Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lowest recourse videoplayback software?

• 31-05-2011 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

hey lads.

i got a mini set up for awile now. a pc with 2 monitors. i do my ussual stuff on main and gaming and i like to put on something to watch/listen on ather monitor. its ussually southpark/family guy/father ted on suffle :o.

thing is i am using winamp and it does not look very efficient. its weird too, it likes to die when i start using most of my pc resources.

i dont have money to upgrade my hardware, i might try new software first. so any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

vlc player
    www.videolan.org

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

cookie1977 wrote: »

downloading it now.

thank you. working perfectly, does not crash like winamp under big load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

mplayer is about the lightest weight video player you're gonna get. Supports hardware decoding too.

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Id roll with VLC too, best player I ever came accross been using it for around 5-6years now with no hassle.

• Advertisement

thank you. working perfectly, does not crash like winamp under big load.

You're welcome

Khannie wrote: »
    mplayer is about the lightest weight video player you're gonna get. Supports hardware decoding too.

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html

Their whole website seems dead at the moment. Are they still around?

update: it has very annoying future....

i watch small vids about 20-30 min long, so everytime it switches it restarts and drop on main screen and kicks me from a game...
    any ideas?

Try mplayer then. It's also a good light weight player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

For H.264, CoreAVC is the most efficient software decoder around. Good for old computers or weak CPUs.

It's not free though, and it is not a player, just a decoder. So you would use it with a player like KMPlayer or MPC-HC.

For anything older than H.264 (ie MPEG-4 II, MPEG-2) then your system would want to be completely ancient to be having problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I'd recommend MediaPlayerClassic, it comes with the K-Lite codec pack.

using that VLC and its weird... sometimes it just switches video nicely, but sometimes it kicks me from game and resets its position in main monitor...

some design choices are weird too. I must have too much used to winamp. used that thing since my good old P1 200mhz 32 ram.

working around playlist is annoying :(. will try to get used to it, but its still better then having winamp constantly die when starting up a game or something :(.

Advertisement