Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 + LAFHA, some quick questions, thanks

Options
  • 31-05-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Hi All

I have read threads and googled this, hopefully someone can give me a bit more info.

Some quick questions:

Is there a min salary you need to be on to qualify for the 457?
    Or is this the most likely visa i will be offered?

My company are offering a 2 year contract, is this ok for 457 or does the contract have to be longer to qualify?

for LAFHA, i have only found out about this today!!

I am on a WHV and work in IT for the last 3 months what are the basic criteria to qualify or not qualify for this?
    I have no real working expenses and they do not house me
    I will be working in head office the whole time and not away from where i live now

Thanks for any info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hi All
    Is there a min salary you need to be on to qualify for the 457?
    Yes, it's on immi.gov.au - I'll let you find it
    Or is this the most likely visa i will be offered?

My company are offering a 2 year contract, is this ok for 457 or does the contract have to be longer to qualify?
    Nope, 2 years is fine
    I am on a WHV and work in IT for the last 3 months what are the basic criteria to qualify or not qualify for this?
    Main criteria is that you are living away from your normal home to work, and your company agrees to pay it.

You can claim rent and food costs as apart of lafha - again do a search of the forum, only 2 weeks ago there was a detailed post of how to calculate this

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Hi hussey thanks for the info i have read all the threads here about both before posting.
    the part i was unclear about was what is the definition of living away from home.

I am here since dec 2010 and living and working in sydney so to me this does not seam like living away from home as i live in Sydney or because im Irish am i considered to be living away from home because i live here!?!
    i hope this is a little clearer

I also forgot another question about how much does the 457 cost me if i pay or the employer if they pay and what is the norm with Oz companies?

Thanks again

well that's the thing, since a 457 is a temporary visa, many people can claim 'away from home'

It's one of those loopholes.

457 the price listing is on the website, but if you go through an agency it is around 1.5-2k

cheers that was what i was trying to find out, maybe phrase my questions better lol

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I am here since dec 2010 and living and working in sydney so to me this does not seam like living away from home as i live in Sydney or because im Irish am i considered to be living away from home because i live here!?!
    i hope this is a little clearer
    you are here on a holiday visa, so you don't live here.
    The 457 is a temp visa, and you are still an irish resident
    hussey wrote: »
    457 the price listing is on the website, but if you go through an agency it is around 1.5-2k

i've seen charges up and above 3k.
    Visa agents, grade A ripped off merchants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

As its coming up to tax returns time, it got me thinking on what this whole LAFHA thing is about.....
    We got sponsored last year, myself as the defacto on my bf's 457 visa - is it correct that only one of us can claim LAFHA? I got in there first anyway so we decided that i'd claim it.
    I get paid through Geoffrey Nathan so they just signed me up for it and never really explained what it was about.
    Basically if I was to try and explain it in my own words.... I barely get taxed. I should be getting taxed about 200-300 a week and instead I pay about 20. But i haven't a clue how GN worked it all out and i don't think its on my payslip.
    How they work it out is like they had a dollar fifty or so onto my hourly rate which baffles me completely and from what i could make out - its just that instead of claiming tax back at the end of tge financial year, i have just not been taxed all along (good thing too as id never have survived this year on 200 less a week off my wages)

Can anyone tell me a bit more about it/is it more complex than that??
    :o Feel pretty foolish having signed up for something I knew nothing about - think they charge me a weekly fee to claim LAFHA on my behalf but ive been temping all year so didnt have the one direct employer to ask.

All info and advice appreciated!

Both of you can claim it as both of you are Living away from home (I assume)

LAFHA is an employer tax benefit, that means your employer gives it to you, rather than you claim it.

How your employer works it out is up to them - best thing is to ask the payroll department

amy you haven't really give us any information to help you out there, your figure of $50 an hour and less $200 a week doesn't really make sense to us.

As I said best to ask them.

also if there is something wrong with lafha then it is also on the company - so they can get into a lot of trouble. I wouldn't be too worried
    wait till your end of year tax slip

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Hey hussey thanks for your reply. Had to look back to where you thought i said $50 an hour (I wish) ha - what I meant is that they add about $1.50 onto my hourly rate (Geoffrey Nathan) so my hourly rate is $28 and then lafha is say $1.50 per hr so end up getting paid $29.50 an hour - this is how Geoffrey Nathan explained it to me.... I'm still lost! Ha hope that explains it a bit better!

From what iv read it seams like its a tax break not a pay increase, correct me if im wrong as im going off things iv read here and there.

for example if you got 1000 a week and you get an allowance of 100 for rent and 100 for food you take 200 from 1000 and then you get taxed on 800.

