Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potato Gratin

Options
  • 31-05-2011 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to make potato gratin!

I ate it before and it kind of a crumbly top with garlic sauce then the potatoes layered underneath!

can anyone give me any tips for the sauce and the top part!

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭francois

small pinch of freshly grated nutmeg is nice in it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

francois wrote: »
    small pinch of freshly grated nutmeg is nice in it

+1 for the nutmeg. It really makes the dish. Don't overfill with cream, otherwise it gets too gloopy and isn't 'saucy'. 3/4s up the dish is plenty, it will bubble up and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

olaola wrote: »
    +1 for the nutmeg. It really makes the dish. Don't overfill with cream, otherwise it gets too gloopy and isn't 'saucy'. 3/4s up the dish is plenty, it will bubble up and over.

can you tell me what ingredients I would need (apart from spuds :P) I've never made it before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

+1 on the nutmeg.
    Use a mandolin slicer (but watch your fingers) to get your potato slices really thin.
    Infuse your cream beforehand with a few sage leaves and a bunch of thyme. also having your cream hot before you pour it on your spuds will dramatically reduce your cooking time in the oven

cream, garlic and butter and milk salt and pepper, pinch nutmeg,

Cut the spuds thinly, about 3-4mm for best results, you'll need decent enough oven dish-grease with butter-for extra garlic flavour, cut a clove in half and rub on the dish first
    do a search on google and you'll find loadsof variations- it's dead easy to make
    If you like it with cheese, get gruyere it will add a nice flavour

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    +1 on the nutmeg.
    Use a mandolin slicer (but watch your fingers) to get your potato slices really thin.
    Infuse your cream beforehand with a few sage leaves and a bunch of thyme. also having your cream hot before you pour it on your spuds will dramatically reduce your cooking time in the oven

Good point about heating the cream, and i have been a victim of those mandolins, bloody lethal!

Advertisement