Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone heading to Killarney this weekend?

• 31-05-2011 2:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭

I didn't see any mention of the Bike Fest on the forum so was wondering is anyone heading down? I'm leaving Thursday morning so maybe I'll see some of ye on the road?:) www.irelandbikefest.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Isn't it just for Harleys? 60 year olds with pony tails and "born to ride" tee shirts? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Isn't it just for Harleys? 60 year olds with pony tails and "born to ride" tee shirts? :D

No you get lots of 'badass' middle aged accountants that have been let out by the missus for the weekend. Usually on a Harley that's so fat and underpowered it doesn't need restricting despite having a 2.4L tractor engine, wearing leathers chaps and a pisspot helmet. The real badasses also wear skull face masks, to impress ze ladies :cool:

(you've probably guessed already, not a fvcking hope I'm going, LOL)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

There should be a load of vans parked up outside killarney this weekend so me thinks.

Few of the lads going alright. Bit going meself

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Heading the other direction to Belfast to get the ferry to Isle of Man for TT2011:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Like these guys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

The bile in here is invigorating.......:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm so glad that wasn't a link to a pair of ass-less chaps.

I'm heading down with a couple of mates for a look-see. We're not into cruisers but we're not prejudiced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I'm going,

Got my leather jacket with skulls, cause I hard. Chaps check, bandana check, tassles check, born to ride t shirt check, bike with dry miles only check.....I'm good to go.

Glad there will be no racers with lads in jeans and runners....

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Niall06 wrote: »
    Heading the other direction to Belfast to get the ferry to Isle of Man for TT2011:D

jealous!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Bit of an attitude around the place if you're not on a harley or at least a cruiser. We're all on sportsbikes, came down with a big group of mates for the craic and the music but to be honest the atmosphere isn't great and it's all very clique-y, none of the harley owners mixing with non-harley owners and none of them mixing with any spotsbike owners.

That's biking in Ireland now, a fashion show!

Bit of an attitude around the place if you're not on a harley or at least a cruiser. We're all on sportsbikes, came down with a big group of mates for the craic and the music but to be honest the atmosphere isn't great and it's all very clique-y, none of the harley owners mixing with non-harley owners and none of them mixing with any spotsbike owners.

That's biking in Ireland now, a fashion show!

I think its more the Harley scene rather than biking as a whole. My.mate got a into bikes late and got a Harley. We sort of tried to advise him not to, but he really wanted one. After a trip to a Harley meet in howth he got rid of it, he was embarrassed to be part of that scene!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Not all the harley chaps are bad. Few of them I know are dead sound. They're all year round bikers though and not the Celtic tiger let's get a bike for sunny days bikers

seanybiker wrote: »
    Not all the harley chaps are bad. Few of them I know are dead sound. They're all year round bikers though and not the Celtic tiger let's get a bike for sunny days bikers

I agree. But I drive a BMW, so any chance to take the piss out of any other bikers, I'll take it.

Have to dis agree I'm here on my own. I drive a Harley. Lots of non Harley heads here and I've had lots of chats with every type of bike owner.

The place I'm staying has ten odd racer lads and I've had a great laugh with them. It's all in your head.

Yeah!! Post 2000!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm just back a couple of hours and must say I had a grand day out. I think most people were just there for the hell of it. I think there wasn't too much happening today unless you wanted to buy a Harley t-shirt.

I think the event has an identity crisis. It's half HD open day/ corporate event and half bike rally. The Harley 'scene' being so well represented is probably intimidating to your average biker but like any large gathering of bikes, there is lots to see. I think it's probably best enjoyed by staying for at least one night and finding a nice route for a spin or some other entertainment entirely fot during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Home a few hours and fairly disappointed with the whole weekend. There wasn't enough actual bike merchandise tents there, instead you had tents selling candles and cheap plastic jewellery.

I would've liked to see one of the big helmet manufacturers with a tent there offering visor cleaning or something like that. Arai offer a service whereby they'll replace all the lining of the helmet, x-ray the helmet etc, they would've cleaned up this weekend.

I would've thought with crowds coming from all over the world there would've been way more bike gear on sale, instead you had tents selling band t-shirts and the like.

Nothing wrong with the stalls that were there but if there was room for them, surely there was room for some of the big retailers to have a tent there.

Stand by what I said already, far too clique-y. One of our group was on a Harley himself but he doesn't just own a Harley he actually drives it so maybe that's why he didn't mix well with the majority of Harley owners there.

They've tried to turn it into a bikefest but haven't made enough of an effort to change it from harleyfest.

The best "bikeshow" is the car park of the RDS for the bike show. Or any bike event in Mondello, just walk around the car parks. The car parks are more interesting than any show

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

Just back from Bike Fest. Wrecked tired and poisoned from three nights drinking!:rolleyes:
    I own a Harley and have been obsessed with them for many years and Bike Fest is not aimed towards me or those like me who drive bikes that just happen to be made by Harley. It is aimed towards non bikers and is merely another (very clever and effective) marketing initiative from HD. What other manufacturer lays on a spread of this size to lure potential customers into a "lifestyle". As a result its a safe sanitized manufactured image and lifestyle. You cant even buy bike parts at it! Only apparel and accessories (read Junk). In short its the biker image as imagined in the boardroom of a marketing company.It was never intended to appeal to all bikers,only those who buy into the factory bull****.
    I had forgiven these shortcoming in previous years as I always enjoyed meeting up with people and having the craic. This year I just got bored with what is essentially the same thing year in and year out. No effort is being made to freshen things up.
    My OH loves it though so I will be probably forced down there again next year!:eek:

BTW.Thin Lizzy were great. Brian Downey playing Sha-La-La was the high point of the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I agree. But I drive a BMW, so any chance to take the piss out of any other bikers, I'll take it.

I was a BeeEmm rider for 15+ years........but I'm alright now.......'cos I have a Road King Custom. Have kept it, and used it more, than any KLT/KRS/R/RT/GS or F that went through my hands.

YMMV :p

Badabing ! :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement