Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to Get water out of GARMIN Forerunner ?

Options
  • 31-05-2011 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

out running yesterday in the torrential rain and hail and water has now gotten in under the screen of the garmin so i cant read the screen , any ideas how to dry it up ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

AFAIK RoadRunner is an expert on this one with rather unconventional methods (involving the oven if I recall correctly:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭hootini

How old is it? I sent a 310XT back after 10 months due to condensation appearing behind the screen.

Cheeky feckers in Garmin sent me this waffle:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

A well sealed watch will transmit your body warmth to the air inside
    your watch and if you suddenly plunge into colder water the sudden
    cooling on the outside of the watch can cause condensation to form,
    normally as a mist of small droplets under the glass. This will normally
    evaporate after some time of wearing, or if the watch is placed near to
    a radiator or similar heat source. If it doesn't the watch should be
    returned for inspection."

...my arse it should have moisture in a sealed elecronics unit!

I sent it back and got a new/refurbished one within a week.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Stick it in the hotpress for a few days.

However, my experience with Garmin customer service is the complete opposite to that of hootini.

After taking my 305 apart and seeing it had corroded contacts between the lower battery section and upper containing screen and electronics I came on here looking for a busted one to salvage parts from. I was advised to contact Garmin.

I phoned them and they said send in your 3.5 year old watch and we will replace with a new one for the princely sum of 50 pounds! Defo contact Garmin if it's busted after the hotpress trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

thanks guys but i need a foolproof quickfix job. I got it in the states bout 18months ago, havent a clue where the guarantee , its a 305 and i need it to be right for next monday , i dont want a technique that will involve a screwdriver or any dismantling whatsoever , simple and 100% effective :)

Seres wrote: »
    i need a foolproof quickfix job.

Stick it in the hotpress, seriously. If that does not clear it by Monday then it's knackered most likely.

And don't worry about warranty/proof of purchase if it does come to a return. I had none of this, it was a no questions asked service. And I had previously taken mine apart, you have not I take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hot Press, with some of those silica gel sachets you usually get with new stuff.
    Like this:
    silica_gel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Hot Press, with some of those silica gel sachets you usually get with new stuff.

Or if your not the sort of person who keeps those packs of silica gel, try rice - works for phones:
    http://lifehacker.com/269427/dry-out-your-soaked-gadgets-in-rice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

yea stick it in a zip lock bag full of rice and leave it in hotpress for couple of days. I done that with my ipod touch that went through the washing machine and it worked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

sweet , thanks , just the sort of answers im looking for ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dutchie

Went to Lanzerote for a weeks training last week.
    Went out for a 10km run on day one then went for a quick dip to cool down.
    Dived and resurfaced with half a Forerunner!

I left it out to dry all week and the water behind the screen disappeared.

It appears the electronics are ok.

How am I going to repair it? Are there any garmin repair agents in the Dublin area?
    [IMG][/img]9E2FA80D63F54F19A9B7D35461FF3CAC-0000340186-0002409487-00500L-E6761274AFA340C7A79F9F8BB5FC1D0B.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Dutchie wrote: »

How am I going to repair it? Are there any garmin repair agents in the Dublin area?
    [IMG][/img]9E2FA80D63F54F19A9B7D35461FF3CAC-0000340186-0002409487-00500L-E6761274AFA340C7A79F9F8BB5FC1D0B.jpg
    Send it to Garmin. It really is your best option.

Send it to Garmin. It really is your best option.

And don't tell them you were swimming with it! They should sort it though, they offer very good after sales service from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dutchie

Dutchie wrote: »

I sent my forerunner 405 to Garmin about a month ago, not thinking much if anything was going to happen.
    When low-and-behold a brand spanking new Forerunner 310XT arrived for my attention last week.

310XT is far and away a better unit than the 405.

Thank you GARMIN.

Advertisement