Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Recognising No Claims Bonus

Options
  • 31-05-2011 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

I've got a small problem with my insurance company and would appreciate any advice. My driving history goes something like this: 3 years continuous named driver experience. Then I was on the policy for about 4 of the next 6 months when I was looking for my own car. I then purchased my own car and had my own policy for eight months when I was offered a work exchange program in the States. I bought a car 2 months in over there and had the policy for ten months.

In total I have been driving for just under five years with no accidents. I can forgive them for not recognising my American NCB but because my named driver experience was over a year ago they won't acknowledge it and because my own policy was for under one year that is also not counted. I now have zero NCB despite paying over the odds for almost five years (I'm 22 male). So angry with my insurance company as they advised me to cancel my policy when I was in America as opposed to simply postponing it. I am now paying a couple of hundred more than I did before I left when I was two years younger getting my first policy (And for anyone interested insurance as a 21 year old on a 3.8 litre car cost me $40 a month in the States :eek:)

All the other companies I've tried will also not give me credit for my experience. Don't see why the policy has to be "continuous". In my eyes I've been insured for at least four years (in Ireland). So annoyed because I've signed up for monthly installments but I am going back to college for a year next year and can't see how I am going to be able to afford the installments once I start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Trampas

Named driver doesn't count for ncb.

policy has to be in your name.

if you were a named driver for a few years and took our a policy on your own with the same company they may give you a few bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Trampas wrote: »

if you were a named driver for a few years and took our a policy on your own with the same company they may give you a few bonus

I think its 2 years named for 1 year NCB with some. Depends really.

Insurance companies suck in General. I have 6 years NCB in Holland (4 Ireland and 2 Netherlands) but if i ever go back to Ireland i'll have zero, bloody sucks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

A broker is probably the best bet in a situation like this - some times they can get deals done that can't be done talking to a call centre person who can do nothing unless its allowed on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Your driving history shows erratic driving experience under different jurisdictions and, to be honest, not very attractive to insurers. You seem to think that when you were a named driver that it gives you some entitlement, well it doesn't. The policyholder was gambling their NCB every time you got in to the car. Named drivers have no rights under a policy

Most insurers, however, will treat a prolonged claim free driving history as some indication that you are a reasonable driver. You are failing to provide that evidence.

I don't mean to be harsh but that is the fact of the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

There are a couple of insurers who take named drivers into account, but not many, and only for 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

as previously posted, go to a broker listed on setanta insurance's website, believe me, it's your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Trampas wrote: »

It did for me with the AA. When I got my wife her own car, she qualified for a discount based on her named driving on my policy. I thought it was three years, but when she checked (it was was AA Insurance as well), it was five.

That was about three years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Its his age thats the issue.

I know FBD will allow the full compliment if he was a named driver on an FBD policy (easy to check the driving history) however if he wasnt,with FBD and clearly other companies he will get little or nothing.

@superscouse,you were driving on your wifes policy,spousal NCD is fine plus I presume you are over 25.

OP,have you contacted the company you were insured with for the 3 consecutive years?They may well be your best bet.Alternatively try Brittons (brokers based out of Donegal) that have a large amount of companies on their books.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

oldyouth wrote: »
    Your driving history shows erratic driving experience under different jurisdictions and, to be honest, not very attractive to insurers. You seem to think that when you were a named driver that it gives you some entitlement, well it doesn't. The policyholder was gambling thier NCB every time you got in to the car. Named drivers have no rights uner a policy

Most insurers, however, will treat a prolonged claim free driving history as some indication that you are a reasonable driver. You are failing to provide that evidence.

I don't mean to be harsh but that is the fact of the situation.

Your bluntness is appreciated. I guess it's just frustrating that my policy has gone up by €150 even though I now have almost two years more experience on the road. If they had just recommended postponing my policy instead of canceling I would have avoided this mess. Going to a broker is good advice I think I'll try call a couple tomorrow and see if I have better luck. Thanks for all the replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement