Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 + LAFHA, some quick questions, thanks

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

So the reason being is that I have a permanent contract...yet im on a 457 visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Visa Application Charge $305

Nomination Charge $80

Sponsorship Charge $405

The Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold – currently $49 330 per annum

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mossysheehan

Hello,

Any help/advice would be fantastic... I have been talking to people in DIAC and doing my own research and reading but it's getting me nowhere. The DIAC aren't allowed embellish anything apparently so will only give you very matter-of-fact(mostly unhelpful) answers.

I've just over 2 months before i reach my six month limit with current employer... Working in regional WA as a civil engineer so it counts as my 3 months "farmwork". I'm pretty sure at this stage i want to stay on here and the boss is happy to keep me and will sign forms, pay nomination fees etc. no bother. I think I have 3 options: 857,457 and 2nd yr WHV.

1st question. How likely is it if I apply for an extension to the 6month max rule that I'll be successful? If i could get an extension of 2 months my 2nd WHV would start then i'd have another 6 months here (giving me over a year with this company). This would be my preferred option as I don't have much relevant work experience(less than 1 year at home) so am unsure whether I'd even qualify for an 857.

Thats enough reading for now i guess, I'll annoy ye with more questions if anyone can help. I'd talk to a migration consultant but the closest one is a 5 hr drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I've just over 2 months before i reach my six month limit with current employer...

1st question. How likely is it if I apply for an extension to the 6month max rule that I'll be successful? If i could get an extension of 2 months my 2nd WHV would start then i'd have another 6 months here (giving me over a year with this company). This would be my preferred option as I don't have much relevant work experience(less than 1 year at home) so am unsure whether I'd even qualify for an 857. .

I don't think you'll get an extension on farm work, you can apply, but for farmwork I can't see them extending (as far as I can tell it is usually for critical work) you'll just have to find something else for 2months and head back after the 2months.

hussey wrote: »
    I don't think you'll get an extension on farm work, you can apply, but for farmwork I can't see them extending (as far as I can tell it is usually for critical work) you'll just have to find something else for 2months and head back after the 2months.

Sorry, my last post probably wasn't very clear. I am working as an engineer in regional WA. This counts towards my second year visa as it is specified work (construction) in a regional area. How do they decide what critical work is? I know they find it quite hard to fill engineering positions out of the major cities so maybe this will count. If i fill out the forms and apply how long is a decision likely to take? Will i get it before my six months is up... Will they say "you have been granted x amount of weeks/months extension" or what? My aim is to stay here for maybe another year or something but not have to commit to them for the next 2/3 years until I know for sure what i want..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Sorry, my last post probably wasn't very clear. I am working as an engineer in regional WA. This counts towards my second year visa as it is specified work (construction) in a regional area. How do they decide what critical work is? I know they find it quite hard to fill engineering positions out of the major cities so maybe this will count. If i fill out the forms and apply how long is a decision likely to take? Will i get it before my six months is up... Will they say "you have been granted x amount of weeks/months extension" or what? My aim is to stay here for maybe another year or something but not have to commit to them for the next 2/3 years until I know for sure what i want..

did you read the website http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/obligations.htm
    it's pretty clear.

Yes... I have read that... Yes... It is pretty clear... But... With there being a major shortage of workers in WA, the visa conditions have been relaxed which means these conditions have also been relaxed. I have heard of people given more than 3 month extensions, and this is without applying for another more permanent visa beforehand.

Advertisement