Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get saorview on sony hdd dvd recorder

Options
  • 31-05-2011 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I installed saorview channels on my Philips TV over the weekend. I have a Sony Hdd Dvd recorder with both analog and digital input. I tried to install the digital channels on my recorder but it doesn't seem to work. The signal strength is good and it recognises the digital channels, and I install them. But when I go to digital input, the screen is black and it says this service is not available on this recorder. Anyone else having this problem that can help?? Please!! :(

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from N&F.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I installed saorview channels on my Philips TV over the weekend. I have a Sony Hdd Dvd recorder with both analog and digital input. I tried to install the digital channels on my recorder but it doesn't seem to work. The signal strength is good and it recognises the digital channels, and I install them. But when I go to digital input, the screen is black and it says this service is not available on this recorder. Anyone else having this problem that can help?? Please!! :(

Hi Michelle, Does the Sony DHH recorder have a digital receiver built in that supports Saorview?

If not then it wont work. The built in Saorview receiver for the TV is designed for viewing Saorview on that tv, not to output to an alternate device such as a HDD. I would assume if there is not saorview receiver in the sony box that you would have to purchase an external Saorview receiver and this can be plugged into the Sony HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I think all HDD/DVD recorders are MPEG-2 only i.e. UK DTT standard. I can't think of any MPEG-4 (Irish DTT standard) HDD/DVD products on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

DVD recorders typically only support MPEG-2 compression. Saorview uses MPEG-4 compression for video so it's likely that your Sony doesn't support it. You may be able to record from the TV to the Sony using a SCART lead, but that means that you can only record what you are currently watching. There is no Saorview approved recorder yet. There are some boxes which have a facility to record to hard disk or USB stick, but they may not be fully compatible with Series Linking etc. when it eventually is implemented. It's a bit of a waiting game, unfortunately:(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Even if it worked, a DVD might not hold a full HF film. Also a Digtal DVD recorder can only record MPEG2 as MPEG4 *VIDEO* DVD doesn't exist really, only MPEG4 in PC files on a DVD.

DVD recorders are now obsolete.

Only HDD or HDD + BluRay are proper PVRs. There are receivers that take an external USB stick or HDD, but they often only support FAT32 and are not true PVRs.

Some of the true "Freeview HD" HDR/PVRs are mostly OK on Saorview, but there can be issues of time and we don't know yet if Series Link works.

There is no true Saorview PVR yet.

Avoid the Panasonic "Freeview HD" HDD PVR with BluRay (BD) Recorder/Player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

watty wrote: »
    Even if it worked, a DVD might not hold a full HF film. Also a Digtal DVD recorder can only record MPEG2 as MPEG4 *VIDEO* DVD doesn't exist really, only MPEG4 in PC files on a DVD.

DVD recorders are now obsolete.

Only HDD or HDD + BluRay are proper PVRs. There are receivers that take an external USB stick or HDD, but they often only support FAT32 and are not true PVRs.

Some of the true "Freeview HD" HDR/PVRs are mostly OK on Saorview, but there can be issues of time and we don't know yet if Series Link works.

There is no true Saorview PVR yet.

Avoid the Panasonic "Freeview HD" HDD PVR with BluRay (BD) Recorder/Player.

Do you know if the Sony HDT 500 Twin Tuner Freeview HD PVR will receive Saorview on same EPG as Freeview? I'm thinking of purchasing one but not clear if you can receive and record Saorview as well as Freeview. Have been told that if you input UK settings at install only Freeview appears while if you input ROI settings Saorview appears so you can't have both at the same time. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kelsca

I have a sony RDR-HXD870.I bought it in 2008.This unit has a digital & analog tuner,however the digital tuner never was and never will be compatible with Saorview.When ASO occurs next year,both tuners on this unit will be useless.
    As the digital tuner was "never fit for purpose"and because of ASO,a 4 year old unit will "not be fit for purpose",I wonder would there be any point in arguing a case for replacement with sony or the retailer?
    Points of view invited.
    BTW,the Sony.ie website still has the more recent models of this recorder listed and Sony's own CS say they have no model which is compatible with Saorview!!!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

kelsca wrote: »
    I have a sony RDR-HXD870.I bought it in 2008.This unit has a digital & analog tuner,however the digital tuner never was and never will be compatible with Saorview.When ASO occurs next year,both tuners on this unit will be useless.
    As the digital tuner was "never fit for purpose"and because of ASO,a 4 year old unit will "not be fit for purpose",I wonder would there be any point in arguing a case for replacement with sony or the retailer?
    Points of view invited.
    BTW,the Sony.ie website still has the more recent models of this recorder listed and Sony's own CS say they have no model which is compatible with Saorview!!!!!.

I have a similar Sony to yours (HXD890) and as I live in NI and get Freeview it does a good job for me at present being able to record both UK digital and ROI analogue. After DSO obviously the analogue tuner becomes redundant and this is why I'm thinking of purchasing the Sony Freeview HD Twin Tuner but your latter comment re Sony CS doesn't sound very positive in this regard.

Advertisement