Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House viewings while I'm still a resident

Options
  • 31-05-2011 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

I'm moving out of my house in 3 weeks. I've been there 2 years with no problems. Rent, bills etc. all paid on time.

The landlord is looking to show the house to people before I've left which I said is ok as long as plenty of notice is given when these days are.

However he's now looking for 3 evenings this week and to be honest I'm not happy with it. I've told him one is all that suits me as I work at home in the evenings.

Hopefully this won't turn into a big issue but if it does am I within my rights to refuse to allow viewings until I have vacated the house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Does your lease say anthing?

Potentially offer him a second slot on say Saturday afternoon or some other time that suits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Victor wrote: »
    Does your lease say anthing?

Lease doesn't mention house viewings.
    Potentially offer him a second slot on say Saturday afternoon or some other time that suits you.

I'm more than happy to offer other slots. I'm just making sure I know where I stand if he starts to get pushy.

Hopefully it'll all be fine as I'd prefer not to leave on bad terms but I think he's starting to panic that he won't get new tenants quickly enough (the house is over-priced to be honest).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just explain that you will be working and he has no come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Any viewings have to be at your convenience. I'd give him two time slots- either two evenings a week or an evening and a couple of hours at the weekend- where he can schedule all viewings. That way you know when the house needs to be presentable and he doesn't have to ask you every time he wants to arrange a viewing because he knows the times already.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

am I within my rights to refuse to allow viewings until I have vacated the house?

Your landlord is only allowed enter the house by prior arrangement with you. You are within your rights to refuse access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭zyndacyclone

Just say no. Let him huff and blow. You've been a good tenant.

Advertisement