These are all made up figures but i think thats the gist of it!

what kind of price is the 457 if you do it yourself?

or is it not worth it and i have a higher chance of it been turned down as i dont know the in's and out's of the 'system'!

anyone any idea how much it would cost the company to do it all?

thanks.

• Advertisement

what kind of price is the 457 if you do it yourself?

or is it not worth it and i have a higher chance of it been turned down as i dont know the in's and out's of the 'system'!

anyone any idea how much it would cost the company to do it all?

thanks.

Have a look in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72541507

amybabes wrote: »
    Hey hussey thanks for your reply. Had to look back to where you thought i said $50 an hour (I wish) ha - what I meant is that they add about $1.50 onto my hourly rate (Geoffrey Nathan) so my hourly rate is $28 and then lafha is say $1.50 per hr so end up getting paid $29.50 an hour - this is how Geoffrey Nathan explained it to me.... I'm still lost! Ha hope that explains it a bit better!

they might explain that it is 'like' an extra $1.50 an hour, but in reality it's a tax break.

e.g. Amy earns $30 p/h (1200 per week) and pays $200 a week rent, and gets a $50 food allowance
    so with LAFHA her taxable income is 1200 - 200 - 50 = $950, as opposed to $1200.

again that is just an example - every company is different, you'll need to get the real info from GN

I don't get LAHFA, I asked my pay department about it and I think my boss thought that is was an extra cost for them.

My understand is that it isn't.
    Can somebody who understands it, or gets it help me this into easy terms for the payroll dept.

Using round figures for ease.
    Say my salary is $52,000, so $1,000 a week
    After Tax I take home $800, this is without LAFHA

If LAFHA was applied, what would my salary/weekly wages and tax look like. Roughly.
    We can ignore super.

Also, I imagine that I can't apply it retrospectively come july.

okay gonna go with 1k a week, 800 take home = tax = 20%

say your lafha allowance is 250 so your taxable income = 750 x 20% = 150

so 1000 - 150 = $850 take home.

Note I am not 100% sure if lafha is taken before super or after

if taken before
    then
    1100(pay+super) - 250 = 850
    85(super) + 765(taxable income) = 850
    765 x 20% = 153
    1015(1100 - 85) - 153 = $862 take home

can someone confirm if it is taken before or after super?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Lafha is taken after super.

Also if you are on lafha things like flights home and local transport can also be deducted at the end of the financial year. Lafha is great, unreal how its actually legal but **** it! Im on it and I'm riding the gravy train!
    I get an extra 1k a month because of it!:D Going to delay my PR application as I can squeeze every last bit out of it.

Just add the rent (e.g. 500) and food (e.g 75) = 575

If weekly income is 1500 gross then taxable income is 1500 - 575 = 925
    It adds up very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

LAFHA is a fringe benefit of employment and works off the tax legislation for same. It's the same as having a company car or a free uniform. Certain fringe benefits are tax free up to a certain threshold, all others are heavily taxed.

Because it is an fringe benefit, it is taxable in the hands of the employer, not the employee. If you were to exceed the allowable limits, or to be wrongly paid LAFHA, the employer would pay tax on the excessive amount.

Fringe Benefits are taxed as if they were paid out of after-tax wages and the employee was paying the top rate of tax. I think most employers make you sign a document indemnifying them from any tax liability arising out of the arrangement.

EDIT: From my understanding of FBT legislation the way the employer would be taxed is that you would take the excessive amount, for instance $10,000. Multiply it by the fringe benefit gross up factor (to equate to it being paid out of after tax wages) of 2.0647 and then calculate the tax at the rate of 46.5%. Giving a tax liability for the employer of $9,517. You can see now why employers do not want to stuff this up.
    jank wrote: »
    That sounds very strange. LAFHA is an expense for the employer, not wages. So it sounds odd that there would be super paid on it.
    Mellor wrote: »
    I don't get LAHFA, I asked my pay department about it and I think my boss thought that is was an extra cost for them.
    It is, but if they reduce your salary by the same amount then it is cost neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

can someone confirm if it is taken before or after super?

LAFHA is taken after super Hussey. Super is calculated off gross pay and then LAFHA is calculated on the remainder.

So if Im on $100 an hour, initially $9 (9%) comes off for super and then LAFHA is calculated on remaining $91.

ballooba wrote: »
    That sounds very strange. LAFHA is an expense for the employer, not wages. So it sounds odd that there would be super paid on it.

