is about, I love arcade machines and i think mame cabs are a great way to remember those games even if they are not quite perfect recreations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Parts came to 700 for that?

Jesus christ, what did you put in it?

econmara wrote: »
    I'm not sure what all the hate is about, I love arcade machines and i think mame cabs are a great way to remember those games even if they are not quite perfect recreations.

There's no hate, but in all honesty, you could nearly buy three original Candy cabs for the asking price of your bartop. There's no chance it all it is worth that money, & I said that with all due respect.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Maybe the pc inside is like really expensive, and made of gold and platinum, and was owned by Bono, and signed by The Woz.......
    Steve still probably has two of them though..... ;)

The pc is worth about 200 or 250. I took a piss beside Bono once in a pub.......didn't look.

EnterNow wrote: »
    There's no hate, but in all honesty, you could nearly buy three original Candy cabs for the asking price of your bartop. There's no chance it all it is worth that money, & I said that with all due respect.

Yes that fine, but what if you want a mame cab that is plug and play. I would love to have an original arcade machine sf3 third strike or neo geo multi are my dreams but i don't have the space or the time to be replacing parts and stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Wow.

So that is my cab there and it sold eventually for €1200. I broke down the cost of it completely for him, the parts came to about €700 and I got about €500 for building and configuring which took me about 60 hours spread over a few months. The reason for the high price on adverts.ie was because i thought people would try and barter and i was looking for around 1200.

1200 is a crazy price for a bartop dude, i built a full size cab for less than half that. Like enternow said, you could buy 3 original, proper arcade cabs for that price.

Im glad you sold it for 1200, hope you snapped that guys hand off for the money!

Yes that fine, but what if you want a mame cab that is plug and play. I would love to have an original arcade machine sf3 third strike or neo geo multi are my dreams but i don't have the space or the time to be replacing parts and stuff.

Oh i wasn't knocking bartops, if you don't have the space they are perfect. But again, there's not a hope in hell a home-made bartop is worth €1200. I think €250 maybe €350 is the max I'd pay for something like that, unless it was something different like an actual converted real one or something.

Building cabs is a labour of love, & definitely not something thats easy to recoup costs on.

Parts came to 700 for that?

Jesus christ, what did you put in it?

A decent pc, a decent sound system, good monitor, trackball, mini-pac etc.

Whats the mystery here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Fair play for getting that money for it !!

I've build a good few at this stage and know the costs involved, both in time and materials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,213 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A decent pc, a decent sound system, good monitor, trackball, mini-pac etc.

Whats the mystery here?

Why would you need something beyond a €150 PC to emulate old games?

What kind of sound system have you got in there? A Denon amplifier?

I don't mean disrespect either and I like seeing home builds, but even if you did put €1000's worth of money into it, you're basically building something redundantly expensive - there's no need for a bartop of that expense to exist.

The fact that you say it sold for €1200 boggles my mind.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Why would you need something beyond a €150 PC to emulate old games?

What kind of sound system have you got in there? A Denon amplifier?

I don't mean disrespect either and I like seeing home builds, but even if you did put €1000's worth of money into it, you're basically building something redundantly expensive - there's no need for a bartop of that expense to exist.

The fact that you say it sold for €1200 boggles my mind.

Well.......maybe you might like to play sf4 for instance, or even have a frontend menu system that boots and moves and loads very fast.

Some old emulated games don't run well unless you have a bit more processing power.

Shienryu always caused me some hassle.

Master of the Universe

Are the pc specs for SF IV and Hyperspin considered that high any more relative to hardware advancements?

I dunno man, it just seems like a huge amount for a bartop - it does look like a decent build, but to put it in perspective, my Jaleco Pony III (very rare candy cab with a waiting period of months) was less than that...and that included a complete respray in a bodywork shop and posting all 90kg of it from The Netherlands.

Fair play to you for finding a buyer, but I think you had a lot of luck there. Wouldn't advise building another one! :pac:

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Are the pc specs for SF IV and Hyperspin considered that high any more relative to hardware advancements?

I dunno man, it just seems like a huge amount for a bartop - it does look like a decent build, but to put it in perspective, my Jaleco Pony III (very rare candy cab with a waiting period of months) was less than that...and that included a complete respray in a bodywork shop and posting all 90kg of it from The Netherlands.

Fair play to you for finding a buyer, but I think you had a lot of luck there. Wouldn't advise building another one! :pac:

I love those machines and if it wasn't for the wife i might get one, but why would you compare it to a jaleco pony? They are two very different things. What if you want a mame cabinet?

Master of the Universe

Depends what kind of MAME cab. I could turn my Pony in a MAME cab if I wanted.

If I wanted to do is as cheaply as possible, I'd pick up a generic good condition woody for about €200 with original monitor, whack in a JPAC (approx €50) a €150-€250 PC for a total spend of around €500 tops.

I compared it to a Jaleco Pony because your home build is clocking in closer to that kind of price range - so am showing you what you should really get for that kind of money instead.

They're not that big by the way, monitor is 25 inches - much smaller than the bigger 29 inch candy cabs. One of the reasons they go for a good deal more.

There are people out there who would love to have a mame cab that plays all their old console and arcade games, but they don't know how to build one or configure the emulators and the frontend or wire up the controls or find a good condition woody for 200 or transport it to their house or mess around with the back of the monitor or hook up a video card to a monitor or stop a pc from getting too warm when its kept inside a box or have a massive cabinet in their living room etc.

How much would you charge for your €500 build?

Please stop talkin about the jaleco because i do have €1200 in a drawer and very little willpower!!!

Master of the Universe

See the pricing this is why just because you can build something to sell, doesn't mean it's a good idea. Sometimes the time put in is worth more than the finished article.

It's something the modder guys here are all too familiar with. You can't exactly charge an arm and a leg to mod a console - however the work involved in some mods can be quite time consuming. Worth more than the mod itself - so it can be a difficult one to judge.

That's why I'd never build a cab to sell - I'd only sell if I really needed to get rid of it. And if I were doing that, I'd be selling it just to cover my initial spend.

Regarding that money in a drawer, go for it man! :D Buy a big woody cab, freak your missus out and then 'settle' for a much smaller candy. She'll be delighted once the big monster goes and a small cab rolls in ;)

wow 1200e
    Where was that guy when I was selling that cab last week!
    I think my E2 was 1200 landed
    A fool and his monies are soon parted!
    (that applies to me too ;) )

Master of the Universe

So which cab is your fav? E2, Blast or Naomi? Or do I even need to ask? :D

urbanledge wrote: »
    wow 1200e
    Where was that guy when I was selling that cab last week!
    I think my E2 was 1200 landed
    A fool and his monies are soon parted!
    (that applies to me too ;) )

He was buying my cab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

When craved an Arcade I originally wanted a Mame bartop albeit not a 1200 one .

I wish this one was a bit closer to me, it even has a nice little CRT :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bartop-Arcade-Cabinet-/300958500148

I know he was and he's a fool!
    fair play to you tho.

If I could only keep one it'd be the E2
    The monitor is so good.And the rotate mech is so handy.

I dont usually get attached to stuff TBH.
    But going to try keep the E2 for life if possible!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Casey120 wrote: »
    When craved an Arcade I originally wanted a Mame bartop albeit not a 1200 one .

I wish this one was a bit closer to me, it even has a nice little CRT :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bartop-Arcade-Cabinet-/300958500148

That's a class little unit, love the fact it has a CRT as you mention. Has LS-56's too! Very nice.

Advertisement