Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most efficient way to travel from Knocknacarra to Liosban Estate

Options
  • 31-05-2011 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

HI I wonder if anybody knows of an efficient way to get from Knocknacarra (Shangort rd, Seacrest, Joyce's area) to the Liosban Estate on the Tuam Road in Galway? It appears that no buses go across this town at all! Only to or from Eyre Square. It would be for work starting at 9.30/10 am and finishing around 6/7pm Mon-Fri. I was hoping to avoid 2 buses... thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

If you want to avoid 2 buses then you'll have to drive or walk! As far as I'm aware there is only 2 bus services from Knocknacarra and they both go into the Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

The Bus Eireann Knocknacarra/Seacrest bus goes to Renmore, it's the number 2 I think, you could get off at the top of Bohermore beside the Graveyard and walk from there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

The most efficient way? Bicycle.

Up to western distributor rd, down by westside, across the new bridge, over to Roundabout at Menlo Hotel, back entrance to Liosban. 20-25 minutes tops

• Registered Users Posts: 2 headmills

The Bus Eireann Knocknacarra/Seacrest bus goes to Renmore, it's the number 2 I think, you could get off at the top of Bohermore beside the Graveyard and walk from there

... I had an inkling there was something like this but I wasn't sure that the route went this close (to Liosban) - this is an excellent solution, thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Not all of them go through to Renmore, you'll have to check the timetable. Some No.2 and some No.4 IIRC.

• Advertisement

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Not all of them go through to Renmore, you'll have to check the timetable. Some No.2 and some No.4 IIRC.
    You are correct, the timetable is here.

The buses that have LR and M beside the time will all go past the Bohermore stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You are correct, the timetable is here.

The buses that have LR and M beside the time will all go past the Bohermore stop.

I've heard rumours that some of the services that are labelled as "through routes" don't actually go through despite what the timetable says: the driver just tells everyone that he's turning around at Eyre Square. I've only seen it happen once (on a Mervue to Salthill service), and don't know how regularly or otherwise it happens.

If you're doing this sort of commute though, I'd strongly suggest weekly or monthly tickets. They make bus loading faster, and mean you aren't socked for two fares if you do need to break the journey in town.

JustMary wrote: »
    I've heard rumours that some of the services that are labelled as "through routes" don't actually go through despite what the timetable says: the driver just tells everyone that he's turning around at Eyre Square. I've only seen it happen once (on a Mervue to Salthill service), and don't know how regularly or otherwise it happens.

If true, (which I don't doubt) that is bad form, is there anywhere this kind of stuff can be reported as surely it is similar to false advertisement ie offering a service that they are not providing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

JustMary wrote: »

I've had that happen to me a twice on the no2 route. Both times I've been on my way to the Eye and missed the start of the movie because I've had to walk from Eyre Sqyare. :mad:

OP, if you're getting two buses each way don't forget to get a Day Pass. It's €3.50 and you can get as many buses as you like with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

I second the bicycle option. The journey to work will take around 20 minutes and will be wind assisted. You'll arrive at work satisfied and feeling good.

The cycle home is a little more challenging as it's into the wind and uphill.

The most satisfying aspect though is passing out all the cars stuck in the traffic going nowhere fast.

• Advertisement

The main problem with cycling which most people don't take into consideration is the weather here.

All well and good in Holland when you know 9/10 you'll be able to no problem, but it's lashing here more often then not.

And in fairness with this particular cycle it's a bit far in fairness, the average person would be bolloxed by the time they got there, it would be more in line with training for fitness (distance wise).

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

Believe it or not it doesn't rain too often during the daily cycle commute. It may rain at some point during the day but not 24 hours a day.

It's only a 4 mile trip and must be worth giving it a go on the bike during the summer months (or days).
    If it doesn't work out then look at the other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

McTigs wrote: »
    The most efficient way? Bicycle.

Up to western distributor rd, down by westside, across the new bridge, over to Roundabout at Menlo Hotel, back entrance to Liosban. 20-25 minutes tops

Cycling is the most efficient by far, no question. Just dress for the weather, and use lights plus hi-viz gear when it's dark. It's about 6km I think, an absolute doddle on a bike.

The above route is crap, however, IMHO.

Why any self-respecting cyclist would debase themselves by using those rubbish "cycle paths" on and near the Quincentenary Bridge is beyond me, TBH.

IMO it's better to avoid the Seamus Quirke Road (most especially because of the current roadworks) and the series of death-trap roundabouts between it and Liosbaun.

Almost any other route would be preferable, IMO, such as crossing the river via the Salmon Weir Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Worn Out wrote: »
    I second the bicycle option. The journey to work will take around 20 minutes and will be wind assisted. You'll arrive at work satisfied and feeling good.

The cycle home is a little more challenging as it's into the wind and uphill.

Surely the wind isn't always blowing in the same direction, everyday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

The main problem with cycling which most people don't take into consideration is the weather here.

All well and good in Holland when you know 9/10 you'll be able to no problem, but it's lashing here more often then not.

And in fairness with this particular cycle it's a bit far in fairness, the average person would be bolloxed by the time they got there, it would be more in line with training for fitness (distance wise).
    You'd be surprised, I cycle to and from work every day, have done for years and it's actually quite rare i have to put on wet gear.

And 4 miles is hardly a big distance.... is it even that?

Advertisement