It is, but if they reduce your salary by the same amount then it is cost neutral.
    By cost neutral, do you mean (again using the example above)
    They reduce wages to $750/wk + $250 LAFHA

That's kind of what I was suggesting, but the immediate issue there would be the fact that its a condition of my visa that i'm paid the same as similar employees. Going that route might vreate an issue as I'd no longer be on par in terms of salary (even if total benefits are the same)

Tricky one
    Feelgood wrote: »
    LAFHA is taken after super Hussey. Super is calculated off gross pay and then LAFHA is calculated on the remainder.

So if Im on $100 an hour, initially $9 (9%) comes off for super and then LAFHA is calculated on remaining $91.

The numbers slightly wrong. Super isn't 9% of your wage/salary, its 9% on top, makes a difference.

If your rate is $100, its $109 including super
    If its $91 it's $99.19 inc super

Eitherway the LAFHA is on the base rate or the base salary
    I just ignore super for the most apart anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

jank wrote: »

Also if you are on lafha things like flights home and local transport can also be deducted at the end of the financial year..

I heard this too but when my employer asked me to show me where this is stated by the immigartion office, I couldn't find this.
    Have you ever actually claimed this back yourself? If you have a link to a document that states this it would be deadly?

I heard this too but when my employer asked me to show me where this is stated by the immigartion office, I couldn't find this.
    Have you ever actually claimed this back yourself? If you have a link to a document that states this it would be deadly?
    It's not immigration law, it's tax law. I've never heard a conclusive answer on this though.

• Advertisement

By cost neutral, do you mean (again using the example above)
    They reduce wages to $750/wk + $250 LAFHA
    Yes. Either they pay you $1000 dollars wages, or they pay you $750 wages plus $250 LAFHA. As long as they do not incur Fringe Benefit Tax, it is cost neutral for them. They may also avoid payroll tax on the LAFHA component.
    That's kind of what I was suggesting, but the immediate issue there would be the fact that its a condition of my visa that i'm paid the same as similar employees. Going that route might vreate an issue as I'd no longer be on par in terms of salary (even if total benefits are the same)

Tricky one
    I believe you're right. Technically I would consider this a breach of the 457 visa conditions. I know when I was claiming LAFHA and there were defined minimum salaries for 457, we had to limit our LAFHA to ensure we did not breach the minimum salary.

The numbers slightly wrong. Super isn't 9% of your wage/salary, its 9% on top, makes a difference.

If your rate is $100, its $109 including super
    If its $91 it's $99.19 inc super

Eitherway the LAFHA is on the base rate or the base salary
    I just ignore super for the most apart anyway.

You're right LAFHA is off base salary. Thats the way in works in contracting though mellor, your daily or hourly rates will always include super. If I pull a contract on $100 an hour, what that really means is my base salary is $91.

You can claim back a percentage of flights and travel, the figure I heard was 30% but I haven't managed to find any solid documentation on this either.

As ballooba said its not an employment, its a tax law. So when you are submitting your tax return at the end of the year you will include this as an expense. You need to keep boarding passes as proof though.

Your still not geting my point, I know contracting is always quoted as $100 inc super, my point is the numbers are wrong.

If the total rate is $100 inc. super then the base rate is $91.75 not $91, that's all I was pointing out.

Your still not geting my point, I know contracting is always quoted as $100 inc super, my point is the numbers are wrong.

If the total rate is $100 inc. super then the base rate is $91.75 not $91, that's all I was pointing out.

Ah yeah I see what you're getting at, $100 = 109% so 0.91 x 9%

Sorry too much beer this week. :pac:

Feelgood wrote: »
    As ballooba said its not an employment, its a tax law. So when you are submitting your tax return at the end of the year you will include this as an expense. You need to keep boarding passes as proof though.
    I don't think it is worth drawing attention to yourself. Keep it vanilla when lodging tax returns, it's not the time to stand out from the crowd;). By claiming deductions for flights you are drawing attention to your LAFHA benefits.

ballooba wrote: »
    I don't think it is worth drawing attention to yourself. Keep it vanilla when lodging tax returns, it's not the time to stand out from the crowd;). By claiming deductions for flights you are drawing attention to your LAFHA benefits.
    ???
    There's nothign wrong with claiming LAFHA I thought?

???
    There's nothign wrong with claiming LAFHA I thought?

There's not, but if you claim a big tax break, they can invesigate you, and you have to produce everything you claim etc - up to 3 years (I think)

but once it is legit, then claim it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

There's not, but if you claim a big tax break, they can invesigate you, and you have to produce everything you claim etc - up to 3 years (I think)

but once it is legit, then claim it

Think they can go back up to 7 years.

Best to fly under the radar if you like to be creative with your tax return.

• Advertisement

Well yeah, if you are being a bit excitable with claims, but the other posts simply said drawing attention to LAFHA. I thought I might of been missing something,

Advertisement