Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review my build (and cut down the budget) please!

Options
  • 31-05-2011 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

And quick!

this will be ordered soon so i need any help possible.

Requirements:
    i7-2600k
    monitor
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    speakers
    Headset
    wifi card
    Dont need OS. will be using W7 x64

Has to be from Scan.co.uk
    Limit of £1000 including shipping. not much over please.

Where can i shave some money off?

161132.JPG

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I can really see how you can drop the cost down to closer to 1k bar going with a 2500k.
    Do you really need the HT of the 2600k?

I presume your going to OC it but you dont have an aftermarket cooler added.

Another thing is,
    That psu @ 500watts looks to me that its a bit weak for that build.
    I though the 6950 needed around a 600watt?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Go back and order some of those items from the 'today only' page and you'll save some cash, e.g. you're paying £69.79 for your RAM and it's £65.99 on the today only page.
    Also register with AVForums and create a new account and you'll get £7.99+VAT off your shipping (need to make the order over the phone).

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

unfortunately, i dont actually need an i7, and an i5 would be fine, but this build is for a friend who's buying a Dell XPS with an i7 (not K) and ive to convince him to get this instead. i dont want to lose if he argues my i5-2500k vs Dells i7-2600. a mild OC would suffice for now, so the aftermarket cooler can be sacrificed.

i honestly hate Scan's website. HWVS is cheaper and better.

My friends company is paying the first €600 for the PC, but for this i assume all they'd need is an Invoice and Vat number? can anyone correct me on this who's done it before? Has anyone done this with Hardwareversand?

Your CPU and M/Board are costing you £357.40, if you drop to a i5 2500k with the same M/Board on a combo deal (today only page again) this drops your outlay to £266.39, savings of £91.01

-ignore, crossed with your post

slave1 wrote: »
    Go back and order some of those items from the 'today only' page and you'll save some cash, e.g. you're paying £69.79 for your RAM and it's £65.99 on the today only page.
    Also register with AVForums and create a new account and you'll get £7.99+VAT off your shipping (need to make the order over the phone).
    Thanks for the info. im just waiting for their today only page to update as its after 2pm.

I know of the avforums scan thing, but unfortunately "You must have been a registered member of AVForums.com for at least 14 days. Registration is FREE!"

im a member of it though. if he phones through his order, can he just quote my username or something? actually, it should work anyway if he just orders through my link.

• Advertisement

Ah i see.
    Why dont you make up a list on scan with as close as posible to the parts that he would get on the dell just to show him how much over the odds he will be paying?

game4it70 wrote: »
    Ah i see.
    Why dont you make up a list on scan with as close as posible to the parts that he would get on the dell just to show him how much over the odds he will be paying?
    i was in the process of doing that, but its hard to compare prices because of stuff like the the PSU: 430W. no usb3 or SATA3 support on the dell (wow) HD6670

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

Maybe this is a personal preference, but if your desperate to shave some money of that. Is the mouse and keyboard really needed to be that extravagant? Theres always lots of deals on offer for optical pad+mouse. Logictech are shoving thier 20€ mouse + keyboard deals in every shop i see.

Would save you the bones of 50.

As it was said before also, is the PSU suitable for that rig? Ive a 500 PSU but my rig aint as good as yours with graphics and i thought i just scraped by?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    i was in the process of doing that, but its hard to compare prices because of stuff like the the PSU: 430W. no usb3 or SATA3 support on the dell (wow) HD6670

Just make it up as you go along since he wont know the difference since he is buying a dell in the first place :P :o

I know of the avforums scan thing, but unfortunately "You must have been a registered member of AVForums.com for at least 14 days. Registration is FREE!"

im a member of it though. if he phones through his order, can he just quote my username or something? actually, it should work anyway if he just orders through my link.

I'm literally after going through this process a few hours ago, I put in a full build order over the phone as the web based account does not deduct the shipping whereas they can do it over the phone. They never asked for my AVForums link so I'd say you could just SAY you're a member and they'll take the order.
    Order went in at 12.45 this morning, email to say it was picked at 13:04 and another email at 14:02 saying it was dispatched, sounds good to me and they were the same cost as HW....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

if he phones through his order, can he just quote my username or something? actually, it should work anyway if he just orders through my link.

Can you do this? I wouldn't mind ordering from scan if I was able to steal someones username for the order? (Sorry for hijacking your tread a bit =P)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If you're competing against a Dell with a HD6670 can't you drop the mobo down a bit and the GPU down a lot? HD6950 is nice but its also €200 of nice. Surely Scan still have some old HD58*0s going for drastically less cash?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

(Assuming this is mainly for gaming), why not simply smack him in the face repeatly until you have convinced him that picking an i7-2600k / HD 6670 Dell over a custom i5-2500k/HD6950 rig is a terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

That ram is 1.65v and you want 1.5v

If you make a business order off scan you won't need to pay vat, but your friend will need to do it through his company but it's 20% off (UK vat).

The "Today only" is retail customers only, you won't be able to order these and have a 0 vat invoice for a business order.

You need to order over the phone to do a business order and have your friends companies vat number plus name and details, you then pay the order on their site after being given a order number that you input to their site and pay there.

For Hardwareversand, you make an order and then send them the order number with you company details + vat number.

Thank you all for the great replies.

So it seems we can order from HWVS. not sure it will work out much cheaper for the inconvenience, but its a much better website and they can have my business for that alone.

i made a new build, and hopefully you'll all have a look it it and lemme know what you think.

i thought he'd get windows 7 from work, but looks bleak, so im gonna get the student €45 upgrade version.

again, OCing isnt a priority, and id rather sacrifice a CPU cooler than drop the 6950 2gb tbh.

budget limit is €1100

the monitor will still come from scan, along with a keyboard, taking out ~€215 from HWVS's budget. -€30 for shipping and -€45 for W7, gives me a grand total budget of €810 for the order to HWVS.

i could probably push the budget up a tiny bit if it was worth the performance gain.

161249.jpg

lets say i had another €50 to throw at this, what would you get? im fairly sure the stock fan will do grand for a mild 4.3ghz OC, so what would you spend the money upgrading besides the heatsink?

thanks again everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Does he really need a headset & Speakers? Personally I would drop the speakers and add the extra cash into buying a new cooler for it.

Do I take it, HMVS don't have the monitor he was looking for?
    As someone said in this tread, try ordering over the phone and get free shipping on the monitor & Keyboard, saves 30 Quid, and you can add that into upgrading something else in the machine itself?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Different brand 6950 for cheaper:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41890&agid=1165

No need for the AS5, the stock cooler has paste on it already.

The 550W SF Amazon will be more than plenty for a single 6950.

I'd spend the extra money on a nicer case. Either the HAF 912 or the 690 II Lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I think what we're forgetting is that you need to compare a 2500K to a plain 2600. Even a mild overclock would put the 2500K ahead, in general.

Keep the €50 as a building & advice fee. ;)

If you are not ordering soon (I know that you said that you would, but even so), scan nearly always have the major components of processors, PSUs, hard drives and some GPUs on their Friday-Monday today only page.

slave1 wrote: »
    I'm literally after going through this process a few hours ago, I put in a full build order over the phone as the web based account does not deduct the shipping whereas they can do it over the phone. They never asked for my AVForums link so I'd say you could just SAY you're a member and they'll take the order.
    Order went in at 12.45 this morning, email to say it was picked at 13:04 and another email at 14:02 saying it was dispatched, sounds good to me and they were the same cost as HW....

Do you have to go through the whole order listing items, or can you just save a basket and ring them up? I hate phone calls, especially long ones. :P

Monotype wrote: »
    Do you have to go through the whole order listing items, or can you just save a basket and ring them up? I hate phone calls, especially long ones. :P

Their system was 'down' yesterday so it was manual, what I did was send them a screeprint via email and worked from that, not too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Excellent. I'll try this next time so (soon hopefully). What about your credit card details? Did you get an invoice or what then?

• Advertisement

I gave them the Cr Card details over the phone, then your man gave me a 'hidden' sub Scan web site address where I could see the total and approve myself on-line.

Advertisement