Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query on Payment Terms

Options
  • 31-05-2011 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi,

Just a quick thing on my ESB bill, before the ESB changed to Electric Ireland, my bill came out online, and I used to pay a bit off it every week and it would be paid of by the time the new bill came out. This was never queried and ESB always used to be happy enough with this. I would never hear anything from them unless I forgot about the bill, which I would then settle as soon as I could.

Since the changeover however, I've already got 2 phonecalls about the bill outstanding. I thought they just wanted me to make some payment which I did but I have got another phone call today and they are all ready looking for me to pay off the bill in full, something which I have never done or will never be able to afford to do.

What is the story with payment now, am I going to be hounded for it all as soon as the bill is out or can I not keep paying the way I used to and prob the way many many other people have???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi ruthiepie,

Our credit terms of payment within 14 days (further details here) haven't changed with the rebranding, nor has our policy on collecting outstanding amounts. Did you update your contact details with us recently perhaps?

If you have trouble clearing your bill within the 14 days, the best thing is to contact us directly to arrange a payment schedule (see here). You might also be interested in availing of our easypay card, which gives you the freedom to prepay your bill weekly/monthly, or at whatever intervals suit.

Please feel free to PM me your details if you need any help.

Thanks,

David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭ruthiepie

Nope none of my contact details have changed and have never heard from ESB so much in the last couple of days since I've joined with ESB. Its only since the changeover has happened that these phone calls have started and to be honest if this is the way they're starting off, I might have to look into changing providers. I was always happy enough and never needed to changed, but I think the day might be coming soon where I will leave ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 driveshaft

Hi ruthiepie,

Our credit terms of payment within 14 days (further details here) haven't changed with the rebranding, nor has our policy on collecting outstanding amounts. Did you update your contact details with us recently perhaps?

If you have trouble clearing your bill within the 14 days, the best thing is to contact us directly to arrange a payment schedule (see here). You might also be interested in availing of our easypay card, which gives you the freedom to prepay your bill weekly/monthly, or at whatever intervals suit.

Please feel free to PM me your details if you need any help.

Thanks,

David.

Hi David,

I am having a similar experience to Ruth below. Whilst I understand that the credit terms are unchanged, I take exception in the manner in which the collections department are contacting me unrelentlingly regarding my account.

I settle my bill in full each time it's due, however as i get paid mid-month, I usually pay no later than 20 days after the issue date of the bill. I have done this for the last 5 years with no issue, no threatening calls or letters. However, since ESB Electric Ireland started billing, this has changed. In the past week I received no less than 5 calls from pig-ignorant staff who had no interest in listening to what I have to say and who are adament to impose payment plans onto me. Each time I have asked them have they checked my account history to see do they realise that the account has been left unpaid for more than 20 days - each time they answer no - and then proceed to tell me that I am at risk of being cut off if i don't pay.

Can you please ask your staff to review customer accounts before making intimidating phone calls like those I have received in the past week. I accept my account is not being paid within the 14 days, but I do not accept the poor level of basic customer service being exercised by ESB Electric Ireland. At this point in time, I am strongly considering moving from ESB as a result.

Thank you,
    DG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi driveshaft,

I'm very sorry to hear of this. In the interests of maintaining our high standards of customer care, can you please PM me your details so I can investigate this for you?

Thanks,

David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Likewise, I have been a customer for over 20 years and always pay my bill before a new one arrives - never any problem until recently

Now I am getting threatening and menacing phonecalls on behalf of ESB from people who sound nothing less than scumbags if I let the bill run for even three weeks

On one occasion I was asked when I was going to pay - I said check your facts as I've paid, to which i was told - oh i see that now !!

I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that none was available and the person at the end of the phone refused to give their name

so much for looking after customers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi jacko1,

If you like, I can check this for you.

I would require, by private message, the account number, name of the account-holder, confirmation that you are the named account-holder, and the postal address/telephone number on the account.

Regards,
    Una

Jeez ESB are really starting to annoy me now, in work so cant answer any phone calls plus dont answer private numbers anyway and to date i have had 1 phone on call on friday, one on monday and 2 all ready today all from ESB.

My next bill isnt due til next month so in the meantime doing what i always did to date. They're really annoying me!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

ruthiepie wrote: »
    Jeez ESB are really starting to annoy me now, in work so cant answer any phone calls plus dont answer private numbers anyway and to date i have had 1 phone on call on friday, one on monday and 2 all ready today all from ESB.

My next bill isnt due til next month so in the meantime doing what i always did to date. They're really annoying me!! :mad:

If it's a private number and you didn't answer how can you even tell that it's the ESB?

Also, irrespective of past practices,your bill has always been due 14 days after the date of issue. Not paying it by this date is technically breach of contract and as such the ESB are enttled to terminate your supply. People seem to think that normal credit terms don't apply to electicity bills. If you agree to pay within 14 days then why don't you? As you freely admit; you have been flouting your contractual obligations for years now.

Every time the private number rings me, its leaves a voicemail, and surprise surprise, its the ESB every time. And they have rung me every day this week. I wouldnt mind either but I actually dont have much of my bill left to pay, im sure there are other people out there with higher bills that aren't getting rung as much.

Yes and I do understand that it should be paid within 14 days, but realistically, how many people have done it this way. For years ESB have left you pay a bit off every week, and in this day and age with pay cuts and everything like that, I cannot get it paid off within the 14 days like they want. It was never queried either until they changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi all,

Just to advise: if you would like us to check your account, we can do so no problem via private message.

Regards :)
    Una

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It is very common knowledge that ESB have seriously tightened up their credit control & are cutting off about 30 people per day. There have been calls from TD's & MABS for an enquiry into this practice which has been stopped elsewhere.

The UK stopped disconnections & switched to installing cardmeters that automatically collect the arrears over a long period. Also they require the Electricity companies to get a Court Order before disconnection so that there is an independent arbiter.

There is also a serious problem because it is impossible to speak to ESB Credit Control. If you need to set up a payment plan you call Customer Services but they have to refer it to Credit Control & there are long delays. Also Credit Control will not use email so you will have to rely on them phoning you.

If you have a serious problem then don't expect the Commission for Energy Regulation - they are about as useful as COMREG.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Discodog wrote: »
    It is very common knowledge that ESB have seriously tightened up their credit control & are cutting off about 30 people per day.

Esb networks do the disconnections on behalf of the supplier, be it esb customer supply, airtricity or bord gais. They are forced to disconnect if the supplier instructs them to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

ESB has always offered card meters to customers in arrears and still does so. There would obviously be certain criteria to be met.

Advertisement