Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suspicious activity

• 31-05-2011 12:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭

I hope I'm in the right place,My g-mail account required my phone number as suspicious activity had been monitored,and a new password had to be put in place,I'm on boards jumbletown and facebook and thats it,I'm a bit of a greenhorn with the computer could somone please enlighten me as to what suspicious activity means.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Your account could have been hacked - the password cracked and used by somebody else to send, say, spam.

Log into your account and scroll down to the bottom and you'll see this line:

Last account activity: 27 minutes ago on this computer. Details

Click on the details link and it will show you where your account has been accessed from. If you see any foreign countries (that you haven't checked your e-mail from) then you account may have been compromised.

The advice would be to change your password. Google does ask for your mobile - this allows them to send you a code/password to access your account if you're ever locked out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

thanks Brian,took your advice,low and behold at 4.06am an I.P number from the Phillipines,anyway I can find out who it is???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

littlemis wrote: »
    thanks Brian,took your advice,low and behold at 4.06am an I.P number from the Phillipines,anyway I can find out who it is???

unlikely to find a who behind it unless serious criminal damage was done and then the relevant police authorities would take it over.

They might have just pee'd off all your contacts by sending them links to "too good to be true electronic goods" or google may have intercepted and sent them all to the spam folders.

I'd also recommend doing the two factor authentication thing - its a little pain for big peace of mind. This is where you give google your mobile phone number and before you can log in each time (or optionally every 30 days from a specific computer) you must enter a one time use code which they will send to your mobile as a text message - this, in addition to your normal username and password. This service is free.

Also if you are setting it up take note of the manual codes which they will give you (10 of em) which you can use should you not be able to access your mobile phone (stolen, left behind somewhere, or I have found the early morning can be a delay in sending your the text message - probably due to lots of people logging in to their gmail at once 9am-ish or the mobile providers having issues around that time).

If you are using a life password, you should go to anything that is important to you and change your password there as a just in case measure.

Thanks for your help guys,I did have to change the password and type in a six figure number,I checked the spam and there were 11 failed "mail delivery sub-system",is there a way to report spam?O:)nce again thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

How did it get hacked in the first place? Your PC may be riddled with keyloggers/trojans. Make sure your anti-malware is up-to-date and do full scan.

• Advertisement

will do,thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

littlemis wrote: »
    Thanks for your help guys,I did have to change the password and type in a six figure number,I checked the spam and there were 11 failed "mail delivery sub-system",is there a way to report spam?O:)nce again thanks for your help.

when you have a message open in gmail, there is a report spam option above the message itself - top left(ish). Click report spam and it will vanish (to your spam folder) plus gmail i'm sure will take note of it and if they get enough reports, they will act on it for other users too.

If its already in your spam folder then they've already picked it up so nothing that you can do.

srsly78 wrote: »
    How did it get hacked in the first place? Your PC may be riddled with keyloggers/trojans. Make sure your anti-malware is up-to-date and do full scan.

As to the HOW,we don't know...We ran a scan as suggested,nothing detected by way of threat/virus etc....Thankfully.Sweet,so we are happy out....Your guess as to the HOWS of it all,has to be better than mine,that much I do know...:)

To all of you who took time out to reply,with suggestions,assistance and prompts,I THANK YOU ALL....:)

Advertisement