Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty Dozen Adventure Challenge - Bray 22/10/11

Options
  • 31-05-2011 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

Sorry thats the "Dirty" Dozen Adventure Challenge. New 20k in Bray this June. Looks like a tough aul slog.

Starting in bray, run up bray head, then the little sugar loaf, and then the big sugar loaf, a serious adventure with amazing views, check out the details on:

http://www.runireland.com/events/dirty-dozen-adventure-challenge

Not sure about the 'pasta party' but the rest looks good!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Genuine question- why would people do this at €32 entry to run, when there's an established IMRA season of better hill races for €7 a pop? Is it because they're calling this an "adventure" race?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sounds like a decent event. Anyone heard of Click Events Ltd?
    Pity it's the week after IMRA's Dublin Mountain Plod, which I'll most certainly be doing. Still, might consider doing both..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Genuine question- why would people do this at €32 entry to run, when there's an established IMRA season of better hill races for €7 a pop? Is it because they're calling this an "adventure" race?
    To be fair, the equivalent event in IMRA (The Mountain Plod) is €30 for non members, and is a circular route, so no transportation back to the start is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

I never said it was good value!
    Maybe the organisers are after a different crowd? I'd never heard of IMRA before I started posting in the ART forums so I'm sure alot of regular runners like myself would like to test themselves in something like this before doing a IMRA race
    Pity it's the week after IMRA's Dublin Mountain Plod, which I'll most certainly be doing. Still, might consider doing both..

They organised the 'Hunt of a Run' 10k in Killruddery Wicklow last October. Good trails race I have to say. More challenging than the Urban Trails Series IMO. I was thinking about the Plod myself. Went up Killiney hill and had a look at (from afar!) the hills in both races and I have to say the Dirty Dozen looks alot tougher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

To be fair, the equivalent event in IMRA (The Mountain Plod) is €30 for non members, and is a circular route, so no transportation back to the start is required.

Plod, Dublin Mountain Partnership, giving something back, IMRA, shortage of volunteers, profiteers muscling in, quick buck, makes blood boil, granted its free country, gripe, gripe, gripe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

They organised the "Hunt of a Run" last year, which got a lot of criticism here as well as the "Marathon Cooldown" 8k in Phoenix Park, which got a lot of slack in advance, but seemed to have been okay on the day.

Peckham wrote: »
    They organised the "Hunt of a Run" last year, which got a lot of criticism here.

Thats true there was a problem with the route and some people went off course. I guess I just have fond memories as it was my first (and only!) top 3 finish :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

looks like a good hard race, the pedant in me wonders if there really are separate sets of prizes for those attending the pasta party and those who merely enjoy a well earned chocolate bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The pedant in me is wondering where the dozen comes into it, am I missed the nose on my face ?

edit: It appears I am, it's the dozen as in the dozen and a half miles, pedant still applies. Maybe the Dirty Bakers Dozen is more appropriate :)

Theres the course!!! Looks handy enough! :eek:

picfdbak1-01419-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭In the Woods

Did a "recce" on Saturday morning, got lost a few times (there are a few ways up the Little Sugar Loaf) but even taking the right route, it'll be a tough race. Reminded me a bit of the Wicklow Way Trail, only that the ascents are much steeper.

The start is a bit of a lung-buster but once you're up on Bray Head it's a nice downhill over Windgates and into Kilruddery farm. The downhill from the Little Sugarloaf (presuming we took the right way) is a bit of a pain as it's very narrow and difficult to get any momentum going.

The Sugarloaf is what it is, not a long climb but a steep one, and after the previous 2 climbs I was really feeling it in the legs.

Hopefully it won't be as warm as it was on Saturday morning, I could wring the t-shirt out at the end.

Looks like this one has been postponed folks. A message on facebook claims low numbers as the reason.
    Dear "Dirty Dozen Adventurer"

Thank you for your support in entering the inaugural Dirty Dozen adventure race and excepting this tough yet rewarding challenge. However, to date only a few brave souls have entered for Dirty Dozen Challenge. We have had a meeting with our Prize Sponsors and we have decided to reschedule the event until the 22nd of October this year, as we believe that this event will be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Sounds like a great route. I pretty much proposed this last year on the imra site (I think). The route in question was ran in bygone days if I recall a forum post to that effect by Douglas at the time. I wonder was someone watching :rolleyes:

I paid €27 for todays plod race. So no difference really. Basically I paid the extra 7 to get the t-shirt. Glad I did. Its the biz.

They'd want the road well marshalled. Thats a very busy road between Bray and Greystones....

The naming is a bit odd. They could have come up with a 3 peaks type name?

The 22nd October will rule any Dublin Marathon runners :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭In the Woods

Only 14 had signed up. Probably my best ever chance for a top 3 finish out the window now ;)

Gonna get a refund as I'll be signing up for the Dublin marathon. Pity cos I was really looking forward to the route. Imra should definitely look at this route. No issues with parking, the only issue is the extra cost for organising a bus (similar to the Wicklow Way Trail) to bring people from the Glenview hotel to the Bray seafront for the start.

Really enjoyed the recce of the route, I'll probably do it again over the summer. Stunning views and I can see my house from each of the peaks.

Theres the access issue too to get permission to cross lands in Kilruddery. If that was sorted and you could get marshalls sorted then it could be worth a run out.

By way of alternative, I found a trail about 2 years ago which links the little Sugar Loaf and the flyover at the Glenview (its waymarked from the flyover direction but not from the other way I think). You could do this option without taking in the big Sugar Loaf or take in a loop around Glen of the Downs.

Looking forward to this now! It will be my longest race to date and it looks like it will definitely be the toughest race I've ever done :D But ya wouldnt do it if it was easy! :cool: TBH this has creeped upon me, I thought it was at least another few weeks away :eek:

Its on the 22nd of October (next Saturday) so maybe a mod could edit the thread title???

I hope the rearranged date has given the organizers a chance to get a few more people signed up!

Heres the site

Would love to do the route, but a week before the marathon and 40 quid. Think I'll be giving it a miss and doing a recce on my own time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

Looks a like a good one alright, thinking about doing it myself.
    Miss the cycle races so trying to keep fit and interested. This might be the job

Would love to do the route, but a week before the marathon and 40 quid. Think I'll be giving it a miss and doing a recce on my own time. :rolleyes:

Tis *only* €32.50 for those who dont want a t-shirt... or eh... pasta.....:)

Too steep an asking price IMHO. For 7 quid I can do a 16k hill race on 12 Nov which doesn't involve crossing potentially busy roads.

• Advertisement

Just after registering , looking forward to it. Bring on the pain.
    Just on a side note, I know some people are saying it's a bit dear etc. And you can do it by yourself much cheaper, but I love the buzz and comraderie that comes with any event. Otherwise it's just a training session. These events dont just happen by themselves, therefore I dont mind paying
    My 2cents

I hope it warms up just a touch for Saturday! brrr its freezing out there! :eek:

Too steep an asking price IMHO. For 7 quid I can do a 16k hill race on 12 Nov which doesn't involve crossing potentially busy roads.
    Excellent event,great atmosphere and the weather held up. Between the Guards stopping traffic on the roads and the marshals it was well sorted.
    Very tough and very scenic !

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

J Madone wrote: »
    Excellent event,great atmosphere and the weather held up. Between the Guards stopping traffic on the roads and the marshals it was well sorted.
    Very tough and very scenic !

Could not agree more very nice race and it was tough

Advertisement